Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This isn't strictly about cycling, but does relate to one of the candidates previously mentioned: what would happen if Ciaran Cuffe was elected to the council as well as being elected MEP?

I presume that you can't have more than one mandate; would the seat then go to the candidate with the next highest number of votes? (I presume also that you can't name a substitute for the seat to go to, as is the case for MEPs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This isn't strictly about cycling, but does relate to one of the candidates previously mentioned: what would happen if Ciaran Cuffe was elected to the council as well as being elected MEP?

I presume that you can't have more than one mandate; would the seat then go to the candidate with the next highest number of votes? (I presume also that you can't name a substitute for the seat to go to, as is the case for MEPs).

You can name a sub. Not very democratic, but you can. And you don't even have to list your subs before you're elected, though most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »
    You can name a sub. Not very democratic, but you can. And you don't even have to list your subs before you're elected, though most people do.
    For the Council seat, you don't name the sub in advance. It's actually in control of the Party to identify the replacement, not the individual Councillor. Some parties have a democratic process to appoint the replacement candidate, others do a head office decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's one candidate who ran in two areas (i.e. for two council seats) and looks set to be elected in both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jd wrote: »
    Unfortunately no. He lost half his base when the LEAs were re-drawn.
    https://twitter.com/patmontague/status/1132681454436179970

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If I'm remembering history correctly, De Valera applied to join the Commonwealth and was indignantly refused; however, when India shucked off the empire's shackles a few years later it was sleeveenly invited to join.

Ireland was definitely in what was then called the Commonwealth pretty much by default, because of the Dominion status. They didn't participate in any meaningful way after the early 30s, as far as I know.

When the Republic of Ireland was declared in the late 40s, that meant Ireland was de facto no longer a dominion and therefore no longer a member (Ireland didn't actually consider itself a member leading up to the declaration anyway apparently) but shortly after the Commonwealth of Nations was set up by the London Declaration. Ireland could have joined that (other republics such as India did), but it never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Budawanny wrote: »
    Rebecca Moynihan in DCC voted for the Clontarf cycle route.
    https://counciltracker.ie is a handy place to see who voted for what.

That's a great link. Is there anything like that available for sdcc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Interesting... I'd say there is a bit of a jostling for position in the Green Party at the minute, one or two council seats could be unexpectedly looking for subs.

Mannix Flynn back in, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Mannix Flynn back in, I think.
    he's still got a flair for whatever it is mannix flynn is flairy at.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mannix-flynn-compares-people-before-profit-supporters-to-isis-and-the-taliban-1.3905634

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He's gas. Even though he got elected, he whines. Then he talks about a better city when he seems to have a policy of voting down most things that make the city better. I really don't know how anyone votes for him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He's gas. Even though he got elected, he whines. Then he talks about a better city when he seems to have a policy of voting down most things that make the city better. I really don't know how anyone votes for him.
    Presumably most voters don't read up on the candidates policies and views

And, yet, some voters have quite nuanced judgments:
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1132579730421669890

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

No real excuse this time as the Dublin Inquirer survey made it so easy. If candidates didn't bother participating, that told it's own story. Hopefully it will be archived so we can see who's actually walking the walk (or cycling the cyclepath) when it comes to Council debates and votes.

No real excuse this time as the Dublin Inquirer survey made it so easy.
    to be fair, they only did it for dublin city council candidates. i don't think there was such a resource country-wide.

to be fair, they only did it for dublin city council candidates. i don't think there was such a resource country-wide.

It's a Dublin mag. It would be perfectly possible for people to replicate it for other councils.

https://twitter.com/MayorMontague/status/1137102106580701184

My wife's first comment was to wonder how they got the chain back off Nial Ring.

i sound very irish here; i don't have much truck with FF, but i've met yer man when he was out canvassing for a yes vote in the abortion referendum (i was trying to warn him away from calling into a neighbour of ours who is the parish priest) and he seems like a decent sort.

not that he got my vote, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

i sound very irish here; i don't have much truck with FF, but i've met yer man when he was out canvassing for a yes vote in the abortion referendum (i was trying to warn him away from calling into a neighbour of ours who is the parish priest) and he seems like a decent sort.

not that he got my vote, mind.
    Paul is a decent chap, and works damn hard (I'm not a FFer). He's willing to take risks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

tomasrojo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MayorMontague/status/1137102106580701184

My wife's first comment was to wonder how they got the chain back off Nial Ring.

482221.jpeg

so, has anyone addressed cycling with any candidates calling to the door?

i've only had one canvasser (socdem) and we ended up discussing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Waiting patiently. I do have bigger fish to fry as to the whole N11 corridor commuting clusterf*ck (PT/ Park and Ride/ alternative cycle routes or greenways), but any cyclists that use the N11 Bray to Kilmac to access Wicklow either commuting or on spins should be raising cyclists safety during the construction phase of the parallel relief road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I haven't spoken to anybody as yet this time (am in DBN) but have previously spoken to Aodhan O'Riordain about it and highlighted the value of quality segregated infrastructure, comparing the S2S as far as Fairview with the remaining route into town in terms of safety.

Iirc he said his wife cycles and he was strongly supportive of improved infrastructure and protection for cyclists. He was canvassing at the time for a council candidate who cycles to work himself so the conversation was light on persuasion tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jeez you do know green issues are about tax raising not providing cycling infrastructure

/Cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I haven't spoken to anybody as yet this time (am in DBN) but have previously spoken to Aodhan O'Riordain about it and highlighted the value of quality segregated infrastructure, comparing the S2S as far as Fairview with the remaining route into town in terms of safety.

Iirc he said his wife cycles and he was strongly supportive of improved infrastructure and protection for cyclists. He was canvassing at the time for a council candidate who cycles to work himself so the conversation was light on persuasion tbh.

I could be wrong but the labour councillors (along with FFG) in Fingal Coco voted down the use of CPO's to provide a cycleway connecting the new Baldoyle cycleway out to Swords because they were afraid of losing votes. It sould be something to put to them - now it was Cian O'Callahan (SocDem candidate) who told me this but he was for the proposal iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Ferris wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the labour councillors (along with FFG) in Fingal Coco voted down the use of CPO's to provide a cycleway connecting the new Baldoyle cycleway out to Swords because they were afraid of losing votes. It sould be something to put to them - now it was Cian O'Callahan (SocDem candidate) who told me this but he was for the proposal iirc.

It definitely should if true!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Noel Rock and Roisin Shorthall came to my door when I wasn't in. He is claiming credit for things that resident in the neighbourhood had all the credit for, and I'm scratching my head how he was ever voted in. He's also a year younger than me, and I think he looks at least 10-15 years older.

Candidates in this area aint much to shout about to be honest. I see 2 being returned again (a convicted terrorist being one I believe) and Shorthall, and then it's a toss up between McAuliffe and Rock. Career politicians

McAuliffe has also definitely had some image consultancy done, probably at behest of the party.

Montague is a popular person, but don't see him getting in.

I'm still registed in Leo's consituency however, and will just be sure to not vote for him or Chambers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just waiting to see which if any of my local candidates owns up to building the ridiculous new roundabout in Scholarstown which has brought local traffic to a standstill and made an otherwise pleasant cycle far more dodgy. Apparently it is suppose to be a piece of cycling infrastructure too. The lads from "Dumb and Dumber" could have come up with a better design.

Advertisement