Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Please see taxi driver scenario and advise on how to protest correctly.

Yes I just saw your edit there.

I know some women who won't get into taxis based on the "look" of the driver. That's their choice.

I don't know what yiu mean by protest? Taxi drivers are (or should be) vetted for any criminal offences and should be denied a license if they have any serious ones particularly for sexual offences obviously. They are required to have Id in their taxis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'd feel that the hysteria was more easily dismissed (not easy really, but...) because homosexuality had been part of society for a long time. Part of but not approved of. Whereas with transgenderism, it's mostly a new thing for western nations. We don't have a history with such a thing, and can't really know how it will evolve within mainstream society over time. With homosexuality, we could (kinda). Transgender is different. And it's even more different because it covers so much.. it's not simply people who change their gender physically.. it's more than that, and could easily expand to include other behaviors later.

As for unreasonable hysteria about transgender, I'm in the middle. While I haven't had many normal encounters with them, I have met them in LGB bars/clubs, and they've shown themselves to be quite aggressive and violent at times. Sure, all people do, but.. there's a rather unpredictable element with some T that makes me uneasy. Same with encountering T in Thailand and other parts of Asia. There was a very unpredictable and hostile element of T too. Not everywhere, and not by everyone, but it definitely existed..

As the numbers have traditionally been so low, it's hard to be sure of the T with regards to violence, but I've met far more who were aggressive/offensive, than those who weren't. Admittedly all in LGB bars/clubs/parties, but to be fair, these should be places they would be more relaxed. I dunno.

I'd like to see more research done before we jump aside and give them the keys to the city. Let's determine whether there are threats involved. and what will happen over time. Ease in the changes gradually, giving everything time to grow more comfortable with the whole thing. T are not persecuted the way that LGB were. That's already a major step which they didn't really have to fight hard for... enjoy that for a while, before pushing for more.

Aside from the forum debate stuff, genuinely I'd say if you have a chance go talk to some trans people. They are regular people, most of the trans people I know have had a tough time of it either through bullying in school (and adult life) or parents basically disowning them. It's not an easy life, no life is, but theirs is particularly tough. Sometimes talking to people and getting their life experiences opens up your horizons to different lifestyles and can really change your outlook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

markodaly wrote: »
    So, no, you dont have kids.

If you did, you may feel different about it.

I do have kids. I said so this morning.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

20Cent wrote: »
    I'm not an ideologue,

Have you considered stand up?

Have you considered stand up?

Is tolerance towards marginalised people an ideology?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Is tolerance towards marginalised people an ideology?

20cent is ideologically possessed as Peterson would say.. come on.. you know it as well as I do..

20cent is ideologically possessed as Peterson would say.. come on.. you know it as well as I do..

What ideology is 20cent possessed by? Genuinely curious.

they/them/theirs

General left wing hipster wokeness..

You mean empathy for people...

You mean empathy for people...

No..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Thanks consider that a complement.

The vast majority of people agree with my point of view.
    Yourself and Peterson are in the minority.

Thanks consider that a complement.

The vast majority of people agree with my point of view.
    Yourself and Peterson are in the minority.

Are they agreeing with you, or are you agreeing with them?

Well self ID passed uncontested in the Dail and nobody made a fuss about it or is trying to have it overturned or anything. I'm very live and let live. If we can make peoples lives a bit easier with zero effort why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Well self ID passed uncontested in the Dail and nobody made a fuss about it or is trying to have it overturned or anything. I'm very live and let live. If we can make peoples lives a bit easier with zero effort why not.

And if women are raped in prison by transwomen, as has happened in the UK, then what, you fuss-free, groovy hipster?

Trying to be individualistic by "going against the grain" and wokeness by trying to make a vulnerable minority even more of a target is just a bit cruel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's about .7% of the population.
    Out of that .7% some will be post opp so say it's .5% who will have a penis.
    Out of that .5% what are the chances of being in the changing room looking at them for the few seconds they are exposed?

You are talking about an event that is so remote to be insignificant.

So remote as to be insignificant, once viewed from your side of course.

Gynoid wrote: »
    And if women are raped in prison by transwomen, as has happened in the UK, then what, you fuss-free, groovy hipster?

You think that a rapist should dictate trans rights?
    Very regressive.

Very regressive.

Would you tell the victim that she's statistically insignificant?
    That her ordeal is just the price that needs to be paid so Manny the tranny can dry his lady dick in the ladies dressing room.... with the other ladies!

Would you tell the victim that she's statistically insignificant?
    That her ordeal is just the price that needs to be paid so Manny the tranny can dry his lady dick in the ladies dressing room.... with the other ladies!

Someone was raped by a trans person in prison therefore all trans people should be banned form changing rooms.

Replace trans with Black or Jewish or traveler in the above.

It's bigoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Very regressive.

I think the continuance of male rape RATES among Transwomen should be of major concern when deciding public policy, yes. So...shrugs, bite me, I guess.
    Again, for your perusal - https://www.womenarehuman.com/

• Advertisement

Someone was raped by a trans person in prison therefore all trans people should be banned form changing rooms.

Replace trans with Black or Jewish or traveler in the above.

It's bigoted.

You spelled biology wrong.

It's not the same thing as Jewish, or Black or Traveler - not even close to the same thing.

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think the continuance of male rape RATES among Transwomen should be of major concern when deciding public policy, yes. So...shrugs, bite me, I guess.
    Again, for your perusal - https://www.womenarehuman.com/

Could you link top some stats or something rather than a full website full of articles what are you directing me at?

Thanks

You spelled biology wrong.

It's not the same thing as Jewish, or Black or Traveler - not even close to the same thing.

Sorry you are not allowed into this bar because an Irish guy raped someone.
    Stupid.

Sorry you are not allowed into this bar because an Irish guy raped someone.
    Stupid.

Very stupid.

Bears no relationship to what were talking about, but at least we agreed on something!

Very stupid.

Bears no relationship to what were talking about, but at least we agreed on something!

Collective punishment of a group because someone in that group is a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Brian? wrote: »
    This is going in circles. Most transgender women won't be comfortable in mens changing rooms.

Then they are uncomfortable around people who are in the same arena as them, strength-wise. Unlike women.

Then they are uncomfortable around people who are in the same arena as them, strength-wise. Unlike women.

How would you feel about sharing a changing room space with a lesbian bodybuilder? That person is stronger than you, and is attracted to your gender.

How would you feel about sharing a changing room space with a lesbian bodybuilder? That person is stronger than you, and is attracted to your gender.

I'd be fine with it. The female body builder will not be stronger than most men. I do recall another delightful podium a while back where a transgender bodybuilder stood on top beside women in better shape than her. Clearly didn’t have to work hard to become stronger then those female body builders. It’s almost like there are significant physical differences.

Meanwhile a transwomen, being a biological male, will be likely as strong as man she encounters.

I'd be fine with it. The female body builder will not be stronger than most men. I do recall another delightful podium a while back where a transgender bodybuilder stood on top beside women in better shape than her. Clearly didn’t have to work hard to become stronger then those female body builders. It’s almost like there are significant physical differences.

Meanwhile a transwomen, being a biological male, will be likely as strong as man she encounters.

Might not be stronger than most men but will be stronger than 99% of women and is attracted to women (which the trans person may not be) and apparently the changing room turns people into sex crazed lunatics so she wont be able to control her inner urges. Honestly I'd be far more worried about the imaginary lesbian bodybuilder in your changing room than the imaginary sex pest trans person in your changing room.

• Advertisement

Might not be stronger than most men but will be stronger than 99% of women and is attracted to women (which the trans person may not be) and apparently the changing room turns people into sex crazed lunatics so she wont be able to control her inner urges. Honestly I'd be far more worried about the imaginary lesbian bodybuilder in your changing room than the imaginary sex pest trans person in your changing room.

Well then, if the risk of attack in these spaces is minimal, then transwomen should be able to use the facilities of their biological sex, right?

I’ve shared many a space with lesbians over the years. Doesn’t bother me at all. In pretty much every case, if I was accosted by a lesbian, I’d be very confident I could fight them off. Oh yes, maybe not the lesbian bodybuilder. Well, I guess that puts me my place re: not wanting to share with packing transwomen. ALL transwomen will be way stronger than me. Every last one. Only the odd woman will be.

Advertisement