Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yep I'll drop him a text.

I don't mind keeping it for myself but would be good to get it to whoever owns it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I don't mind keeping it for myself but would be good to get it to whoever owns it. :)

He can't lay his hands on anything right now - he's quite flippant about the whole thing. He got it from an old housemate, fairly new bike he used it to get to the gym in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

He can't lay his hands on anything right now - he's quite flippant about the whole thing. He got it from an old housemate, fairly new bike he used it to get to the gym in the mornings.

A lesson for everyone there. Take a pic of your serial number and email it to yourself and be sure to put subject (canyon serial number,trek serial number etc) always easy to find after the fact.

I'd be reluctant to hand it over to someone without them knowing the serial number despite what they say. Turn it into the Gardai and let whomever make a claim to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I wish my housemate would give me an S-Works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Without trying to seem like a vulture - what happens to bikes that are unclaimed? do they go to an auction or something after a particular period of time has passed?

and further to that - whats the story if someone had claimed off their insurance for a bike they had stolen?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I wish my housemate would give me an S-Works.

We were discussing a Merida, the S-works was another :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

We were discussing a Merida, the S-works was another :)

duh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Anyone missing a full carbon cube peleton?

The guy selling this is definitely a crack head, not a hope in hell he owns this.

If it's yours pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grey_man

Hi guys,

My bike was stolen from my shed in the Dublin 10 area. I only discovered that it was stolen yesterday but I estimate that it was actually stolen no more than 8 days ago.

It’s a Cube Attain GTC Carbon White/Black, size 53 frame in mint condition. There are no marks, scratches etc. anywhere on the bike. It looks exactly like the images attached to this post. It has Shimano A530 pedals and Lezyne Zecto Drive lights fitted. There is no bottle cage or pump holder fitted to the bike.

I’m posting here in the hope that somebody from boards.ie might see my bike for sale somewhere, be it online or in person, and could message me about it.

I know it’s a long shot but if anybody could keep an eye out I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 geraldo1982

Might be noting. But there is a bike selling page on Facebook. and the same two lads and posting different bikes for sale most days. As I said it might be noting but something doesn’t add up. Is called “Dublin Cycling Club & Market. (Used bikes)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grey_man

Might be noting. But there is a bike selling page on Facebook. and the same two lads and posting different bikes for sale most days. As I said it might be noting but something doesn’t add up. Is called “Dublin Cycling Club & Market. (Used bikes)

Thanks geraldo1982! I’ll check it out.

So, browsing adverts last night looking for a cheap Fixie I came across one and sent the link to my mate to ask his opinion, turns out it was his cousins bike that had been stolen.

Long and short of it is I'm now the owner of said fixie and some little scrote has no money tonight when he thought he was getting 140quid.

Met him in town, took the bike and said 'this is my bike, it was stolen now f##k off'

The original owner had already replaced it so didnt want it back, so I've given him a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So, browsing adverts last night looking for a cheap Fixie I came across one and sent the link to my mate to ask his opinion, turns out it was his cousins bike that had been stolen.

Long and short of it is I'm now the owner of said fixie and some little scrote has no money tonight when he thought he was getting 140quid.

Met him in town, took the bike and said 'this is my bike, it was stolen now f##k off'

The original owner had already replaced it so didnt want it back, so I've given him a few quid.
    Please do report the advert / seller on adverts.ie. All those platforms have a big responsibility for facilitating selling of stolen property.

I had a chat with one of the adverts staff, I gave him the heads up and he removed the ad and user after I got the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good man Jimmy :cool:

How did it go down - we want details!! :pac:

I had a chat with one of the adverts staff, I gave him the heads up and he removed the ad and user after I got the bike
    Thanks, fair play. Unfortunately, the seller will probably pop up again with a new ID, but at least you got to clear any reputation he had.

These sellers really should have higher ID requirements for sellers selling multiple bikes.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Good man Jimmy :cool:

How did it go down - we want details!! :pac:

Tbh my plan was to just test ride the bike and cycle off, I ended up loosing some of my calm so I just took it off him and told him to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Just dropping a line in here. Lapierre Audacio 100 swiped from my workplace on Friday evening at 5.40PM by some scrotes who watched for someone leaving and managed to slip in through the door. Park West Road, Dublin 12.

aLc75fb.jpg

Local enough to me, I'll keep an eye out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Local enough to me, I'll keep an eye out

Cheers. Last seen pelting off up towards the plaza in PW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Sorry for post but this lad again has bike up that he knows noting about. It doesn’t seem right the way he talks about the bike not even know img the basic names for the right parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Sorry for post but this lad again has bike up that he knows noting about. It doesn’t seem right the way he talks about the bike not even know img the basic names for the right parts.

Who.?

"Dublin Cycling Club & Market" on Facebook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just a reminder folks, that there's to be no posting of suspicious looking ads or 'outing' suspicious sellers.
    not just because it could be libellous, it could be counterproductive if they somehow saw the ad - it could spook them and the ad and seller could disappear

Ya that’s no problem. But this lad is posting back bikes up everyday.
    just a reminder folks, that there's to be no posting of suspicious looking ads or 'outing' suspicious sellers.
    not just because it could be libellous, it could be counterproductive if they somehow saw the ad - it could spook them and the ad and seller could disappear

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Personally I would be in favour of some sort of vigilantism but, regrettably, it is the responsibility of the Gardai and the advertising site. I don't disagree with you but if your wrong it is boards.ie that gets the rap on the knuckles if a defamation suit is put forward.

Report it to the platform (adverts.ie ?) for a start.

I think it's facebook and they couldn't give a fiddlers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Lithuanian crime gang suspected of carrying out multi-million bicycle theft racket
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bike-theft-dublin-lithuania-4995364-Feb2020/

another article in the Journal.ie, some of the details have been covered earlier in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If anyone wants to trawl through Lithunaian buy and sell after that article here is one such webpage if its any use https://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/transportas/dviraciai/plento-sportiniai-dviraciai/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Lithuanian crime gang suspected of carrying out multi-million bicycle theft racket
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bike-theft-dublin-lithuania-4995364-Feb2020/

another article in the Journal.ie, some of the details have been covered earlier in this thread

No mention of whether or not the tracked bike was seized or simply just monitored.

And with

"After realising the bicycle had been stolen, the owner alerted the company via their service app. They set a signal in motion and the bike could then be tracked via its GPS, which ‘pings’ the signal at random intervals."

How does this work ? I can see how a tracker may read from a GPS signal infrequently but how does the transmission happen ? I presume there isn't SIM a card involved

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No mention of whether or not the tracked bike was seized or simply just monitored.

And with

"After realising the bicycle had been stolen, the owner alerted the company via their service app. They set a signal in motion and the bike could then be tracked via its GPS, which ‘pings’ the signal at random intervals."

How does this work ? I can see how a tracker may read from a GPS signal infrequently but how does the transmission happen ? I presume there isn't SIM a card involved

I think there'd have to be a SIM card involved to get updated GPS positions. Either that or some class of proprietary wireless WAN or radio transmitter, both of which seem less likely.

I've just ordered a GPS tracker for my motorbike, it has a sim and you need to pay 30quid a year for it. How it works is if the bike moves without the keyfob near the bike I get calls and texts

smacl wrote: »
    I think there'd have to be a SIM card involved to get updated GPS positions. Either that or some class of proprietary wireless WAN or radio transmitter, both of which seem less likely.
    There are trackers using proprietry networks like SigFox, which have good coverage in urban areas.

https://www.munstergps.ie/product-category/sim-free-gps-trackers/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 600lbs

Hi All

I'd greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out for 3 bikes stolen from my house on Shanowen Avenue, Santry near DCU some time between 5pm on the evening of Monday 17th February and 7am On Tuesday 18th February.

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user so I had to edit out the https from the links below

Bikes:

1. Scott Speedster 30 Mens road bike. - 2017 model black and orange.
    evanscycles.com/en-ie/scott-speedster-30-2017-road-bike-EV286214

2. Tern Linke D8 womens foldable bike - Purple. Very unique looking folding bike.

ternbicycles.com/bikes/475/link-d8

3. Trek 7.3 FX WSD - Women's hybrid. - black very similar to this freewheelbike.com/product/trek-7.3-fx-wsd-womens-173035-1.htm

The Scott and Trek bikes both had Abus Sinus plus 471 150 HB locks in the holders on their frame, the scumbags don't have the keys. They also had a set of Cateye Volt 100 XC - Rapid Micro Lights on the front and rear.

The trek and Scott also had bike racks fitted to the rear which weren't fitted when the photos below were taken.

Photos of the bikes:

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_scott_speedster_30_road_bike_2017_model.jpg

Picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_screenshot_20200218_075606.jpg

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_trek_73_fx_wsd_womens_black.jpg

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

600lbs wrote: »
    Hi All

I'd greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out for 3 bikes stolen from my house on Shanowen Avenue, Santry near DCU some time between 5pm on the evening of Monday 17th February and 7am On Tuesday 18th February.

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user so I had to edit out the https from the links below

Bikes:

1. Scott Speedster 30 Mens road bike. - 2017 model black and orange.
    evanscycles.com/en-ie/scott-speedster-30-2017-road-bike-EV286214

2. Tern Linke D8 womens foldable bike - Purple. Very unique looking folding bike.

ternbicycles.com/bikes/475/link-d8

3. Trek 7.3 FX WSD - Women's hybrid. - black very similar to this freewheelbike.com/product/trek-7.3-fx-wsd-womens-173035-1.htm

The Scott and Trek bikes both had Abus Sinus plus 471 150 HB locks in the holders on their frame, the scumbags don't have the keys. They also had a set of Cateye Volt 100 XC - Rapid Micro Lights on the front and rear.

The trek and Scott also had bike racks fitted to the rear which weren't fitted when the photos below were taken.

Photos of the bikes:

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_scott_speedster_30_road_bike_2017_model.jpg

Picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_screenshot_20200218_075606.jpg

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_trek_73_fx_wsd_womens_black.jpg

Than you.

Facebook marketplace is a good bet.

The last few weeks I've seen an endless amount of bikes valued close to 1k being sold for 150, I asked a lad out of curiosity what's the best he'd do on a trek alexa that looked brand new, he said he'd give it to me for 60 if I met him at northside shopping centre in next 20 mins lol

Marketplace is full of them

italodisco wrote: »
    Facebook marketplace is a good bet.

The last few weeks I've seen an endless amount of bikes valued close to 1k being sold for 150, I asked a lad out of curiosity what's the best he'd do on a trek alexa that looked brand new, he said he'd give it to me for 60 if I met him at northside shopping centre in next 20 mins lol

Marketplace is full of them

Thank you for your advice, italodisco.

Its about ten years since I last used Facebook, are there specific selling groups I should follow or is marketplace a separate feature on Facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If owner came back. Probably be in trouble if attacked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Hi All

Very sorry to hear that. I live on Shanowen Avenue.

I'm on out on the bike around 6.30am and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

micar wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that. I live on Shanowen Avenue.

I'm on out on the bike around 6.30am and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you, micar. We only bought the house so it's a nice welcoming gift from the local scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Thank you, micar. We only bought the house so it's a nice welcoming gift from the local scumbags.

Is it ok if I pm you?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We looked at a house on that road, wonder if it was the same one? It's a high traffic area, and close to a garda station and also lots of students around so it's a risky enough place you'd think, but these folk don't care.

We moved in near enough, and there was a local meeting about bike theft in the area (Glasnevin/Finglas) so it's something that's a happening.

I've also been on the 4 before where I saw a few scrotes get off at DCU with some hacksaws with the intention of going on campus to nick bikes I think.

micar wrote: »
    Is it ok if I pm you?

Of course you can. Thanks.

Yeah, they were brazen enough as they would have come through the back garden to burgle the house, which means they would been in a few other adjoining gardens to get access.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    We looked at a house on that road, wonder if it was the same one? It's a high traffic area, and close to a garda station and also lots of students around so it's a risky enough place you'd think, but these folk don't care.

We moved in near enough, and there was a local meeting about bike theft in the area (Glasnevin/Finglas) so it's something that's a happening.

I've also been on the 4 before where I saw a few scrotes get off at DCU with some hacksaws with the intention of going on campus to nick bikes I think.

The bikes were stolen from inside the house?

Scary thought.

Yeah, the scumbags broke into the house and stole the three bikes and other items.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Passing by IFSC towards Beckett bridge, saw the aftermath (heard the incident) of a bike thief getting hit by a car.

The car was turning right, and the thief was cycling away from either a concerned citizen or bike owner, and they undertook and completely misjudged the arc of their and the cars trajectory.

Very lucky to not have a very serious injury, but I had zero sympathy for them. The citizen made sure the driver was okay while the fecker did a runner.

He'd probably get compensation too if he stuck around and got details

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Weepsie wrote: »
    Passing by IFSC towards Beckett bridge, saw the aftermath (heard the incident) of a bike thief getting hit by a car.

The car was turning right, and the thief was cycling away from either a concerned citizen or bike owner, and they undertook and completely misjudged the arc of their and the cars trajectory.

Very lucky to not have a very serious injury, but I had zero sympathy for them. The citizen made sure the driver was okay while the fecker did a runner.

He'd probably get compensation too if he stuck around and got details

Fcuking cockroaches. It's hard to kill them.