Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

• 14-02-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

I'm going to go ahead with an RAC check. This would give me the confidence to buy without even seeing the car.

Going through the cost of travelling over and bringing back the car myself it would take a full 24 hours of travel (3am-3am), a day off work, and €320.
    If I can pay a company to bring it back for me for 350-500e I think this might be worth it.

Can someone recommend a company to transport the car back? I've see this suggested but never any actual companies named.
    Are these companies aware of the process and ensure they get the V5C and proof of sale off the dealer, along with ferry receipt for NCT centre?

Thanks!

They are well aware of the process and will give you an invoice for the transport so you don’t need a ferry ticket. €400-€450 will get the car back to Dublin door to door. Theres a few companies, ALM Transport & Recovery, Eiretrans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Hi All,

Looking at a nice 5 series up north but its classified under the "disabled" taxation category. If importing it, would there be any issues or will it be classified as a normal acr here? Its a completely standard car with no modifications.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shouldn’t make any difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Shouldn’t make any difference at all.

So if i bring it in to VRT, it will be registered as a normal car?

Yes. I don’t think there would be any VAT implications or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes I know someone who brought in a car that was part of the disabled driver scheme in UK and there were no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking at a nice 5 series up north but its classified under the "disabled" taxation category. If importing it, would there be any issues or will it be classified as a normal acr here? Its a completely standard car with no modifications.

Thanks

Would be worth checking there's no adaptions done to the car that might devalue it as may be cosmetic damage removing any assistance controls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are you willing to buy and have shipped a used car you have never laid eyes on or test drove in person?

That's how I purchased my current Car I used Eirtrans to ship it over, only cost 400 euros delivered to Cork. The garage had a very good rating on both Google and Autotrader, I'd definitely do the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

Truckermal wrote: »
    That's how I purchased my current Car I used Eirtrans to ship it over, only cost 400 euros delivered to Cork. The garage had a very good rating on both Google and Autotrader, I'd definitely do the same thing again.

Did you get an AA or RAC inspection done first?

NVD gave me a quote of €325+VAT to Cork.
    Waiting for Eirtrans to get back to me.
    Another local dealership said they'll do it for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Did you get an AA or RAC inspection done first?

NVD gave me a quote of €325+VAT to Cork.
    Waiting for Eirtrans to get back to me.
    Another local dealership said they'll do it for €500.

No I didn't bother as the dealer told me what the car needed so I was happy to get a out the door price which equated to £600 off the list price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Cienciano wrote: »
    When did it happen? Dealer gave me the little slip of paper, not the full logbook. Luckily the rest of the form was sent to me from the DVLA saying the dealer should have gave me this. I think it's luck of the draw, depends on who in the DVLA's desk it lands on. They send it to me in Ireland so it saved me a lot of hassle. DVLA on the phone weren't helpful.
    Took about 4 weeks for the DVLA to send me the form

It was 4 weeks ago - I bought the car on 22nd Jan and they sent the log book off to the DVLA the following week. So maybe it will arrive to me next week. If not I will need to try and register it in the uk again but I'm not sure how to do that without having the logbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

CPTM wrote: »
    It was 4 weeks ago - I bought the car on 22nd Jan and they sent the log book off to the DVLA the following week. So maybe it will arrive to me next week. If not I will need to try and register it in the uk again but I'm not sure how to do that without having the logbook.

I think you’ve miss understood what’s happened. They’ve posted the logbook to the DVLA and marked is as exported. That trail ends there and you won’t get it.

You can’t export it to the UK unless you get someone who lives there to apply for a new book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

L-M wrote: »
    I think you’ve miss understood what’s happened. They’ve posted the logbook to the DVLA and marked is as exported. That trail ends there and you won’t get it.

You can’t export it to the UK unless you get someone who lives there to apply for a new book.

Yes , this, they won't send a new V5C to the Republic and you can't re-register it without. If it's marked exported, you'll have to re-import it (even if only on paper) using a friends UK address and then when the new V5C is received that way, use it to re-register in Ireland.

Cianciano was extremely lucky to have enquired after the V5C and a co-operative guy traced it and sent it on. It doesn't usually happen, certainly not automatically.

L-M wrote: »

Did you see the post to which I replied? The boardsie said the DVLA sent them out the log book. The DVLA have confirmed to me themselves that if they receive a logbook and the address on it is for another country they will process the export slip and send everything else in the post out to the new owner. Unfortunately the address on the log book is just my name, city and Eircode. I'm not sure if it's enough to get to me.

Quote from DVLA:

If we do receive a V5C Registration Certificate with a foreign address written on, we will forward the same V5C to the address provided. This can take up to 4 weeks to arrive. If you do not receive this as the vehicle has left the UK, you will need to contact the foreign authority of where the vehicle has been taken for further information.

Isambard wrote: »
    Yes , this, they won't send a new V5C to the Republic and you can't re-register it without. If it's marked exported, you'll have to re-import it (even if only on paper) using a friends UK address and then when the new V5C is received that way, use it to re-register in Ireland.

Cianciano was extremely lucky to have enquired after the V5C and a co-operative guy traced it and sent it on. It doesn't usually happen, certainly not automatically.

How can I import it without a log book though? Surely they need the same paperwork as the irish authorities? How do they know I haven't sold the car in the meantime?

these are the hoops you should have jumped through before letting the garage send it off.

If it turns up, you'll be OK but expect late VRT charges. If it doesn't, you've a large and expensive problem.

Isambard wrote: »
    these are the hoops you should have jumped through before letting the garage send it off.

If it turns up, you'll be OK but expect late VRT charges. If it doesn't, you've a large and expensive problem.

Do you not see that I'm drowning here, and you're just describing the water? Must be 5 times on different threads. Try to be more positive for people, especially those who know rightly they're up sht creek and might lose 10k. There's no point telling me what I should have done. Sorry, just highly stressed here about this and literally nobody wants to help. I can't believe how the dealer, irish authorities, nor English authorities can see that there is a father to be about to lose 10k on a car because of a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

To be honest I would hate to be in your position but try not worry too much about it. Your not going to loose 10k on the car. You will get the logbook eventually. Theres nothing stopping you from driving the car on uk plates for the next few weeks. Just ring DVLA every day and they might send the logbook over to you, it worked for the other poster so it might work for you. You’ll get a VRT appointment almost straight away once you have the logbook and your only looking at a couple of hundred in late fees. The very worst case scenario is that you cant vrt the car and have to sell it to a dealer up the north. Do you know anyone in the UK that could re register the car if it comes to that? If you do well then your sorted, it will just take time

User1998 wrote: »
    To be honest I would hate to be in your position but try not worry too much about it. Your not going to loose 10k on the car. You will get the logbook eventually. Theres nothing stopping you from driving the car on uk plates for the next few weeks. Just ring DVLA every day and they might send the logbook over to you, it worked for the other poster so it might work for you. You’ll get a VRT appointment almost straight away once you have the logbook and your only looking at a couple of hundred in late fees. The very worst case scenario is that you cant vrt the car and have to sell it to a dealer up the north. Do you know anyone in the UK that could re register the car if it comes to that? If you do well then your sorted, it will just take time

Thanks, I have 2 aunts in Belfast and I also have a sister in London. I bought the car from a dealer in Swansea - do you think therefore that I should go with my sister in London because it's nearer or does it not matter? The thing is, if I need to physically bring the car to whatever UK authorities to be registered, the North would be easier and cheaper.

There was another thread here which outlines the steps to re-register a car to the UK to get another log book generated, but one step requires me to send a letter and I'm not sure what I need to write in that letter. If anyone has an opinion about whether to go with my aunts in belfast vs my sister in london, I'll give that process a go tonight.

Thanks for your help.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058000698

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Quick question - as can’t find answer anywhere -
    Traveling over to uk Wednesday and hoping to pay for car using Revolut card - what is the maximum I can use on a Revolut debit card in the garage at a point of sale machine car is £11,000
    Thanks a million

I spent £12.5k with my Revolut card

• Advertisement

Do you not see that I'm drowning here, and you're just describing the water? Must be 5 times on different threads. Try to be more positive for people, especially those who know rightly they're up sht creek and might lose 10k. There's no point telling me what I should have done. Sorry, just highly stressed here about this and literally nobody wants to help. I can't believe how the dealer, irish authorities, nor English authorities can see that there is a father to be about to lose 10k on a car because of a piece of paper.

well I'm at least trying even if you don't appreciate it. No one here can give you a definitive answer.

The other poster got lucky , someone dropped it in the post for him, but it probably came to hand and if it's already been put through as exported, the car is basically unregistered and you'l have to go through whatever the UK authorities lay down to register a car in the UK, using a UK friend's address and even then you might have to physically take the car over.

I'd try having a go at the Dealer and getting them to sort it out. It's laid down clearly that they should have given you the V5C and they should have known that. They should be able to change the owner's details online to a UK address but if it's marked Exported might not be able to.

You're asking the wrong people really. It's a matter for the Dealer and the DVLA . Yiou need to find out if it's marked as exported, but I suspect it will be,.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Did you see the post to which I replied? The boardsie said the DVLA sent them out the log book. The DVLA have confirmed to me themselves that if they receive a logbook and the address on it is for another country they will process the export slip and send everything else in the post out to the new owner. Unfortunately the address on the log book is just my name, city and Eircode. I'm not sure if it's enough to get to me.

Quote from DVLA:

If we do receive a V5C Registration Certificate with a foreign address written on, we will forward the same V5C to the address provided. This can take up to 4 weeks to arrive. If you do not receive this as the vehicle has left the UK, you will need to contact the foreign authority of where the vehicle has been taken for further information.

If that is what the DVLA said, then i would believe them, and the address you provided, name, city, and eircode should be fine, as i understand it even the eircode alone should get to your house, if you do ring the DVLA you can tell them that a irish postcode is for a specific house, and not just an area. Try not to worry too much, i hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

Question regarding transfers and exchange rates if I may.
    My bank is charging me 2% when I use my debit card for non-euro purchases, but no more than 12 euro per transaction regardless of the amount. So I'm left with the VISA exchange rate, which at the moment seem to be better that Currency Fair, Transfermate or Transferwise.
    Am I missing something?
    Not to mention the fact that I could pay the same day I test drive the car, and there's no need for intermediaries.
    Sorry if this has already been answered...

P.S. The daily limit on my card is well above the price of the car.

I did just that when buying my car. Didn’t see any great point in bothering with anything else.

Last but not least, has anybody imported a diesel car after 1st of Jan, and if so, what did you do about the NOx emission levy?
    Apparently in the UK it's enough of a novelty and they can't provide a document clearly stating this value. And I'm talking about manufacturer approved used car sold by the manufacturer's official dealer... Makes one think the power that be in this country find new ways to discourage people from buying cars abroad...

I found the required data here (https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/) but I wonder if revenue accepts a printed page, even from a gov.uk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

amf78 wrote: »
    Last but not least, has anybody imported a diesel car after 1st of Jan, and if so, what did you do about the NOx emission levy?
    Apparently in the UK it's enough of a novelty and they can't provide a document clearly stating this value. And I'm talking about manufacturer approved used car sold by the manufacturer's official dealer... Makes one think the power that be in this country find new ways to discourage people from buying cars abroad...

I found the required data here (https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/ but I wonder if revenue accepts a printed page, even from a gov.uk site.
    Fixed bad link (remove bracket at end).

Not your ornery onager

I found the required data here (https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/) but I wonder if revenue accepts a printed page, even from a gov.uk site.

Thats an easy one, nox output is on the v5 logbook and main dealers can provide certificates of conformity that also state the nox outputs

User1998 wrote: »
    Thats an easy one, nox output is on the v5 logbook and main dealers can provide certificates of conformity that also state the nox outputs

This one doesn't have a certificate, as for the V5 logbook, I thought the new style rolled out last year no longer showed the nox?

A certificate of conformity is something you have to apply for, you don’t just get one with a car. You can order them online as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The NOX emissions leve is on the V5c of the car.

Advertisement