Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Annes Park Planning Application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Belfunk wrote: »
    It is in the park it is St. Anne's Park. Until that fence was erected in late 2001/02 this land was part of St. Anne's Park. How can you say a green field with St. Ann's Park to the left, right and behind it is not St. Anne's park.

You aren't old enough to remember to the original fence obviously. In the 70s & early 80s there was the original fence that was erected in the 50s. When we had a cross country run to do for PE we would run out onto the playing field & turn right. We'd follow the school wall down to where it meets the park. There was a gap in the fence here for us to get into the park.

Are you suggesting that if I have a fence around my garden that my garden is part of my neighbors garden? Just because a squirrel can hop from my garden to another doesn't mean that my garden is "in" someone else's garden. You do see how ridiculous that logic is right?

It's a bad idea to have a development here but jasus lets not make things up that aren't true. Call it what you want. The land registry disagrees with you. According to them it's never been part of the park & it's beside the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Belfunk wrote:
    It is in the park it is St. Anne's Park. Until that fence was erected in late 2001/02 this land was part of St. Anne's Park. How can you say a green field with St. Ann's Park to the left, right and behind it is not St. Anne's park.

In the 80s there an earth mound around what are now the playing pitches. St. Paul's would hold cross country running events on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

All i can think of is trying to get a DART :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Who are you going to believe, the packed buses and DARTs and roads you see on that route with your own lying eyes OR the planners who said there is ample spare capacity in the area.
    I think the planners think these new developments come with their own transporter devices, they probably do their study at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday morning.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Who are you going to believe, the packed buses and DARTs and roads you see on that route with your own lying eyes OR the planners who said there is ample spare capacity in the area.
    I think the planners think these new developments come with their own transporter devices, they probably do their study at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday morning.

Unfortunately some filthy rich developer is going to want a return on his investment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unfortunately some filthy rich developer is going to want a return on his investment.

The priests are the ones that got rich on this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think the site will be built on. Maybe delayed, but inevitable. Just like the fast tracked site in Chapelizod (there is a thread on it). Lovely site, backing on to Phoenix Park close to town and all that. The design of the building is the problem, that and the fact that there will not be any affordable properties there, all social.

Anyway, everyone wants more housing, but not next to me thank you very much, and some politicians have not come out smelling of roses either.

FWIW I live in a house that backs on to GAA playing fields and a nice walking circuit. Bet that will be gone soon too. But hey ho that's life.

I think the site will be built on. Maybe delayed, but inevitable. Just like the fast tracked site in Chapelizod (there is a thread on it). Lovely site, backing on to Phoenix Park close to town and all that. The design of the building is the problem, that and the fact that there will not be any affordable properties there, all social.

I'm hoping that whatever new government we get will undo the damaging FG legislation allowing fast track planning on their first day in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I've seen planners reports where they do the traffic studies at 7am on Sunday mornings and it's taken as gospel that everything is ok, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

in the case of the developments in howth thats something along the lines of what they done. Traffic at sutton cross late in the morning during school holidays and it was all hunky dory according to the planners

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    in the case of the developments in howth thats something along the lines of what they done. Traffic at sutton cross late in the morning during school holidays and it was all hunky dory according to the planners

I take your point, but people just will not get out of their cars. I do realise that PT is abysmal in Dublin, but people will still drive everywhere even with DART/LUAS on the doorstep.

Those who do not have DART or LUAS are in a much worse position. There is no choice for them other than Bus, however we can only hope that places like Terenure, Templeogue, Lucan and so on will benefit from Bus Connects, if it ever goes ahead with all the objections.

Sometimes in my dreams I'd wish a dictator came along and said, look, this is how it is, it's what we are doing for the good of the capital. Shut the feck up now, it is in everyone's interests, not just yours.

Well I just woke out of my slumber sharpish there anyway!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Killester is already a near nightmare after 8. Yet apparently 650 new accommodation units can service it alongside a reduced bus route? How do planners not have to factor the reality of public transport : it can't be sufficient to just say it's there without knowing it's got sufficient capacity.

If this development goes ahead there will be 20 percent more homes in this small plot of land than there is in the entire St Anne's housing estate. This really is a high density development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sometimes in my dreams I'd wish a dictator came along and said, look, this is how it is, it's what we are doing for the good of the capital. Shut the feck up now, it is in everyone's interests, not just yours.
    That's pretty much what Eoghan Murphy has in mind by proposing that effectively any legal opposition will be disallowed.

Fact is that SHD legislation and non-enforcement of legal requirements by agencies of the State are allowing unscrupulous developers to build almost whatever they want with no regard to anything like good practices.

We need development but it needs to be done properly and responsibly, otherwise we are just creating future problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Belfunk wrote: »

So you describe what happened, and when, to make it not part of the Park and then say its still part of the Park. Confusing.

Suffice to say it is not, in fact, part of the Park. There are a couple of very separate things going on here. There is the dereliction of duty on the part of Dublin City Council when disposing of the piece of land that they did not include a perpetuity clause, that it be retained as an amenity. There is the cynical move on the part of the College authorities to sell it on, knowing what was always intended for the land to be. There is the developer taking a punt on this opportunity to exploit the new bias of planning law. This all may be pretty repugnant to people, but though distasteful, none of it is illegal, or improper from a Planning point of view. And I say that as a town planner with 20 years experience.

The problem here is the laws, the development framework and the balance of both. However, I can say that I have bad news for the "thankfully this will never happen" brigade. Yes people may fund a judicial review, but that only deals with petitions that claim the Board erred in law in some fashion, they cannot rule on the Planning aspects, where are now decided. This WILL be built, sooner or later, I can think of many similar examples of the precedent and I wouldn't waste any more energy on it.

tricky D wrote: »
    That's pretty much what Eoghan Murphy has in mind by proposing that effectively any legal opposition will be disallowed.

Fact is that SHD legislation and non-enforcement of legal requirements by agencies of the State are allowing unscrupulous developers to build almost whatever they want with no regard to anything like good practices.

We need development but it needs to be done properly and responsibly, otherwise we are just creating future problems.

Accepted. And I hope that will be the case. It is more about location though really.

However the bleating going on about the need for housing is not being supported much by many objectors from what I can see.

Ok if it is out in the sticks somewhere, but don't you dare build in MY area.

Can't have it both ways. Time to put up or shut up now.

ixoy wrote: »
    Killester is already a near nightmare after 8. Yet apparently 650 new accommodation units can service it alongside a reduced bus route? How do planners not have to factor the reality of public transport : it can't be sufficient to just say it's there without knowing it's got sufficient capacity.

I don't know what your problem is. There's lots of capacity on the 1037 DART according to the genius managing DART capacity so that's the one you should be getting and it's your own fault for trying to use public transport to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I don't know what your problem is. There's lots of capacity on the 1037 DART according to the genius managing DART capacity so that's the one you should be getting and it's your own fault for trying to use public transport to get to work.

You could increase bus frequency to meet demand instead of forcing people out to Meath, Louth, Wicklow etc.

Accepted. And I hope that will be the case. It is more about location though really.
    However the bleating going on about the need for housing is not being supported much by many objectors from what I can see.
    Ok if it is out in the sticks somewhere, but don't you dare build in MY area.
    Can't have it both ways. Time to put up or shut up now.

I think in Howth they welcomed the development to get rid of an eye sore until they saw the scale of what was proposed. Which seems like a reasonable position.

I think in Howth they welcomed the development to get rid of an eye sore until they saw the scale of what was proposed. Which seems like a reasonable position.

Why? Traffic or something, with a DART up the road and buses outside.

It is on the foreshore and would be so much better than that awful eyesore that's there now.

Location again. The usual.

People living in Coolock or other outlying areas have no such clout really.

But next year, the objectors will still be moaning and cribbing about the lack of provision of housing. Again. Maybe it's the 20% allocation to social housing in such a large development that's freaking them out. Hmm.

• Advertisement

It's actually outrageous that more people should be denied the chance to live 5km from O'Connell Bridge, near a DART station (with additional stock and the City Centre Resignalling coming down the line) and three spines under Bus Connects.

People are being forced to live in an outer commuter hell for fear of inconveniencing residents.

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's actually outrageous that more people should be denied the chance to live 5km from O'Connell Bridge, near a DART station (with additional stock and the City Centre Resignalling coming down the line) and three spines under Bus Connects.

People are being forced to live in an outer commuter hell for fear of inconveniencing residents.

Vive la Revolucion!

It is a bit precious. But location is they key, they have clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Big fan of this development. Need more of them in the inner suburbs.

Well now that FG is fkd, I wonder who the residents of these special areas of human habitation will vote for. LOL

Since when did the area have "a reduced bus route" as some have mentioned here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

SF are mandated to build 100000 houses....heres 700 homes to start!.....discuss!

bazza1 wrote: »
    SF are mandated to build 100000 houses....heres 700 homes to start!.....discuss!

Not there or anywhere with clout either I'd suggest.

I doubt that a reverse system would work either, i.e. 80% social and 20% affordable.

It's all down to where you live. That has to be stopped. But I doubt the St. Anne's and Howth developments would be within the affordable group (mortgage) even with 20% social included. So you see, location really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Correct. After the SHD was enacted they went on a feeding frenzy cramming as many shoe boxes in as possible with height restrictions removed.

Things that went out the window are the Fingal Development Plan for Howth (max 200 units until 2023), EU Directives, infrastructure considerations, SAAO, coastal zone protection regulations, flood considerations and any other good practices you care to mention.

For the Edros site they only did a single borehole on a complicated esker., What forced APB's High Court conscession was the fact that the developer didn't bother to do a straightforward calculation on the amount of material needing removal. The Balscadden Residents who took the action calculated it at 83k cubic metres. Any thing over 15k requires an Environmental Plan for disposal which was not done so APB hadn't a leg to stand on as they just didn't bother doing their job. The latest application uses the 83k figure from the Balscadden group.

The Techcrete site will have a similar amount removed and yup, no one in authority has bothered to do their job on the disposal planning.

We welcome proportionate and responsible development but not this grab as much with shoddy practices and non-enforcements.

tricky D wrote: »

We welcome proportionate and responsible development but not this grab as much with shoddy practices and non-enforcements.

What is disproportionate and irresponsible about this particular and much needed development in the midst of a housing crisis?

• Advertisement

If you build it they will come, especially in St. Anne's and Howth.

I'd put money on it that regulations regarding fire and pyrite etc and energy ratings will have to be observed.

None of our business if someone wants to live in a small place. Just look at co-living.

Advertisement