Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Brian? wrote: »
    You actually haven't answered the question. You may think you have, but you're repeatedly hand waving it away.

And now you're pivoting to attacking Zizek because you think we all align with him on every issue.

I answered re what ideology people like 20cents believe in and yourself perhaps, by giving an extended gender theory criticism sample as it shows both sides well. I like Julian Vigo's POV. It was to me that he said I am not an idealogue. I think otherwise.

Im not pivoting on Zizek, am standing where I always have re him, wondering how someone raised in Tito's Yugoslavia could be a Leninist. I find him extremely difficult to listen to so I don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Instead of having designated male and female spaces, just have penis and penisless spaces. That way everybody's happy. Trans people don't have to say they are a different gender than they see themselves as. Sex offenders can't get into womens prisons with their genitals intact. Biological males get to assert that they have a penis every time they use the Jacks. [It's great to have a penis. Not surprised that two thirds of m2f trans choose to keep theirs.]

20Cent wrote: »
    Didn't hear self I'd mentioned once during the election campaign it's a non issue. Everyone has moved on it is of no concern to anyone really. It's been five years now.

Apparently it is of concern to some people, oh dear.

In the UK with a larger population the public are seeing the implications in female jails with actual sexual assaults and court cases. We have one male bodied prisoner so far in an Irish womens prison.
    In the US which is larger, biological female sport is seeing the implications.
    It is becoming an issue in various jurisdictions whether you like it or not, and the logical incoherence will arise here too at one point when someday conflicting rights clash.

The Dentons Document which advises Trans lobby groups says to avoid publicity like Ireland did, and piggy back legislation on more popular causes like SSM. Dentons describes Scotland as a PR disaster because the mouthy women got wind of gender self ID proposals and the implications, and wouldn't you know the stroppy wagons are kicking up a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

tldr

To save anyone reading all that, never heard of Julian Vigo, just trust people and if they go through the trouble of reassigning their gender take it that they mean it.

Why on earth did you quote such a long post, only to give out about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Gynoid wrote: »
    Apparently it is of concern to some people, oh dear.

In the UK with a larger population the public are seeing the implications in female jails with actual sexual assaults and court cases. We have one male bodied prisoner so far in an Irish womens prison.
    In the US which is larger, biological female sport is seeing the implications.
    It is becoming an issue in various jurisdictions whether you like it or not, and the logical incoherence will arise here too at one point when someday conflicting rights clash.

The Dentons Document which advises Trans lobby groups says to avoid publicity like Ireland did, and piggy back legislation on more popular causes like SSM. Dentons describes Scotland as a PR disaster because the mouthy women got wind of gender self ID proposals and the implications, and wouldn't you know the stroppy wagons are kicking up a storm.

Humans have sent people to the moon.
    This can be sorted as well.

Humans have sent people to the moon.
    This can be sorted as well.

Heh, you think we ain't coming back from sending male rapists to women's jails, or from allowing male bodied tranagender people to knock seven shades of shyte out of female competitors?
    Brace, lad.

Heh, you think we ain't coming back from sending male rapists to women's jails, or from allowing male bodied tranagender people to knock seven shades of shyte out of female competitors?
    Brace, lad.

Sporting bodies have introduced new rules and prisons can do the same. No need to ban trans people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Sporting bodies have introduced new rules and prisons can do the same.

Look at the inconsistencies here.

Trans activists believe that trans women are women — and therefore any effort to distinguish between natural-born women and trans women when it comes to changing rooms, sports, prisons, rape crisis centers, etc., amounts to transphobic bigotry and discrimination.

One can't claim that a trans woman is a woman, while on the other hand saying that a trans woman shouldn't compete against natural-born female athletes or be housed in a women's prison because "she" isn't really a woman. At that point, one has to choose — is a trans woman a woman, and entitled to be treated exactly like a natural born woman in every circumstance? Or is a trans woman something other than a woman?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah lads..

Razor sharp debating there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I answered re what ideology people like 20cents believe in and yourself perhaps, by giving an extended gender theory criticism sample as it shows both sides well. I like Julian Vigo's POV. It was to me that he said I am not an idealogue. I think otherwise.

Im not pivoting on Zizek, am standing where I always have re him, wondering how someone raised in Tito's Yugoslavia could be a Leninist. I find him extremely difficult to listen to so I don't.

I think I mixed you up with someone else, apologies.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Trans activists believe that trans women are women — and therefore any effort to distinguish between natural-born women and trans women when it comes to changing rooms, sports, prisons, rape crisis centers, etc., amounts to transphobic bigotry and discrimination.

One can't claim that a trans woman is a woman, while on the other hand saying that a trans woman shouldn't compete against natural-born female athletes or be housed in a women's prison because "she" isn't really a woman. At that point, one has to choose — is a trans woman a woman, and entitled to be treated exactly like a natural born woman in every circumstance? Or is a trans woman something other than a woman?

Exactly. The ideology requires full commitment at present. There cannot be limited transubstantiation in this creed. At some point even believers have to question if they uphold the mantra that transwomen are women etc.
    My point all along is that transwomen are transwomen. They deserve dignity etc. But the idea that they ARE women is bonkers.

Exactly. The ideology requires full commitment at present. There cannot be limited transubstantiation in this creed. At some point even believers have to question if they uphold the mantra that transwomen are women etc.

Precisely. Interestingly, we now see both 20Cent and Brian? acknowledging that in circumstances such as athletic competitions and prisons, trans women should not be regarded as equivalent to natural-born women; they should be subject to special rules and restrictions that do not apply to women generally.

Ultimately, then, 20Cent and Brian? actually appear to reject the mantra that "trans women are women." They don't see trans women as women in every circumstance, which is tantamount to not recognizing them as women at all.

Depends what you consider a trans person to be.
    You lot seem to think anyone will just start living as the other gender just to perv in changing rooms. There is a process they go through. If you think someone might abuse a system that isn't a reason for getting rid of it altogether.

Depends what you consider a trans person to be.

Do you believe that a trans woman is a woman? Yes or no answer, please.

Cost is a big part of the problem. People who want to transition particularly in the US can't afford to. If it was paid for by governments then those who want to fully transition can. Would solve some of the issues.

You managed to evade answering the question there. Do you believe that a trans woman is a woman? Yes or no?

I have to laugh... there is the concern about decreasing birth rates in 1st world nations, along with a growing elderly group... but we should be encouraging women and men to make gender transitions that remove them from the possibility of having children (along with the concerns for associated health problems from transitioning, further burdening health services..) Ahh logic. Lets's encourage our decline even further!

I do genuinely wonder if we're all caught up in some alien social experiment. It's the kind of thing done in video games when you're tired of playing and wanting to see how your civilisation will implode. :D

A lady I work with told me recently that her health insurance will give 50% up to e10000 back for gender reassignment surgery, but doesn't cover mental health..

• Advertisement

I have to laugh... there is the concern about decreasing birth rates in 1st world nations, along with a growing elderly group... but we should be encouraging women and men to make gender transitions that remove them from the possibility of having children (along with the concerns for associated health problems from transitioning, further burdening health services..) Ahh logic. Lets's encourage our decline even further!

Like, when you look at the logical consequences of some of the positions pushed overall, and their cumulative effect, it starts to look quite sinister..

Like, when you look at the logical consequences of some of the positions pushed overall, and their cumulative effect, it starts to look quite sinister..

I'll go with idiotic, or self-destructive, rather than sinister.. :pac:

Exact same argument was used against gay people.

Exact same argument was used against gay people.

What does that even mean?..I'm starting to worry about your comprehension skills..

What, when people were pushing for gay rights were there people saying 'hang on a minute, next thing we'll have men thinking they're women trying to get changed in the ladies?

You managed to evade answering the question there. Do you believe that a trans woman is a woman? Yes or no?

I know you want to steer the discussion down some cul de sac. It's a very complex and complicated issue with lots of nuances. Yes a trans woman is a woman.

Yes a trans woman is a woman.

If a trans woman is a woman, why do you support discriminatory rules in sports and in prisons?

What does that even mean?..I'm starting to worry about your comprehension skills..

Some seem to believe that trans visibility will result in more people turning trans. Same was said about homosexually. Remember a fella on one of the debates before the ssm referendum saying similar.

Some seem to believe that trans visibility will result in more people turning trans. Same was said about homosexually. Remember a fella on one of the debates before the ssm referendum saying similar.

But, like, that has happened in the last few years?.

If a trans woman is a woman, why do you support discriminatory rules in sports and in prisons?

In prison there needs to be more than self Id because then someone who isn't actually trans could abuse the situation. They would need to be at a certain stage of transition and have medical approval.

Sports discriminate all the time. Different weight classes in boxing for example.

• Advertisement

But, like, that has happened in the last few years?.

People are more comfortable coming out now. Do you think people who aren't trans are just turning that way?

Exact same as homosexuality. Once is became morr publicly acceptable more people came out.

Advertisement