Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Do It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sure he can do it this week too! Let's face it he needs the practice:eek:

That changed everything. The only thing I'll be practicing now is the can to mouth reps

Friday 9miles @7.11
    After been notified of the fact the 5k TT was not this week by SB:o, it gave me a bit more freedom to do a few different things over the next few days. I did a half hour of tempo from 6.30-6.50 pace slowly progressing over the first 5 miles. I decided to slowly regress the pace from then onwards to gradually bring the Heart Rate back down. A thoroughly enjoyable run. I would have liked to have stayed out longer but had an early work call I needed to prepare for.
    Saturday 7.25 Miles@8.16
    I wasn't planning to go out at crack of dawn here but one of the kids stirred and it had kept me up then. I had a few at the virtual boozer the night before so this run was hard work. I had planned 10 or 11 miles in my head but was happy to stumble home after around 7 miles. Shower, brekkie, play with kids reenrgised me and I decided to get out again for another recovery half hour just before lunch. That was a world apart and did another 3.18 Miles @8.40
    Sunday - just a Mess

I had a couple of glasses of wine the night before but nothing that should effect me. I had in my mind for a while that i wanted to do a 1mile TT. I did the mile jog up to where I completed my recent 10k and 5k TT's to tackle this. I knew exactly where to start the mile and where I'd finish to level off the elevation. I hadn't banked on a man up there with his 4 dogs loose of the lead and this time of the morn. I hung about a bit to see if he would clear off but after a bit, I gave up and did a jog down to another spot.

For anyone who follows me on strava, I apologise for the state of your feed this morning. I found what I thought might be a good route, I knew the first half would be slightly downhill followed by a climb. I was happy with how I started but I was running out of breath by 1/3 of a mile and the time I got to halfway , I saw the hill I had to climb for 2nd half and psychologically right there, I gave up and pulled up a few metres later. I was going to just leave it there and then but went into the park next door and tried again within a few minutes. It was pretty much the exact same,although slower. I was completely blown out by half a mile. It was far too soon to attempt another bash.
    At that stage I was beaten for the day so decided to do the 2 miles back home. After about a mile I ran past a few pitches that were super quiet, - Right f this, I will have one last bash. 3rd time lucky me hole, It was the exact same thing, where I blew out early again despite a slower start this time. That was defo it now and i ran home with tail between the legs :)

Without a doubt, I underestimated this distance and thought i'd be able to get close to sub 5 by randomly choosing to attempt this on a whim. Next time I attempt, I'll prepare alot better first.

54 Miles for week and 37 days streak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was wondering what was going on... glad it wasn't an injury or anything ! I still reckon you'll pull out some great miles next Sat morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was wondering what was going on... glad it wasn't an injury or anything ! I still reckon you'll pull out some great miles next Sat morning :)

Haha me too! absolutely no doubt you will smash it next Saturday D:cool:

Haha me too! absolutely no doubt you will smash it next Saturday D:cool:

I have a few doubts myself now :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday 6 miles @7.51
    Decided not to do the early today so headed of out on my lunch break for 45 mins up to Marlay Park. I suddenly remembered why I had switched to the dawn running since the lockdown, I had been out on the bike a few times with the kids during the day up in Marlay and seemed grand.

It wasn't that busy now but at one stage there was a family of 6 spread the full way across a 3 metre wide path.

I was coming from behind and slowed down and gave a polite shout of excuse me, assuming they would reshape into a single file or do some sort of effort to distance from me. I had no where else to go here. They barely budged, and the mother said something of the lines of "Some People" then she tailed off as I glanced at her. I decided to ignore it rather then get into a confrontation.
    Anywhere a bit later on in run, i copped a rake of cars parked on road, cycle path outside one of the gates. Cars were also blocking the gate, so no chance of an emergency vehicle even getting in if needed. Anyway, low and behold, the same family were getting into their SUV which was the main culprit for blocking gate. I'm sure they were within their 2km radius too - Some People indeed....

Tuesday 7.4 Miles @8.05
    A thoroughly uninteresting morn run where I decided to change which route I was going to take after a mile already gone in one direction:confused: Maybe, I need the excitement of potential confrontation later on in day to keep things interesting.

Kept it at not quite very easy but easy /moderate it seems to be these days for me.

Wednesday 5.17Miles @6.48
    This was 4x4 mins at approx 5.35-5.40 pace. I felt tired enough after the 3rd rep and needed to get back quicker for work reasons, that I did the 4th rep on an outrageous downhill where I almost had to slow myself down. Easy running now until Saturdays TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday 5.17Miles @6.48
    This was 4x4 mins at approx 5.35-5.40 pace..... etc....

:eek: from where you were only a few months ago. Some pace for those reps. Very interested to see your TT result and read about it

Thursday 7 miles @8.33

Early morning run around the back of Marlay park before it opens for the day. A route that has grown on me recently for easier miles. At the crack of dawn, it can feel that you are in the country side at times despite been next door to the M50.

Friday 5 Miles @8.19

5 Miles is about the max I was getting in timewise. It suited with the Time Trial the next day. The run itself was kind of rushed as had plenty going on, but enjoyable to get out in the nice weather nonetheless. Shortly before, I was dropping up a few bits and pieces to my cocooning parents. I arrived up shortly before a pretty surreal scene. A neighbour of theirs had passed away a couple of days earlier from Covid 19. This guy was a gentleman. He was a former pro footballer who used to take a few minutes out of his day quite often when I was a kid to show myself and friends a few tips and tricks as we played 'beat the keeper' on the road. He knew it meant loads to the local kids to be kicking a ball with himself.
    Anyway, I arrived in time to see the funeral procession as the whole street stood out in unison and clapped. There were ribbons on the trees and it was almost if the birds were singing louder. It made me feel pretty proud to have grown up there, as the hairs stood up on the back of the neck as the Hearse passed by.

Saturday - Time Trial

I had originally made a pigs ear of this and had it in my head for a good 10 days that this was on the previous Saturday until Skyblue46 had pointed it out to me. It turns out the extra week was needed for me. I went out last Saturday and attempted a 1 mile TT then but gave up after not 1, not 2, but 3 miserable failed attempts. I had a spot in mind where I had done previous time trials and sessions and had no plan B really. I rocked up on the sat morn and it turns out it was a favourite spot of a local who lets his 4 dogs loose in the morn - fair enough but didnt suit me to be swerving them lap after lap. I needed to change location then and it all went downhill fast.

This week, i knew I had to be earlier to get to the park first. Its a bit sad I know but its exactly what happened, I got up there by 6am a full 2 mins before himself and his merry dogs arrived. He didn't stick about when he saw me pacing myself aroun. Its the small things, but I had a feeling I would run well now. I live pretty much on the foot of the mountains so there is no much options for me in terms of anything flat. Marlay park is, but its not opening early at the minute which is an awful pain in the backside.

Anyway - its approx 9+ laps of a 565 metre loop. It may be kind on the garmin measures, but I ensure I start at a spot that will result in a net uphill route. I went out a too fast on the first km and the first 2 laps i was catching my breath before i found a pace i could manage by the end of Mile 1. (5.25).
    I definitely felt like I was running the next 3 laps slower but was in a far better place when it comes to energy and breath.(5.35).

The rest of this was pure countdown. 3 laps left, 2.5 laps left, 2 laps left etc. I was tiring fast as I approached my last 2 laps. Its not a flat route, but a decent drag on one half that really gets me for the 7th time. "2 More Drags and your done D" It turns out, It was 3 though as the last 0.11 was finishing on the drag. This nearly drained me when I realised that but I just let loose going up it the last time i has glanced at the watch and copped that sub 17 was a possibility here. As soon as I saw the Garmin hit 3.11 miles, I pulled up instantly and took to my knees for a good 20 seconds to compose myself. It was then I had copped I had run 16.56. I was delighted although i was pretty much full wank3r here. Vapourflys, night off booze and short route. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

In fairness that's super running. I had an idea from that time I saw you jogging up out of the Furry Glen(not even out of breath)during Jingle Bells that there would be serious times to come from you. Congrats. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Fantastic TT. I could never run like that at 6am, absolutely brilliant. Well done.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    In fairness that's super running. I had an idea from that time I saw you jogging up out of the Furry Glen(not even out of breath)during Jingle Bells that there would be serious times to come from you. Congrats. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, nice one S. I must have been hiding the pain in my face well that day so.

I've said it before & i'll say it again! Holy sh!t, what a phenomenal time! You are just improving all the time & not by accident. Your training is consistently good. Well deserved:)

I've said it before & i'll say it again! Holy sh!t, what a phenomenal time! You are just improving all the time & not by accident. Your training is consistently good. Well deserved:)

MY BAD wrote: »
    Fantastic TT. I could never run like that at 6am, absolutely brilliant. Well done.

Thanks man for the comment. I might be the opposite to you here though. I find early morning easier. Racing or sessions in the afternoon
    seem to be more of a struggle for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

That's amazing running D. I kinda knew you had an axe to grind after last week's TT, shows your determined nature. I knew you were a dark horse for this TT, but didn't expect this type of time.

I think the next time we do a TT though, you need to be forced to do it the following morning. It's not the best motivation to be waking up to that time before breakfast :-)

You said it again alright :)

Thanks a lot E. I could say the very same about yourself. I forgot to mention in orginal post above but this was a really good idea by OOnegative and superbly organised. We found the right place to learn and improve - thats for sure

Treviso wrote: »
    That's amazing running D. I kinda knew you had an axe to grind after last week's TT, shows your determined nature. I knew you were a dark horse for this TT, but didn't expect this type of time.

I think the next time we do a TT though, you need to be forced to do it the following morning. It's not the best motivation to be waking up to that time before breakfast :-)

Cheers T. You are right. That annoyed me last week but I needed that kick.

Haha your own fault for checking strava before your breakfast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

The TT results pointed me towards your log, which I've just read from the beginning. Wow, what a staggering progression in just a few months (not even a year since you started training for DCM'19, right?), clear testament to the effects of consistent solid training on top of what is no doubt some amount of natural ability. Congratulations and please keep it going. As much as you started the log "to pick up some advice", realise that it's also a source of motivation for others trying to get some consistency back into our training, even if we can't imagine getting to the sorts of times you are running now. Cheers!

MrSkinny wrote: »
    The TT results pointed me towards your log, which I've just read from the beginning. Wow, what a staggering progression in just a few months (not even a year since you started training for DCM'19, right?), clear testament to the effects of consistent solid training on top of what is no doubt some amount of natural ability. Congratulations and please keep it going. As much as you started the log "to pick up some advice", realise that it's also a source of motivation for others trying to get some consistency back into our training, even if we can't imagine getting to the sorts of times you are running now. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to search and comment. Appreciate the kudos. Yes, First time I decided to train for anything running related was July last year with DCM in mind. I'm pretty much hooked at this stage so won't be going away anytime soon I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Such an amazing time D, and well deserved after all the consistent early mornings! You're out and done before most of us are even out of bed :) It's gonna be exciting to see how you do when racing is back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Serious running. I expect you've gained a few Strava followers over the past few weeks. Myself included. Haha

Serious running. I expect you've gained a few Strava followers over the past few weeks. Myself included. Haha

:) i have put a bit of pressure on myself now alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

You truely are a machine D.

Staggering progression in such a short space of time. What kind of times will you be churning out when races eventually return?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Phenomenal stuff D... Well done!

Last Sunday 8.24 Miles at 7.52 which left the week with a total of 46 Miles

Monday 8.09 miles@8.07
    Tuesday 7.34 Miles@8.03

I don't remember anything from these runs. I find during this period if I don't log them more frequently, I don't recall them. I think it comes down to the fact they are all within 2km radius and are very similar.

Wednesday 7.10miles@6.5
    This was approx a 35 minute tempo job. I live in an area where there is plenty of hills, so when I do these type of runs or progression runs, I will always have to climb during the harder part of these runs. I enjoy it actually and I think it stands to me when I get on a flatter surface for racing.

Thursday 7.04 Miles@8.11
    Again, I don't recall much on this one. My strava map looks like a more compact version of Italy though.

Friday 6 Miles@8.14.
    I didn't sleep very well the previous night. The plan here was 8x1min Hill sprint prints at full throttle. The first issue I found on the first rep was at full throttle, the hill i was was using was not long enough for 1 min reps. It meant, I had to cross a junction for last 10 seconds. It was now 50 second reps i was going to do. The 2nd one went fine then. On to the 3rd rep, i felt a little bit of tightness in my left hamstring and the 4th, I was just feeling flat and my head wasn't in the game for them at this stage. I canned the session at this stage and just did a further 4 mile run. Looking back, I think it was the right call now after beating myself up initially for flaking on it.

Saturday 11.05miles@7.27
    Just a really nice run this. It was nice thinking ahead of new options for runs now with the 5k radius. It was a beautiful morning and found the increase in paces through the miles relatively handy. This brought up my 50th consecutive day of running. This time last year i remember if I ran 2 days in a row, I was seeing that as an achievement and it probably was at the time too. What a difference a year can make.

Sunday 5.54 miles@8.06
    After a late night Zoom quiz (which despite cheating, I still finished last of 6th of 6), I had decided I wasn't getting up early for a few easy miles . I popped out at lunch time for a jog around Marlay park instead. It was busy with the day that was in it. I did a bit of running through the trails aswell as the boundary, but got a tweak in my knee at one stage. It was enough to make me park the run a bit earlier. I had no issue on flat ground but was feeling it on uneven grass. In these social distance times, you cant just stick to the path so was time to ease it home. Did about 10 mins with resistance band after, so hoping its ok tomor for some more easy miles.

52 Miles for the week

Monday 7 Miles @8.20

Last day of the 2km radius. A usual easy lap that I wont be doing for a while now I'd say.

Tuesday 8.19 miles @9.08

A run I had planned to do for a while but finally got the chance with the limits increased to 5km. I ran up 3 rock mountain up as far as Fairy Castle which is approx 500 metres high I think. The elevation gain on the run was over 1400 feet and I felt it a bit on the calves towards the peak. It was more to do with watching my feet very carefully though, as the surface requires extra concentration towards the top to avoid any ankle injuries. Beautiful views over Dublin and something I will incorporate on a semi regular basis as long as I'm working from home.

Wednesday 8.19 Miles @ 7.08

I expected to be stiff after the previous day but felt really fresh. This was a 35 min tempo job sandwiched in between a couple of easier miles. I enjoyed the bit of pace here and been out of the general area(eastwards) that I have become accustomed to.

Thursday 7 Miles @ 8.06

Nothing of note here. Just travelled a bit further west then I have for weeks. I was feeling DOMS here from the mountain run I assume.

Friday 7.02 Miles @8.28

I went north this time to complete the compass. It was a bit of a recce mission looking for a suitable area to do the 1mile TT. I was still a bit stiff here so kept it easy.

My TT prediction has been adjusted accordingly;)

My TT prediction has been adjusted accordingly;)
    :) I was only messing. I did see you finish both Raheny and Bohermeen like a train though so I think you could run a fast mile. It's a hard distance and I am pretty sure I have bit off more then I can chew with my own prediction.

:) I was only messing. I did see you finish both Raheny and Bohermeen like a train though so I think you could run a fast mile. It's a hard distance and I am pretty sure I have bit off more then I can chew with my own prediction.

Ah I know that! I was thinking or rather hoping i should be able to do it a bit quicker! Might as well push as hard as i can :D

Nah I think you'll blitz it ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday approx 8 miles at 7.45

This was broken up into 3 seperate runs. I wanted to return to Bushy Park to check on the terrain/elevation for possible TT venue, as my GPS was throwing up some funky readings the day before. As advised by one of the great leaders, I tried it again as a single run as opposed to a mile stuck in the middle of a longer run. It was solid advice as I knew it was a flat loop and this proved that theory. On my way down, I threw in x4 400's and x4 200's with suitable recovery between each rep. It was pretty much downhill but I wasn't hitting the paces required to match my TT prediction even for 200 metres :eek:.
    On a side note, it was great to see the amount of people out in their yellow T-shirts for Darkness into Light despite it been officially cancelled. Its something that resonates with me, as I'm sure it does with a vast amount of folk. Fair play to laineyfrecks for putting Pieta House fwd for TT charity donations.

Sunday 11.42 miles @7.31

This was an alternate marathon/tempo pace miles with easier miles. Thoroughly enjoyable run which took in the UCD trail but the aul legs were tired after the week. I was planning 13 but decided it was best to give the legs a break.

57 Miles for week

Monday 7 miles @8.29

Easy/recovery local run needed to start the week

Advertisement