Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Having a rotten run here this week. Lost 2 calves calving, another aborted and lost another with pneumonia this morning followed up by another section on a springer. Fit to give up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Having a rotten run here this week. Lost 2 calves calving, another aborted and lost another with pneumonia this morning followed up by another section on a springer. Fit to give up :(

Ah you get runs like that lad. Keep her going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s terrible form. Keep the head up it’ll come good yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,242 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's a bad run. Had a cow with milk fever this evening and another calved in the cubicle shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

I fell you pain. I usually go through a wide range of emotions during calving. Some days I wonder why I bother but there is always light at the end of the tunnel, it's hard to swallow but it will pass and things will get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Maybe it says more of myself.

But if you have any deceased relatives maybe just have a quiet humble word with them and explain how you're doing the best you can and have a word with the man himself. There's never any rhythm to these yokes. But they usually do happen in a heap together.
    I kind of believe in luck.

And sure if you're not religious you've still nothing to loose as you'll be talking to yourself and clearing the head. :pac:

These tillage farmers have it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

That a tough run. Hopefully your luck will change.
    Were the two losses CH bull calves?

tanko wrote: »
    That a tough run. Hopefully your luck will change.
    Were the two losses CH bull calves?

No 2 lims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Keep the chin up- last year we had an awful run- got crypto at the start of calving and ended up with viral pneumonia as these calves were really weak- lost around 40 calves tru out the year- really tough spring one day we had to inject 160 calves- anyways this year is totally different and it’s a joy to be rearing calves-lost 1 calf that was born alive out of 180 calvings so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Once your bad luck stays outside the door ,you can always recover from a bad run .Every farmer will get a sickening run at some stage so keep the chin up ,the snaps you have displayed on here of your cattle and surroundings have giving many a man a lift!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

cute geoge wrote: »
    Once your bad luck stays outside the door ,you can always recover from a bad run .Every farmer will get a sickening run at some stage so keep the chin up ,the snaps you have displayed on here of your cattle and surroundings have giving many a man a lift!!

+1 on the above, some days would drive you too distraction but I always think that once your alive then nothing is beyond resolution. Granted it's easy to get disheartened at the time and there have been days where no doubt I swore never again and I'm only a Micky mouse operater.

Keep the head up and don't let it get the better of you, hopefully better times are ahead and it will all soon be a distant memory.

This was the fella I had to section yesterday out of a springer. Fair lump, vet reckoned he's 80kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

This was the fella I had to section yesterday out of a springer. Fair lump, vet reckoned he's 80kg.

Had they an easy winter on the mountain? 3 years ago, I lost 4 calves one after the other, I was nearly drove to distraction.....keep the head, take a few hours off if you can and remember down through the years all the ones you got when your luck was in....

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Had they an easy winter on the mountain? 3 years ago, I lost 4 calves one after the other, I was nearly drove to distraction.....keep the head, take a few hours off if you can and remember down through the years all the ones you got when your luck was in....

They had in fairness. I didn't give them any feeding at all yet and they are in great nick still.

That lad is a monster the height and the legs on him!!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That lad is a monster the height and the legs on him!!

To be honest the picture doesn't do him much justice. You'd have to be standing beside him to really appreciate how big he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

He's ready to be weaned ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

To be honest the picture doesn't do him much justice. You'd have to be standing beside him to really appreciate how big he is.

Did that come from teh bull's breeding? What breeding is in the cow?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Did that come from teh bull's breeding? What breeding is in the cow?

The bull is dancer x ferry. 3rd round of calves out of him and had no problems last 2 years. Springer was out of old ionesco stock bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

5 calves here so far, 4 heifers and 1 bull. All easy calving Angus so calved in 30 mins from waterbag to on the ground and up on their feet in 20-30 mins and suckling under the hour.

There really is something to be said about smaller calves. Hay + licks all Winter with meal and silage 7 days before. They are seasoned old cows but we had no trouble last year with the heifers who were first run with the new Angus bull.

Quiet start. 2 years ago I had 3 breaches in one night so I'm overdue it.

• Advertisement

The bull is dancer x ferry. 3rd round of calves out of him and had no problems last 2 years. Springer was out of old ionesco stock bull.

Similar breeding to our own bull. Throws an odd big calf but usually easy enough and we use him on heifers

Angus2018 wrote: »
    5 calves here so far, 4 heifers and 1 bull. All easy calving Angus so calved in 30 mins from waterbag to on the ground and up on their feet in 20-30 mins and suckling under the hour.

There really is something to be said about smaller calves. Hay + licks all Winter with meal and silage 7 days before. They are seasoned old cows but we had no trouble last year with the heifers who were first run with the new Angus bull.

Quiet start. 2 years ago I had 3 breaches in one night so I'm overdue it.

Good to hear all that chap. Do you finish? I think that suits the easier calving lads

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Good to hear all that chap. Do you finish? I think that suits the easier calving lads

Yep, all finished on grass. Heifers at 18-20 months and bullocks at around 26-28 months.

Another one this morning. The new hereford bull's calves are due to start in 2 weeks. We had a monster before, calves were gigantic and had a very tough time with vet visits, breaches, jack and many not being able to even stand without a lot of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Expected Progeny Performance for ZAG
    Calving Difficulty (%3 & 4) 3.4% 99% (Very High)
    Gestation length (days) 3.91% 99% (Very High)

Can someone explain "gestation length (days) 3.91% - does it mean increasing the 283 days by 1.0391, resulting in 11 days added on to the normal gestation of 283 days.

Expected Progeny Performance for ZAG
    Calving Difficulty (%3 & 4) 3.4% 99% (Very High)
    Gestation length (days) 3.91% 99% (Very High)

Can someone explain "gestation length (days) 3.91% - does it mean increasing the 283 days by 1.0391, resulting in 11 days added on to the normal gestation of 283 days.

Where are you seeing 3.91%? It's 3.91 days PTA on www.icbf.com .
    Also 290 days gestation for his offspring.

All this in the 'Gestation' tab under 'Replacement index'.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/CASTLEVIEW-GAZELLE

Thanks for the reply Patsy.

What is PTA ?

I am getting anxious with heifers that are overdue.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/CASTLEVIEW-GAZELLE

Thanks for the reply Patsy.

What is PTA ?

I am getting anxious with heifers that are overdue.

Ya, that's a mistake. There should be no % after the 3.91.
    290 days back from today would be 11 May 2019. Remember too, that you have to consider the cow's breeding. If she has limousin breeding, this will add a few days too.

SI 12 May, LM 18 May - I find that if they are carrying bull calves they can go over their time too. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Number 14 landed yesterday evening. Gave a small pull but I'd say she would have calved on her own if I left her. Nice handy heifer calf. That's 14 now in 36 days, the bull did a good job in picking them up as soon as they were let out. Average number of days since last calving is 355 with the longest so far being 363 days.
    Have 6 left to go now. 2 or 3 should be soon enough but I'd say the last 3 will drag the ar*e out of it.
    Can't wait to get them out of the shed. Spending half my time checking calve backsides for scour but so far so good.

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Number 14 landed yesterday evening. Gave a small pull but I'd say she would have calved on her own if I left her. Nice handy heifer calf. That's 14 now in 36 days, the bull did a good job in picking them up as soon as they were let out. Average number of days since last calving is 355 with the longest so far being 363 days.
    Have 6 left to go now. 2 or 3 should be soon enough but I'd say the last 3 will drag the ar*e out of it.
    Can't wait to get them out of the shed. Spending half my time checking calve backsides for scour but so far so good.

Big yella girl calved herself yesterday evening. Calf up sucking within 30mins what a relief. I rushed home as da told me she was slow at making progress. Aggressive enough but I got the spray on his navel. Up to 12 now. 21 to go.

Advertisement