Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

colm_mcm wrote: »

Yes "export marker" is set to "yes". Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

CPTM wrote: »
    Yes "export marker" is set to "yes". Thanks though.

i don't know what they do obviously, but I can't see them filing the paperwork away so I'd guess they drop it in a shredder. once they taken it off their system by marking it exported.

That leaves the option of re-registering it in the Uk and doing it that way.

What did the dealer have to say? I'd be inclined to be threatening legal action as his actions are to blame. Had he followed the clear instructions on the DVLA website (and the V5C I think) he wouldn't have dropped you in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yes It seems to be an issue. I knew V5 was required but not the original. A photocopy coupled with invoice from a reputable dealer should be sufficient in terms of proof of ownership in my opinion.

Absolutely not sufficient, you wouldn't believe the amount of people who try forge documents. Original V5 is necessary.

Isambard wrote: »
    i don't know what they do obviously, but I can't see them filing the paperwork away so I'd guess they drop it in a shredder. once they taken it off their system by marking it exported.

That leaves the option of re-registering it in the Uk and doing it that way.

What did the dealer have to say? I'd be inclined to be threatening legal action as his actions are to blame. Had he followed the clear instructions on the DVLA website (and the V5C I think) he wouldn't have dropped you in this mess.

Actually the dealer started to play ball today after I threatened legal action. I've had a few emails from him apologising profusely while telling me he'll get it all sorted for me asap. I just wonder is there anything at all he can realistically do or is he as stuck as I am.

The good thing is he's part of a major dealer in Wales (Wessex Garages) so maybe they have some contacts in the DVLA. He said he's escalating it to senior management today and will have a response for me by tomorrow at the latest. Maybe garages have more sway when it comes to these things.

• Advertisement

Actually the dealer started to play ball today after I threatened legal action. I've had a few emails from him apologising profusely while telling me he'll get it all sorted for me asap. I just wonder is there anything at all he can realistically do or is he as stuck as I am.

The good thing is he's part of a major dealer in Wales (Wessex Garages) so maybe they have some contacts in the DVLA. He said he's escalating it to senior management today and will have a response for me by tomorrow at the latest. Maybe garages have more sway when it comes to these things.

good, I wonder would he handle the UK re-registering for you?

good, I wonder would he handle the UK re-registering for you?

Potentially but I would have thought I'm the only one who can do that. I've mentioned it to him a good few times so I guess I'll have to wait and see what he does next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Potentially but I would have thought I'm the only one who can do that. I've mentioned it to him a good few times so I guess I'll have to wait and see what he does next.

I’m not sure what sort of legal action you could pursue so it might be worthwhile keeping them onside in case you need to return the car for reregistration.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’m not sure what sort of legal action you could pursue so it might be worthwhile keeping them onside in case you need to return the car for reregistration.

Yes, I agree. My sister in london and aunt in Belfast dont want to help me with it, they think the onus is on the dealer. So those doors arent open to me. The dealer now seems like he wants to help. But we'll see if he actually can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes, I agree. My sister in london and aunt in Belfast dont want to help me with it, they think the onus is on the dealer. So those doors arent open to me. The dealer now seems like he wants to help. But we'll see if he actually can.

As you can't register the car here, then technically the car is not yet permanently exported, and you are likely to return it for a refund as the least expensive option to you. For this reason the dealer should write to the dvla requesting reversal of the export status, and the return of the V5, or the issue of a replacement V5, or the registration of the vehicle in the dealers name (this will add an extra owner). Once done, he can right the wrongs, send it to you, and you will be sorted.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    As you can't register the car here, then technically the car is not yet permanently exported, and you are likely to return it for a refund as the least expensive option to you. For this reason the dealer should write to the dvla requesting reversal of the export status, and the return of the V5, or the issue of a replacement V5, or the registration of the vehicle in the dealers name (this will add an extra owner). Once done, he can right the wrongs, send it to you, and you will be sorted.

Thanks for that Deezell. I'd be so screwed right now without boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 driver83

I 100% agree it is my fault and I make mistake when I bought car, but I didn't do anything illegal. I didn't steal, hurt or killI anybody, it is only mistake. I hold all papers/proofs/copies (full copy of v5c) even official letter from DVLA(after I contact them) witch say they can't send me pernament export certificate anymore.
    Everything is completely legal, but still can't register in Ireland because they "only" want ORIGINAL V5C witch is completely impossible to get now without reregister.
    I hope TDs or someone else can do anything with it, because for now it is completely JOKE !!!

driver83 wrote: »
    I 100% agree it is my fault and I make mistake when I bought car, but I didn't do anything illegal. I didn't steal, hurt or killI anybody, it is only mistake. I hold all papers/proofs/copies (full copy of v5c) even official letter from DVLA(after I contact them) witch say they can't send me pernament export certificate anymore.
    Everything is completely legal, but still can't register in Ireland because they "only" want ORIGINAL V5C witch is completely impossible to get now without reregister.
    I hope TDs or someone else can do anything with it, because for now it is completely JOKE !!!

They cant send you an export certificate, that document no longer exists. The replacement document is the V5, and you or the dealer should contact the DVLA to look for a re issue of the V5, sent to the dealer if they won't send to you. If the dealer handles this as per my previous post, he should be able to retrieve the V5, get a duplicate, or re-register the car in the dealer's name, by informing the dvla that export is currently not permanent. They must know if they received back the V5 that the purchaser effectively received no documentation. They may be cagey about sending you a duplicate abroad as it would have previous owners data, although we had no trouble receiving this last year, but the dealer should be able to retrieve one for you using his address. Don't give up just yet.

Thanks for that Deezell. I'd be so screwed right now without boards.ie.

It's just an opinion, there's no evidence you or they can actually do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Howdy all.

I just got caned by Revenue. Brought a car in after calculating the VRT online last week. 2011 E220 2.1 diesel with 70 miles came in (and still does) at about 1600 on the calculator.
    Rock up at the appointment and get a bill of 4452 !!! Nox changes in Jan make the import charge higher (as I now see from this thread).

The poor chap at the VRT desk is getting in the neck all the time apparently.

He says if the vehicle was in the stage before Jan 1 I have a chance with appealing.

Surely to f*** I have a case if their own system is giving out duff info ....

what ya reckon ? Take a chance on the appeal or bring it back to UK ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Lads/Ladies,

Can it be summed up what the craic is with this new Nox as well as VRT?
    The amount of information and threads out there on google and boards.ie, I'd be all day reading at it, and maybe still none the wiser.

Effectively - does this mean whatever money you may have previously saved, by going over to the UK, buying a car, and driving it home here or having it transported into ROI, is now defeated?

Haven't looked at costs or anything. I'm in Dublin 2 years now and managed to get my car exempt from VRT and plates transferred on. It was silly of me, I should have held off until I was buying a new car and used the exemption then. Plenty of northern reg cars driving about down here still and probably never caught.

It's just an opinion, there's no evidence you or they can actually do that.

Dealer made a mistake. Mistakes can always be corrected.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Howdy all.

I just got caned by Revenue. Brought a car in after calculating the VRT online last week. 2011 E220 2.1 diesel with 70 miles came in (and still does) at about 1600 on the calculator.
    Rock up at the appointment and get a bill of 4452 !!! Nox changes in Jan make the import charge higher (as I now see from this thread).

He says if the vehicle was in the stage before Jan 1 I have a chance with appealing.

There's no appeal on Nox for post Jamuary imports that I've heard of. It is what it is. Sell the car in NI and cut your losses, or trade in with a NI dealer for a low Nox one to import. Might be easier than trying to offload in thr UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The VRT calculator does not include the NOX charge also hardly any NOX charge on cars with a Euro 6 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Damn it anyway - They could at least put a warning on their VRT calculator.

Most of us just google for it and land straight into the calculator.

It's a nice bus anyway, so, I think I'll fork out and learn the lesson.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies,

Use this table. Get the Nox reading off the V5 cert. DO NOT import if there is no Nox level on the V5, regardless of what tables and spreadsheets are out there. Max Nox on Diesels is capped(!) at €4850, petrols and others, €600. Nox charge is in addition to VRT. The revenue calculator as yet does not include it.

Calculation of NOx charge
    NOx emissions (NOx mg/km or mg/kWh) Amount payable per mg/km or mg/kWh
    The first 0-60 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be

€5

The next 20 mg/km or mg/kWh or part thereof, as the case may be, up to 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be

€15

The remainder above 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be

€25

E39MSport wrote: »
    Howdy all.

Bring it back to the U.K.; you have no valid grounds for an appeal whatsoever.

Use this table. Get the Nox reading off the V5 cert. DO NOT import if there is no Nox level on the V5, regardless of what tables and spreadsheets are out there. Max Nox on Diesels is capped(!) at €4850, petrols and others, €600. Nox charge is in addition to VRT. The revenue calculator as yet does not include it.

€5

The next 20 mg/km or mg/kWh or part thereof, as the case may be, up to 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be

€15

€25

Just to be clear that the NOx charge is a component of the VRT rather than a separate charge. The problem is that the calculator just throws out the CO2 component (which used to be all that there was) and not the NOX component. Together they are the VRT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

€5

€15

€25

Thanks a mill,

unless you're willing to fork out on a super economic/green/fuel efficient diesel car that's very new, petrol looks to be the way to go for now would i be right in saying?

Is the whole thing smoke and mirrors to increase sales for Irish car dealerships? They were most likely giving out about people heading over to the UK to buy privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Lads/Ladies,

The amount of information and threads out there on google and boards.ie, I'd be all day reading at it, and maybe still none the wiser.

Effectively - does this mean whatever money you may have previously saved, by going over to the UK, buying a car, and driving it home here or having it transported into ROI, is now defeated?

It doesn't necessarily cut the savings completely. Depends on the car your bringing in. The newer Euro 6 diesels aren't that bad for NOX, For example, I looked up a 17 BMW 5 series the other day and the NOX was 450ish but the savings over Irish price was almost 2k and better spec too.

They're targeting the likes of the older diesels which were coming in by the boatload.. 12,13 Passats and Golfs etc were hit badly with the NOX charges.

Thanks a mill,

.....Is the whole thing smoke and mirrors to increase sales for Irish car dealerships?.....

Is the Pope a Catholic?
    Not just to boost new car sales, but to inflate used car prices, making it 'affordable' to trade up.
    Dealers were all for importing if it could have been restricted to them. People here have noted the attempted restrictive practice by some BMW UK franchises to refuse export to private importers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

mgn wrote: »
    The NOX emissions leve is on the V5c of the car.

This one doesn't, as confirmed by the dealer. Revenue also states that logbooks issued after April 2019 no longer list the NOx emissions.
    Next best thing is the certificate of conformity, which the dealer can't provide.
    As some have already pointed it can be ordered online. But the websites I found seem to be 3rd parties and aside from the fact that they charge a small fortune, can't even commit to deliver it to you in time for the VRT inspection.
    So unless you buy and keep the vehicle outside the state long enough to organize CoC, I don't see an alternative...
    Any other ideas?
    Has anybody managed to get their car registered without a document showing the NOx emissions, and not having to pay the full levy (4850 or whatever).
    After all Revenue has already built a database of cars and their emission values, I don't understand why they can't simply browse that and ask you to pay the value listed there.

The Coc for a car can be obtained if you have the generic vehicle type approval identifier, looks like this
    *98/14*0004*01
    This might be on the handbook of the car, it should be on the V5. I'll have to check that. You can translate this identifier to a CoC online on the revenue site here, for an eCoC.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/vehicle-services/electronic-certificate-of-conformity-for-vrt.aspx

Will it show Nox? Unless its for an exact instance of a car model, down to the engine, and even tyres, I doubt it.
    If you know how to search for a specific specification of a car by its Vin, I think I've seen the identifier in those lists but I'd need to check that also.
    Seriously, dont import with Nox unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

The Coc for a car can be obtained if you have the generic vehicle type approval identifier, looks like this
    *98/14*0004*01
    This might be on the handbook of the car, it should be on the V5. I'll have to check that. You can translate this identifier to a CoC online on the revenue site here, for an eCoC.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/vehicle-services/electronic-certificate-of-conformity-for-vrt.aspx

Will it show Nox? Unless its for an exact instance of a car model, down to the engine, and even tyres, I doubt it.
    If you know how to search for a specific specification of a car by its Vin, I think I've seen the identifier in those lists but I'd need to check that also.
    Seriously, dont import with Nox unknown.

Thanks for the input.
    I know the NOx value, or at least have a pretty good idea from 2 different sources which match, but none of those is the V5C or the CoC.
    So it's really a problem of having a document that will satisfy Revenue.

• Advertisement

They'll just choose the lazy default €4850. Is the type approval identifier on the v5? They have the tools to look this up.

Advertisement