Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

daddy pig wrote: »
    It's not a provincial back and forth - we have talked about Munster and Munster only. I have failed to see any mention of Connacht, Leinster or Ulster.

Do not make it out that the Munster group was the hardest group in the competition when it wasn't. Munster were never in the running to make it out of the group - Racing qualified comfortably and Saracens made it out with a B team after throwing 2 games.

The criteria was not which pool was the hardest to win - that privilege belonged to Pool 3 where two teams won 5 games so Racing having an away QF doesn't change the fact they strolled into the quarter finals without any threat of elimination.

That nonsense doesn’t even warrant a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ireland v Scotland: Jordan Larmour; Andrew Conway, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: Dave Kilcoyne, Ronan Kelleher, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Peter O'Mahony, John Cooney, Robbie Henshaw, Ross Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

bit surprised with Herring, in one of the recent Ulster games can't remember which on the Lineout was a shambles in the first half, it got sorted in the 2nd half.

the rest of the team is as expected, I didn't really think murray would be left out.

typhoony wrote: »
    bit surprised with Herring, in one of the recent Ulster games can't remember which on the Lineout was a shambles in the first half, it got sorted in the 2nd half.

Most Ulster games this season to be honest, lineout has been woeful. But I don't think that's primarily down to Herring.

Toner and POm on the bench shows to me a lack of confidence in our lineout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm less enthused about the actual lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I really like that backline, looking forward to seeing it in action. I hope Cooney gets more than a token few mins.

"Build a score and hold onto it", the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The most interesting thing to say is that none of the journos got it right (I don't think).

Sure look, it's a grand team, reasonably progressive, happy enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not too sold on Henshaw covering the whole back 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Big thumbs up with the starting XV. The bench a little less so. I'd have had Addison ahead of Henshaw for the 23 shirt and we wont get much impact from Toner or POM. A bit of a fallback in terms of security maybe, but we shouldn't need that nor should we be thinking that way. In reality though, other than those 3 selections this a good squad.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not too sold on Henshaw covering the whole back 5.

In the case that one of the back three get injured I'd say he'll go to fullback and they'll shift Larmour to the wing.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Big thumbs up with the starting XV. The bench a little less so. I'd have had Addison ahead of Henshaw for the 23 shirt and we wont get much impact from Toner or POM. A bit of a fallback in terms of security maybe, but we shouldn't need that nor should we be thinking that way. In reality though, other than those 3 selections this a good squad.

Yeah, hard to argue with the starting team. If they go well I think we might see some more adventurous selections on the bench next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

Not particularly impressed with Toner on the bench, would have preferred Deegan

In the case that one of the back three get injured I'd say he'll go to fullback and they'll shift Larmour to the wing.

Can't really see what else they would do, but doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it? His one game at 15 in the last few years was not exactly a roaring success. Seems an odd call over Addison (or even Earls to be honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I hear Cooney has been injured and only yesterday took part in his first contact training session. So that probably made the decision easier.

Aki ahead of Henshaw is an interesting one and not predicted by many of the media "experts"

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

I suspect there is still uncertainty about Larmour.

If not fully-fit in time, Addison will slot straight in at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Little bit conservative but he he's showing progression at least.

Welcome change in the backrow - think it will free up a few more ball carriers - all 3 can carry well.

Conways been knocking at the door of a 6 nations start its a chance for him to put down a big marker and claim the position as his own - is Earls injured or dropped?

Bundee to add a bit of ballast in the backline - I had a feeling Farrell would go for big ball carriers in the team and this seems to back that up.

redmca2 wrote: »

......Toner's a second row. They were never competing for the 19 shirt, unless you're saying POM would be second row cover....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The choice was POM or Deegan. Neither of them could properly cover 2nd row at international level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Happy enough with that team - I'd have Cooney in for Murray, Kelleher in for Herring (though match fitness may be an issue), but not a bad team.

More important than selection will be our attacking intent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, hard to argue with the starting team. If they go well I think we might see some more adventurous selections on the bench next time out.

My only concern with the starting XV is the line out. Herring and Henderson have been the central figures in a badly malfunctioning Ulster line out. Now they're central figures in the Irish line out.

My only concern with the starting XV is the line out. Herring and Henderson have been the central figures in a badly malfunctioning Ulster line out. Now they're central figures in the Irish line out.

Probably why Toner and POM are there alright. Hopefully if the lineout goes ok we can look at maybe Dillane and Deegan instead.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Granny15 wrote: »

Bundee to add a bit of ballast in the backline - I had a feeling Farrell would go for big ball carriers in the team and this seems to back that up.

What are you on about??

Aki is the literally the smallest of a choice of Henshaw, Farrell or Mc Closky.
    Each of the others would have offered at least as strong a ball carry option.

Its not at all unusual to have a 12 that can truck it up hard to get front foot, you make it sound like its some kind of new departure.

Ryan calls not Hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If we get to be disappointed about players getting picked over players in a different position then I'm disappointed with Toner on the bench. Would have preferred Luke McGrath :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Only 2 players different from starting same game last year. Best and POM, so really 1 different with Best retired. https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1222151447485337600?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Eod100 wrote: »
    Only 2 players different from starting same game last year. Best and POM, so really 1 different with Best retired. https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1222151447485337600?s=19

It's versus the RWC team but that overlooks injuries, for Earls and Kearney for example. There's a decent amount of change in the team, imo, so that's a bit of a misleading stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'd like to see him get more time at 15. It might even help him stay fit if he's not hitting such heavy traffic all the time. He was great there when he was younger.

I think the selection is pretty solid to be honest. POM and Toner may not be the most obvious impact players but they're a know quantity and are both hard workers. Now there's a case for an either/or selection and going with Dilanne instead of Toner. That way we'd have one new back row and one relatively new second row. Still though, for Farrell's first team I think it's pretty good.

And again, we have a very young Kelleher getting his first cap. May as well make life easy on the guy.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    It's versus the RWC team but that overlooks injuries, for Earls and Kearney for example. There's a decent amount of change in the team, imo, so that's a bit of a misleading stat.

Also, lest it be forgotten, Ireland were actually pretty good against Scotland in the RWC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement