Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hammer89 wrote: »
    This entire thread is full of liars. The only honest ones are the smokers.
    Being honest about your own anti-social behaviour isn't a great virtue to be shouting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Being honest about your own anti-social behaviour isn't a great virtue to be shouting about.

It's better than lying and saying you wouldn't engage in the same 'anti-social behaviour' if you were a smoker.

If 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered each year then billions of people are complicit in it. Those numbers should be staggering enough to make you ask yourself why you'd be any different. Do you have stronger principles than billions of others or are you merely untested because you don't smoke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

It's better than lying and saying you wouldn't engage in the same 'anti-social behaviour' if you were a smoker.

If 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered each year then billions of people are complicit in it. Those numbers should be staggering enough to make you ask yourself why you'd be any different. Do you have stronger principles than billions of others or are you merely untested because you don't smoke?

Again, just because you've decided others are lying doesn't make it fact.

Billions of people are an exaggeration, best estimates are within in the 1 billion range. If you have smoked 20 cigarettes a day for the past 30 years, you would have littered 219,000 toxic butts on the ground in that time. Throwing something on the ground 219,000 times without ever doing something better about it is shocking.

That number should be staggering enough to ask yourself why you can't do anything different. Estimates are that about 75% of all smokers litter their butts, making it the most littered item on earth. So first of all, 25% of people who smoke wouldn't actually litter them. 25% of smokers have stronger principles than you. If 25% can manage to dispose of them properly, so can you, and so should all the others. Why does the fact that you're in the worst company of people who litter to such a disgusting degree make you feel justified in doing it?

Stateofyou wrote: »
    If you have smoked 20 cigarettes a day for the past 30 years, you would have littered 219,000 toxic butts on the ground in that time. Throwing something on the ground 219,000 times without ever doing something better about it is shocking.

Great you can use a calculator. Now use your brain and work our the fundamental problem with this stupid post. If you can't see it then you're genuinely not fit to discuss this any further I'm afraid.

Great you can use a calculator. Now use your brain and work our the fundamental problem with this stupid post. If you can't see it then you're genuinely not fit to discuss this any further I'm afraid.

It gets worse for you, I'm afraid. Of the estimated 75% of smokers who litter their butts, they are estimated to do so 65% of the time. That means of the 75% of smokers who litter, they still manage to not litter them 35% of the time.

I personally liked the miniature coffin pocket ashtray available for sale another poster suggested; just seems to go best with the general theme.

• Advertisement

He still can't see the glaring error he's made so this is just deflection. "I know. If I bombard him with stats and percentages maybe he'll change the subject" lol. Can anybody else spot it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Hammar and Stateofyou ye were both warned to stop bickering, stop it now or I'll have to card both of ye, final warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's also extremely toxic to wildlife.

It's also great fun having them flicked back into your face while on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He still can't see the glaring error he's made so this is just deflection. "I know. If I bombard him with stats and percentages maybe he'll change the subject" lol. Can anybody else spot it?

I'd be obliged if you detailed the glaring error please!

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd be obliged if you detailed the glaring error please!

I'm not telling him. You can tell him. Read this and tell him what he's overlooked: "If you have smoked 20 cigarettes a day for the past 30 years, you would have littered 219,000 toxic butts on the ground in that time." I think a lot of smokers would spot it very quickly, which reinforces what I said earlier - reading a National Geographic article is not a substitute for actual experience.

• Advertisement

I smoked for approx 20 years, but stopped about 12 years ago.
    When I smoked, I didn't in the car, & I hope I always disposed of my buts correctly, but yea, there were definitely times I threw a butt on the street.

Now, I have a very good plan to stop the dumping of buts on the street, where do i go ? Do I need to patent it? How do i do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Just report offence to local authority littering offence phone number, with vehicle reg number, location, time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

patob wrote: »
    Just report offence to local authority littering offence phone number, with vehicle reg number, location, time.

Haha. Walk past almost any pub and the ground outside and shores are littered with cigarette butts. Litter wardens oblivious, not on radar, couldn't be bothered.

Pub owners should regularly sweep up , but go unchecked and couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Chinasea wrote: »
    Haha. Walk past almost any pub and the ground outside and shores are littered with cigarette butts. Litter wardens oblivious, not on radar, couldn't be bothered.

Pub owners should regularly sweep up , but go unchecked and couldn't be bothered.

Urban myth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What is an Urban myth. Do you mean litter wardens. They are definitely a myth and a farce.

Why would I be different? Because I don't litter.

The better question is why you'd be different from most decent people?
    Chinasea wrote: »

I've reported businesses who have their staff smoking outside dropping butts and pubs too. The litter warden has acted on those cases successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Digging? I've been consistently making valid points throughout this entire fiasco.

You've been consistently talking through your arse.

Why would I be different? Because I don't litter.

You also don't smoke Andrew. Your moral compass is only tested in familiar territory, but it's obviously untested in situations and circumstances that you have no experience in.

Would you walk in the pissing rain to find a bin for a cigarette butt? You don't know. You don't know whether in that moment you'd sacrifice your stance on littering for the convenience of flicking away your smoke end.

You'll probably say that you'd use your portable ashtray, but you wouldn't because you wouldn't have one unless you were previously in a position where you needed one, where you had to illegally discard a cigarette first, at which point your morals have flown out the window like, ironically, your man's cigarette butt and it's easier to just keep doing it. You wouldn't have one before the fact, much like how a dog owner doesn't go out and buy a muzzle before knowing their madra is capable of biting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Was driving home today and driver in front threw lit butt onto roof of car which then went onto my windscreen. Was behind them almost all the way home and they were chronic slow, I was getting p1ssed towards the end because I realised why he was slow, because he was smoking cigarette after cigarette. Not a road to overtake either. Seriously contemplated using the dash cam footage to report but it's too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Your moral compass is only tested in familiar territory,

While your moral compass has been tested... It needs recalibrating.

• Advertisement

You also don't smoke Andrew. Your moral compass is only tested in familiar territory, but it's obviously untested in situations and circumstances that you have no experience in.

Would you walk in the pissing rain to find a bin for a cigarette butt? You don't know. You don't know whether in that moment you'd sacrifice your stance on littering for the convenience of flicking away your smoke end.

You'll probably say that you'd use your portable ashtray, but you wouldn't because you wouldn't have one unless you were previously in a position where you needed one, where you had to illegally discard a cigarette first, at which point your morals have flown out the window like, ironically, your man's cigarette butt and it's easier to just keep doing it. You wouldn't have one before the fact, much like how a dog owner doesn't go out and buy a muzzle before knowing their madra is capable of biting someone.
    Morals are morals. Standards are standards

Ethics are what you do when no-one is watching.

Please stop littering.

Morals are morals. Standards are standards

Ethics are what you do when no-one is watching.

Please stop littering.

I don't agree. I think context is very important when judging somebody's morals, standards or ethics.

I also think you're setting a dangerous precedent here because if morals were simply morals, and standards were simply standards irrespective of context, wouldn't you have to have equal levels of contempt for a man who drops a bit of chewing gum on the path as another man who dumps a 50-inch plasma screen on the same path?

If context isn't relevant then both examples are identical to one another, just because they fall under 'littering', even though obviously they're wildly different and one is far worse than the other.

While your moral compass has been tested... It needs recalibrating.

Says the man who questioned the job my parents did at raising me just because he disagreed with something I wrote. What a horrible and stupid angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just an update on how having an ashtray ( coffee cup) in my car is going. Fcucking car stinks of fags. Rotten ! Next stop is the pharmacy for Nicorette.

I don't agree. I think context is very important when judging somebody's morals, standards or ethics.

I also think you're setting a dangerous precedent here because if morals were simply morals, and standards were simply standards irrespective of context, wouldn't you have to have equal levels of contempt for a man who drops a bit of chewing gum on the path as another man who dumps a 50-inch plasma screen on the same path?

If context isn't relevant then both examples are identical to one another, just because they fall under 'littering', even though obviously they're wildly different and one is far worse than the other.
    Except it's not 'a bit of chewing gum'. It is your repeated and ongoing practice of continuing to drop cigarette butts on the ground litter, particularly now that you know they contain plastic that takes years to biodegrade.

That's the problem. If you had a scrap of decency, you would stop digging this hole for yourself and stop littering.

Except it's not 'a bit of chewing gum'. It is your repeated and ongoing practice of continuing to drop cigarette butts on the ground litter, particularly now that you know they contain plastic that takes years to biodegrade.

That's the problem. If you had a scrap of decency, you would stop digging this hole for yourself and stop littering.

I haven't littered a single cigarette butt since discovering they contain plastic. It's nothing to do with the plastic; it's because I do it occasionally - as I said a million times - and only when it's convenient, when I don't have to walk to find a bin.

Take my word for it, you wouldn't either. I don't want to keep going over this but you have to understand the very simple principle that you don't smoke and therefore you don't know what you would do with a cigarette butt if you had nowhere to put it. You can only speak hypothetically which isn't very concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cjmc wrote: »
    Just an update on how having an ashtray ( coffee cup) in my car is going. Fcucking car stinks of fags. Rotten !

Just throw them out the window?

I haven't littered a single cigarette butt since discovering they contain plastic. It's nothing to do with the plastic; it's because I do it occasionally - as I said a million times - and only when it's convenient, when I don't have to walk to find a bin.

Take my word for it, you wouldn't either. I don't want to keep going over this but you have to understand the very simple principle that you don't smoke and therefore you don't know what you would do with a cigarette butt if you had nowhere to put it. You can only speak hypothetically which isn't very concrete.

I'd find a bin for it. That's not hypothetical. That's based on a lifetime of experience of using bins - tissues, sweet wrappers, travel tickets, food wrappers, whatever. I find a bin. It's what most decent people do.

Good to hear that you've stopped littering. Please keep it up. Littering is anti-social behaviour. Convenience is no excuse.

• Advertisement

I'd find a bin for it. That's not hypothetical. That's based on a lifetime of experience of using bins - tissues, sweet wrappers, travel tickets, food wrappers, whatever. I find a bin. It's what most decent people do.

If travel tickets started to smell like sh*t after you're finished with them, like cigarette butts do, then you probably wouldn't carry one around in your pocket or your wallet until you find a bin in my opinion. I think you'd be tempted to discard it by whatever means necessary if a bin wasn't available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement