Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ha glad you didnt take SB or my advice.. to hell with that. Do your own thing and just smash it! Well done!

Did every Boardsie get a PB this weekend?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Ha glad you didnt take SB or my advice.. to hell with that. Do your own thing and just smash it! Well done!

Did every Boardsie get a PB this weekend?! :confused:

Ha, to be fair I took both of your advice on board. Similar to what you replied to swashbuckler, the reason I have this log is to get input. When it comes to planning for a race, I'm as raw as steak tartare. I may look at getting a coach route in time.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    That's a super run and a great report. Hope the childcare issue gets sorted for you soon, must be stressful enough at times.

Many thanks V

Super stuff D, i am absolutely thrilled for you! That's a brilliant race & report :)

Falling asleep & missing the race would have easily topped any of the stupid things i have done ;)

Fair play juggling it all, it's defo not easy! Can't wait to see what else you can do :D

Thanks..Dont worry there are plenty more chances for us to do some stupid things pre race ha

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191
    Some interesting stuff in there with specific marathon based sessions. Don't see why you wouldn't be aiming for that for your next DCM.

Are you going to follow a specific marathon plan for Cork/Dublin? Really think you could go to another level with a more advanced marathon plan (once you get the childminding sorted of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Treviso wrote: »
    Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191...

No pressure like :D

Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191
    Some interesting stuff in there with specific marathon based sessions. Don't see why you wouldn't be aiming for that for your next DCM.

Are you going to follow a specific marathon plan for Cork/Dublin? Really think you could go to another level with a more advanced marathon plan (once you get the childminding sorted of course)

I had a feeling before I had even clicked that thread link that it was sub 3 :). You briefly had my heart rate higher then my last mile yesterday :eek:. The running calculator is spitting out some interesting times alright based on my last 2 races as I'm sure it did also after your 5k. Was it P+D 55 mile plan you did for DCM last year over 18 weeks? Thinking out loud, I'm considering that or possibly even higher mileage version if possible for Dublin. For Cork, with possible time restrictions, I will look to do a version of the grads marathon plan I think, with adding in some marathon pace stuff on the long runs.
    No pressure like :D

I know, Right :D

I had a feeling before I had even clicked that thread link that it was sub 3 :). You briefly had my heart rate higher then my last mile yesterday :eek:. The running calculator is spitting out some interesting times alright based on my last 2 races as I'm sure it did also after your 5k. Was it P+D 55 mile plan you did for DCM last year over 18 weeks? Thinking out loud, I'm considering that or possibly even higher mileage version if possible for Dublin. For Cork, with possible time restrictions, I will look to do a version of the grads marathon plan I think, with adding in some marathon pace stuff on the long runs.

Yea it was the P&D 55 mile version which I found great tbh. There is also a 70+ plan. Maybe you could do the 55 for the Cork marathon and try the 70 mile plus for Dublin. I can share versions of both with you if you want

There's a load of other plans in this forum so have a look around. Here is shotgun's thread on the Hanson method, with the plan on post 3 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110230843

But the grads plan is certainly suiting you so you could stick to that too. I'm no expert but just offering you different options :cool:

Yea it was the P&D 55 mile version which I found great tbh. There is also a 70+ plan. Maybe you could do the 55 for the Cork marathon and try the 70 mile plus for Dublin. I can share versions of both with you if you want

There's a load of other plans in this forum so have a look around. Here is shotgun's thread on the Hanson method, with the plan on post 3 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110230843

But the grads plan is certainly suiting you so you could stick to that too. I'm no expert but just offering you different options :cool:

Cheers for pointers there. If you could share those two versions that would be ideal to review. PM me even. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the PBs (I would defo count the 5k one!) Amazing splits, that 5k alone is brilliant.

I fully agree with T, sub 3 marathon has to be your target for later in the year with a good block of training.

Congrats on the PBs (I would defo count the 5k one!) Amazing splits, that 5k alone is brilliant.

I fully agree with T, sub 3 marathon has to be your target for later in the year with a good block of training.

Thanks a lot on your comments in your first sentence there. I'm afraid to comment on your 2nd one :)

Thanks a lot on your comments in your first sentence there. I'm afraid to comment on your 2nd one :)

Sub 2.55 then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cracking race there D!

A well deserved result too following some very nice training over the last while. Maintain that consistency and the results will continue to follow.

After reading some of the excellent race reports over the weekend, I got a bit of FOMO there yesterday. I wanted to race this weekend but left it too late for Trim and couldn't justify the trip to Dungarvan at the time.

I haven't signed up for many races bar Great Ireland Run and Cork Marathon in the next few months. I'm eagerly waiting for Dublin race series entries to open to add all these to my list, bar the new 4 miler in Swords. That one falls just a week ahead of Cork Marathon, so will probably sit out that one me thinks.
    Ideally, I would like to run a 10k prior to a half but found a space to fit in Bohermeen half next month so signed up last night. My Cork training will kick off just a couple of weeks prior to that, so just need to do a bit of tailoring on plan to gets some half marathon paced miles in leading up to it.

Week just gone was a bit of a come down after Raheny, but was happy to get 50+ miles in all the same.

Monday - Easy hour 6.84 miles @8.53mins
    Tuesday- Double runmute
    AM run - 6.76 progression run @8.22. Some strange, very high HR readings in this, which were not really adding up to how I ran or effort I was putting in. I only use the watch for Heart Rate and this happens on the odd occasions but may get a chest strap going forward. I don't usually pay massive attention to Heart Rate unless its spitting out strange readings like this. Usually a reboot sorts it out.
    PM run - 6.78 Miles at approx 8.50 Mins pace. Turned off the HR sensor for this as didn't want it to distract me. This run was broken into two on Strava due to me to forgetting to resume my Garmin for ten mins or so after been stopped at traffic lights. I rarely look at my watch during commutes as generally run by feel so can easily miss these things.(did it again this morning :eek:)

Wednesday - 6.02 Miles @7.30mins. Mixed it up a bit here. Its rare I get to run in the daylight at the minute, so when i do, I want to add some pace. 10 mins each @7.25,6.55 and 6.25 with most of it on grass in Marlay park.
    Thursday - 4.06 Miles @9.05 - Just did a nice recovery lap of the local block in the evening/night.
    Friday - 6.75 miles @8.32 - Easy enough hour
    Saturday - 15miles @8.10.. I wasn't going to get the chance to run on Sunday, certainly not a long one anyway so did this one on Saturday. Problem was that I was working Saturday and wanted a few drinks in the evening. The only time slot left then was before work. I left just after 5.30am and turned it into a scenic runmute. When I'm out this early especially at the weekend, I find I almost forget what time of day it is, or what else is going on in the world. I was listening to the previous Sunday papers review from off the Ball. Ryle Nugent and Brian Kerr were on with Joe Molloy. Two Dubs, but very contrasting types of backgrounds made it a interesting listen, with their different take on topics.
    Anyway I was so caught up in at at one stage that I ended up running down the sea path at Blackrock village. In my mind i was going to run on that for a couple of miles taking in the sea air. It wasn't until I was about 200 yards in after going over the darts tracks, that i noticed it was still pitch dark and there was no lighting. The further I was going the less I could see more then 6 feet in front of me. I almost ran into the rocks before i turned back with my tail between my legs.
    Mixed up the paces a bit to add some faster miles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

52 miles for week
    216 miles for Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Nice week!

I shall see you in Bohermeen:D

• Advertisement

Nice week!

I shall see you in Bohermeen:D

Thanks yeh, I'm looking forward to that now. Might join ya for warmup there before if ya'll have me :)

Thanks yeh, I'm looking forward to that now. Might join ya for warmup there before if ya'll have me :)

Yeah that would be great, I will leave way earlier than i should just incase i get lost...not that it would be like me ;)

The difference in 24 hrs...
    Yesterday I was buzzing after signing up to a half next month . Thoughts were running through my head of what target time to set myself.
    Today is a massive ball of anger and frustration for me.
    Ive mentioned it just a "couple" of times in previous posts but my right knee is basically my Achilles heel.
    In my 7 mile run home yesterday, my knee gave way as I innocuously stepped off a kerb with about 10 mins left. I stopped,stretched and gingerly started running slow again without much bother. I did a bit of RICE treatment when I went home as more of a precaution then anything else as didnt feel too bad.

Roll on this morning and my knee and surrounding area had all tightened up significantly. I can put weight on it to walk and i have a bit of movement but its limited and squatting is a struggle.
    I know all the streches and have been working the resistance band already but ive no idea when I can run again as of yet. Its very weak at the min. On the bright side, it hasnt swelled up and I can still cycle it seems. I'll be using both the commuting bike and exercise bike to try and limit the fitness loss until i can regain strength in the area. Grrrrrrr

Ah sh*t D, really sorry to hear that! Hopefully you build it back up and it's nothing too serious:(

I'll still keep you in mind for the warm up together in Bohermeen until i hear otherwise;)

Yea sorry to hear that D. Hopefully it'll loosen itself up in the next few days.

This time last week, I thought my injury would keep me out of last Sunday's race it hurt so much when I walked. It's amazing how quickly it healed once I rested it properly. You know your knee better than anyone but maybe rest as much as you can - you won't lose any fitness if you rest it a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah janey, typical timing... although, might be worth rethinking the double runs, and are they runmutes? What sort of weight are you carrying in a bag for those, assuming you have a backpack? Could be affecting gait and therefore the knee...just a thought.
    Hope rest helps it quickly anyway.

Ah janey, typical timing... although, might be worth rethinking the double runs, and are they runmutes? What sort of weight are you carrying in a bag for those, assuming you have a backpack? Could be affecting gait and therefore the knee...just a thought.
    Hope rest helps it quickly anyway.

Thanks

Yes, they are runmutes and the doubles possible affect has crossed my mind too. However, I carry very little weight on these, if any at all sometimes.
    When this happens, I often try to find the catalyst but its never been consistent. For example, it happened getting out of bed once. I'm not great with the muscle names,but I really need to strengthen the quad area in the longer term. Its nowhere near the muscle mass/definition of the other leg.

Ah sh*t D, really sorry to hear that! Hopefully you build it back up and it's nothing too serious:(

I'll still keep you in mind for the warm up together in Bohermeen until i hear otherwise;)

Yeh, i hope I'm just been dramatic but it has been a slow burner previously. The fact it hasnt swelled up like a water melon has given me hope.

Yea sorry to hear that D. Hopefully it'll loosen itself up in the next few days.

This time last week, I thought my injury would keep me out of last Sunday's race it hurt so much when I walked. It's amazing how quickly it healed once I rested it properly. You know your knee better than anyone but maybe rest as much as you can - you won't lose any fitness if you rest it a few days

If I knew it would be a few days or a week or so, i wouldnt be thinking in terms of losing fitness. From experience, I fear it will be more, so doing what I can keeps me in the right frame of mind, if you get me. Your right, having a couple of days of doing nothing can only be beneficial either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed it's nothing serious and you're back on the road quickly.

A 'MEH' 10 days

Mon Feb 3rd - 2 Runmutes
    6.83 @8.24 - bit of a progress run
    6.7 @8.41. As reported above, this is where I hurt my knee

Thurs Feb 6th - 2.13m @9.35
    A complete test into the unknown this one was. I had got on the excerise bike a couple of times the previous days without too much bother, so I wanted to see if i could put "running "weight on the area. I put a heavy duty support on and headed to the local green for laps. It felt ok, although support was restricting and couldn't get a proper feeling of what was going on. I went home and iced, just in case.

Friday Feb 7th - 3.34m @ 8.59
    Downgraded or perhaps upgraded to a lighter duty support and decided to test the local block on paths. It felt a little uneasy at first and I didn't know if i was running correctly with gait etc or was I overly supporting the weak area. I think i was running protectively, as when confidence grew in area, I could feel myself reverting back to a more natural run. Happy enough how it went.

Saturday Feb 8th 4.92 m @approx* 8.40(*gps error threw off strava)
    I was debating holding off until next day, as 3 days on trot when I knew my knee still wasn't close to been right was foolish. I ignored my sensible thoughts of course, but I got away with it and again grew more confidence in knee as run got a bit longer.

I had no major issues after these 3 tester type runs but I know I had some proper strengthing working to do now. It left me with a return of just 23 miles for week, which would be my lowest since start of November after DCM.

I didn't run on the Sunday so not to overdo the knee recovery. That's a blatant lie actually. I didn't run on Sunday due to both the crappy weather and a small part due to me feeling sick also.

Mon 10th Feb - 5.5miles@8.49
    We all do some stupid things from time to time. I should never have done this run. I was feeling worse than the previous day but got it in my head, I could run this off. That would probably be a fair assessment if it was a cold or sniffles etc. This wasn't the case here though, as I was weak all over and stomach was starting to feel dodge. I decided to drop the knee support and barely noticed any knee issue at all until I got a small reminder when I finished. I was struggling from the 2nd mile here and should have called it quits and walked home but I forced myself to complete 5miles despite been utterly drained.

For the rest of Monday and all day Tuesday, I had one of the most violent stomach bugs I ever remember. Lets just say, I hope I never have a falling out with the downstairs jacks as that dude knows too much.

I'm down over 2Kg's in the last couple of days and have gone from a VO2 Max of 59 to 56 in past 10 days.
    I'm starting to feel human again now but it will be a painfully slow recovery over the next couple of weeks with all easy miles with both body and knee been in better places. It will leave Bohermeen in doubt now but if that's the case so be it, as it was not an original target race for me. If I can get to a place where I can run a couple of sessions in the 10 days prior to the race, I would like to have a go. We will see on that one.

God you've had a rough time! Glad to hear you are on the mend now :)

As regards running listen to your body & do what's best for you, it's the only way to build it back up!

Hopefully we will still have that warm up in Bohermeen;)

Hopefully we will still have that warm up in Bohermeen;)
    I do be fairly determined so you can almost count on it

At least the weight loss program is on track D! Sounds like a bad run of luck, but it might not be a bad thing. A few weeks of easy miles might give your knee the break you might not have given it otherwise. I doubt you will lose much of your fitness even if you're just running easy, maybe just not improving at the rapid rate you were. You should be able to give Bohermeen a good lash I say

Feeling a hell of a lot better and more positive then I did for last couple of weeks.

When I posted that last update on Wednesday, I was feeling good enough to go out for a 4 mile run shortly after.
    No issue itself with that jog but I realised later on that day, I was by no means better. I took off the next 2 days to try and fully recover from this dose. The added bonus here was that I was given more enforced rest for my knee as Treviso pointed out above.
    Got myself out then on Saturday morning for a body igniting 11.5 miles. I think the rest followed by a 90 mins plus run was exactly what was needed. Knee held up well and felt the better of it all round. Approx 26 miles for week and 50 miles for the 2 weeks which is about as much as I could get out of the period with my issues. Have to be happy with that. My knee is by no means right but am feeling more comfortable on it the more I tease it back in. I have been giving it plenty of TLC for once.

I will kick into Cork Marathon training from next week following the grads plan or slight variation of it(introducing MP miles as it goes along).
    I am basically finished with base for the time being so this is a bit of a free week for me. Plan is to re introduce runmutes and build mileage again but at same time keeping it easy.

I signed up to all the Dublin race series over the weekend bar the 4 mile as that doesn't suit with taper for Cork. Bohermeen in 3 weeks is the next target and I'm hopeful that I will be in a place to be able to race that, once I keep the recovery disciplined

• Advertisement

Great to hear you're on the mend :D

Mileage has been building back up, so far so good. 43 miles for week as wont be running tomor.
    Monday 7.6 miles @8.4 runmute. Mixed route up a little bit to keep it interesting .
    Tuesday 6.4 miles @7.39 runmute .
    Had no plans to increase pace yet but remembered i had an early meeting on and was tighter for time. Came through this fine
    Wednesday 7.06 miles @8.57 runmute
    Thursday 5.13 miles @ 7.44. Just testing out a bit of pace . 7×2 mins at CV was plan which i suppose is about 6.35/6.4. These started off fine but then got a bit quick but manageable.
    Friday 5.56@9.03. Easy local miles
    Saturday 11.12 miles @8.20
    Mostly easy miles with 4 closer to half marathon pace. Wind made this a tougher effort.

Positives:
    Happy to be building back up.
    Bohermeen looking like a goer at present
    Mainly enjoying the training

Not so positive:
    Knee still not right and feels like could always be an issue
    Heart rate generally higher all week than normal. Prob body still recovering.
    The effing constant wind and rain.

Glad to read all the positives:D

Yes the wind & rain can f@€k off at this stage!!!

Sunday 23rd 3.1miles @9.08 - Ended up doing a recovery 3 mile or so run that evening which added up to a 46 miles week in the end

Monday 6.65 Miles @8.44 - 60 min easy
    1st day of 14 week grads intermediate marathon plan for Cork. Easy runmute

Tuesday 6.51 Miles @8.38 - 60 min easy
    Easy enough runmute again. I will stick as close to plan as possible but will be swapping days within week to suit myself. Plan is to keep session to a Wednesday and long run will alternate between Sat and Sunday depending on my working week.

Wednesday 6.59 miles @7.30 - 10x2mins at CV
    Put in the paces in tinman with both my last 5 mile race and target marathon time. Reckon CV would be about 6.30. Ended up running these reps all faster though so must tie this down better. Wind played a part in that my recovery was almost always against wind with rep wind assisted.

Thursday 3.35 miles @8.56

This is the 20 mins recovery or off day from plan. I will always be running 6 days unless of a race week. Just an easy loosening out loop

Friday 7.59 Miles @8.52 - 60 min easy
    Easy enough runmute. A little longer then 60 mins due to route deviation

Saturday 14.01 Miles @8.35 - 2 hours easy
    Debated waiting until Sunday to do this and incorporate into a longer runmute. Happened to be up very early on Saturday and saw no storm had appeared yet. Tippy toed about house and got myself out and back just as kids were waking. Nice to have the day free then. Wind was picking up towards the end, so much so that water bottle I had stored near the house incase I needed it, had blown off a wall and onto the road.

44.7 miles for week

I may or may not throw in a recovery run this evening depending how I'm feeling and the weather.

I feel in good shape now to have a decent go at Bohermeen next week, assuming it will go ahead. Only ever ran one half in race series last year at 1.32.46. Target is sub 90 but that might be a bit soft in relation to current fitness but sure we will see. Plan will be to start out a 7 min mile pace with the hopes of progressing.

I will do the couple of easy 60 mins Monday and Tuesday followed by usual session on Wednesday. 70 minute progression run on plan for Sunday will be swapped out for race. Thursday - sat will prob just do 2 short recovery runs as a mini taper.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

A bit soft? You have just set the Boards all time sandbagging record!! LMAO

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A bit soft? You have just set the Boards all time sandbagging record!! LMAO

I'll take your comment as a perverse gee up :)
    If you think thats sandbagging, you should see me on a golf course.;)
    In my somewhat flakey defence, I never said by how far sub 90.
    In all seriousness, ive no idea how ill run all these races until I get one under my belt at each distance with a base.

Picking up from my log, what pace you gonna try to go out at on Sunday?

Picking up from my log, what pace you gonna try to go out at on Sunday?

Ill try not to be as political as E so :)

I mentioned starting off a 7 min miles previously but id imagine ill start at around 6.50ish. I like to progress so that would be the plan here too.
    I think i'm in decent shape, although those 2 weeks I suffered with injury and sickness means I dont have as much HMP miles done as i"d like.

It wasnt initially a target race but with all the potential cancellations of marathons, it is now. If knee feels right and im running comfortably at halfway, I'll attack the sh1t out of the 2nd half.

Ill try not to be as political as E so :)

I mentioned starting off a 7 min miles previously but id imagine ill start at around 6.50ish. I like to progress so that would be the plan here too.
    I think i'm in decent shape, although those 2 weeks I suffered with injury and sickness means I dont have as much HMP miles done as i"d like.

It wasnt initially a target race but with all the potential cancellations of marathons, it is now. If knee feels right and im running comfortably at halfway, I'll attack the sh1t out of the 2nd half.

Hang on a minute D i think I answered the question very adequately:) Just like you i mentioned the pace i will start at and also like you i mentioned that once i feel good i too will pick up the pace;)

All this is of course subject to me finding my way haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow D!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D!
    Thanks, hope recovery is coming on well for you.

All the best today D. You are going to smash it.

*Spolier Alert* No mention of COVID19

Monday - 7.16miles @8.36 Easy 60 mins runmute

Tuesday - 6.89miles @8.29 easy 60 mins runmute

Wednesday 6.5miles @7.33 3x8mins at LT
    Enjoyed this run around Marlay park in the calmest weather in weeks. It actually felt like summer as built up a sweat quick enough.

Thursday 3.57miles @9.00 Recovery Lap

Friday - Rest (usual couple of bike commutes)

Saturday - 3.14Miles@9.06 very easy run,
    This was basically just a bit of a skip around Merrion Square. My legs felt really heavy and my GPS stopped working on my Garmin so wasnt the best prep. After a bit of googling, factory reset on the watch got the GPS back. Legs felt much better latter on after a 30 min cycle too.

Sunday
    About 16 miles in total with warmup and cool down

Bohermeen Half

Arrived up in plenty of time and parked up in the mud bath carpark.
    Walked down then to community centre and did a couple of miles warmup on the track with E. I had a feeling then she would run a strong race so delighted all her training paid off and she was flying when I saw her run the last 100 Metres.

At the start, I got myself as far up as the 1.30 train. I managed to pass those balloons somewhere in first mile when it was starting to disperse a bit. Had it in my mind, I would run around a 6.45-6.50 first mile with crowds and was planning something similar for 2nd mile with terrain before I would try and progress. Anyway, first miles ticks in at 6.30 so needed a change of plan.

I decided then to try and run at this pace now as far as halfway and see what happens after that so next 5 miles were consistent,
    6.31, 6.32,6.30,6.29, 6.27

Nice to see the crowds then at the halfway point. It gave me a bit of boost and the 7th mile ticked in at 6.24 and 8th at 6.20. I was feeling confident but now was starting to count down the miles and attempt the maths in my head.
    I had spotted a guy, I'd say I haven't seen in bout 15 years at the start of race. I wasn't 100% sure if it was him but whoever it was he was a fantastic marker for me. He was never more then 100 yards ahead of me for 10 miles.

I cant remember exactly but somewhere in either my 9th or 10th mile, the hail shower blasted down from my right. I couldnt catch a full breath initially as it just seemed to come so quick. I preceded to run the next km or so with my head tucked into the left, taking an occasional glance in front. It was painful as I was isolated at this point. I broke my balls here to try and catch mini group ahead. As soon as i did, it stopped of course and suddenly felt like i was wearing a heavy winter coat now with the weight of my singlet.
    Mile 9 - 6.22
    Mile 10 - 6.27
    Mile 11 - 6.29. Tougest mile on the track this for me as it seems to be such a long drag at late stage,
    After getting through that mile, i pressed the gas to see if anything was there. Mile 12 clocked in at 6.18 and passed my target guy(turns out it was the guy I knew and nice to have a catch up after).
    Legs were been good to me today and let me kick for the last mile, again crowds helped here. Clocked 6.10 for 13th mile and last 0.1 i did in 5.37 for a 8 and a half min PB of 1.24.04
    I was delighted and took me a bit to take it in.

On to Cork Marathon next after Great Ireland run if it goes ahead of course. This has given me a bit of food for thought now on time targets. I strongly resent and dismiss the sandbagger comments. My plan for Cork now is sub 4 :p

Cheers for the mention D but having you there to chat to etc defo helped with the nerves! Hearing you shout at me as i came onto the track for the finish was brilliant motivation knew i could push more so thanks :)

As i said yesterday you are a machine with unbelievable talent but you are not afraid of hard work which shines through! I am thrilled for you & excited to see what lies ahead for you:D

Yeah with yesterday's result a sub 4 should defo be in your reach ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB! Sounds like tough conditions but no bother to ya!

• Advertisement

Absolutely super stuff D, amazing pace all through and great strength in the latter miles.

Sky continues to be the limit for you!

I strongly resent and dismiss the sandbagger comments. My plan for Cork now is sub 4 :p

Are you going to run it twice!?

Congrats D on a magnificent race, superb stuff. Not even a dodgy knee, illness or bad weather could slow you down.

Congrats on the PB! Sounds like tough conditions but no bother to ya!

Thanks very much V.. To be fair the conditions in general were great, bar just a few minutes of sideways hail.

Absolutely super stuff D, amazing pace all through and great strength in the latter miles.

Sky continues to be the limit for you!

Thanks a lot J.. Took a bit of inspiration from your clontarf half performance and report.

Are you going to run it twice!?

Congrats D on a magnificent race, superb stuff. Not even a dodgy knee, illness or bad weather could slow you down.

:) cheers T.. I enjoyed that... bit out of your way but a course i would reccomend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement