Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outriders (PS5, PS4, PC XBOX One, Xbox Series X)

• 11-02-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Square Enix is bringing Outriders, the next game from Bulletstorm and Gears of War: Judgment developer People Can Fly, to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The co-op shooter is also coming to previously announced platforms — PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One — by the end of 2020.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Gears of Destinylands with a Zeal & Ardor soundtrack from PCF?

I'd play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd actually like a new Painkiller game from them first. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I'd actually like a new Painkiller game from them first. :o
    The Project Lead / Lead Game Designer on Painkiller was Adrian Chmielarz whose studio The Astronauts is currently working on Witchfire, due out this year.

It may be more relevant to your interests...

You can follow more recent developments on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Mehstiny

gizmo wrote: »
    The Project Lead / Lead Game Designer on Painkiller was Adrian Chmielarz whose studio The Astronauts is currently working on Witchfire, due out this year.

It may be more relevant to your interests...

You can follow more recent developments on their website.

Yeah, it's on my watch-list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Co-op shlooter?

*Yawn* Wake me up when something interesting is announced for the next gen platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Getting a destiny, gears & mass effect vibe off that. Looks a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Witchfire. The only good thing about this thread and now i know it exists, glad i came in here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It’s still incredibly meh - a been there, done that, seen that vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It’s still incredibly meh - a been there, done that, seen that vibe.

Yep. At least 3 years too late.

Demo out this week which is basically the 1st part of the game.

Progress carries over to main game in April.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Demo out this week which is basically the 1st part of the game.

Progress carries over to main game in April.

more details here
    Outriders demo progress
    In what’s becoming increasingly rare, Outriders developer People Can Fly is actually making it possible for your progress in the demo to carry over to the full game. This includes your story progress, character levels, inventory, unlocks and so on.

The only caveat to this is that progress only sticks to the same platform. Despite Outriders supporting cross-play, it seemingly does not support cross-progression.

Outriders demo content
    The Outriders demo includes a generous amount of content. For starters, all four classes will be available to choose from. All six character slots will be in the demo, too, meaning there’s more than enough room to experiment and explore the different classes.

In terms of story content, you’ll have access to the prologue and Outriders’ opening chapter. You’ll get to play right up to and including the confrontation with antagonist Gauss. After defeating them, more side content will become available, which you can also play.

Your character’s level is capped at 7, and People Can Fly says that’s enough to unlock four active abilities. You’ll also get two skill points you can spend anywhere you like in the skill tree.

As for difficulty, only up to World Tier 5 is available in the demo. World Tiers are essentially difficulty levels, which you climb up/down through dynamically as you play. The better you do, the higher World Tiers you’ll activate, and the more interesting the rewards become. There are also other limitations on resources and materials, which are in place to avoid cases where players grind out the demo and get a big advantage at launch.

Beyond that, the game’s crafting system will not be part of the demo, so you’ll have to make do with dropped loot.

Outriders demo cross-play
    The Outriders demo supports cross-play between all of the game’s platforms. The feature is being beta tested over the next couple of weeks, so you’ll need to manually turn it on in the game’s settings if you want to play with friends across different platforms.

Seeing as Outriders is an entirely PvE game, there hopefully shouldn’t be any dismay about cross-play here.

To be fair, that's a pretty impressive demo package they've put together!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Demo looks interesting and the cross play could mean a large player base, and you can play with friends regardless of there platform, which imo is very interesting.

Demo now available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Demo now available

Is demo available to all or just if you preordered?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Is demo available to all or just if you preordered?

Everybody, no preorder needed

I enjoyed that, bought it last year so no "demo" expectations for me.

Towards the end started to see the build options for the game going forward, went with Pyro and my coop buddy went with devastator, enjoyable playing time.

Could improve a few things but 2 months till launch it should be fine, been a while since I played an actual demo of a game before it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I only had a quick go of the demo last night, just getting to the end of the prologue - which is taking a bit too long imho, I know they are introducing you to systems but basics like aiming or sprinting shouldn't be locked until they use a conversation to explain it to you, for a while I thought my remapped keys weren't working. Previews made this look like The Destivision (my super clever mix of Destiny and The Division :) ) so I have high hopes . Too early for an informed oppinion but it runs well enough though with mediocre visuals, needs work on the graphic fidelity and options since it hides the usual culprits like motion-blur under aggregate options and you have to disable via INI file edits. Voice acting for the most part is decent but so cliched, you can tell who your first villain is within seconds - English accent in the middle of mostly american and he's wearing a bloody cape ffs. Still the devs historically know how to design excellent shooter mechanics so I can live with that if the rest of it lives up to their standards. Will give it proper go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Demo was good fun. It plays like Destiny in some ways, but it seems not to be GAAS as they promised. So a proper shooter/coop/rpg with coop being optional.

wes wrote: »
    Demo was good fun. It plays like Destiny in some ways, but it seems not to be GAAS as they promised. So a proper shooter/coop/rpg with coop being optional.

It was never GAAS its a standalone game more akin to Borderlands than Destiny.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its my type of game on paper but while i enjoyed the short time playing im just not convinced after about 3 hours but it really is only a snippet of the full game, well thats what im hoping.
    Level design in quest areas ie where the fighting happens is very poor with all areas looking too similar.
    Not a huge issue if the combat is good which it is but a lot of the skills across characters seem to be just clones of each other in a disguise of different graphical effect.
    Hopefully the skill three changes this but even here a lot of nodes are just % to this or that, even the main nodes dont look too impressive but again its not until one starts to make builds and really theory craft before id like to fully judge it.
    The gunplay is nice though which is vital if they want this to be successful grind looter game.
    As always with this type of game endgame will make or break it, just look at Anthem great gameplay but no endgame content, similar story but not near as bad for both Division games.
    Story seems more interesting than most of this genre but then again story isnt important in a looter.
    The cover system is deeply flawed and very clunky compared to other cover games.
    What is also incredibly important is the loot system it has to be interesting and varied thankfully its looking interesting so far but again the demo in terms of progression is tiny so its impossible to judge for now.
    Im interested for sure and keen to se how things go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Played a bit more tonight. I'd agree with a lot of the comments so far. Level design is terrible, simple short engagement arena/boxes that do not do the rest of the game justice. Movement just feels off, it's not broken so much as just a little janky and unrealistic, more like a first person shooter with a 3rd person model, there's little weight to the character and it makes it feel like you're really hovering. Voice acting has gotten worse since the earlier stages, sometimes decent and fits the semi-cheesey atmosphere but other times completely off, I know I bring this up often but it's an immersion and mood breaker for me.
    I picked trickster when I finally made it to the meat of the demo, I normally play more tactical snipingcamperfk style but decided to go with an all in your face class since the game learned from Doom/Doom Eternal and rewards aggressive play. It was okay for an hour until I ran into my first mini-boss and trying to play primarily with guns/cover and then using the skills as optional tacticals I died about 5 times. Took a breath, re-evaluated and remapped my skill keys to match a determination to make them a constant part of my play and what a difference it has made. The game came alive, warping behind, slashing, occasionally freezing time to deal more damage and restock on health. It reminded me of a more complex version of the Meat-hook on the super-shotty in Doom Eternal, once you start using it properly it changes the game and becomes as much of a necessity and joy as simply moving.
    level design is not something they can fix by release but I hope they get the time to add more complex levels because what I have seen of the action when it clicks is great.

If the demo is still out I might give it a go but have to say just from watching videos it looks generic as hell and kind of ugly. Like a visually awkward mix between Division and Destiny or "Destivision" as mentioned upthread.
    tbh I don't think any live service game is going to rival Destiny 2 anytime soon.

Demo out till April, its not Destiny or Division, its Border-them-storm :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement