Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous #GE2020 promises

• 15-01-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

Thought I’d start a thread about the most ludicrous and ridiculous infrastructure promises coming out of this election.

To start, Deirdre O’Donovan and a luas Extension from Tallaght to Ballycullen... there’s not even a bus at the moment, maybe that should be a starting point? :eyeroll:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Anything that Sinn Fein say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

get metrolink built asap! Busconnects, metrolink nothing comes close in comparison. Also couldnt be arsed listening to those idiots with no idea about transport and no opinions other than wanting to block it! Dart Underground a vital project, but not going ahead in foreseeable future!

Out of all the big issues, transport is by a mile the easiest solveable, desperately urgent and mickey mouse money.... and everyone agrees we need far more sustainable and better transport

these idiots, who have provided us with a third world transport sytstem in Dublin, have any of them proposed a hyperloop yet? (what with an imminent election and all that)...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Qrt wrote: »
    Thought I’d start a thread about the most ludicrous and ridiculous infrastructure promises coming out of this election.

To start, Deirdre O’Donovan and a luas Extension from Tallaght to Ballycullen... there’s not even a bus at the moment, maybe that should be a starting point? :eyeroll:

Just to correct you - there is a bus doing that - in fact three of them - the 49, 75 and 175 link Tallaght and different parts of Ballycullen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bridge from NI-Scotland. We should of course be building one between Ireland and wales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Just to correct you - there is a bus doing that - in fact three of them - the 49, 75 and 175 link Tallaght and different parts of Ballycullen.

Oh I know, but Ballycullen is getting further and further south. I mean something akin to the proposed 16.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I want an underwater floating Maglev tunnel to France, that way we can handle when the UK wants to exit the Northern Hemisphere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rural TDs are promising bypasses all over the place according to Morning Ireland today. These are far more likely to get the go ahead rather than Metro and Bus Connects, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

anything the Greens say.

Eamon Ryan is now saying they will double track the single track lines around the country rather than build more 'Fianna Fail Motorways'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is now saying they will double track the single track lines around the country rather than build more 'Fianna Fail Motorways'.

Aside from the last comment, that’s a fairly reasonable promise. I can’t believe the Galway line is still single track.

• Advertisement

Aside from the last comment, that’s a fairly reasonable promise. I can’t believe the Galway line is still single track.

I agree, but judging by his MetroLink interference he'll get the crayons out and strategically destroy this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Jim O Callaghan in Dublin Bay South has Safer Cycling and Better Public Transport on the front of his leaflet, and paragraphs on how terrible Metro South was and how he opposes BusConnects on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway (Fianna Fáil in tiny print), even though it'll result in induced congested motor traffic
    EOPwLo2WAAAIUqF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Was this through the door? Would be great if people could post a picture of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen a comment on twitter that FF are promising to redesign (or perhaps tear up) the busconnects plan. if true, probably an election promise going the opposite direction to what the OP was getting at.

famagusta wrote: »
    Anything that Sinn Fein say

Have SF said anything about PT . I can't find it.

i've seen a comment on twitter that FF are promising to redesign (or perhaps tear up) the busconnects plan. if true, probably an election promise going the opposite direction to what the OP was getting at.

Of course they are , they have to. They basically claimed it was the spawn of Satan. It doesn't leave much wiggle room

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Was this through the door? Would be great if people could post a picture on them

Yep got that leaflet through the door.
    Don't see how a Luas from tallaght to ballycullen is going to help unless it went out to sandyford aswell as headed out towards Liffey valley.
    Then that'd be like metro West.
    Don't think o Donovan has a clue tbh, iirc she opposes bus connects also.

Dats me wrote: »
    Jim O Callaghan in Dublin Bay South has Safer Cycling and Better Public Transport on the front of his leaflet, and paragraphs on how terrible Metro South was and how he opposes BusConnects on the back!

What’s his is plan ? Metro lines everywhere, when getting even one is nearly a pipe dream ? Or glacial buses , wonder which one he supports !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What’s his is plan ? Metro lines everywhere, when getting even one is nearly a pipe dream ? Or glacial buses , wonder which one he supports !

Busses with bus priority and cycle lanes are so important. But unfortunately this isn't going to grab any votes so they all seem to be staying away from tackling this subject.
    Whats the green partys stance on bus connects?

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Busses with bus priority and cycle lanes are so important. But unfortunately this isn't going to grab any votes so they all seem to be staying away from tackling this subject.
    Whats the green partys stance on bus connects?

What way is the public mood blowing on bus connects ?! That will tell you. I was coming towards terenure earlier , there is a massive pinch point caused where there is a gap in the bus corridor. Only a fault short section, and all it would take to address is removing a meter or so from the ridiculously long front gardens on this short stretch!

But they are so populist here and unwilling to do anything, that you know what ? I am actually surprised Eamon Ryan and all of these gob****es running for election , haven’t proposed a harrier bus , when it reaches congestion, or a gap in the qbc, it just lifts off vertically , then flies forward until landing back then when it hits the next stretch of qbc ...

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yep got that leaflet through the door.
    Don't see how a Luas from tallaght to ballycullen is going to help unless it went out to sandyford aswell as headed out towards Liffey valley.
    Then that'd be like metro West.
    Don't think o Donovan has a clue tbh, iirc she opposes bus connects also.

NOn of them have a clue. They spend nothing on infrastructure here and they are seriously proposing spending it on pipe dream massively expensive projects?

Dublin needs bus connects , Dublin metro line and dart underground. The other projects are insignificant jokes in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Is there a number on it? Rail track costs an awful lot.

This talk of rail in rural Ireland. You hear so much about rural Ireland and isolation etc. I think running electric buses might be a bit more practical and effective !

I just read the Dublin commuter group proposals. You need a few of that lot running for election. Not the morons that are !

The easiest and most beneficial green movement, is getting people out of cars. Eases congestion and would help environment massively. As transport here is so appalling , there is a lot of low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

spacetweek wrote: »
    Bridge from NI-Scotland. We should of course be building one between Ireland and wales :)

I don't think a bridge from NI to the UK has been mentioned in the RoI general election campaigns, has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why would I get a train to Galway when the bus is little more than 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I just read the Dublin commuter group proposals. You need a few of that lot running for election. Not the morons that are !

The easiest and most beneficial green movement, is getting people out of cars. Eases congestion and would help environment massively. As transport here is so appalling , there is a lot of low hanging fruit.

I actually don't think the political and legal environment in Ireland allows for any major rail/bus projects to go ahead. I don't think Metro will happen, it will be scrapped in the next recession, and bus connects annoys some posh people so they'll be objecting to that constantly.
    Plus I think a massive percentage of Irish people just want to drive their cars everywhere, traffic or not. So it's pretty hopeless.

I actually don't think the political and legal environment in Ireland allows for any major rail/bus projects to go ahead. I don't think Metro will happen, it will be scrapped in the next recession, and bus connects annoys some posh people so they'll be objecting to that constantly.
    Plus I think a massive percentage of Irish people just want to drive their cars everywhere, traffic or not. So it's pretty hopeless.
    It’s one of the reasons I’m reluctantly voting fg. These projects are scrapped at the hint of a downturn. We need another few years to get them into the building stage , then if things go bang at least the priorities are in the bag. The steady growth also means that the public will make this a bigger issue as things get worse. One big issue with rail , is it doesn’t go into central Dublin. Dart underground , dart expansion and Dublin metro would be a radical transformation!

My door bell is ringing a few times a day. I’d get more out of watching trash day time tv , than speaking to the morons looking for votes. The same crowd who’ve been doing nothing but trying to block development and transport improvements over the last few years. These people knocking at your door are the problem, not the solution !

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is there a number on it? Rail track costs an awful lot.

So do roads, it's odd that rarely get mentioned

Advertisement