Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

Options
  • 22-02-2020 8:25am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's on.
    Deadline

It’s official. Months after the 25th anniversary of the launch of Friends, the cast will be reuniting exclusively for an untitled unscripted special for HBO Max. It will be directed by Ben Winston and produced by Fulwell 73 (The Late Late Show with James Corden) and Warner Bros. Unscripted & Alternative Television.

Series stars Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer will return to the iconic comedy’s original soundstage, Stage 24, on the Warner Bros. Studio lot in Burbank to film the reunion special. The sextet also will serve as executive producers alongside Friends creators Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane.

The special, along with all 236 episodes of the Emmy-winning 1994-2004 NBC series, will be available to subscribers at the launch of HBO Max in May.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

"Unscripted"

It will probably just be them watching old clips of the show together and telling behind the scenes stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FHFM50 wrote: »
    "Unscripted"

It will probably just be them watching old clips of the show together and telling behind the scenes stories.

That's exactly what it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

And they're getting $2.5 million EACH for this! :eek:

Wish someone would pay me that to sit around on a couch and reminisce with old work colleagues for an hour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shelga wrote: »
    And they're getting $2.5 million EACH for this! :eek:

Wish someone would pay me that to sit around on a couch and reminisce with old work colleagues for an hour.

Most of the people I work with do that now and get paid for it :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don’t get why this is getting so much press, it’s unscripted. Will be a waste of time looking at old clips and stories from the set. Zzzz.

It makes for an easy click bait article for IG and FB. Everyone of them sharing the article but not mentioning it’s unscripted. The comments underneath are woeful. Does anyone read articles or do their own research anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I do like Friends but don't like how it built up a fan base of millenial hipster types. I prefer Frasier which has more of an underground fan base. I don't like these reboots like Birds of a feather and Will & Grace, it kind of takes the shine off the show, it is hard to explain. In that sense i would consider it a good thing that it isn't going to be a proper episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

WTF??

Is it not going to be an actual episode?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    WTF??

Is it not going to be an actual episode?

Nope it’s not. It’s a clip show with a sit down interview with the actors not the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"Unscripted"

I'll probably still watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If it's anything like The Inbetweeners reunion it will be awful

• Advertisement

It is just going to be one big advertisement for HBO Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The one where nobody gives a shit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess you gotta pay for that house extension somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

pixelburp wrote: »
    I guess you gotta pay for that house extension somehow?

They still make $20m each a year from royalties alone - I think they're good on that front!

Bit of a damp squib really, but hey, an actual reboot probably would have sucked major balls anyway. As a superfan, I'll still watch this :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"Unscripted"

I was confused as to why the word unscripted was so deliberately prominent in the promo blurb as well. I couldn't imagine that they would be doing an improvisation. If it really is them just talking about the old episodes, then it is completely disingenuous to call it a one off special, as this would make people think that it was an actual episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Never really got the whole friends buzz. Think I'll be giving this a miss.

They are to film it next week.
    The Friends reunion special, one of the most high-profile TV casualties of the Covid-19 pandemic, is set to finally start shooting.

Sources have confirmed that HBO Max’s unscripted special will begin taping in Los Angeles next week.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/friends-hbo-max-reunion-special-to-shoot-next-week-1234726772/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never really got the whole friends buzz. Think I'll be giving this a miss.

Same here, could never get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I do like Friends but don't like how it built up a fan base of millenial hipster types. I prefer Frasier which has more of an underground fan base. I don't like these reboots like Birds of a feather and Will & Grace, it kind of takes the shine off the show, it is hard to explain. In that sense i would consider it a good thing that it isn't going to be a proper episode.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

lol

Frasier, one of the highest ratings comedy shows of it's day.... Underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

seriously ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Might watch this if it's on Sky somewhere, won't bother searching it out though.

One part of me is saying don't watch it as it might ruin my perception of them. I know Courtney Cox has a load of work done. Matthew Perry had lots of drugs issues. Matt Le Blanc on Top Gear was insanely boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Coincide

Seems a bit pointless for them to sit around and talk about the show tbh. Guess I'll check it out anyway.

Personally never see them doing more episodes. If they did if say the money would be absolutely insane

It's a wrap they finished filming it yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNgYJgoHWZm/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I'll check it out just for nostalgia.

Friends is a chalk and cheese show for me; I love the 3 male characters and their storylines, but I felt the 3 women were usually a bit cringeworthy and a bit too screechy, though Monica and Rachel had great chemistry with their respective dads. Sometimes it was like watching two different shows within the same episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Is there any other show that would get this much hype for the cast to come back and just talk for an hour?

A lot of people dismiss Friends, but I genuinely feel it is one of the greatest shows ever made, and probably the greatest sitcom ever made.

The Netflix views speaks for itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

JackTC wrote: »
    Is there any other show that would get this much hype for the cast to come back and just talk for an hour?

A lot of people dismiss Friends, but I genuinely feel it is one of the greatest shows ever made, and probably the greatest sitcom ever made.

The Netflix views speaks for itself.

Never really properly watched the series all the way through so I'm going through it on Netflix and, yes. It really nails the balance between daftness, whimsy and warmth that very, very few shows get right.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This reminds me, did the Fresh Prince reunion air over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This reminds me, did the Fresh Prince reunion air over here?

I watched it on iPlayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I saw it on Paramount the Friday before last.

Advertisement