Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outriders (PS5, PS4, PC XBOX One, Xbox Series X)

• 11-02-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭

Square Enix is bringing Outriders, the next game from Bulletstorm and Gears of War: Judgment developer People Can Fly, to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The co-op shooter is also coming to previously announced platforms — PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One — by the end of 2020.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gears of Destinylands with a Zeal & Ardor soundtrack from PCF?

I'd play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd actually like a new Painkiller game from them first. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd actually like a new Painkiller game from them first. :o
    The Project Lead / Lead Game Designer on Painkiller was Adrian Chmielarz whose studio The Astronauts is currently working on Witchfire, due out this year.

It may be more relevant to your interests...

You can follow more recent developments on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Mehstiny

gizmo wrote: »
    The Project Lead / Lead Game Designer on Painkiller was Adrian Chmielarz whose studio The Astronauts is currently working on Witchfire, due out this year.

It may be more relevant to your interests...

You can follow more recent developments on their website.

Yeah, it's on my watch-list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Co-op shlooter?

*Yawn* Wake me up when something interesting is announced for the next gen platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Getting a destiny, gears & mass effect vibe off that. Looks a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Witchfire. The only good thing about this thread and now i know it exists, glad i came in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It’s still incredibly meh - a been there, done that, seen that vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It’s still incredibly meh - a been there, done that, seen that vibe.

Yep. At least 3 years too late.

Demo out this week which is basically the 1st part of the game.

Progress carries over to main game in April.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Demo out this week which is basically the 1st part of the game.

Progress carries over to main game in April.

more details here
    Outriders demo progress
    In what’s becoming increasingly rare, Outriders developer People Can Fly is actually making it possible for your progress in the demo to carry over to the full game. This includes your story progress, character levels, inventory, unlocks and so on.

The only caveat to this is that progress only sticks to the same platform. Despite Outriders supporting cross-play, it seemingly does not support cross-progression.

Outriders demo content
    The Outriders demo includes a generous amount of content. For starters, all four classes will be available to choose from. All six character slots will be in the demo, too, meaning there’s more than enough room to experiment and explore the different classes.

In terms of story content, you’ll have access to the prologue and Outriders’ opening chapter. You’ll get to play right up to and including the confrontation with antagonist Gauss. After defeating them, more side content will become available, which you can also play.

Your character’s level is capped at 7, and People Can Fly says that’s enough to unlock four active abilities. You’ll also get two skill points you can spend anywhere you like in the skill tree.

As for difficulty, only up to World Tier 5 is available in the demo. World Tiers are essentially difficulty levels, which you climb up/down through dynamically as you play. The better you do, the higher World Tiers you’ll activate, and the more interesting the rewards become. There are also other limitations on resources and materials, which are in place to avoid cases where players grind out the demo and get a big advantage at launch.

Beyond that, the game’s crafting system will not be part of the demo, so you’ll have to make do with dropped loot.

Outriders demo cross-play
    The Outriders demo supports cross-play between all of the game’s platforms. The feature is being beta tested over the next couple of weeks, so you’ll need to manually turn it on in the game’s settings if you want to play with friends across different platforms.

Seeing as Outriders is an entirely PvE game, there hopefully shouldn’t be any dismay about cross-play here.

To be fair, that's a pretty impressive demo package they've put together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Demo looks interesting and the cross play could mean a large player base, and you can play with friends regardless of there platform, which imo is very interesting.

Demo now available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Demo now available

Is demo available to all or just if you preordered?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Is demo available to all or just if you preordered?

Everybody, no preorder needed

I enjoyed that, bought it last year so no "demo" expectations for me.

Towards the end started to see the build options for the game going forward, went with Pyro and my coop buddy went with devastator, enjoyable playing time.

Could improve a few things but 2 months till launch it should be fine, been a while since I played an actual demo of a game before it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I only had a quick go of the demo last night, just getting to the end of the prologue - which is taking a bit too long imho, I know they are introducing you to systems but basics like aiming or sprinting shouldn't be locked until they use a conversation to explain it to you, for a while I thought my remapped keys weren't working. Previews made this look like The Destivision (my super clever mix of Destiny and The Division :) ) so I have high hopes . Too early for an informed oppinion but it runs well enough though with mediocre visuals, needs work on the graphic fidelity and options since it hides the usual culprits like motion-blur under aggregate options and you have to disable via INI file edits. Voice acting for the most part is decent but so cliched, you can tell who your first villain is within seconds - English accent in the middle of mostly american and he's wearing a bloody cape ffs. Still the devs historically know how to design excellent shooter mechanics so I can live with that if the rest of it lives up to their standards. Will give it proper go tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Demo was good fun. It plays like Destiny in some ways, but it seems not to be GAAS as they promised. So a proper shooter/coop/rpg with coop being optional.

wes wrote: »
    Demo was good fun. It plays like Destiny in some ways, but it seems not to be GAAS as they promised. So a proper shooter/coop/rpg with coop being optional.

It was never GAAS its a standalone game more akin to Borderlands than Destiny.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its my type of game on paper but while i enjoyed the short time playing im just not convinced after about 3 hours but it really is only a snippet of the full game, well thats what im hoping.
    Level design in quest areas ie where the fighting happens is very poor with all areas looking too similar.
    Not a huge issue if the combat is good which it is but a lot of the skills across characters seem to be just clones of each other in a disguise of different graphical effect.
    Hopefully the skill three changes this but even here a lot of nodes are just % to this or that, even the main nodes dont look too impressive but again its not until one starts to make builds and really theory craft before id like to fully judge it.
    The gunplay is nice though which is vital if they want this to be successful grind looter game.
    As always with this type of game endgame will make or break it, just look at Anthem great gameplay but no endgame content, similar story but not near as bad for both Division games.
    Story seems more interesting than most of this genre but then again story isnt important in a looter.
    The cover system is deeply flawed and very clunky compared to other cover games.
    What is also incredibly important is the loot system it has to be interesting and varied thankfully its looking interesting so far but again the demo in terms of progression is tiny so its impossible to judge for now.
    Im interested for sure and keen to se how things go from here.

Played a bit more tonight. I'd agree with a lot of the comments so far. Level design is terrible, simple short engagement arena/boxes that do not do the rest of the game justice. Movement just feels off, it's not broken so much as just a little janky and unrealistic, more like a first person shooter with a 3rd person model, there's little weight to the character and it makes it feel like you're really hovering. Voice acting has gotten worse since the earlier stages, sometimes decent and fits the semi-cheesey atmosphere but other times completely off, I know I bring this up often but it's an immersion and mood breaker for me.
    I picked trickster when I finally made it to the meat of the demo, I normally play more tactical snipingcamperfk style but decided to go with an all in your face class since the game learned from Doom/Doom Eternal and rewards aggressive play. It was okay for an hour until I ran into my first mini-boss and trying to play primarily with guns/cover and then using the skills as optional tacticals I died about 5 times. Took a breath, re-evaluated and remapped my skill keys to match a determination to make them a constant part of my play and what a difference it has made. The game came alive, warping behind, slashing, occasionally freezing time to deal more damage and restock on health. It reminded me of a more complex version of the Meat-hook on the super-shotty in Doom Eternal, once you start using it properly it changes the game and becomes as much of a necessity and joy as simply moving.
    level design is not something they can fix by release but I hope they get the time to add more complex levels because what I have seen of the action when it clicks is great.

If the demo is still out I might give it a go but have to say just from watching videos it looks generic as hell and kind of ugly. Like a visually awkward mix between Division and Destiny or "Destivision" as mentioned upthread.
    tbh I don't think any live service game is going to rival Destiny 2 anytime soon.

Demo out till April, its not Destiny or Division, its Border-them-storm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Played a bit today, really enjoyed the combat hard to get a proper gauge on things with everything being quite limited but the loot looks promising as well as the skill trees. The cutscenes and voices seem a bit off but apart from that nothing that would bother me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Terrible intro to the game lost interest immediately from it. Controls are pretty crap, feels like GoW which I've never liked for the same reason. Uninstalled, I'll give this one a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Terrible intro to the game lost interest immediately from it. Controls are pretty crap, feels like GoW which I've never liked for the same reason. Uninstalled, I'll give this one a pass.

I wouldn’t say the intro was terrible.

It gave the backstory etc as expected. If anything it probably outstayed it’s welcome slightly.

The graphics need a decent amount of work. It looks pretty poor in places. Character models just look unfinished to me.

The voice was off as well. Cut off at the end of cut scenes and repeating on top of itself at times.

I had two crashes in about two hours of play.

To be fair though all of that can be ironed out in patches which isn’t unusual. If anyone played the original Destiny at launch you’ll know that **** wasn’t perfect at launch either!

The big positive after all that negative is the gameplay though. I absolutely love the gameplay. I’m a big or was a big Gears of War fan when I had a 360. That was the last Xbox I owned though so I’ve missed my fix for this kinda game.

I played 100ish hours of Division 2. I like it but the loot was **** and you levelled up so quickly you’d max out without thinkin.

This feels like a cross between Gears of War and Destiny both of which I’ve spent countless hours on.

I hope they fix a few of the issues above before launch but even if they don’t I’ll most likely pick this up because I can see it being a constantly patched game ala Destiny. I’ll easily get 50 plus hours out of it so worth the price of admission imo.

And just noticed that it was developed by People Can Fly who developed the Bulletstorm game. I was thinkin it that feel to it as well. ****i n great game that. That give me even more hope for it and published by Square Enix helps!

The big positive after all that negative is the gameplay though. I absolutely love the gameplay. I’m a big or was a big Gears of War fan when I had a 360. That was the last Xbox I owned though so I’ve missed my fix for this kinda game.

Agreed graphical and voice issues can be ironed out, gameplay mechanics cant be in such a short time and i really enjoyed that side of it. Plus the story is interesting, i remember booting up Destiny back in the day and being like wtf is this story, was so lacking after Bungie building it up while i feel its the opposite here the game hasnt really been hyped up and all the core features seem pretty solid and enjoyable.

Looking forward to checking out the crafting system which seems really good from some of the reviews ive seen(being able to take perks from one gun and put them on another etc) and nice to see a pretty extensive skill/perk tree too.

Outside of the blunder that was Avengers Square Enix have done some pretty good stuff lately imo enjoy a lot of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally played a bit of this. Went with the demolition build. TBH, you can easily tell it's not designed for single player. Most of these games that are akin to this are the same. They claim you can play it SP, but you know inearly every single time you just know it wasn't made with SP in mind. Seemed alright story wise and aside from audio bugs and some rough looking graphics in parts, I reckon it could be a good co-op game. But not for me unfortunately. I'll wait until it's F2P or on Plus/Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus, I'm going to have to get an XSX and Gamepass. MS are really pushing it and it seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus, I'm going to have to get an XSX and Gamepass. MS are really pushing it and it seems too good to be true.

Game Pass also includes a bar of chocolate daily, a pizza on your birthday and a bottle of whiskey for Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s annoying there remains a fairly substantial gap between PC and console when it comes to third party Game Pass stuff. Not that I’m particularly interested in this game, but for all Microsoft’s talk of play anywhere there’s still clearly PC Game Pass and console Game Pass. I fully get the rights issues and it’s hardly like PC doesn’t have a healthy selection of games, but it’s a shame there’s often a big caveat when they make these announcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's an average console game.
    It's a below average PC game.

I mean this in the sense that the controls are ****e on PC. They might work on console but in lieu of a compelling story or combat system, who cares to find out.

It's an average game overall. The story is intriguing but shallow in the end. They don't spend enough time on it. Combat is meh. Skills are hard to target accurately, and some are just vague. I liked it a bit, but not enough to buy on release, not even close.

It's an average console game.
    It's a below average PC game.

I mean this in the sense that the controls are ****e on PC. They might work on console but in lieu of a compelling story or combat system, who cares to find out.

It's an average game overall. The story is intriguing but shallow in the end. They don't spend enough time on it. Combat is meh. Skills are hard to target accurately, and some are just vague. I liked it a bit, but not enough to buy on release, not even close.

No issues for me on PC in terms of controls.
    Lets be honest anybody interested in the longterm gear grind that this game is all about has little to no interest in a story.
    I have thousands of hours in diablo and other looter games but havent a clue about their story infact most dont even have one.
    Yeah i played the campaign in diablo and monster hunter world etc but they were all forgettable, anyone playing this for a story are playing the wrong genre.
    If these types of games do have a campaign its literally just a glorified tutorial and a means to get you to level x or y so you can then progress to the real meat of the game the endgame.
    This is intended to be a diablo like looter playing content over and over for ever increasing difficulty mid maxing builds and getting ever increasingly better loot.
    Combat is actually pretty good but the skills on the technomancer ie turret placing is dodgy for sure the rest are fine.
    The loot actually looks varied and interesting in this unlike destiny and the division.
    Im waiting to see what sort of endgame it has before i even consider buying.

Its a bit of BS the game is coming to game pass only on xbox but not PC.

Having said that i would have concerns about it on game pass PC, let me explain.

A few months ago i started playing deep rock galactic which i hadnt played since early access.
    The game seemed dead with it being hard to find games for missions you needed.
    Net result i bought the steam version after people on reddit suggested i do so as its a totally different experience.
    Those people were 100% correct,now i have countless live matches to pick from for any mission i want.
    20K + playing most days on steam yet i felt alone on game pass.

Theres every chance it would be a similar scenario with outriders on steam.

• Advertisement

Preload is open on Steam, 42GB. And if you're still playing the demo apparently it auto-deletes that install.

Not sure whether to continue my character or start a new one, i didnt farm much in demo. Dont want to be OP running around also dont want to be under levelled depends on how the AI will scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not sure whether to continue my character or start a new one, i didnt farm much in demo. Dont want to be OP running around also dont want to be under levelled depends on how the AI will scale.

I'm going to restart, I will jump from PS5 to Xbox series X due to it being on Game Pass so likely have to restart. But I don't mind replaying a small portion now I know what I'm doing. It lets me pay more attention to the story.

Unless you want a new class and you didnt level all 4 classes to max demo level of 7 and world tier 5 your just wasting time.
    Your not gonna be OP in any way just from what you played in the demo even if your full of legendaries and as always with these types of games any loot you find will be useless an hour later up until you start the endgame grind in expeditions.

Some people have completed the remainder of the campaign and hit world tier 10 [requirement to start the endgame expeditions] in 4 hours but most done so in 6 hours so people expecting this game to be a story driven campaign experience are playing the wrong genre, this is a diablo like loot grind [just what i want :)]
    Yes they skipped some side missions but remember considering this type of game is all about rerunning missions for better drops its wise to avoid side missions and just get to endgame then do your side missions for better loot.

Solidfps has been streaming endgame very early , he knows his looter games better than most, the math behind the stats etc.
    Hes very in depth and as i say really knows his stuff, worth a watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/solidfps

I have one legendary and didnt get close to max level, played enough to know i liked it and left it at basically.

I have one legendary and didnt get close to max level, played enough to know i liked it and left it at basically.

Yeah combat is great and loot seemed varied and interesting even in the demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've been watching some people stream this, and its not blowing me away.

How has everyone elses opinion been of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Looks like gears of snore with overpowered powers, that about it?

Can see myself enjoying it at first but growing quickly bored with it, which are the type of games i avoid these days :(

Vicxas wrote: »
    I've been watching some people stream this, and its not blowing me away.

How has everyone elses opinion been of it?

I really like it but im a sucker for loot shooters if its not your type of game classically outriders probably isn't going to be the one to convert you

nix wrote: »
    Looks like gears of snore with overpowered powers, that about it?

Can see myself enjoying it at first but growing quickly bored with it, which are the type of games i avoid these days :(

It's not a cover shooter, despite the mechanic built in. The best way to sum it up is the cover is for the NPCs. If you play it as a cover and guns based game you will be frustrated and die often (most people, me included, did at first). Play it fast/in-your-face while focusing on powers and it's a blast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement