Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

In the UK they tell the public in detail where the positive cases are from and where the possible infection sources are.

Here the HSE released really vague information about the first 2 cases here, which results in crazy speculation and all kinds of unfounded rumors. The excuse of patient confidentiality for this vagueness is quite frankly ridiculous.

Meticulous case and contact identification is how you limit the spread of viral diseases like this and also by keeping the public onside and informed. So said Dr Bruce Aylward the WHO expert who defeated Ebola in Africa and who has almost defeated Polio worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m048uAa8L3k

I do realize that we are all facing this huge unprecedented public health emergency for the first time and therefore everyone (including the HSE) deserves some slack, but mealy mouthed evasive answers to legitimate questions destroys trust and is not the way to go.

Please stop hiding essential information from us HSE and Health Minister… straight talking, transparency and honesty is key to defeating this menace which threatens us all.

They are being vague for a reason tho, its to avoid widespread panic, imagine the paranoia that would set in if they put out there could be more cases thru out the country. They are in a difficult spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Cupatae wrote: »
    or just be dying sick in the heat, which would be an absolute **** buzz

Heat?? You must be new to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Good man Harris. Call off the rugby but leave thousands arrive from Italy on a daily basis. Wouldn't want to disrupt the global economy. It was always going to get here but Christ on a bike we could have made it a little harder.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

In the UK they tell the public in detail where the positive cases are from and where the possible infection sources are.

Here the HSE released really vague information about the first 2 cases here, which results in crazy speculation and all kinds of unfounded rumors. The excuse of patient confidentiality for this vagueness is quite frankly ridiculous.

Meticulous case and contact identification is how you limit the spread of viral diseases like this and also by keeping the public onside and informed. So said Dr Bruce Aylward the WHO expert who defeated Ebola in Africa and who has almost defeated Polio worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m048uAa8L3k

I do realize that we are all facing this huge unprecedented public health emergency for the first time and therefore everyone (including the HSE) deserves some slack, but mealy mouthed evasive answers to legitimate questions destroys trust and is not the way to go.

Please stop hiding essential information from us HSE and Health Minister… straight talking, transparency and honesty is key to defeating this menace which threatens us all.

Not sure I agree, Simon Harris was getting abuse on RTE Radio 1 for not revealing whether the NI case travelled on a train or not to Belfast. But I can see why he wouldnt and he was unapologetic about it. Sometimes more details only contribute to hysteria that will not only cause serious economic problems, but more importantly wont actually help prevent the spread of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Im sure if we make it to Summer the heat will help rid us of this pestilence

More global warming we need! Pipe down Greta!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

tom1ie wrote: »
    Thailand?
    Court-town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Does anyone know where we can get actual data?

Could we all be making scary graphs instead of saying scary things?

RoryMac wrote: »
    Heat?? You must be new to Ireland

Shur wasnt the country literally on fire one of the summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do Dettol do shampoo and body wash? I have the soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah, but only if we're still allowed fly to those warm countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's speading in cold and freezing Bahrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

gabeeg wrote: »
    Does anyone know where we can get actual data?

Could we all be making scary graphs instead of saying scary things?

This gives a lot more granular detail than worldometers page, and seems mostly accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_outbreak

Links point to other wiki pages for some countries with outbreaks where you'll find even more numbers, case details - e.g Italy outbreak page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Third thread Ive read at this stage, god knows how many posts. Have I taken precaution? Yes, Have I purchased tinned food etc? Yes.

What I cannot understand is the people who are demanding we all take the doom merchant approach. Yes lets all be sensible, lets all take precaution but the absolute extreme views amaze me.

People, lets just..

1) Wash their hands regularly
    2) If you have a cough, cough into your arm/elbow region

Two basic things we need to do, lets not go overboard on freaking out but lets also not be so blase. There is a middle ground here.
    People do love a bit of drama just as much as tin foil hat accusations. What a country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

wylo wrote: »
    Not sure I agree, Simon Harris was getting abuse on RTE Radio 1 for not revealing whether the NI case travelled on a train or not to Belfast. But I can see why he wouldnt and he was unapologetic about it. Sometimes more details only contribute to hysteria that will not only cause serious economic problems, but more importantly wont actually help prevent the spread of anything.

People will panic more when a glut of cases pops up 'out of nowhere'. So you buy a week or two of no panic, spread it more and finally confirm 20 cases at once.

Containment and transparency are the only game in town and the threshold before it gets out of control is in the tens of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do Dettol do shampoo and body wash? I have the soap

They do, it's just like the normal bottle but you apply it to your hair and body. Enjoy your stripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Best quote iv'e seen on the virus.

"If only this could only infect Brexit voters, prior to 2016"

Night folks

wylo wrote: »

Oh yeah, it's such a threat yet he can't tell any possible people that may have come in contact with this person to get checked out.
    Details are all that matter for events such as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

tom1ie wrote: »
    1000 cases in Italy 29 deaths. BBC news

Any break down on the age bracket of the deceased( not that that makes it any better) It’s a high number of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Cupatae wrote: »
    They are being vague for a reason tho, its to avoid widespread panic, imagine the paranoia that would set in if they put out there could be more cases thru out the country. They are in a difficult spot.

IMHO the vagueness is more likely to cause panic, because it spawns so many unfounded rumors and much ridiculous speculation.

Unvarnished truth, transparency and honesty is the only way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Anyone going to the supermarket tomorrow to stock up? Be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Downlinz wrote: »

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Already done

IMHO the vagueness is more likely to cause panic, because it spawns so many unfounded rumors and much ridiculous speculation.

Unvarnished truth, transparency and honesty is the only way to go

Shush with your sensible talk now. Cloak and daggers is the only way. Well that and no mass gatherings for international rugby games but all the other mass gathers for sporting events are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They’ve already been out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is nothing to fear but...having to go shopping with the missus.

Thus that's a 'no' from me.

No need anyhow. It's not that serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

citysights wrote: »
    Any break down on the age bracket of the deceased( not that that makes it any better) It’s a high number of deaths.

Mostly late 70s to 90s, two in their 60s with underlying conditions. I don't claim to have seen details for all, but brief case details are summarised on the wiki page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Italy

Third thread Ive read at this stage, god knows how many posts. Have I taken precaution? Yes, Have I purchased tinned food etc? Yes.

What I cannot understand is the people who are demanding we all take the doom merchant approach. Yes lets all be sensible, lets all take precaution but the absolute extreme views amaze me.

People, lets just..

1) Wash their hands regularly
    2) If you have a cough, cough into your arm/elbow region

Two basic things we need to do, lets not go overboard on freaking out but lets also not be so blase. There is a middle ground here.
    People do love a bit of drama just as much as tin foil hat accusations. What a country we live in.

Cancel gatherings aswell, twud only be asking for it, but i can see why people get carried away.. there are statistics and updates on the regular, that dont exactly inspire calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

skimpydoo wrote: »
    To those who say it's like the flu and you will recover that's not so for me and many others with compromised immune systems.

Not so for my mother either. She had pneumonia twice last year and was hospitalised with it. I worried that if she gets this she wouldn't survive. Only in her 60s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A month ahead of you. been picking up extra bits and have enough stuff if we are told to stay in. Not in a panicked way at all. Nothing we won't use again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement