Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

• 25-01-2020 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Mr E wrote:
    Mod: This is a continuation of the "Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet." thread.
    LorenzoB wrote: »
    Ffs. Scholars?

Giving birth and climate change are inextricably linked. This is fact, but you don't get people blaming women for it, rightly.

How many pieces of fine art have you had exhibited huh?? The article is from the world economic forum btw, the author is far more educated than you. Climate Justice requires a profound readjustment of society. 're-education to facilitate the eradication of toxic masculinity will be one of its main aims.

Comments

Paddygreen wrote: »
    How many pieces of fine art have you had exhibited huh?? The article is from the world economic forum btw, the author is far more educated than you. Climate Justice requires a profound readjustment of society. 're-education to facilitate the eradication of toxic masculinity will be one of its main aims.

Wow. Who emasculated you?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

LorenzoB wrote: »
    Wow. Who emasculated you?

I am gender fluid leaning towards non-binary. I am so ashamed I look like a white/pink western European man that I have spent a small fortune on subbed sessions and spray tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

I am so ashamed I look like a white/pink western European man that I have spent a small fortune on subbed sessions and spray tans.

Hmmm........are you Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It costs a lot of money to hang around Davos this time of year and her minder Luisa Neubauer (23) showed up again by the climate worriers side.

Greta knows only what she is told and says only what is written for her and her father and an Indian activist from the UN write her responses. She is a credible actress with passion. The incident where she sat in first class on the train home but they took a photo of her on the floor to create this image of suffering. Except the train company called it out. This is stage managed and advised by a lot of people, I believe the term for this behaviour is astroturfing.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have to say I find the obsession some of the men on here have with this teenager girl to be borderline creepy.

I think I see your point,and to be fair it matches the obsession Ms Thunberg (and her "team") has crafted around the Climate Change topic.

However,it must be,at least dawning,on some fence -sitters by now that Ms Thunberg's apparently independent ,impulsive and solo crusade has in reality been nothing of the sort.

The topic itself was chosen and the campaign drawn up by some fairly well versed Political types,few of whom are blessed/cursed with the abilities which come with Aspbergers.

These fellow travellers of Ms Thunberg,will smoothly and easily switch to a different topic just as soon as the Climate Change issue drops down the ever changing list of things to campaign about...as it surely will.

However,when these Lisa Neubauer types do transfer their attentions,will they bear a sideways glance at Ms Thunberg,who may not be able to make that switch,and instead remain forever frozen in a never ending series of doom laden warnings to the rest of us.

Planet Earth will sort itself out at it's own speed and in it's own way...any thoughts of Mankind being able to somehow or other control these events is not only fanciful,but indicative of a self-belief verging on meglomania.

Chill people...chill :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭wmahcm

I have to say I find the obsession some of the men on here have with this teenager girl to be borderline creepy.

I largely agree with what Greta says and wants, and that she is undeserving of the nasty personal criticism, and that she is an innocent party as to how she's being used . . . but to be honest I find the use of her as a front, and as an unelected spokesperson for the world to be much much creepier and disturbing than climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

wmahcm wrote: »
    I largely agree with what Greta says and wants, and that she is undeserving of the nasty personal criticism, and that she is an innocent party as to how she's being used . . . but to be honest I find the use of her as a front, and as an unelected spokesperson for the world to be much much creepier and disturbing than climate change.

Firstly? Seriously?

Secondly, a front for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

im not sure if the hate for Greta is passive, ignorant or the profane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Timistry wrote: »
    im not sure if the hate for Greta is passive, ignorant or the profane?

I’m no climate change denier, I don’t hate Greta but to me she is no hero or genius but it’s apparent if you say anything against her you are automatically branded some sort of ignorant denier. You can’t criticise the almighty St Greta.

Look I understand what’s she saying but I already bought it from scientists and other sources than from someone who is..eh intellectually challenged.

For every fan of hers there’s probably 5 that don’t like her.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I’m no climate change denier, I don’t hate Greta but to me she is no hero or genius but it’s apparent if you say anything against her you are automatically branded some sort of ignorant denier. You can’t criticise the almighty St Greta.

Look I understand what’s she saying but I already bought it from scientists and other sources than from someone who is..eh intellectually challenged.

For every fan of hers there’s probably 5 that don’t like her.

Nope. Feel free to dislike her all you want.

People should just be prepared to be challenged on their ' logic' when trying to come up with some reason to explain why they don't like her other than acknowledging that that is all it is.

For the record, nothing she has done so far indicates that she is a genius, likewise, she is not yet a hero because she or her protests have yet to be the catalyst to the radical change which is required being implemented.

But she is a very principled, dedicated person who is trying to lead by example and advocate for change instead of just shrugging her shoulders or ignoring the issue. She is to be applauded for that much at least in my book and the best way to support her is to support her message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Nope. Feel free to dislike her all you want.

People should just be prepared to be challenged on their ' logic' when trying to come up with some reason to explain why they don't like her other than acknowledging that that is all it is.

Maybe it’s how she come across, she is literally a saleswoman trying to sell climate action to the world.

Sometimes people just don’t like certain sales people, I was buying an Audi so went along to a dealership and I didn’t gel with the salesman ...so I went to a different dealership. Incidentally the salesman didn’t have to do much selling as I already done my research on YouTube and I knew what price...the sales guy just had to keep his mouth shut and not say something stupid. In the end I walked... it doesn’t mean I hate him I just chose not to deal with him.

But she is a very principled, dedicated person who is trying to lead by example and advocate for change instead of just shrugging her shoulders or ignoring the issue. She is to be applauded for that much at least in my book and the best way to support her is to support her message.

Greta Thunberg and her followers are calling for rapidly rebuilding the global energy system, while also completely restructuring the world’s economic, social and political systems. All this turmoil in the name of limiting future global warming to 1/2 degree celcius. That is just nuts.

Look at it this way. If alarmism is the religion, which it sort of is, then Thunberg represents the new fundamentalism. As with most fundamentalism, the core belief is very simple in this case our actions threaten destruction so they must end now. Full stop. There is no reasoning with them and if you disagree you are just part of the problem. They have their own dogmas which they label the united science, the wacky tipping point, death and extinction speculations that we can laugh at. And we can laugh at them, up to the point where they gain power, if they ever do. Then not so much . . .

In addition the USA elected a climate sceptic, and in Davos recently both he and Greta Thunberg have stolen the limelight from German chancellor Angela Merkel who is trying to rescue her political legacy as the costly impacts of the Energiewende and associated policies to appease the Green bloc within Germany are becoming apparent to the domestic German population and resistance is rising.

German farmers set bonfires across the country in protest at being 'ignored' in climate drive
    “We feel that government is being driven by green groups and NGOs. They are chasing the Green party vote and ignoring farmers even though we are their core voters,” said Helmut Lebacher, the organiser of a bonfire in the small Bavarian village of Tyrlaching.

Himself a cattle farmer, Mr Lebacher said that ever stricter regulations are threatening the financial viability of small farms.

"I invested a million euros in a new cow shed five years ago, but it wouldn't get planning today. Constantly changing regulations are making it impossible to plan for the future," he said.

source

President Macron of France ran into the same problem and lit the fuse with "climate legislation" with the yellow vests still protesting.

And the Dutch government has to deal with a Farmers uprising.

The Dutch dairy dilemma - How dairy farmers in the Netherlands are coping with new phosphates regulations
    "The Dutch dairy industry has produced too many phosphates since milk quotas ended, so in a bid to reduce these levels the government allocated phosphate rights to each dairy farmer based on their 2015 herd sizes.

"By then I had started to expand and was allocated 5,000kg of phosphate rights, which was enough for 110 cows.

"As it stands, a cow produces around 45kg of phosphates per year so in reality I need 9,000kg phosphates rights for 200 cows.

"However, at the moment I have 160 cows which requires phosphates rights of 7,200kg so I really have 50 cows too many in the barn.

"With phosphate rights trading at €220 per kilogram I would need to invest another half a million euro in phosphate rights just to stand still with current numbers, but I cannot afford to do that."

source

How a Nitrogen Crisis Turned Dutch Farmers to Rage

“The problem the high-court saw in the PAS-system was that it isn’t clear whether giving out a nitrogen license would lead to the deterioration of the natural ecosystem in a certain area,” Elshof explains. “The government never had a plan b. Three-thousand farms and building projects lost their nitrogen rights overnight. That has led to an explosion of dissatisfaction among farmers who have had more and more environmental demands piling up on them to begin with. ”

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe it’s how she come across, she is literally a saleswoman trying to sell climate action to the world.

Sometimes people just don’t like certain sales people, I was buying an Audi so went along to a dealership and I didn’t gel with the salesman ...so I went to a different dealership. Incidentally the salesman didn’t have to do much selling as I already done my research on YouTube and I knew what price...the sales guy just had to keep his mouth shut and not say something stupid. In the end I walked... it doesn’t mean I hate him I just chose not to deal with him.

One of the big issues which has been highlighted (and apparently repeatedly ignored) is that greta et al are not only telling us how it is - but the same are going well beyond that and dictating what they want and that they want it right now. That remit has moved beyond any climate change agenda up to and including such things as demanding the end of all "Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression ".

Whilst any support of environmental and social objectives is laudable - it remains the whole greta thing has gone well beyond any supposed message of 'listen to the scientists'. However anyone who points any of this out is now a 'hater and a 'denier' and a likley target of the greta supporting lynch mobs.

thunb.png

Prince Charles flew 16,000 miles in just 11 days using three private jets and one helicopter before proudly posing with Greta Thunberg in Davos

How come she did not scold him for all that C02? or at the very least refuse to pose with him for all the carbon sins he committed? Her role is simply to be a photo opportunity prop as Vanessa Nakate (23) from Uganda discovered when she got cropped out of the photo with Greta by Associated Press.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjqgyMLpGw

I doubt there was anything racist about it. Greta is the story and the woman from Uganda distracts the focus from Greta Thunberg who is the story that sells so would be expected to be center of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It costs a lot of money to hang around Davos this time of year and her minder Luisa Neubauer (23) showed up again by the climate worriers side.

Greta knows only what she is told and says only what is written for her and her father and an Indian activist from the UN write her responses. She is a credible actress with passion. The incident where she sat in first class on the train home but they took a photo of her on the floor to create this image of suffering. Except the train company called it out. This is stage managed and advised by a lot of people, I believe the term for this behaviour is astroturfing.
    Astroturfing is creating the appearance of a grassroots movement - which means that a huge proportion of the activists in the climate strikes on 20th September last, would have to have been manufactured and paid for - which is a pretty gigantic conspiracy theory, given the scale of the climate protests.

Astroturfing is more easily identified by e.g. people who promote long-ago-discredited research, paid for by fossil fuel interests - and who spread this propaganda around online, as if they are just regular people acting on a 'grassroots' level, without any conflict of interest - occasionally supplemented by a handful of 'useful idiots' along the way...

For example, the persistence with which you routinely posted easily discredited information funded by the Koch oil oligarchs earlier in this thread, is the perfect identifier of potential astroturfing (potential just, as the existence of conflicts of interest is unknown) - the Koch's are directly known for and well documented as funding astroturfing.

Anyway on topic. Heres BBCs Scotlands take.
    Warning: This is humour but very likley will still offend some viewers ...

Love the subtitles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Who's name will be remembered a thousand years from now if we don't go extinct, it's going to be Greta innit. Who will have monuments constructed as a celebration of her achievements- Greta. Who is going to have the biggest gig on earth since Jesus of Nazareth? Again Greta. Little kids who have climate awareness raised all over the world love Greta, worship Greta, have little Greta shrines where they can be inspired by the wonder of Greta. Greta is our hope. Greta is the future. Who makes us listen to the science, Greta. Who is spreading the most important message of all time Greta. Who is wise wonderful and divine Greta. Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who's name will be remembered a thousand years from now if we don't go extinct, it's going to be Greta innit. Who will have monuments constructed as a celebration of her achievements- Greta. Who is going to have the biggest gig on earth since Jesus of Nazareth? Again Greta. Little kids who have climate awareness raised all over the world love Greta, worship Greta, have little Greta shrines where they can be inspired by the wonder of Greta. Greta is our hope. Greta is the future. Who makes us listen to the science, Greta. Who is spreading the most important message of all time Greta. Who is wise wonderful and divine Greta. Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta Greta. ....
    And then you came

This is ridiculous.

If you default on a rent payment, the landlord will likely first give you a text maybe to see how things are, did you forget or whatever, if it continues, they'll call, then they'll come to the door, then they'll issue eviction notice (or similar steps.

There has been decades of nicey nicey. It really is time to bang on the door.

Your post does tell a truth. Many people are motivated purely on a personal level that they dislike the messenger. Probably the fact that she is young and female has a lot to do with it.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyway on topic. Heres BBCs Scotlands take.
    Warning: This is humour but very likley will still offend some viewers ...

Love the subtitles :pac:

That's brilliant isn't it. It's so cutting. Right up there with the likes of Monty Python or the work of Demot Morgan or Armando Iannucci for cutting edge satire. Really excellent. So many layers to it.

Really is only people of a certain intellect who will be able to get the nuanced humour within it.

That's brilliant isn't it. It's so cutting. Right up there with the likes of Monty Python or the work of Demot Morgan or Armando Iannucci for cutting edge satire. Really excellent. So many layers to it.

Really is only people of a certain intellect who will be able to get the nuanced humour within it.

You did read the disclaimer I presume no?

Well if you are going to be offended by humour

Complaints to BBC Scotland thataway =>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That video gets better as it goes along . Who exactly is paying for Greta’s security. She certainly seemed to have a lot of it for that little outing.

Her schooling was in no way normal, before all this either !

You did read the disclaimer I presume no?

Well if you are going to be offended by humour

Complaints to BBC Scotland thataway =>

Hey I agreed with you.

High quality satire. For some.

KyussB wrote: »
    Astroturfing is creating the appearance of a grassroots movement - which means that a huge proportion of the activists in the climate strikes on 20th September last, would have to have been manufactured and paid for - which is a pretty gigantic conspiracy theory, given the scale of the climate protests.

How many school children in Ireland went on strike last Friday or any of the preceding Fridays? That's not a grass roots movement Septembers event was coordinated through a massive media and public relations campaign. You want an example of a grass roots movement look to the yellow vests in France, they have risen up against legislation that targeted them under the guise of climate change. You don't see them getting invited to the Davos club to have their photo taken. Gretas rise and her financial backers have already been exposed on this thread, the climate movement is a top down led organisation that has duped and exploited a socially naive girls condition for their own interests.

The Divine Greta may not be criticised . Has she Morphed in to Allah ? ?

This is ridiculous. If you default on a rent payment, the landlord will likely first give you a text maybe to see how things are, did you forget or whatever, if it continues, they'll call, then they'll come to the door, then they'll issue eviction notice (or similar steps.There has been decades of nicey nicey. It really is time to bang on the door. Your post does tell a truth. Many people are motivated purely on a personal level that they dislike the messenger. Probably the fact that she is young and female has a lot to do with it.

That comment certainly show a basement level of discussion for sure. Why is that they repeatedly call out any other opinion than yours as ridiculous? And with that comes the personal dig that if someone doesn't love greta they are a misogynist, are one of the mean kids or wtte. And unfortunately that's where we at.

That comment certainly show a basement level of discussion for sure. Why is that they identify repeatedly call out any other opinion than yours as ridiculous? And with that comes the usual personal dig that if someone dont love greta you are a misogynist, are one of the mean kids or wtte. And unfortunately that's where we at.

We are at post #9709.

Motivations have had plenty of time to raise their heads for consideration.

blinding wrote: »
    The Divine Greta may not be criticised . Has she Morphed in to Allah ? ?

Why? Do you think Allah should not be criticised?

On Greta. Criticism is fine. But it is there to be challenged and this thread in particular has shown the vast amount of criticism to be absent of any reasonable supporting logic.

• Advertisement

Why? Do you think Allah should not be criticised?

On Greta. Criticism is fine. But it is there to be challenged and this thread in particular has shown the vast amount of criticism to be absent of any reasonable supporting logic.
    No one is above criticism; Not Allah , Not Greta.

Advertisement