Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewdog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Those bridges are a few years away from being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

imme wrote: »
    Too far from everywhere.

Building is fun and interesting.

Food is fine.

Choice of beer is decent as you'd expect, prices aren't great.

It will do well with tourists, after work folk, will this be enough?

Hard to know. Plenty of offices down there and it ticks the boxes as a venue for casual office beers. Doing food should also keep it going during the day. There is a Wetherspoons opening in Grand Canal Dock which will be its main competition.

There is a Wetherspoons opening in Grand Canal Dock which will be its main competition.

Will it? Are they not going for different ends of the market.
    If this Wetherspoons is like the rest of them, then I can't see the clientele from Brewdog drinking there on the regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

They sell brewdog in Weatherspoons for half the price of the beers owner - strange

They sell brewdog in Weatherspoons for half the price of the beers owner - strange

And I can buy it even cheaper in the off licence and choose to drink it on the street, or at home.

Wetherspoons and Brewdog don't offer the same thing. It's similar, but not the same.

Similar to how you probably don't choose to eat in McDonalds every time you go out to eat.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    And I can buy it even cheaper in the off licence and choose to drink it on the street, or at home.

Wetherspoons and Brewdog don't offer the same thing. It's similar, but not the same.

Similar to how you probably don't choose to eat in McDonalds every time you go out to eat.

McDonalds aren’t selling a high priced restaurants food though so that’s a very tame comparison.

And that’s before you get to the fact that there’s quite likely a good chunk of people who would prefer to have a drink in a Wetherspoons than Brewdog.

There’s quite likely a good chunk of people who would prefer to have a drink in a Wetherspoons than Brewdog.

You're just repeating my original point.

You're just repeating my original point.

I’m not saying one group is better than the other, so not quite the same.

I didn't say one group was better than the other either, just that they are different markets. Sure there will be crossover.
    I don't really like Wetherspoons myself but have the odd pint in it. I also drink in Brewdog, but not that often either. I still know which one I prefer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If the company is paying then Brewdog will be more popular but if the staff themselves go out for pints then it will be off to Wetherspoons with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Thethunder

It's just a little too faccckkkin hoppy minnn for the goooyyyts not living in D4.

I think you need a beard and a few doodles up your arm to be able to drink that gargle.

You're drinking the same beer

You're drinking the same beer

But leaving price out of the equation, I'd rather drink in Brewdog than Wetherspoons. If you're happy to sit in a soulless pub so you can get drunk for cheaper then that's no big deal.

Thethunder wrote: »
    I think you need a beard and a few doodles up your arm to be able to drink that gargle.

You only just stopped short of calling them hipsters. Why do people like you feel so threatened by someone that's a small bit different to you?

But leaving price out of the equation, I'd rather drink in Brewdog than Wetherspoons. If you're happy to sit in a soulless pub so you can get drunk for cheaper then that's no big deal.

I don't particularly enjoy weatherspoons as a place to drink. But personally if I was going to go get a nice beer I would go to and Irish Independent Pub serving Irish craft beers. I was just pointing out there ridiculous prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 kickfacer

Wetherspoons and Brewdog are apples and oranges.

kickfacer wrote: »
    Wetherspoons and Brewdog are apples and oranges.

BUT THEY SERVE THE SAME BEER, OF COURSE THEY ARE THE SAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

The Wetherspoons in Swords seems to have some issue with the draft Punk IPA, haven't been able to serve it the two occasions I've been there recently. Ended up having cans of Clockwork Tangerine.

nc6000 wrote: »
    The Wetherspoons in Swords seems to have some issue with the draft Punk IPA, haven't been able to serve it the two occasions I've been there recently. Ended up having cans of Clockwork Tangerine.

Not ideal - go down to Attic Bar in Swords. They'll look after you

nc6000 wrote: »
    Ended up having cans of Clockwork Tangerine.

I have an aversion to drinking cans in a pub like that.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous comparison.

If Chapter One sold the exact same Big Mac and the exact same chips as McDonalds, yet charged €19 for the pleasure, the only difference being a nicer setting, then you'd have a valid argument.

Paying twice as much to "not sit in a JDW" is your call, but people are allowed to criticise it, and have as much right to complain about the price as you do to complain about a 'soulless' Wetherspoons.

LOL at calling wetherspoons soulless while choosing to drink in a Brewdog of all places. Manufactured chic and 'down wiv da kids' mentality does not equate to twice the price for a gargle in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Oh, you're an MMA fan? Wouldn't you be more likely to enjoy drinking Dutch Gold in the laneways around the locks around there in fairness?

Whats the point of this personal attacking ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Can I ask has anyone eaten in brewdog and can advise how it was?
    In particular the wings :)

Paying twice as much to "not sit in a JDW" is your call, but people are allowed to criticise it, and have as much right to complain about the price as you do to complain about a 'soulless' Wetherspoons.
    I'd rather sit in a different pub to either Brewdog or JDW.

It's the moaning about it that I don't really like. I don't care if people want to drink in JDW. That's their choice. But you can't equate it being the same as Brewdog, as some people seem to think.

If Chapter One sold the exact same Big Mac and the exact same chips as McDonalds, yet charged €19 for the pleasure, the only difference being a nicer setting, then you'd have a valid argument.
    I'm sure Chapter One and JDW have a few of the same things on the menu. But they also offer things JDW don't. They'll also be more expensive.
    I don't go to Brewdog to drink Punk IPA myself.

I'd rather sit in a different pub to either Brewdog or JDW.

It's the moaning about it that I don't really like. I don't care if people want to drink in JDW. That's their choice. But you can't equate it being the same as Brewdog, as some people seem to think.

I'm sure Chapter One and JDW have a few of the same things on the menu. But they also offer things JDW don't. They'll also be more expensive.
    I don't go to Brewdog to drink Punk IPA myself.

I don’t know if you’re not getting it or just won’t back down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t be a fan of any of those chain pubs. Galway Bay Breweries are a bit more individual I suppose but there’s still something about them i don’t particularly like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hard to know. Plenty of offices down there and it ticks the boxes as a venue for casual office beers. Doing food should also keep it going during the day. There is a Wetherspoons opening in Grand Canal Dock which will be its main competition.

Spoons is shockingly bad. It's a soulless place to go to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Can I ask has anyone eaten in brewdog and can advise how it was?
    In particular the wings :)

Can everyone stop their bickering and report back on the wings for Christ's sake? Don't make me go down there blind

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Can everyone stop their bickering and report back on the wings for Christ's sake? Don't make me go down there blind

Had the wings at the weekend, fairly decent. Good sized portion, heat but not too much.

• Advertisement

Spoons is shockingly bad. It's a soulless place to go to

I'm always curious about this kind of comment. What do you mean by "soulless"? What is a typical pub with soul that you can use as a barometer? Plenty of the old school pubs with character are often lacking in plenty of other areas; tradition and history can only mask so much.

The JDW pubs get a lot of the basics correct, things which should be the norm across the pub trade but sadly are not. Off the top of my head:

Plenty of toilets
    Clean toilets
    Hot water in the bathrooms
    Comfortable seating
    Bright, open floorplan so you're not squeezing past others or have to get people to move so you can get out to the jacks
    Lots of lounge staff clearing glasses
    Lots of bar staff so there's rarely a long wait
    An app so you can skip the trip to the bar altogether
    A drinks menu
    A wide variety of beers and types of beer on tap - not just 7 different pale ales

I mean, have you ever seen the toilets in The Sackville? Or the queue for the bar in Brogans? Or the stench in Briody's? Or the state of the tables in O'Neills? Or the uncomfortable seats/stools in 75% of the pubs in town?

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to go for a few pints with friends and we generate our own craic. You can keep your soul if I have to sacrifice comfort and cleanliness to achieve it.

And that's before we even go near the pricing element. I'm convinced snobbery plays a big part in the anti-JDW ethos. I hope they open a rake of boozers over here, the more the merrier.

Advertisement