Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Look as I said - I didnt time it but I'm not shocked he added on a big chunk.

I wanted Dublin to lose (look back through nearly all my posts on boards!!) but if the shoe had been on the other foot and my team was in that position then I'd be raging with the ref not adding minutes to originally flagged 6 mins and he does have discretion to do so.

I'm of the opinion that he used the discretion correctly tonight.

If you wanna go a little further then I would say that the ref gave Monaghan a good few soft frees so swings and roundabouts, etc

The only thing I have am issue with is the ref playing exactly enough time for Dublin to equalise.

I don't even think it's a specific pro Dublin thing, games often go until sonerhing exciting happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very harsh to add that amount of time, but in saying that I felt Monaghan made a hash of finishing it off too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Didnt realise it was a members only club.

The doors were always open. Congratulations on making the first move, even if it was just to whinge.

Monaghan were going down in the last 10 mins like they were in the opening scene on the beach in Saving Private Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

About time a ref played the correct amount of added time. Always happens after the 70 minutes, teams start little rows around the place. Ref stopped the game for 2 minutes for bookings and messing started by Monaghan lads, they've only themselves to blame. If they just played the game, ref would have played 76 mins and they might have hung on.

This Dublin team very impressive. Dont know when they're beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The only thing I have am issue with is the ref playing exactly enough time for Dublin to equalise.

I don't even think it's a specific pro Dublin thing, games often go until sonerhing exciting happens.

I cant disagree that GAA refs have an almost OCD like desire for symmetry when it comes to scorelines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Those who post and follow the games regularly will be aware of this move by referees to go past the minimum recommended extra time, especially when there is blatant time wasting within that period.

Dubs were on the wrong end of it against Kerry a few weeks back. 6 Minutes and closer to 10 played on that occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

STB. wrote: »
    The doors were always open. Congratulations on making the first move, even if it was just to whinge.

Monaghan were going down in the last 10 mins like they were in the opening scene on the beach in Saving Private Ryan.

Ah fair play. I always like a good whinge after a match in fairness, I just don't usually do it on boards.

They were going down a fair bit all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Not sure where the 10 minutes of injury time came from to allow Dublin grab a draw. Monaghan so close to beating the Dubs for a 3rd year in a row.

Armagh very impressive in tonight's other game. They should gain promotion to Division 1 but anyones guess who will join them.

Go back and watch the first 3 mins of injury time and tell me how much football was played? Monaghan lad stayed on the deck for most of the injury time. Only themselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Ref was perfectly entitled to add time there if he felt there was time wasting going on, which there clearly was. Serious resilience from the Dubs to come back from where they were. They are just never beaten, even in a relatively meaningless league game in February.

Fair play to those that braved the hill, wouldn’t do it for love nor money on an evening like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,033 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All right Yoda.

Laugh away, I'm not the one whos team needed the refs help to draw at home.

The ref enabled the lead, giving Monaghan frees when a Dublin player got within an inch of them, Ignoring or missing Monaghan players dragging Dublin players down to the ground with them and some pure dives, running into Dubs who simply held their ground and throwing themselves on the deck...it’s quickly becoming a scourge in the game, If you can’t win fairly, don’t turn up.

There might be some Meath, Kerry, Cork fans or whoever, happy at that result but if you are a sporting person you’ll recognize that we are starting to see an awful lot of teams now, quite often those with the ‘underdog’ tag, prepared to engage in the ‘darker arts’ to elevate their chances in games, it’s not sporting, not fair and not within the spirit of the game.... I’m equally pissed off if I’m watching Laois vs Leitrim and it’s going on....

if you are a sporting person you want entertainment, skill, fairness... foul play to level a playing field or a scoreboard ? No, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a pretty consistent thing that fouls are given more in one on one defending then with a blanket defence, even if the same offence is committed

No idea why

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

jon1981 wrote: »
    Go back and watch the first 3 mins of injury time and tell me how much football was played? Monaghan lad stayed on the deck for most of the injury time. Only themselves to blame

I texted someone during the match saying "Ball has been in play for 5 seconds in the last 3 minutes". I'm pretty sure that 5 seconds was a kick out after a Dublin point and then stopped in the midfield for an injury to a Dublin and Monaghan player.

I was pre-emtively raging at the ref around then because I assumed he'd blow up on 76 but he ended up doing his job and adding on the additional time he was meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭HBC08

Strumms wrote: »
    The ref enabled the lead, giving Monaghan frees when a Dublin player got within an inch of them, Ignoring or missing Monaghan players dragging Dublin players down to the ground with them and some pure dives, running into Dubs who simply held their ground and throwing themselves on the deck...it’s quickly becoming a scourge in the game, If you can’t win fairly, don’t turn up.

There might be some Meath, Kerry, Cork fans or whoever, happy at that result but if you are a sporting person you’ll recognize that we are starting to see an awful lot of teams now, quite often those with the ‘underdog’ tag, prepared to engage in the ‘darker arts’ to elevate their chances in games, it’s not sporting, not fair and not within the spirit of the game.... I’m equally pissed off if I’m watching Laois vs Leitrim and it’s going on....

if you are a sporting person you want entertainment, skill, fairness... foul play to level a playing field or a scoreboard ? No, sorry.

Hilarious to hear a dub talking about a level playing field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Do you have the same opinion when Dublin engage in these 'darker arts' as they often do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Comical the amount of neutrals outraged by the additional time played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Comical the amount of neutrals outraged by the additional time played.

It's a sad state of affairs when I'm being the voice of reason with regard to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

It's a sad state of affairs when I'm being the voice of reason with regard to Dublin.

I was glad the time was added on because it was merited , if you are going to act the bollox and waste time you should be prepared for a extra few minutes to be added on.

Do you have the same opinion when Dublin engage in these 'darker arts' as they often do?

They in fact often don’t, they systematically use skill, determination and hard work to overcome opposition...they have those qualities in spades so anything overly ‘dark’ isn’t on their menu...

Interesting though that because I’ve been critical of tonight’s opposition and officials it’s.. “what about Dublin ?”... fair minded sporting people simply want win, loose or draw the game to be played in a fair, open, honest and competitive manner. Things happen in the heat of battle but there tonight there was certainly a rehearsed amount of skulduggery and foul play that the officials were not competent enough to get a handle on, to the detriment of the game in terms of quality and honesty that reasonable followers will be looking for.

They in fact often don’t, they systematically use skill, determination and hard work to overcome opposition...they have those qualities in spades so anything overly ‘dark’ isn’t on their menu...

Interesting though that because I’ve been critical of tonight’s opposition and officials it’s.. “what about Dublin ?”... fair minded sporting people simply want win, loose or draw the game to be played in a fair, open, honest and competitive manner. Things happen in the heat of battle but there tonight there was certainly a rehearsed amount of skulduggery and foul play that the officials were not competent enough to get a handle on, to the detriment of the game in terms of quality and honesty that reasonable followers will be looking for.

Ah here, Dublin are the most clever and cynical team playing the game. Third man tackles, basketball style picks and blocking, cynical fouls to slow up play, feigning and diving to win frees, you name it they do it and they are the best at it by a mile. Remember the closing stages of the 2017 final when Mayo were trying to restart and Dublin took virtually every Mayo player down in sync? That’s just one example.

Please don’t take that as a dig at Dublin, the game has become very cynical and impossible to referee and it is creeping in at all levels. To suggest that it is something that other teams are doing to try to dislodge the holier than thou dubs is a massive stretch though.

Please don’t take that as a dig at Dublin, the game has become very cynical and impossible to referee and it is creeping in at all levels. To suggest that it is something that other teams are doing to try to dislodge the holier than thou dubs is a massive stretch though.

It’s not an anti Dublin tactic I’ve not suggested that it was...it’s a tactic now often employed by teams when they don’t choose to back their pure footballing ability vs teams who on paper are superior.

I think even in criticizing officials... the game is so fast now that it’s seemingly looking like it’s impossible to referee almost... 145x88 meters, 30 players who have never been fitter, faster, hungrier...I’m beginning to think with the speed the game is played, the competitiveness and physicality involved, to enable fairness... two referees could be needed in the near future.

This is simply because of the was the game is evolving, faster, more competitive, more physical and the ‘darker arts’ of the game can be more exploited to the detriment of the spectacle.

• Advertisement

It’s not an anti Dublin tactic I’ve not suggested that it was...it’s a tactic now often employed by teams when they don’t choose to back their pure footballing ability vs teams who on paper are superior.

I think even in criticizing officials... the game is so fast now that it’s seemingly looking like it’s impossible to referee almost... 145x88 meters, 30 players who have never been fitter, faster, hungrier...I’m beginning to think with the speed the game is played, the competitiveness and physicality involved, to enable fairness... two referees could be needed in the near future.

This is simply because of the was the game is evolving, faster, more competitive, more physical and the ‘darker arts’ of the game can be more exploited to the detriment of the spectacle.

I’d agree with almost everything you say there but I think you suggested in a number of posts that Dublin trade purely on ability and don’t ever engage in dark arts. I don’t think anything could be further from the truth, it isn’t possible to be successful now without stretching the rule book.

I’d agree with almost everything you say there but I think you suggested in a number of posts that Dublin trade purely on ability and don’t ever engage in dark arts. I don’t think anything could be further from the truth, it isn’t possible to be successful now without stretching the rule book.

Dublin don’t correct, but it’s just frustrating watching a game where you can see that for about 55 of the 70 minutes there is systematically one team, over reacting to contact, simulating that a foul has occurred, going down, lying on the ball and waiting for a whistle ...and the ref buys it despite being feet away... no right thinking fan of sport can be alright with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Gael85

Ah here, Dublin are the most clever and cynical team playing the game. Third man tackles, basketball style picks and blocking, cynical fouls to slow up play, feigning and diving to win frees, you name it they do it and they are the best at it by a mile. Remember the closing stages of the 2017 final when Mayo were trying to restart and Dublin took virtually every Mayo player down in sync? That’s just one example.

Like all winning teams yes Dublin has been cynical when closing out games. Great Kerry teams used to do the same but was classified as cute Kerry horism or manning up/laying down markers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

tell me of a team who gets unreasonable extra time in the league to facilitate a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

physioman wrote: »
    After seeing that the only solution is timekeeping the way the ladies football do it. There would be no arguments.

Didn't see the match so can't comment on specifics but the bizarre refusal to follow the lead of ladies football when it comes to timekeeping is something the GAA really should address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Timistry wrote: »
    tell me of a team who gets unreasonable extra time in the league to facilitate a draw?

None, it was a reasonable amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Monaghan created the added time through diving and substitutions. Good to see that this is being penalised now by added time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would be interesting to see Monaghan come up against Dublin in the summer, they're a team who always do well against them in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Monaghan created the added time through diving and substitutions. Good to see that this is being penalised now by added time.

You scraped a draw against a far lesser County. Just take it on the chin with a bit of grace, if you know what grace is.

• Advertisement

Games in Portlaoise, Drogheda, and Aughrim off already.

Advertisement