Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I heard Joan Burton on Sean O’Rourke and it wasn’t just about the election but also her life and times. Grand, I thought it might be interesting.

She turned her defeat in Dublin West into an anti-women issue. And it’s not just an issue for Dublin West, she took listeners on a history tour explaining the lack of women in the Dáil, the Seanad and the cabinet. She spent more time on Mary Lou as a women leader then a leader , why does it matter?

The good people in Dublin West didn’t vote out Burton and Ruth Coppinger on a gender basis, just they were not the best public reps up for election.

When I contacted my local TDs In Dublin West over an issue everyone replied (well their secretaries mostly) except Burton. Hell even Jack Chambers took the time to telephone me. Joan Burton was invisible since 2016

But anyway , shame on the Irish electorate for rejecting women candidates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

marno21 wrote: »
    The N5 Westport-Turlough scheme (which is actually costing €128m to construct - not sure where the Government pulled the 240m figure from - the total project cost will be more than 128m but the rest is sunk costs including land purchase) has been fully assessed and represents value for money. It improves 25km of the national road network, for cars, freight and buses, improves safety and journey times.

Having an advanced, thriving economy requires a fit for purpose road network. The N5 between Westport and east of Castlebar (which is part of the EU TEN-T comprehensive network I will add) does not constitute fit for purpose.
    Loadsamoney for de roads, but no money for de buses and trains.

Ever wonder why we have a climate crisis, a traffic crisis, an inequality crisis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Are any of the parties even talking about ending the awful abuse of politician expenses that we got over the last few years?
    I know they were all at it but FG were especially bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can someone explain why a rent freeze is unconstitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can someone explain why a rent freeze is unconstitutional?
    It would put the idea of introducing laws for the common good up against personal rights and end up in court anyway.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/rent-freeze-4929058-Dec2019/

• Advertisement

Are any of the parties even talking about ending the awful abuse of politician expenses that we got over the last few years?
    It's a full Dail matter to work them out or modify how they work and they all exploit them to the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

With things looking as though they will be on the slow boat for a while yet, I see with disdain all SF can do is plan public rallies to harass bully and intimidate the country to its own ends. hardly helping at all.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

What do people think of the stated Soc Dem position that they will not enter a coalition that includes FF and FG ? It seems to make no sense.
    Roisin Shortall has been on the media almost on a weekly basis for years prating about Health. Now , with an all-party agreement about the Slaintecare policy, she has an opportunity to leverage her appointment as Min for Health so that she can take charge of implementing it.
    The bigger parties would welcome the addition of the S Dems to present a more vivid image of change so they would be in a stronger negotiating position than usual. To not even investigate the possibilities of forming a programme for gov is absurd . The S Dems and Greens would constitute 20 % of gov -which would certainly equal change . The SDs could still walk away if not enough of their red lines were met.
    I can only conclude that Shortall is afraid of the challenge of actually taking on the responsibility of being in government and would prefer to continue offering idealistic platitudes from the safety of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

EXCELLENT question. BUT if I remember correctly, wasn't it the bould Enda who said he would put a stop to all this travel abuse?

boardise wrote: »
    What do people think of the stated Soc Dem position that they will not enter a coalition that includes FF and FG ? It seems to make no sense.
    Roisin Shortall has been on the media almost on a weekly basis for years prating about Health. Now , with an all-party agreement about the Slaintecare policy, she has an opportunity to leverage her appointment as Min for Health so that she can take charge of implementing it.
    The bigger parties would welcome the addition of the S Dems to present a more vivid image of change so they would be in a stronger negotiating position than usual. To not even investigate the possibilities of forming a programme for gov is absurd . The S Dems and Greens would constitute 20 % of gov -which would certainly equal change . The SDs could still walk away if not enough of their red lines were met.
    I can only conclude that Shortall is afraid of the challenge of actually taking on the responsibility of being in government and would prefer to continue offering idealistic platitudes from the safety of opposition.
    I actually think she should be given the MoH job anyway, not because she might be up to it but because it is time to show what she's got.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You answered your own question.

The SDs know their inclusion in an FF/FG govt would provide a "vivid image" and nothing more. They don't believe there would be any actual change just a pretence and some lip service. Just like when Enda promised "new politics" and the LP took the fall when it become obvious it was the same old politics.

Propping up the Duoply is not in any way, shape, or form "change". It's business as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

EXCELLENT question. BUT if I remember correctly, wasn't it the bould Enda who said he would put a stop to all this travel abuse?

Yeah it's a bit rich FFG trying to bring SF's murky past into view when FFG TDs are corrupt today and have been very corrupt for the past 2 decades. I am talking about expense corruption primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I wouldn't wish the job of minister for health on my worst enemy

You actually need about 3 ministers to properly tackle the changes needed - infrastructure, staffing, organisational

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You answered your own question.

The SDs know their inclusion in an FF/FG govt would provide a "vivid image" and nothing more. They don't believe there would be any actual change just a pretence and some lip service. Just like when Enda promised "new politics" and the LP took the fall when it become obvious it was the same old politics.

Propping up the Duoply is not in any way, shape, or form "change". It's business as usual.

FF + FG + Greens =84 so SDs not strictly needed .What I was saying is that the SDs could manage to become part of a new administration if they had the appetite for it -since the 'image' issue would be the open door for the others to accept them in. 'Image' is only a notional construct in other minds - the SD presence could be a transformative reality.
    Shortall stands exposed as a quitter -all pompous vapourings but no inclination to fight to be the change she has been preaching about ad nauseam.
    I don't think we're in the circumstances the Labour Party were in when struggling with a deep recession -but if the SDs are indeed concerned about their electoral fate after a spell in a broad 4 party coalition then they're no different from than any other party who put their own welfare above the needs of the country.
    What would indeed represent 'more of the same ' is the SDs sitting virtuously in opposition yet again while telling everyone else how things should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You actually need about 3 ministers to properly tackle the changes needed - infrastructure, staffing, organisational
    You need to not be afraid of bad press while you sort it out. The problem is that these guys are thinking about the next election all the time. You'll never sort out the health service if you are afraid of upsetting people.

FF + FG + Greens =84 so SDs not strictly needed .What I was saying is that the SDs could manage to become part of a new administration if they had the appetite for it -since the 'image' issue would be the open door for the others to accept them in. 'Image' is only a notional construct in other minds - the SD presence could be a transformative reality.
    Shortall stands exposed as a quitter -all pompous vapourings but no inclination to fight to be the change she has been preaching about ad nauseam.
    I don't think we're in the circumstances the Labour Party were in when struggling with a deep recession -but if the SDs are indeed concerned about their electoral fate after a spell in a broad 4 party coalition then they're no different from than any other party who put their own welfare above the needs of the country.
    What would indeed represent 'more of the same ' is the SDs sitting virtuously in opposition yet again while telling everyone else how things should be done.

And what I am saying is that an FF/FG coalition would have nothing new about it.
    It would be the same old we have had since the formation of the state.

Your personal attacks on Shorthall would suggest you are not an SD voter.
    I am.
    I did not vote for them to give the illusion that something might possibly maybe have a hint of a tinge of change to a grand neo-liberal alliance.

Why should the SDs compromise on their ethos by supporting 2 parties with completely different ideologies when neither FF or FG are willing to compromise theirs by going into coalition with SF?

Is Leo a "quitter"? He has made it clear he wants to lead the opposition. This from the man who was leader of the country a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

And what I am saying is that an FF/FG coalition would have nothing new about it.
    It would be the same old we have had since the formation of the state.

Your personal attacks on Shorthall would suggest you are not an SD voter.
    I am.
    I did not vote for them to give the illusion that something might possibly maybe have a hint of a tinge of change to a grand neo-liberal alliance.

Why should the SDs compromise on their ethos by supporting 2 parties with completely different ideologies when neither FF or FG are willing to compromise theirs by going into coalition with SF?

Is Leo a "quitter"? He has made it clear he wants to lead the opposition. This from the man who was leader of the country a few weeks ago.
    Lead the opposition? That can only happen if FF and SF go into coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

It worked out so well for Mary Harney and her party, not sure what Shortall is scared of.

Lead the opposition? That can only happen if FF and SF go into coalition.

Perhaps he has delusions of grandeur.

Umaro wrote: »
    It worked out so well for Mary Harney and her party, not sure what Shortall is scared of.

What party would that be?
    How many seats did they win this time around?

Why on Earth would a left leaning party refuse to support a neo-liberal coalition when a neo-liberal party did so well out of being in a neo-liberal coalition with just one of the proposed partners that they are now an ex-party?

Gosh, that is a brain teaser isn't it.

Perhaps you could explain to me why it is ok for FF and FG to refuse to work with SF for ideological reasons but it's not ok for the SDs to refuse to work with FF/FG for the exact same reason?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah it's a bit rich FFG trying to bring SF's murky past into view when FFG TDs are corrupt today and have been very corrupt for the past 2 decades. I am talking about expense corruption primarily.
    Which FF or FG TDs are corrupt today and have been very corrupt for the past 2 decades.
    How have they gained from their corruption

Umaro wrote: »
    Well Harney really, but she had the cojones to take it on. Not a complete success but probably one of our best MoH.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well Harney really, but she had the cojones to take it on. Not a complete success but probably one of our best MoH.

How many women have died thanks to Mary Harney the MoH who outsourced cervical cancer screening to save money?
    How much did she save in the long-term?

"Not a complete success" is, imo, spitting on the women whose lives she valued so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

How many women have died thanks to Mary Harney the MoH who outsourced cervical cancer screening to save money?

"Not a complete success" is, imo, spitting on the women whose lives she valued so little.

None died because the testing was outsourced. Any lab could have misread the tests. The issue was that when the mistakes were identified the patients weren’t told straight away, therefore they were less likely to recover.

tobsey wrote: »
    None died because the testing was outsourced. Any lab could have misread the tests. The issue was that when the mistakes were identified the patients weren’t told straight away, therefore they were less likely to recover.

The issue was that early signs of cancer were missed , picked up in subsequent tests, and the women concerned were not told.

In fact, senior health practitioners warned Mary Harney in 2008 that outsourcing screening to the US could result in up too 1,000 early warning signs being missed per year. She was warned it was against best medical practice and went ahead anyway. That is not the sign of a good minister for health.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/warning-against-smear-test-outsourcing-1.822846?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fwarning-against-smear-test-outsourcing-1.822846

and why did the medical experts warn Minister Harney?
    Let's see what Doctor David Gibbons chair of the cytology/histology group in the quality assurance committee of the National Cervical Screening Program had to say.
    Ireland follows the same smear system as the UK – where in-depth screens are carried out every three years. However, America screens on a yearly basis.

Gibbons said: “The United States system screens on a yearly basis, and they do a quick screen every year so they get repeated bites at the cherry.

“In Ireland, the system was set up with a three-year screen. A three-year screen works if you have a deep screen every three years.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/smear-tests-outsourced-missing-3985784-Apr2018/

I believe that there is a female politician at large who knows all there is to know about health ,who has a heart of gold , who acts from the purest of motives and is inspired by the loftiest ethical standards.
    Now if only someone could get a message to her up on the high moral ground where she resides -maybe she could be persuaded to come to our rescue
    Roisin - thy hour is come. Destiny is calling . The sick and suffering of Ireland await your salving touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

tobsey wrote: »

Don't think that's how it went.

When the women were diagnosed in later years, to check the efficacy of the system they looked back over any previous tests to see if anything was overlooked.

I believe (?) elsewhere (England?) more than half the women once diagnosed didn't want the results of earlier tests made known to them. It would make no difference to the treatments they were getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would put the idea of introducing laws for the common good up against personal rights and end up in court anyway.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/rent-freeze-4929058-Dec2019/

I would hope and expect the Courts to dissallow rent freezes.

Effectively a rent freeze picks a group of citizens (landlords) to transfer money to another group of citizens (tenants). If the Govt wants to help tenants (financially, say) it should do it through a rent subsidy as in the HAP scheme.

IN the longer term it should provide for an increase in housing supply so that the market causes rents to fall - as it has done for centuries.

There is no reason a tenant may not be wealthier than the landlord of his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In fairness, you have been giving out yarns about how FF and FG wont go into a coaltion government with SF.
    Now when your beloved SD state similar about FF and FG you defend it.

Hypocrite much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The wrong question asked there. How many womens lives have been saved by the introduction of cervical cancer screening in the first place?
    Afaik, this was intoduced when MH was MoH.

Advertisement