Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Would anyone have a link to a good layman's guide on how to understand those sounding diagrams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Knock reporting snow on the latest met eireann reports

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Clear intervals tonight with temp 2.8c and rainfall today of 1.17mm. No wind of any consequence.

Seems U.K. got very heavy flooding& winds with planes diverted & ports shut for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Very windy here in Kerry tonight getting the strongest winds of the day with a gust of 87 km/h a short time ago during a squally shower.

17.5mm

same here further west ... very heavy gusts with those showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME showing it nearly if not as windy tomorrow as it was today and looking like the winds carrying convective clouds far inland with what looks like numerous wintry showers from the midlands to the the East coasts comprising of lots of hail / graupel showers perhaps.

Big convective gusts again to be expected in the Eastern half of the country.

Sporadic lightning again tomorrow, more so in the W, NW perhaps.

anim_ece9.gif

anim_uxi0.gif

anim_fki7.gif

aromehd-56-30-0_scg8.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Just gone out a quick drive up to 300m. It is snowing above 250m. This bodes well for after midnight if it’s already snowing that low.

I have a video but I don’t know how to upload it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hailstones belting off the window here (Castlebar)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Just gone out a quick drive up to 300m. It is snowing above 250m. This bodes well for after midnight if it’s already snowing that low.

https://streamable.com/ is the easiest way to upload videos imo. Just upload the video and it will give you a link that you can post anywhere.

It won’t let me post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hailstones belting off the window here (Castlebar)

Rain belting off the windows out near Newport, not much wind either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clear here in Meath, radar beginning to look quite empty through much of Leinster. Showers have turned wintry in the west and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It won’t let me post it.

Too few posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Kermit what you thinking for the next 2 days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

It won’t let me post it.

Pm the link to me. I can post for you.

Or just separate the link so its not a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

This is the video Nqp15hhu made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only going by my localised experience of this latest named feature, but have to say, that the UKMO, or whatever model the UK Met Office uses in their short range forecasts on their app, proved to be the most accurate regarding gust and mean wind speeds throughout the day. GFS didn't do too bad either. Worst performers by far were the ECMWF & Harmonie, with other high res models such as the Arpege not far behind, although these models did very well with regards forecast rainfall totals.

I've come to the stage now where I just want this winter to end. Like last winter, and most winters before that, it just seems impossible to get a good old fashioned wind storm here in the west of Ireland at least, and I find the search and false hope of seeing them every winter becoming more and more tedious by the year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think someone posted this before but meteociel actually carry detailed info from each Irish station (more than met.ie). See for example http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk which shows dew points but click on any station and you get lots more detailed info. Useful for forecasting snow over the next 48 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thanks for that link RebelBrowser. Had that bookmarked one time but it seemed to have went missing from the list. Tried to search for it again but I find it hard to navigate that website. Bookmarked in 'Favourites' now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thanks for that link RebelBrowser. Had that bookmarked one time but it seemed to have went missing from the list. Tried to search for it again but I find it hard to navigate that website. Bookmarked in 'Favourites' now.

Yeah, crazy met.ie dont give that detail. Tried the met.ie wow site GL linked earlier and that didnt seem to be working (showed it was widely 12c across the country).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

jArgHA wrote: »
    Would anyone have a link to a good layman's guide on how to understand those sounding diagrams?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057947753

The leftmost line is the dew point and the red line the air temperature. You are looking for a negative dew point at 1000 (sea level).

If the dew point and temperature are close above 0c, snow is unlikely.

The main determinant is the wet bulb temp which should be close to 0c, which would be the middle line, as explained in the link above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Fair play, I asked about lower uppers or upper lowers a while back now I can get more of an understanding.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Only going by my localised experience of this latest named feature, but have to say, that the UKMO, or whatever model the UK Met Office uses in their short range forecasts on their app, proved to be the most accurate regarding gust and mean wind speeds throughout the day. GFS didn't do too bad either. Worst performers by far were the ECMWF & Harmonie, with other high res models such as the Arpege not far behind, although these models did very well with regards forecast rainfall totals.

I've come to the stage now where I just want this winter to end. Like last winter, and most winters before that, it just seems impossible to get a good old fashioned wind storm here in the west of Ireland at least, and I find the search and false hope of seeing them every winter becoming more and more tedious by the year.

UKV, part of the "Unified model" (UKMO model suite) which Euro4 is also a part of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Model

A few 18Z GFS soundings for a couple of spots around the country (red dots) during that system tomorrow morning. Very saturated profiles, so no scope for evaporative cooling. Temperatures and wbt hovering around zero or slightly above in those blue ("snow") areas, but well above it in the far south. High ground will do very well out of it.

502391.png

502392.png

502393.png
    502394.png

A few 18Z GFS soundings for a couple of spots around the country (red dots) during that system tomorrow morning. Very saturated profiles, so no scope for evaporative cooling. Temperatures and wbt hovering around zero or slightly above in those blue ("snow") areas, but well above it in the far south. High ground will do very well out of it.

502391.png

502392.png

502393.png
    502394.png

Thanks for sharing. I have just had a look at that site, it’s fairly good. For my location (Ulster) the wet bulb temp hovers around 0c, rising a tad tomorrow afternoon, then back down. Wet bulb reaches 0c around 3am.

It is currently 1.5c.

I see the GFS is still predicting 516dam on Tuesday afternoon. That is pretty low for an Atlantic air stream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Approximately when is this system expected to be fully clear of Ireland? There are still squally heavy showers in Cork accompanied by fairly blustery gusts at 00:30

Thanks for sharing. I have just had a look at that site, it’s fairly good. For my location (Ulster) the wet bulb temp hovers around 0c, rising a tad tomorrow afternoon, then back down. Wet bulb reaches 0c around 3am.

It is currently 1.5c.

I see the GFS is still predicting 516dam on Tuesday afternoon. That is pretty low for an Atlantic air stream!

I reckon it's underdoing it by a few dams. Today's 12Z Valentia sounding had a thickness of around 543 dam, yet the 06Z GFS run had it at around 538 for the same time. An error of -5 dam just 6 hours out. Something more like 520 dam along the west coast tomorrow seems more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Quite surprised but some of these smaller showers are still reaching Dublin! Just had another rain shower, temperature isn’t cold enough yet obviously, :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

Expect these squalls to penetrate a good way in land, very gusty winds also, probably worse than last 24 hours

Advertisement