Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Almost every Healer that isn't me drives me insane. If you think 2 buttons for DPS is boring, wait until you're healed by someone who doesn't even press them - just stands there spewing Cure 24/7.

Had worse yesterday in The Twinning. A healer who would only DPS. Threw the odd heal on the tank and completely ignored DPS and even himself a number of times to where boss room-wide aoe killed him. Absolutely amazing.
    Wiped three times in a row on Zaghnal, once on the way towards him and twice again after. Made my blood boil. I didn't want to be that ragey player but damn I was close.

Onto more important matters. I started levelling my crafters. I'm in no huge rush so I'm doing them all together when I have downtime and yes.. I expect it take take quite a while.
    Problem is - I ran out of leves. What's the best way to continue? I'll be doing HQ GC hand ins but is it just spam craft after that cause that's gonna get expensive? Although I'm mostly collecting mats myself too.
    Most of them are 20+ with a few just under. Gatherers are all 25+.

Cheers RopeDrink.

Can't do anything Crystarium related yet I think. Not high enough but note taken for the other things. HQ items especially. Nice one.

I find fishing quite easy... but yea gets tedious after a while. Culinarian is a whole different ballgame. Having to craft 50 different items to get to the one you want takes forever.

Had some great fun this evening. Got into my first hunt train which was nice. Great for the VIII Materia. Although holy grapical hell. Had to find a macro to kill off everyone elses spell visuals as my frames just plummeted :pac:

Also got my WHM to level 44. Gotta admit, since the 38 dungeon Cutters Cry, I'm actually having to heal now. Tanks are taking a lot more damage. Some well geared. Some not so much but regardless, I'm having to actively heal.
    I like it. Throwing in DPS whenever I can ofc but when you get those tanks pulling have the dungeon, it's pretty hard. Loving that panic though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm seriously struggling to get through the post ARR content tbh. There are 100 or so quests, of which i have finished the first 40, and there is as much backtracking as there was in the early leveling, without the side quests to keep those areas at least partly busy. So it's travel for a while, literally click one thing, then go back...100 or so times.

I'll get through it, but god damn they designed this stuff badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm seriously struggling to get through the post ARR content tbh. There are 100 or so quests, of which i have finished the first 40, and there is as much backtracking as there was in the early leveling, without the side quests to keep those areas at least partly busy. So it's travel for a while, literally click one thing, then go back...100 or so times.

I just finished the titan quests lol, really poor story telling. Was great to fight titan though lol.

• Advertisement

Some of those back and forth nonsense is make or break for a lot of people alright.
    I'd imagine it has caused a lot of sub loss over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

At the time it was more manageable, you were getting it drip feed over a long period. But now it is surely tedious. They do need to rationalise early game progression.

Onto the 2.5 quests now, so only 24 more to go till the first expansion. Almost there...though i do have to queue up for some hard mode dungeons before i can do the next part.

Gonna start levelling up a Ninja as well. Love the look of their gear.

55 minutes and counting in the queue, trying to get the extreme versions of Shiva and Leviathan done. Can't even progress with the story while i wait, as it's locked behind these two dungeons. **** sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I can't remember any Extreme ever blocking the MSQ... Unless you mean the normal Trial.

• Advertisement

There are no extremes in MSQ. Some Hard modes maybe but 99% certain there are no extremes.

The dungeons are not bad, the primal fights are also quite good and all relatively easy.

Titan made me laugh lol, built like a brick****house.

Bah, i got mixed up with the MSQ asking for some hard mode runs and another quest that asked for the extreme versions. Waste of a few hours yesterday i guess, even if Ramuh on extreme was fun (Shiva was a bitch which we couldn't finish).

Finished the post ARR content tonight. It actually ended pretty well, so looking forward to seeing how it turns out now.

Yeah, been trying to do all the blue quests as i was doing the post ARR content. Will get the new classes this evening (Dark Knight and Machinist iirc), and give them a go. I'm currently around 54 with both my Dragoon and Samurai, and can't figure out which one i prefer. Do want to give a ranged class a go, so might try the Red Mage. Didn't realise the Archer turned into Bard at lvl30, so might give that a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Kiith wrote: »

It should be said with the recent live letter that they plan on streamlining this the whole ARR MSQ was made back in the days after the originals failure and alot of it while at the time was good content for filling the time fair bits of it are essentially excess fetch quests for the sake of it with no contribution to the story. Hell the fact "Pray return to the waking sands" has become such a meme that they even added a fate titled "Pray DESTROY the waking sands" and the fact so many have said how tedious this has become has me guessing they'll either take out the needless fetch quests with no contribution and make em side quests or at least adjust it that you don't need to return to the waking sands until you have to to speed up time. The Titan quest is infamous for being so slow not to mention some of the content from 2.1~2.3 (2.4 onwards picks up things as it leads into Heavensward).

I used to really enjoy Bard, but the SHB changes gutted it as far as I'm concerned. It feels clunky now and the reduction of support-skills across the board just makes it feel weird. Ironically, I levelled a MCH to 80 for the Phys-Ranged Role Quest (so I could unlock the final hidden quest for completing all role-quests) and had fun with that despite it having similar issues to Bard. However, MCH is a very active/spammy one where you'll spend most of your time mashing Overheated oGCDs until your fingers bleed, which some people will like and others will not. It has some delicious burst-windows for making mobs look/feel like soggy tissue paper, but the sustained DPS overall (much like before) marks them as some of the lowest in the game due to being ranged-supporters, even though that was reduced.

If you asked me about DRG/SAM, I'd just go Dragoon. Classic case of solid DPS with some buffs vs the renowned 'greedy DPS', though you should obviously just go for whichever you find the most fun. Of course, nothing stopping you from levelling them all, so you shouldn't feel like you HAVE to decide -- it just means that levelling simultaneously makes it awkward to fully equip both with tome-gear as soon as you level-cap them, so you can buy gear for one but will probably have to grind for the other.

I had played Bard to 60 which was my first and only happened after ShB released. I had really enjoyed leveling on it. Then they made the changes and I didn't enjoy it at all. The removal of the assassination skills left me with too much downtime and it simply felt boring to me.
    It might improve later but I didn't get any further with it. Swapped to Dancer and it was much for fun to play. Just a shame the DPS is kinda poop with it :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Just back from Gamescom. Spent a lot of time in the FFXIV area. Won myself a "I beat titania" t shirt :pac:

Was good craic doing an 8 man alongside actual people and having the tank explain mechanics to the raid (I haven't gotten to this part of Shadowbringers yet). They were looking for DPS to complete their party so I got to skip a mighty queue. Was like party finder IRL.

Yoshi P showed up as well and did a Q&A on a bunch of lore stuff that I didn't really understand. The sound was pretty bad and we couldn't hear the answers unfortunately but it was cool to see him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

finally bite the bullet and started, so made a new cat dude man bear thing.

Is crafting worth doing ? or does it just become irrelevant quickly for making armor or weapons?

edit* also how do i wear an outfit cosmetically, i got some cool trench coat thing with my purchase of the complete package.

some random person came up to me and gave me 50k a pet a bunch of xp food :D

• Advertisement

thanks rope, been doing a bit of everything got my paly to 40. selling a fair bit of matt's on the market. But my god this main quest is killing me :( i hope the first xpack questing is more interesting.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    some random person came up to me and gave me 50k a pet a bunch of xp food :D

I do this for sprouts the odd time, although I give em 100k :D

Lone Stone wrote: »
    thanks rope, been doing a bit of everything got my paly to 40. selling a fair bit of matt's on the market. But my god this main quest is killing me :( i hope the first xpack questing is more interesting.

Yeah main quest is acknowledged to be a massive drag, and the devs are actively working to refine it (likely in advance of a launch on XBox). Stick with it, the stories get better as you go, and ShadowBringers rates as one of the best games (as such) I've ever played through.

I am chewing on Ruby Ex, the DPS checks seem fairly lenient cause we got to 4% of enrage for phase 1 with half the team getting killed and resurrection sickness everywhere. Will be running ES5 tonight for first time which I guess won't be so gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 simplysophia

Hi everyone!

I'm a total newbie to the forum but I've been playing the game for a couple of years already.

I was wondering if there's any Irish server or at least a FC.

Looking forward to getting to know you all =)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was wondering if there's any Irish server or at least a FC.

Would like to know this too.

Just started playing a few weeks back, only a lvl33 pally so far so still finding my feet in the game but it's good fun so far. Would be nice if there were any fellow boardsies out there still playing. :)

Tbh i think the concept of an Irish FC or whatever is dead, and not something I've ever seen in game. Given the way the servers work, the possibility of doing it is definitely there, but part of the fun of an MMO is really meeting and playing with other people. My memory from way back in WOw is that trying to set up a country specific guild of FC can also result in drama.

If you are looking for an FC, check out the FFXIV recruitment discord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 simplysophia

Yeah, I guess you are right about the drama haha

Yeah I'm in a FC savage static (they say don't join a static in your FC, oops). It was pretty chill for a while but our off tank is really struggling with the ES5 add mechanic and one of our DPS who does callouts is really getting sick of it..

Tbh in the future I don't think I will do any sort of regular savage stuff and just try that stuff occasionally on PF, where it is easier to walk away from the game and not feel like you're leaving people in the lurch. I'm the healer in our group and have just gotten into the swing of savage healing so it's a harder role to replace (especially as people really hate what they did with healing in ShB)

FWIW I think I'm the only Irish person on my FC, it's mostly UK/French/Dutch/some German. Which is fine.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, doing an AMA / FFXIV stream today - WHM main but mostly grinding out casual stuff while doing the relic weapon quest. If you're looking to get into it and want to ask questions (or already into it and just want to chat to a fellow player), feel free to pop in for a chat! It's a small but positive stream where everyone is welcome. I'd do savage if I wasn't loyal to an otherwise dead FC (and I haven't the patience for DF shenanigans, sadly).

https://www.twitch.tv/ropedrink

I held off on SHB for quite a while because OBS seems to hate FFXIV - have to use Window Mode (which drops FPS x 30 frames, driving me nuts, but will still be fun).

Can't wait to see what the next expansion brings :)

How did it go?

Advertisement