Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Locke & Key [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Full_Circle_81

Unless the trailer is deliberately holding back, this seems to lack a lot of the dark unsettling atmosphere of the comic. Locke & Key is one of my favourite comics, so of course I'll be giving this a go, but something about the tone feels off. It looks like they may have eased up on disturbing horror angle and gone for a more family friendly approach. But maybe it's just the light and whimsical music that accompanies the trailer that's giving me those feels.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

gone for a more family friendly approach

I don't know the comic but that's the impression I got from the trailer.. something like family friendly horror?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This dropped today, all ten episodes.

1: Alright, feels like this is jumping into the middle of a bigger story. I'm guessing something between the guy in the fire at the start and Echo.

The cast are all doing well. The show has obviously had decent enough money put into it. Good scenic shots. Rich colours. The keys/doors special effects are doing very well too.

• Advertisement

Caught the first episode and thankfully passes the first test, in that its teenage leads are vaguely likeable. Obviously lots of mystery yet to be unravelled but set its store out effectively enough. Has that "kids adventure" feel about it throughout its core, but with a slightly darker edge to it. Hadn't realised the comic was written by Joe Hill, aka Stephen King's son, and yeah I kinda get the Smalltown Spooky feel from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Impression on the first episode, director got a drone for Christmas that he's been dying to try out.

2: Wow! I was also like WTF
    there at the end. I had guessed he'd gone ghost and no-one would be able to see him. OK, so this kid who killed the Dad.. there's more to the scene to be played out I guess. Also the backstory to it.
    Probably all to do with the wider story.

That scene with the
    bear trap!
    Damn that felt tense!
    Like anything could've gone wrong cos it was so old and rusty and I don't think Bode had ever seen/used one before.

3: Well .. :eek: .. so.. that episode was dark ..
    Starts with throwing a kid in front of a subway train, ends with stabbing a .. memory person to death and burying them in a shallow grave
    :eek:
    but eh.. so the story .. yeah em..

Right, so the getting to see the
    imagination of Bode was cool. Also explained why the confusion about the whole ghost experience. Given the way the story is going I was half expecting some kind of nightmare ghost.

Instead we got this
    scary representation of Kinsey inside he head. What's that about? Is this a representation of trauma from the memory of her when yer man raided the house and killed the father?

Also that lead me to think about
    The Mother and how she forgot the mirror key.. I'm not so sure it's that adults forget things.. I'm getting the feeling there'll be an episode where we go into her head

4: Alright, back to not-so-dark although it has me wondering if this is like a feels-ok episode before really bad stuff happens.

Cool that
    Tyler figured out the throwing in of the book using the mind key. Reminds me of the Matrix way of beaming knowledge into heads.

The effect of
    Kinsey taking out her fear and they way it's progressing has me thinking she's gonna make a leap-without-looking mistake.

Still not sure what
    Echo (yeah I know they call her Well-Lady but I've stuck with Echo.. from the first episode) .. not sure what she's up to. I don't think she's related to the kid in prison even though they are talking about being a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have been enjoying this after the 10 years of development hell it went through to get to screen I think they have done a decent job with it.

Kinsey is Aled Jones daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

On the 5th episode and enjoying this a lot.

I know nothing about the graphic novels but it's good fun with enough mystery to keep me watching.

Don't really know it's audience to be honest though - just when it starts to feel a little childish.. "Well Lady" (or
    Dodge
    as Netflix subtitles has already indicated) goes and
    pushes a young boy underneath a moving subway train.

The actor who plays Bode is grating though..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that was enjoyable and left a lot to ponder
    I'm surprised that Tyler didn't freak out when he realised he ****ed a demon

5: OK, there's definitely something going on here
    with the previous generations. My guess right now is a bunch of em had their memories wiped and that we don't really know who did it cos people are acting suspicious out of fear and the killer probably used the face changer key to disguise themselves.

Episode 2 and liking its pacing, it feels more earned when characters discovers things on their own, or through their own path - instead of the Cut to Shock Reveal. Still liking the kids and the brooding teen male trope suggests enough depth to make me at least not hate him. For now.

The proxy Losers Club tips the originating author's familial background mind you, and the
    Tom Saving
    cameo was fun, and apt.

Definitely a hard show to guess the audience. The child & teen perspectives definitely give it a younger feel, but the subject matter is quite dark and doesn't pull its punches. It's a fun romp, but not for wee uns.

6: Felt like another dark one. They kinda
    whizz past it but I'm guessing the prison burned down and given the level of fire and slow reaction of the guards.. I can't see all the prisoners having made it.

Tylers
    change of attitude felt a bit rushed.
    Kinseys
    lack of fear developing out now to a lot of dangerous moments.

Definitely something happened in the before-the-series timeline. Not sure it's a mystery that can be guessed yet.. more a story of events they are revealing as they go along.

I bet
    that new key did something!

7: Jeez..
    Sams backstory! I really wanted to see what was inside his head door! Also the mothers headdoor.

So like.. seems that
    Echo (Dodge/Well Lady) has everything she wants now. I guess her next move is to find the person who knows how to open the cave door and get the secret. I'm guessing it's Ellie (mother of Rufus). All about this big back story. Maybe even.. the story behind Echo (Dodge/Well Lady) is a lot more complicated .. OH OH.. Oh no! It's gonna be the setup for a second season.. isn't it!

The mother
    at the end. I was like.. heh the gin .. then I remembered and I was like... awe .. awe no!!!!

8: OK!
    Omega key.. it's gotta be something powerful if Dodge wants it! Like maybe more than all the other keys. Feels like they should get moving fast!

Darby Stanchfield is doing great as Nina, the mother, I think I've only seen her in Scandal before this.

Episode 3 and ... Jaysus. Yeah, any lingering belief this might be suitable for children ... well, it literally got
    rolled under a train
    :D

Wonder if like The Dark Crystal this will be a show that struggles to find an audience, in that both are ostensibly child adjacent, but not really suitable for them either.

I like the pacing on this, it's not in any particular rush to throw revelations at the viewer, but drips enough detail and information per episode to keep things bubbling over. Equally, it doesn't feel withholding either, where my ignorance of what's going on is because the script is choosing to keep details from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭brevity

Watched the first two and it’s ok. The acting and some of the dialog is poor but it’s intriguing and looks good.

• Advertisement

9: Well..
    but like.. fells like there's nothing to stop Dodge now..

Finished! Overall it was grand. Felt like a not-as-great but alright cross between the styles of Umbrella Academy and Harry Potter. Not needing an 18s/R rating but I'd say it has enough dark in it to keep to a 12A / PG-13. Bonus points for the
    Alcoholic redemption story arc
    which they didn't need to do but was sound to include.

10: Well...
    WELL... WELLL FINE! FINE! That's JUST FINE!
    Right.. yeah .. no .. fine..

So I
    didn't see it coming. I knew something was coming but I didn't think it would be him and I didn't think it would be her. It's better than the worst case of Bode + Rufus being alone with no keys Versus a horde of the I guess. Although I'd kind of been preparing for something like that and it didn't seem too bad.. on the assumption Bode and Rufus could've won the day all by themselves in season 2.

Episode 6 on this and enjoying the mystery, even if its key (hoho) question marks are dragged out just a tinnnny bit too much. Not sure 10 episodes was the right length, given 8 seems to be the magic number for these cinematically inflected series. Kinsey has become kinda insufferable though, her fearless persona pretty obnoxious -, even if that's kinda the point.

I like how the wife has her own agency, and orbits the kids' own plot, albeit without the magical impetus. It's a good way to keep the cast involved without feeling too contrived; both pursuing their own mysteries, that presumably will dovetail by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoyed this but the ending / setup for season 2 was ridiculously telegraphed.

This has been officially renewed for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »

https://tvline.com/2020/03/30/locke-and-key-renewed-season-2-netflix/

Is it worth getting into?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It won't change your world, but it's a solid supernatural mystery drama with a likeable cast. Despite the leads being kids, its way darker in tone than the cast suggests (like, no way suitable for child viewers). Only 10 episodes too, and clips along at a decent pace. Solid B grade show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally started this so 1 episode watched so far. Have read the comics but long enough ago that I remember some but not all of it. Enjoyed the first episode.
    One thing though is if I was Kinsey, I would be wary of the ice cream guy. First he looks everywhere for her at lunch and then somehow has her number to give her the location of the thing later

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CastorTroy wrote: »
    One thing though is if I was Kinsey, I would be wary of the ice cream guy. First he looks everywhere for her at lunch and then somehow has her number to give her the location of the thing later
    True, sounds like the start of an inevitably rocky (road) relationship.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »

And now a 3rd season too - Source TV Line

Advertisement