Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

sideswipe wrote: »
    Made in China;)

Could post at a later date when they receive them. Or, look to an alternative company who may be able to fulfil the order with stock they have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the cancelling of the Expo is taken by other events as being the way forward for them to copy then things are not looking too bad, except for the sponsors selling their wares. The Expo is the most risky grouping of people and you'd be exposed to far fewer different people just crowded into your start pens than at the Expo.

Then just avoid sharing bottles of water on the way round and there really isn't much contact between people in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Belfast Marathon which is on May 4th - have cancelled the expo/number pick up. They have also made the decision to not give out t shirts at the event, which I find a really strange decision.

https://belfastcitymarathon.com/news/General/Important-Information-4-March-2020

Best decision ever.

T-shirts are a waste for most runners.
    So too the pain and expense of picking up numbers at expos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Limerick is on the same day as Belfast - 3rd May. Will be interesting to see how Limerick react.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

robinph wrote: »
    If the cancelling of the Expo is taken by other events as being the way forward for them to copy then things are not looking too bad, except for the sponsors selling their wares. The Expo is the most risky grouping of people and you'd be exposed to far fewer different people just crowded into your start pens than at the Expo.

Then just avoid sharing bottles of water on the way round and there really isn't much contact between people in the race.
    Bag drop or starting pens is going to be no different than the expo IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes in that you are in close proximity to other people, but it's a much smaller set of people at the bag drop and starting pen as it's just going to be the few around the same pace as you or with similar race numbers to you and you then all go off together.

At the Expo you'll be passing by a much wider range of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The expo is all about the shops, not the number pickup. Unless you go in, grab your number and get out, you're walking around, picking things up, trying things on, grabbing free stuff that someone might have sneezed on, etc. etc etc. Much riskier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Murph_D wrote: »
    The expo is all about the shops, not the number pickup. Unless you go in, grab your number and get out, you're walking around, picking things up, trying things on, grabbing free stuff that someone might have sneezed on, etc. etc etc. Much riskier!

I do agree to an extent given the race is outside in an obviously much more ventilated environment. Running through a vapour cloud of snot rockets and sweat makes might make some people nervous enough though, not to mention drink stations and snotty nosed kids holding out jelly babies in there grubby little hands:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I do agree to an extent given the race is outside in an obviously much more ventilated environment. Running through a vapour cloud of snot rockets and sweat makes might make some people nervous enough though, not to mention drink stations and snotty nosed kids holding out jelly babies in there grubby little hands:pac:

I never take those jelly babies and never will!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭racersedge

Interesting to note the measures been taken over in the Czech Republic for their half marathon later this month with everything into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

racersedge wrote: »
    Interesting to note the measures been taken over in the Czech Republic for their half marathon later this month with everything into consideration.

Was only in Prague last week, very relaxed to the whole situation. Being sensible re approach to the HM to.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

Heres the text from Meath County board:

Meath Athletics Indoor T&F League Day 2 (4th March) and Day 3 (11th March) canceled.
    Meath Athletics Primary School Cross Country this Friday (6th March) postponed.
    In the light of advice received, we are taking the prudent precaution of making the above decisions in order to avoid unnecessary gatherings. This decision has not been taken lightly. We will look at other events as matters unfold over the next weeks.
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    Meath County Board.

They are saying it was on the back of advice. I wonder who the advice was from? Hardly HSE as the government has said there is no plan to curtail mass participation events yet. Anyway, a few more confirmed cases and we'll likely see more postponements.

It was absolutely not advice from the HSE. If the HSE was so worried they would close the schools where the same kids are already together all day every day.

They were asked to point to the 'advice' and they did not do so. It just sounds like a phrase you throw out to sound serious.

It's an overreaction and is not based on ration or science. Frankly, they are only feeding the fear and panic.

Large numbers travelling from around the world (like the London Marathon) you could argue for a cancellation. Not for a few kids who are already in the local area anyway with no known cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

Definitely not. The EXPO is indoors with lots of surfaces to touch and trying on clothes and shaking hands and general direct interaction. Plus you'd be in there for say an hour or more.

Starting pens are very different. Bag drop seems like a minor issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

European Masters Indoor Championships in Braga has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    European Masters Indoor Championships in Braga has been cancelled.

No doubt your information is right. But do you have a link, I didn't see anything in the website about the cancellation, but I might have missed it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ceepo wrote: »
    No doubt your information is right. But do you have a link, I didn't see anything in the website about the cancellation, but I might have missed it. Thanks

Not cancelled, but postponed until Jan 21, it's on their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ceepo wrote: »

Just going off what the masters guys in my group are saying, as they planned to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Rome Marathon on 29/03 has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

RubyK wrote: »
    Rome Marathon on 29/03 has been cancelled.

I reckon most major running events in 2020 are heading that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EasyG

ISOP wrote: »
    I reckon most major running events in 2020 are heading that way
    I'm running a 10k in central park at the end of the month. Praying to Jah it's not cancelled. Flights & accom paid.
    It's a flu ffs. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

echancrure wrote: »
    Best decision ever.

T-shirts are a waste for most runners.
    So too the pain and expense of picking up numbers at expos.

Sponsors like T-shirts for the advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

EasyG wrote:
    It's a flu ffs. .

And there's 99% of the problem right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

London looks to be in trouble now.
    Thank God Dublin is in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It could be a lot worse by then sure it's only getting going

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

this hasn't even got really going yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

the toyoko olympics might eb concelled

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

cheltenham also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

OOnegative wrote: »
    Paris Marathon delayed.

To be expected with the increase in new cases in France this week unfortunately... i might look at a replacement in May - maybe Limerick

• Advertisement

Paris Marathon on 5th April cancelled (although they are officially calling it delayed).

Advertisement