Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dbu wrote: »

A lot of poor-mouth boo hooing over being small business owners, just sell them on.
    Jesus, use it or lose it.

"Dave, Padraig, and Brian O’Connor are named on the council’s derelict sites register as the owners of No 65, with Dave and Brian listed as the owners of 62, 63, and 64."

Go ahead and sue me, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

A lot of poor-mouth boo hooing over being small business owners, just sell them on.
    Jesus, use it or lose it.
    CPO by the Local Authority, should be simple but apparently not?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »

Given it's location that should nearly be pure apartments driving retail in the surrounding area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

rebs23 wrote: »
    CPO by the Local Authority, should be simple but apparently not?

In all fairness North Main Street is very far from investible at the moment.
    What happens if they rebuild, let them out to more charity and vape shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

marno21 wrote: »

About time something happened with that site. It's an absolute eyesore right in the middle of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I see some work going on there with cherry pickers over the last few weeks. look to have been removing the upper windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

Permission for a new residential building of 5 storeys over semi-basement comprising of 30 apartments, 11 car parking spaces, 48 bicycle parking spaces, plant, storage, refuse area and shared amenity areas at podium level and roof terrace. The development comprises of 3 studio apartments, 7 1-bed apartments, 16 2-bed apartments and 4 3-bed apartments. Vehicular, cycling and pedestrian access will be from Mardyke Walk.

These were previously listed on the derelict sites register:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Corks-derelict-sites-are-worth-20-million-ae58db65-ee71-497c-923c-ea557c9800fb-ds

Am I right in saying this is the vacant site opposite the church?

Have people stopped posting progress pics, I used to enjoy them as i dont get into the city often

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

About time something happened with that site. It's an absolute eyesore right in the middle of the city.

Wonder why the original plans didn't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Just not much progress at the moment I'd say. Christmas and now the election tend to bring things to a halt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to a post on SSC, Bus Eireann have been told that work on site begins on the Prism this week, with Deane Street parking removed from Thursday 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Are all these student apartments which are planned, in the middle of construction or recently completed having the desired impact and freeing up properties for private residential occupancy?

It would if UCC didn't keep increasing their student numbers year on year:

(UG+PG)

2014/15: 18,047

2018/19: 20,174

Those are the last numbers they've made publically available.

The soft sciences are a big money earner for the likes of UCC, so they keep adding more and more places, year on year.

Just like the college is too 'broke' to have full time staff, but have no problems expanding their property portfolio with large loans from the EIB.

Personal opinion here, but I won't be surprised if their expansion bubble bursts and they are seeking a large bailout in the coming years, at the threat of shutting down completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/public-meeting-to-discuss-glanmire-town-centre-development/

Anyone hear about this. Planning submitted for a 6 & 7 story building in Glanmire. Same spot they rejected the 13 story building. According to Oliver Moran it could be the start of "town centre" for Glanmire. He also notes in one of his tweets the road upgrades are due to start in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/public-meeting-to-discuss-glanmire-town-centre-development/

Anyone hear about this. Planning submitted for a 6 & 7 story building in Glanmire. Same spot they rejected the 13 story building. According to Oliver Moran it could be the start of "town centre" for Glanmire. He also notes in one of his tweets the road upgrades are due to start in September.

Heard nothing. Thanks for the update.
    That location is quite far from the three existing "town centres" in Glanmire (Riverstown, Glanmire and the newer area at Hazelwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

Heard nothing. Thanks for the update.
    That location is quite far from the three existing "town centres" in Glanmire (Riverstown, Glanmire and the newer area at Hazelwood).

The county planners decided to expand the town centre at Hazelwood into this area in the latest development plan. So the plan is to develop a linked town centre with measures such as: constructing a link road from Riverstown village to the Hazelwood road, and adding a pedestrian and cycle link somewhere between Palmgrove and the river from the L3010 to the Hazelwood centre. About half of the link road is complete as it was constructed with the Aldi.

There's a fair bit of derelict property in that area including the Barleycorn site and the area around the old brewery. The Lidl was the first part of the town centre zoning to be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Frostybrew wrote: »
    The county planners decided to expand the town centre at Hazelwood into this area in the latest development plan. So the plan is to develop a linked town centre with measures such as: constructing a link road from Riverstown village to the Hazelwood road, and adding a pedestrian and cycle link somewhere between Palmgrove and the river from the L3010 to the Hazelwood centre. About half of the link road is complete as it was constructed with the Aldi.

There's a fair bit of derelict property in that area including the Barleycorn site and the area around the old brewery. The Lidl was the first part of the town centre zoning to be developed.

Thanks. I didn't see that "town centre" development plan but I know the link road you're referring to. I believe the existing trees on the Barleycorn site are protected, of all things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

It would if UCC didn't keep increasing their student numbers year on year:

(UG+PG)

2014/15: 18,047

2018/19: 20,174

Those are the last numbers they've made publically available.

The soft sciences are a big money earner for the likes of UCC, so they keep adding more and more places, year on year.

Just like the college is too 'broke' to have full time staff, but have no problems expanding their property portfolio with large loans from the EIB.

Personal opinion here, but I won't be surprised if their expansion bubble bursts and they are seeking a large bailout in the coming years, at the threat of shutting down completely.

There's a small 'mini-bulge' of the children of those who were born in the late 1970s/early 1980s, what McWilliams calls the Pope's Children, present in Ireland's population now. A lot of that generation's children are now in their mid- to late-teens now or will be in the next few years.

Apart from that, the Irish government is planning for a population increase of about 1 million people in the next 20 years. Census 2016 recorded a population of close to 4.8 million; it's not inconceivable that the state's population will be 6 million by 2040 or sooner.

Add increased numbers of foreign students, non-EU and EU, some of whom who will be put off from going to UK universities and opt for Irish universities instead, and an increasing share of Irish school leavers going to higher education, and it's very likely that UCC student numbers will continue to increase for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Some pics of the new UCC student hub.

503209.jpg
    503210.jpg

OK the it fits in with the science building but that is not a good thing TBH

That building is off on its own and an eyesore as is, cannot understand what they built such a stark structure on the old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

OK the it fits in with the science building but that is not a good thing TBH

That building is off on its own and an eyesore as is, cannot understand what they built such a stark structure on the old?

I am no architect but I just cannot understand how someone thinks that new building looks well behind that classic limestone one is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Funny how An Taisce never object to anything being built in or by UCC, but object to absolutely anything else being built in the city.

Instead they're too busy presenting them with some crap ceremonial green flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny how An Taisce never object to anything being built in or by UCC, but object to absolutely anything else being built in the city.

Instead they're too busy presenting them with some crap ceremonial green flags.

Especially that half concrete Fuhrerbunker/ half clapboard fence eyesore of a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Especially that half concrete Fuhrerbunker/ half clapboard fence eyesore of a bridge.

That bridge is horrendous looking. I cannot believe an architect put that together, so disjointed with mismatched materials. And it looks like they might be casing the nice old brick shaky bridge ramp in similar unfinished looking poured concrete.

I dont hate the new Hub thing above as much as the rest, but UCC's recent penchant for plastic modern **** doesn't fill me with hope for the South Terrace/ Brooks Haughton business school site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hording going up on the Prism site this week according to skyscraper city

snotboogie wrote: »
    Hording going up on the Prism site this week according to skyscraper city

Brilliant, lets hope the sextant tower starts moving at the end of the month too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

This is an interesting development as I know UCC have plans for that site as well. The race is on!

Plan to quadruple the size of Mercy Hospital to meet demand

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Brilliant, lets hope the sextant tower starts moving at the end of the month too

They need to build Carey's their new space at the Kinsale Road first before anything happens. They might knock the sextant, but cant go further than that until at least end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

bingo9999 wrote: »
    They need to build Carey's their new space at the Kinsale Road first before anything happens. They might knock the sextant, but cant go further than that until at least end of the year

According to SSC they are starting the careys build next month and want them to be moved in by Dec 2020. So could possibly start construction on the tower in Dec 2020/jan 2021 if this gets permission, JCD are usually very good.

• Advertisement

Consultation filed with ABP to increase density at The Square Deal from 242 to 292 bedspaces: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306625.htm

ABP deems the O'Flynn application for 121 apartments at Old Fort Road, Ballincollig to be reasonable application basis: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306133.htm

ABP have sent Lyonshall back to the drawing board re: increase at O'Riordan's Joinery to 550 bedspaces: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306048.htm

Advertisement