Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewdog

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I generally like JDW, but some of the above list is more aspirational than reality.

I've been into the Silver Penny, and on two occasions used the app to order a pint to my table, I was drinking alone, so it was handier to use it than abandon my seat (it was fairly busy)

Twice, no pint came and having paid by card via the app, no refund was forthcoming, and I got real "computer says no" responses both times - either the staff are not trained to deal with these scenarios, or "company policy" is to do this. Neither experiences were very nice, and I won't use the app again. Fool me once shame on you, foool me I won't get fooled again.

It is a different experience to the BrewDog bar in Dublin though and fair enough some people prefer one over the other. I've never really understood what "soul" means but people say it all the time. I do dislike the complete lack of background music in JDWs though I do prefer pubs with no screens instead of showing pointless SSN on repeat for example but a bit of music at a non-offensive level does go a long way imo - like in Underdog for example they set their muisic at pretty much the perfect level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From my experience so far, the level of staff training in BrewDog has been pretty similar to The Silver Penny: a jaw-dropping reminder of how good the staff in ordinary Irish bars are. It's odd because I've consistently found the staff in BrewDog-operated bars from Aberdeen to Bristol to be brilliant. It's very out of character to find them so clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I always found getting to toilets in Wetherspoon's you have to climb about 50 flights of stairs, walk another 20 corridors, dig a tunnel or two, it's like a Lord of the Ring's style epic journey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

BeerNut wrote: »
    From my experience so far, the level of staff training in BrewDog has been pretty similar to The Silver Penny: a jaw-dropping reminder of how good the staff in ordinary Irish bars are. It's odd because I've consistently found the staff in BrewDog-operated bars from Aberdeen to Bristol to be brilliant. It's very out of character to find them so clueless.

I've found them alright to be honest. A bit clueless sometimes, but friendly and courteous. I find a lot of barmen in regular Irish pubs can often range from unfriendly to really gruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Baseball72

Broody' is a fine pub - never noticed any issues with the facilities. Excellent pint at a reasonable price.

My issue with Wetherspoons is the owner and his BREXIT stance - no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,051 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I wouldn't be a barman for any money, seeing the crap they have to put up with - never mind the unsocial hours, split shifts etc.

Back in the day there was a saying that you would never see a barman's funeral, because they were all publicans by then.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've been once and will definitely return, albeit not regularly.

I wouldn't be going there to drink Punk, which is readily available - and cheaper - elsewhere, more so to see if anything seasonal or interesting is on.

Oh, and I despise the description soulless with a passion. We're talking about pubs where you go to drink beer. Doesn't warrant getting too metaphysical, to be honest.

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Broody' is a fine pub - never noticed any issues with the facilities. Excellent pint at a reasonable price.

My issue with Wetherspoons is the owner and his BREXIT stance - no thanks.

No issues with the pints myself, and the head barman Podge is decent auld skin. If there are more than 2 or 3 of you trying to get a seat after work, though, the only spot is invariably the one under the telly in the far right hand corner which is directly outside the jacks. The amount of times I've had to leave because of the whiff leaking out everytime someone opens the door.....

Advertisement