Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Annes Park Planning Application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kona wrote: »
    Sure they will :rolleyes:

Half the people on the road i grew up on are over 60 and living in 5 bed houses of which 3 or 4 of the bedrooms are empty.

We need a bedroom tax & tax incentives to encourage downsizing. Carrot & stick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sleeper12 wrote: »

We need decent smaller homes in the locality. Can't expect a person in their 60s who lived there all their lives to relocate out of the area just to downsize. We'll all be old someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How did the development get through local objections when the swimming pool was built on? Was everyone ok with the loss of that amenity?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jon1981 wrote: »
    We need decent smaller homes in the locality. Can't expect a person in their 60s who lived there all their lives to relocate out of the area just to downsize. We'll all be old someday.
    ...and taking Raheny as an example, where would you build all of these decent smaller homes?

Four storey or more apartments with a decent size balcony, room for eating and sitting there would be my ideal when I need to downsize!

But remember those moving from a freehold house will pay a hefty annual fee to a management company. I think that puts a lot of people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How did the development get through local objections when the swimming pool was built on? Was everyone ok with the loss of that amenity?

This one went through fast track planning process... short cut for we don't care about local objections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there is suggestion that every estate should be required legally to build some older person suitable housing, so as is suggested above that people can move in to smaller houses but stay in the same area

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This one went through fast track planning process... short cut for we don't care about local objections.

But St Anne’s didn’t get through because of the geese or something!

And DCC were not in favour either. Why developers bother is beyond me, bet the fast track issue will be the guts of a lawsuit. Otherwise why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The swimming pool was pretty old and I think it got a crack in it that would have meant the whole thing needed rebuilding. Was never going to happen without public funds but it was privately owned by St Pauls.

The swimming pool was pretty old and I think it got a crack in it that would have meant the whole thing needed rebuilding. Was never going to happen without public funds but it was privately owned by St Pauls.

Were the football fields publicly or privately owned.

Thanks for the explanation re the pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How did the Op's objection go? Summarily rejected I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

But St Anne’s didn’t get through because of the geese or something!

And DCC were not in favour either. Why developers bother is beyond me, bet the fast track issue will be the guts of a lawsuit. Otherwise why bother.
    Pretty much nobody was in favour of it: locals, councillors, managers, etc. yet the Deciding Officer gave it the go ahead. However Crevak already have existing planning permission for 23 units in Edros, Howth, which was granted without any Assessments due under Habitats and Birds Directives, as well as the coastal planning requirements. I would have thought that this is ABP's job, but it is being left to ordinary folks to go to the High Court at a cost circa €30k a pop.

there is suggestion that every estate should be required legally to build some older person suitable housing, so as is suggested above that people can move in to smaller houses but stay in the same area

I can't speak for the rest of the country but most areas of Dublin have apartments. The ground floor is suitable for people getting on in years. No stairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id have thought around 700k should be enough. What pensioner needs tax incentives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Maybe we need some of those housing activists to protest outside aul wans houses. That'll soon shift them. :rolleyes:

They want free homes. Some people are actually willing to pay mortgages.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but most areas of Dublin have apartments. .
    do they?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

New development on St Brigids road in Killester has 3 bed terrace houses priced at 550k. Currently at planning stage. 1 bed Apartments @ 250k up to 450k for a 3 bed Apartment. Its on the grounds of the Holy Faith Convent Killester.
    Somewhat pricey for a 3-bed terrace in the area when you look what else is available. Probably sell regardless.

do they?

Yes

Yes
    not in my estate, a few have been built as infill developments but obviously not planned for.

not in my estate, a few have been built as infill developments but obviously not planned for.

Not every housing estate but plenty of apartments in every townland of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ixoy wrote: »
    Somewhat pricey for a 3-bed terrace in the area when you look what else is available. Probably sell regardless.

That price is quoted based on costs estimated before they even break ground... likely to be higher. Agree 550k is pushing it... that said alot of old houses in the area are selling for 500k and probably require upward of 100k in renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downtheroad

...and taking Raheny as an example, where would you build all of these decent smaller homes?
    Church land. Huge amounts of land being wasted in every suburb in Dublin having churches that are far too big for the number of people that actually attend.

A church in Finglas is downsizing and social housing being built on the site. This could be replicated all across Dublin.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/finglas-church-closure-3220514-Feb2017/

Clontarf has 3 catholic churches, I'd start there and remove 2 of them and let the 3rd remain to cater for the area. Obviously this would require a lot of co-operation from both the church and state.

Clontarf has 3 catholic churches, I'd start there and remove 2 of them and let the 3rd remain to cater for the area. Obviously this would require a lot of co-operation from both the church and state.

Or the state could just use the land it already owns:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1121/921658-social-housing-local-authorities/

In Dublin city, where there are more than 22,000 people on the housing list, the local authority has directly built 56 homes in the same time period. It is estimated that the council owns enough land to support more than 12,000 properties.

But sure, give Eoghan Murphy another scapegoat to go with the grannies in nursing homes and empty nesters and Air BnB landlords and people with large gardens. Anything except doing a proper job to justify his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downtheroad

odyssey06 wrote: »

Or the state could just use the land it already owns:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1121/921658-social-housing-local-authorities/

In Dublin city, where there are more than 22,000 people on the housing list, the local authority has directly built 56 homes in the same time period. It is estimated that the council owns enough land to support more than 12,000 properties.

But sure, give Eoghan Murphy another scapegoat to go with the grannies in nursing homes and empty nesters and Air BnB landlords and people with large gardens. Anything except doing a proper job to justify his salary.
    I can't see any reference in that article to state owned land in either Raheny or Clontarf, the 2 examples used above. We absolutely do need smaller homes in our Dublin suburbs. I recently bought a house near St Annes and the number of houses I viewed that are appropriately sized for a family but were being occupied by 1 person was beyond belief. By building smaller sized homes in local areas, people will have an option to downsize if they so wish, thereby freeing up family sized homes for another generation to buy and keep the cycle moving.

It's all well and good if Dublin City Council have land to build on, but good luck asking somebody who has lived most of their life in a suburb such as Raheny to downsize to a property in an area they are unfamiliar with. My suggestion of using, what is in my opinion, wasted land that the church happen to own, at least is land in each suburb of Dublin that might appeal to local residents.

It's all well and good if Dublin City Council have land to build on, but good luck asking somebody who has lived most of their life in a suburb such as Raheny to downsize to a property in an area they are unfamiliar with. My suggestion of using, what is in my opinion, wasted land that the church happen to own, at least is land in each suburb of Dublin that might appeal to local residents.

It's a tiny amount of land relative to the state owned land.

There are many apartments already in Clontarf, new and old. Castle Avenue, Saint Lawrence Road either end etc
    Apartments replaced the Old Shieling hotel in Raheny and Hollybrook Hotel in Killester and the Dollymount House.

If someone wanted to downsize they would be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

... using, what is in my opinion, wasted land that the church happen to own...

It may seem wasted to some - but to others its the heart of the village you would be ripping out.

We don't want to build on absolutely every square of space of Dublin- I thinking of the horrible concrete jungles of some UK and USA cities - and worse in other countries - sure you can get lots in - but would your residents be happy living there then?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ozmo wrote: »
    It may seem wasted to some - but to others its the heart of the village you would be ripping out.

Have you seen the architectural abomination that is Raheny (catholic) church?

Have you seen the abysmal attendance in Raheny (catholic) church on Sundays?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

John_Rambo wrote: »

Not sure if you are being entirely serious but I would get behind this. It is an ugly monster of a yoke that would easily accommodate a large development. If you include the car park you have a pretty decent site. The train station could also be built over.
    All Saints Church across the road could easily manage both congregations.

A really ambitious programme would incorporate the site as far as the Supervalu and have a massive residential/ commercial development.

John_Rambo wrote:

Ugliest building in the village by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ugliest building in the village by a country mile.

The HSE box held up by steel girders at Watermill Road is a close second albeit less intrusive

Advertisement