Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What boardsies would you bring back?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Gynoid, it's the disappearance of the post that makes it so odd. Like you said, it's anonymous, so why was the post deleted?

I don't know. But so what? Maybe I am missing something.
    Maybe he was embarrassed. Maybe he was cranky. Maybe he has the bosses phone number. If I was around as long as him maybe I would too. Who gives a feck.
    I think he is a nice guy.

Anyways. I will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Gynoid, it's the disappearance of the post that makes it so odd. Like you said, it's anonymous, so why was the post deleted?

Very strange.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'll miss him for the sheer volume of posts he contributed. I only know him from here but can't say I cared for him, seems like he was more helpful and personable on other forums.

A lot of backseat modding, could be very condescending and got real sets on some posters and would engage with way too much and in a really repetitive way.

A LOT of how he presented himself was to do with his downright smugness about his retirement and how comfortable it was. Like gynoid says fudging a few details here and there is understandable and actually prudent. It could have been easily explained away, he was well able to fight his corner like. It's the account closure and the deleted post that makes me think he was making things up wholesale rather than tweaking or exaggerating.

I should know because I'm actually a criminal psychologist, so is my daughter. I had her when I was 15 but I made it work without taking anything from anyone so I'm not listening to any excuses from any feckless dolehounds. We live in France now. My husband is a pilot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why bother divulging information at all if it's a lie?:confused:

Oh because I am a weird walter mitty making up **** and playing y'all. Or maybe I am just commenting, you know, on weather near enough to me...
    Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Leg End Reject really wants blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Leg End Reject really wants blood.

No, I'm just rather easily amused. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Something to talk sh*te about on a Friday innit.

Something to talk sh*te about on a Friday innit.

Zackly. I'm swinging on my office chair here having a read and a swig of my Butlers hot choc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Gynoid wrote: »
    Feel like a bit of a moron here but why the fliuch are we brutally castigating a person because of an apparent discrepancy in dates and years? Who the flupping flup gives a sh1t about such things? Are we supposed to leave our PPS number in our signature? Personally I fudge the occasional fact like x number of children instead of y, or this county not that one, because the whole thing is this is not a public show. Having been relentlessly stalked for the past 3 years online by a nasty someone I do not know nor never met, I will throw the odd falsehood to break a scent trail, or re reg. I honestly find the reaction to some ****e about retirement year to be horribly weird.

Yeah, but I think you might be taking it more seriously than the people who are reacting to it? Obviously can't say for sure. I think people are mostly having a laugh. A few comments are a bit mean spirited I think but most of all people are having a chuckle, I don't think he's really being castigated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gynoid wrote: »
    Oh because I am a weird walter mitty making up **** and playing y'all. Or maybe I am just commenting, you know, on weather near enough to me...
    Your choice.

I'm not following you, weather happens in a broad area, you don't have to give your house address.

If you're paranoid about online stalkers don't mention the location of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

coinop wrote: »
    I disagree. Being the Community Manager of Boards.ie must be the easiest job in the world. All you have to do is nothing - let the people talk. But Dav was determined to restrict all discussion into a tiny window of "approved opinions" that was amenable to advertisers. Which is ironic because his efforts had the exact opposite effect. Boards was over 100,000 euro in the red at one point under his reign. Remember his now infamous "right wing opinions are dangerous" rant?

He also dismantled any semblance of a community by shutting down character driven fora like the Thunderdome while championing other dubious fora like the unsavory Islam one (which is far more offensive to anyone with a sense of decency or cares about human rights). His legacy was hundreds of power posters that were the lifeblood of the site upped and left for Reddit or Twitter for their internet discussion fix. Towards the end I vaguely remember Dav making threads desperately seeking opinions on how to stop the hemorrhaging of users but it was too little, too late and he was shown the door.
    Wasn't pushed about him either but obviously he had to answer to advertisers (you make it seem like he had a choice in that regard), Talk To clients, Daft, Adverts, TheJournal.ie - it's hardly that easy a job. I got the distinct impression too that he quit rather than was sacked.
    Why wasn't he getting this abuse while he was online?
    Well you're not permitted. Although people did regularly tell him he's grumpy.

I don't care if he spoofed stuff but I found him quite hostile at times and no craic - couldn't take even a mild slagging. I still hope he comes back though. He definitely wasn't the worst.

Good on him too for sending that pm to someone that was in a car accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Zackly. I'm swinging on my office chair here having a read and a swig of my Butlers hot choc.

Same. Wish I was swinging from the chandlier swigging on a can but reading this thread will suffice. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'll miss him for the sheer volume of posts he contributed. I only know him from here but can't say I cared for him, seems like he was more helpful and personable on other forums.

A lot of backseat modding, could be very condescending and got real sets on some posters and would engage with way too much and in a really repetitive way.

A LOT of how he presented himself was to do with his downright smugness about his retirement and how comfortable it was. Like gynoid says fudging a few details here and there is understandable and actually prudent. It could have been easily explained away, he was well able to fight his corner like. It's the account closure and the deleted post that makes me think he was making things up wholesale rather than tweaking or exaggerating.

I should know because I'm actually a criminal psychologist, so is my daughter. I had her when I was 15 but I made it work without taking anything from anyone so I'm not listening to any excuses from any feckless dolehounds. We live in France now. My husband is a pilot

Gas.

In all seriousness though it's an interesting psychological exercise.

I think trolling and online personas are a bit like comedy characters, in that they may represent what the person think someone who is miserable or horrible acts like. Or someone who is retired and happy might do these types of things day to day.

There is obvious joke accounts and I'm fairly sure I can work out what they do/are by what they mock or talk about.

Steve Coogan is notoriously liberal and left leaning and yet his character Alan Partridge is the polar opposite. It's like he exercises demons with comedy.

Same. Wish I was swinging from the chandlier swigging on a can but reading this thread will suffice. For now.

Sure lookit. How many hours left till you can achieve your goal? I'll be able to do it from 7pm but replace chandelier with lampshade.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, but I think you might be taking it more seriously than the people who are reacting to it? Obviously can't say for sure. I think people are mostly having a laugh. A few comments are a bit mean spirited I think but most of all people are having a chuckle, I don't think he's really being castigated at all.
    Exactly! If we knew why the "outing" post was deleted we wouldn't pass much comment either way, only acknowledge he'd left.

Did he request it be deleted? He did often drag up other people's post to show inconsistencies so it's definitely allowed.

It adds an aura of mystique to the whole thing.

Exactly! If we knew why the "outing" post was deleted we wouldn't pass much comment either way, only acknowledge he'd left.

Did he request it be deleted? He did often drag up other people's post to show inconsistencies so it's definitely allowed.

It adds an aura of mystique to the whole thing.

Can you just request a post be “deleted” like that though? I mean, I’ve seen people dig up posts from other member’s to use against them and nothing came of it.

The “speed” at which it happened was also pretty impressive. I’ve reported one post, in my early days on the site, after being “accused” of being other posters. Nothing came of it so I never bothered again.

Maybe he had a “direct line” to the mods on this site?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Can you just request a post be “deleted” like that though? I mean, I’ve seen people dig up posts from other member’s to use against them and nothing came of it.

The “speed” at which it happened was also pretty impressive. I’ve reported one post, in my early days on the site, after being “accused” of being other posters. Nothing came of it so I never bothered again.

I thought you could delete your own posts, or is that just edit :confused:

I don't know, Emmet, but I fully intend for "one" of you to find out.

Put it all to "bed", if you will.

Just tried there, if you go to edit, there is a delete option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Only ones from the last 48 hours.

• Advertisement

It was someone else's post that was deleted though. No reason for that poster to delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

all, can everyone have respect towards past & current members.

It is not on to abuse anyone.

Posts have been deleted that are way below a level suitable, even for AH

And can we end chat of what has or may have been dddeleted

This wasn’t his own “post” though. Someone else posted linking a post of his where he contradicted his recent assertion of being “retired” for 22 years.

That seems to have been the reason for him leaving the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think that's only for a certain amount of time, 48 hours maybe. Go back to your old posts, there won't be an edit button.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Apologies, T. I posted that while not having seen your warning.

Could you please clarify whether it’s within the “rules” of the site to link to historic posts of other members?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Whatever happened to starbelgrade, usually first on every thread with a snappy joke, must have had a million thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Srameen’s account closure will henceforth be known as the “Night of the Twitching Curtains.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

How is this below AH levels? No abuse, no being a dick, just fact.

"Hardly abuse. I didn't comment on him because why would you bother. Then he got royally caught out and scarpered, making himself the talk of the town, so to speak."

Graces7 wrote: »
    You can delete your own posts. Just press EDIT and that feature is there. There used to be a time limit on that but not sure if that is still so. I have done it when my post replicates another. etc

I tried, there does appear to be a time limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

So why run off then?

Calm down, Miss Marple

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement