Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Locke & Key [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Excellent news It took the guts of a decade and 3/4 networks trying to get it to screen so good to see it will get a decent run now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Back to back I wonder, just in case of more lockdowns? A young enough cast after all so might make sense to get as much filmed as possible. Glad to hear it though. Was a very enjoyable, surprisingly dark show

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Full_Circle_81

pixelburp wrote: »
    Back to back I wonder, just in case of more lockdowns? A young enough cast after all so might make sense to get as much filmed as possible. Glad to hear it though. Was a very enjoyable, surprisingly dark show

Surprisingly dark? Have you read the comic it's based on though? The show went for a much lighter tone throughout and I felt neutered a lot of what made the comic so powerful and unsettling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surprisingly dark? Have you read the comic it's based on though? The show went for a much lighter tone throughout and I felt neutered a lot of what made the comic so powerful and unsettling.

Never read the comics and didn't know much of the original material. But yeah, I'd call any show that casually killed a kid by shoving him Infront of a train "dark" :D Still an air of light adventure, but not without a sense of danger either

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

I'm halfway through the series and I'm enjoying it. I haven't read the comics but I have read a couple of Joe's books and they creeped the bejaysus out of me (Heart Shaped Box, anyone?) so I was expecting this to be a bit scary but thank fook it isn't. Glad there's another couple of seasons in the works. It's an intriguing story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Full_Circle_81

pixelburp wrote: »
    Never read the comics and didn't know much of the original material. But yeah, I'd call any show that casually killed a kid by shoving him Infront of a train "dark" :D Still an air of light adventure, but not without a sense of danger either

Ha! Touché.
    I kind of envy anyone who can go into the show clean with no expectations, enjoying the show on its own merit, but for me it was a constant comparison to the comic unfortunately.
    It's honestly one of my favourite comics (if not all-time favourite). Once the show has ended, I'd strongly recommend those who enjoyed the show to pick up the comic, even those who aren't usually fans of the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just finished this and whilst I enjoyed it overall some of the decisions made by characters just really annoyed me;
    like Ellie taking the key to the crown with her when she went to get the crown and why Bodie never once went back to Chamberlain to ask what the hell was going on
    I feel like there's a lot of mythos that we're not getting which I hope is explored in future seasons, I've not read the comics so I don't know how loyal an adaptation it is, not very loyal tonally by the looks of some posts above but I feel like the show is making these choices to develop them later when it just seems unnatural for the characters. As I said I enjoyed it overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 2 will arrive some time in October, no exact date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 2 releases October 22nd

A show I had completely forgotten about; so much of that going on with the Year That Wasn't. This rode the line well with its tone and frights, I look forward to more.

• Advertisement

Full story trailer has dropped; shows a bit more of what's in store for Season 2 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think this trailer has me feeling a bit not sure about the show.. much like the season 1 trailer did..

but then Season 1 was decent.. so I'll give it a go 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I really enjoyed season 1 but its been so long I'll have to really pay attention to the S.1 recap when it comes out.

Looking forward to this season .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I meant to do a rewatch before season 2. Will see if I can get it watched

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Recap before season 2 drops tomorrow.

Season 2 has dropped.

Man I wish I watched that recap cos on finishing the first episode of season 2, quickly realised I had little clue what was going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I just 'discovered' this on Friday and have gone through series 1 over the last few days. Very enjoyable so far although the reactions of the characters are odd sometimes.

+1 on the recap. I realised I needed it just after the opening scene.

2.1: Picking up mostly from where they left off I think.. after a few months maybe

The new keymaking was flagged in the trailer.

The 18 yr age limit felt new but also a bit of a reminder of Narnia.. heh 🙂

2.2: I don't remember the story around

the kid/animal that dodge has in the cage or much about Erin except that she was like how she was in the hospital during Season one

Kinda cool

that she's awake now.. gonna learn a bit more about the keys, maybe all the adults will be able to remember.

Maybe Duncan (the Uncle/Brother) will remember stuff.

Wonder what

Dodge is planning to make with the key.. I mean like.. she already made a turn-people-to-gloop key by accident. Maybe something to do with Power or something to escape something they haven't shown in the series yet.

• Advertisement

I think to the first bit...

The creature in the cage was a manifestation of fear that Kinsey had during (I think) her trips using the Head Key, but it escaped into the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That's it pb.

If you recall Kinsey pulled her fear out of her head and buried it but dug it up to attack Dodge. It subsequently ran off into the woods and Kinsey thought no more about it.

I am finding that alot of the decision making is a bit odd and the storylines are not standing up to too much scrutiny. Still enjoying it though

2.3: Oh! That was cool! I need to know what happens next!

Also .. separately.. Bode being all like.. "It wasn't me" .. when .. really though.. it was 😁

Ah cool! Now I remember! I remember thinking it might be a big deal at the time.

ahhh yes.. there's me thinking something might come of it:

2.3: Starting to feel like

in the bigger story.. maybe they won't figure out how to keep the memory of magic or find the memory key

Bode gonna be holding up the fort for a bit

Felt good to see

Kinsey take back her fear.. from what I remember the actress Emilia Jones did a decent enough job with the transition in season one.

The rat head was a bit small in hindsight wasn't it?

Compared to the spider

2.5: Well..

That's all coming together now. They've got Duncan back his memories, they know Dodge is in Gabe, Bode will know it was Rufus's Mom.

So maybe a big fight out with Dodge now? Or maybe dodge gets taken out and Eden takes over.. i dunno

Nuts! I miss-numbered that one. Was for 2.4

Episode 3 and this may sound weird but the most unrealistic and unbelievable element in this show is that a bunch of Generation Z kids would have a manic love for old 70s horror. Or would know who Tom Savini is to name their group 😆 they'd be James Wan fanboys or somesuch.

I.. I just assumed kids these days were into some wierd old cultural stuff 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When Bode was watching Dark Crystal on his tablet I was thinking he was going to be in for a surprise when he saw what other Netflix originals were available.

As for the interest in old horror films, sure I wasn't alive at the time of a load of the hammer horror films but I'm familiar with them. But I guess I first watched them back when there were only 6 channels and had to watch whatever was on, so not really much choice. 🤔

• Advertisement

That was a weird bit of cross promotion, especially for a show that never got renewed and ended on a cliffhanger. That Dark Crystal show was fantastic and that little clip gave me a sad we'll never get more.

Ah the horror stuff just rings a little weird that a whole group of Gen Zs would be that stoked into old horror movies to am obsessive degree. I mean, they have taste and modern mainstream horror is kinda shít - but that's beside the point 😆

Advertisement