Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

BaronVon wrote: »
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-03-21/57/

The Oireachtas website is a great resource for finding out how the incumbent TD's have represented us in the last 4 years!

As is this page which has attendance records, expenses claimed, and minutes of meetings, for County Councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I think the breakdown will be as follows:

1 SD
    1 FF
    1 FG

The fourth seat is a lottery. Could easily see O'Rourke missing out with either Stagg of Martin taking the last seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

ShyMets wrote: »
    I think the breakdown will be as follows:

1 SD
    1 FF
    1 FG

The fourth seat is a lottery. Could easily see O'Rourke missing out with either Stagg of Martin taking the last seat
    Ivan Yeates reckoned that Frank O'Rourke would stay in and Lawless would lose his seat ; he also thought that more people would dislike Durkan than like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Ivan Yeates reckoned that Frank O'Rourke would stay in and Lawless would lose his seat ; he also thought that more people would dislike Durkan than like him.

O'Rourke could certainly make it. Depends a lot on how he does in Celbridge. I'm in the Lexlip area. From talking to some people around here there doesn't seem to be too much love for him.

Lawless strikes me as a much more able politician than O'Rourke, but maybe that's just me.....

Durkan would be more riding on the FG ticket than as him as a politician, imo. Although I presume he has a reasonably strong base in Maynooth.

• Advertisement

Lawless strikes me as a much more able politician than O'Rourke, but maybe that's just me.....

Durkan would be more riding on the FG ticket than him as a politician, imo. Although I presume he has a reasonably strong base in Maynooth.
    I don't agree with either of Yeates' claims.

From what I can tell they don't even like Frank O'Rourke in Ballygoran!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd say we'll see the same 4 elected again...but can see Frank and Durkan having a more difficult time of it this time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Celbridge will vote for Frank... despite all his detractors, he is active locally and is well known. None of the other candidates are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Durkan would be more riding on the FG ticket than as him as a politician, imo. Although I presume he has a reasonably strong base in Maynooth.

Tony is a nice guy tbh. If only he wasn't in FG he'd get a preference from.

Bernard's base is Maynooth and Kilcock but he has plenty of following around the county. He'll be second highest 1st Prefs after Catherine.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-03-21/57/

The Oireachtas website is a great resource for finding out how the incumbent TD's have represented us in the last 4 years!

https://www.kildarestreet.com/ is excellent too. You can search by TD, topic, committee etc. And set up alerts to get an email when a specific TD speaks or when a topic is mentioned.

• Advertisement

2016's Results

WVSwVAC.png

daheff wrote: »
    i'd say we'll see the same 4 elected again...but can see Frank and Durkan having a more difficult time of it this time out.

I really don't think so. I genuinely think Frank will get back in but if we had to have one FF I'd much rather it was James - he's honest, hardworking and a nice guy. Frank is old school Haughey type of grifter.

That picture didn't come out too well Baron. Here's the results in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kildare_North_(D%C3%A1il_constituency)#2016_general_election

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In a similarly poor-for-FG election as the polling is suggesting (2002); but a 3 seater at the time, Durkan got in by about 100 votes. First and only time my father ever gave him any preference, and it was a 1 to try keep FF out!

Orion wrote: »
    That picture didn't come out too well Baron. Here's the results in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kildare_North_(D%C3%A1il_constituency)#2016_general_election

Cheers, tried to resize it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Interesting odds. Martin might be worth a punt

500685.jpg

So there's 4 seats and paddy power are odds on for five candidates?
    Plenty of value in that market:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Why not Stagg. Believe me he was a great TD. He's done alot for people.
    Of course you have your own reasons and you don't have to share them

I won't vote for Frank because of the mileage thing (Lawless takes the train to work and doesn't claim mileage ,though I believe he gets the whole cost of his leap card refunded, but as things to complain about politicians go that's not too much!) .

What way did they all vote on the abortion referendum?

Hi from your neighbour - Kildare South.

Hope you don’t mind me commenting?

Regarding Stagg? I voted Labour all my life until 2016, but after Gilmore & Burton’s love affair with coalition, I’ll never vote Labour again. But that’s just my perspective.

Anyone listen to Philip Boucher hayes’s Interviews in Naas tonight? His last topic was on climate change, and the shiner was totally lost, she didn’T know how much the emissions had to cut by 2030, & after being told (in fairness, none except the green knew), it is 4% - I actually didn’t’t know either. But later in the interview, she mentioned 40%..

And can I ask a question? What is the mileage thing re frank o’rourke?

Hi from your neighbour - Kildare South.

Hope you don’t mind me commenting?

Regarding Stagg? I voted Labour all my life until 2016, but after Gilmore & Burton’s love affair with coalition, I’ll never vote Labour again. But that’s just my perspective.

Anyone listen to Philip Boucher hayes’s Interviews in Naas tonight? His last topic was on climate change, and the shiner was totally lost, she didn’T know how much the emissions had to cut by 2030, & after being told (in fairness, none except the green knew), it is 4% - I actually didn’t’t know either. But later in the interview, she mentioned 40%..

He lives in Ballygoran in Celbridge but claims to drive into Dublin in some weird way that bumps up his mileage into the next band .

It's something like that.

Lawless the other eff effer takes the train from Sallins. I bet Vincent Martin will too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its 40%...
    At least 40% cuts in greenhouse gas emissions (from 1990 levels)
    At least 32% share for renewable energy.
    At least 32.5% improvement in energy efficiency.
    https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2030_en
    ...and...
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/climate-action/topics/eu-and-international-climate-action/2030-eu-targets/Pages/default.aspx
    My understanding is that he drives into Dublin and claims the considerable TD mileage allowance whereas his party and constituency colleague (Lawless) gets the train and only claims the Leap card costs.

Yeah, none of them came out great out of it. Stagg sounds really old on the radio.....

• Advertisement

Its 40%...

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2030_en
    ...and...
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/climate-action/topics/eu-and-international-climate-action/2030-eu-targets/Pages/default.aspx

My understanding is that he drives into Dublin and claims the considerable TD mileage allowance whereas his party and constituency colleague (Lawless) gets the train and only claims the Leap cars costs.

Not going to argue with You SB, but PBH clearly said 4%. And then he got stuck into the fger Lawlor because Varadkar expected to cut it by 2%.

EDIT; You could well be right SB. I think Hayes was saying 4% per annum 7p to 2030. And Fg are. Only targeting for 2% per @nnum reduction. My apologies for being so obstinate earlier on this 4% over a decade.

Thanks for the heads up on for. I don’t know where Ballygoran is, but surely he could park up in Hazelhat h & get the train in?

Yeah, none of them came out great out of it. Stagg sounds really old on the radio.....

True, I would tend to support the SD’s, but CM certainly wasn’t convincing either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

His distance in is just 500m over a distance boundary; I believe 100% legitimately (its Zappone that's known to claim for going the long way!) which gets him a very very significant bump in the TAA payments

L1011 wrote: »
    His distance in is just 500m over a distance boundary; I believe 100% legitimately (its Zappone that's known to claim for going the long way!) which gets him a very very significant bump in the TAA payments

Thanks L1011 I certainly wasn't suggesting that Frank is obliged to take the absolute shortest route or that his route is in someway unacceptable.

Not going to argue with You SB, but PBH clearly said 4%. And then he got stuck into the fger Lawlor because Varadkar expected to cut it by 2%.
    I've a feeling that its something like 7% per year until 2030 but Leo thinks 2% will do.
    Thanks for the heads up on for. I don’t know where Ballygoran is, but surely he could park up in Hazelhat h & get the train in?
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/RPzrSr2S1ikbEFqZ8

He could do what most of the people he's supposed to represent do: get a bus or train FFS!

Ballygoran is the townland/countryside to the west of that. I have had to go in to the Houses of the Oireachtas - not in a political role! - and the train is the only sane thing to do from anywhere in the towns here.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ballygoran is the townland/countryside to the west of that. I have had to go in to the Houses of the Oireachtas - not in a political role! - and the train is the only sane thing to do from anywhere in the towns here.
    Doesn't he live in Ballygoran View (an estate in Celbridge) rather than Ballygoran (the townland)?

Doesn't he live in Ballygoran View (an estate in Celbridge) rather than Ballygoran (the townland)?

I'll admit I didn't even check. Yes.

Google gives a sub-25km driving distance for his actual house (which is public knowledge, its on all nominations etc)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/76+Ballygoran+View,+Thornhill,+Celbridge,+Co.+Kildare,+W23+AH21/D%C3%A1il+%C3%89ireann+(Lower+House+of+the+Irish+Parliament),+Leinster+House,+Kildare+St,+Dublin,+D02+XR20/@53.3329297,-6.5438064,11z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867705297ee47d1:0xe13c4090717188de!2m2!1d-6.5533134!2d53.3506757!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e9a1cd1c193:0x8eb898f0a1134afb!2m2!1d-6.253949!2d53.340551!3e0

So I may have been too nice to him earlier in the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

Interesting odds. Martin might be worth a punt

500685.jpg

Price on martin has moved a lot. He is 6/1 at 1pm yesterday by 2.45 he was into 4/1. He has moved to 7/4 by last night and is still at 7/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/05/30/the-mileage-of-shame/

Advertisement