Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous #GE2020 promises

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Idbatterim wrote: »
    these "poor" you talk of, would get far less in other countries and pay more. They are one of the prime reasons, that so many hard workers are screwed themselves here. That is exactly what I suggest a poll tax. My gf LPT is E90, they give away E260 most years to everyone on welfare, with the welfare hike. I dont see the point of having an LPT, with the current pittance it generates and the abuse of the system, as lyons points out. obviously those in social housing dont pay it etc. Scrap it, it benefits and rightfully so, those already paying in, far more than they should...

scrapping a property tax, anywhere else would be seen as insanity! but in ireland, the system is insane, introduce it and it becomes a ticking time bomb, being passed around a circle, nobody wants to increase it etc... get rid of it, it bring in 500,000,000 a year, the waste far more than that on budget increases every year

Property tax is a wealth tax and is paid on assets that cannot be hidden and is collected by the all-seeing Revenue. The very wealthy that live in tax havens abroad still pay LPT here. A pity that it is a pittance.

Properly structured, and moved away from political interference, and set at a rate of about 1%, it would be a good basic tax. It could allow the standard rate of income tax band to be raised significantly. It would also allow local authorities to fund much better and much needed local services.

VAT is not political except for small issues, but there is no major campaign against it. However, should VAT be charged on new houses?

However, the bin charges caused a ructions from the left parties of protest, but that has died down and nearly everyone pays them.

LPT needs reform, not abolishing.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They are one of the prime reasons, that so many hard workers are screwed themselves here.
    "hard workers" pay less tax in Ireland than most comparable EU nations. Why do people, who are using the internet where a simple search can provide the correct information, instead insist on posting clearly unfactual nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Be interested if somebody could define "hard worker".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I'm sure we can get into a discussion of future proposals for the Green Line at some later stage, and perhaps also Mr Ryan's views in 2004 - 16 years back - but the current thread is about party manifestos, and my query is about the Greens' logic of building a metro line between Ranelagh and the Southwest of the city.

I feel it would just be more sensible to build such a line directly between the centre and the Southwest. I can't see why there is a need to faff around with building it to any station in Ranelagh, or any other station in the Southeast of the city.

Of course a southwest option is viable, it just needs some political will, and it would certainly take more time to get to what we currently envisage as 'completion'. To date it doesn't yet seem to have registered with the decision makers that the higher population densities on the southside are in places like Terenure, Rathfarnham, Firhouse and Knocklyon, rather than in Dundrum, Clonskeagh and Sandyford, which are already very nicely served by rail transport.

But I am hopeful that it will eventually register.

And, in relation to this thread, I remain pretty much bamboozled by the Greens' logic behind a metro line to the Southwest via Ranelagh. Puzzled, at least.

Those areas are poorly served. The first two have quite a few buses, but are crammed in the morning, and the last two have relatively few buses, and just buses at that, and extraordinarily crammed in the mornings, for a slow journey into town or wherever. There was to be a sort of shuttle bus from where I am to the Luas, mostly alongside the Poddle, but objections, and God knows what, put paid to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

"hard workers" pay less tax in Ireland than most comparable EU nations. Why do people, who are using the internet where a simple search can provide the correct information, instead insist on posting clearly unfactual nonsense?

it may be true, that they pay less, but is there any other country, where they get no or such shoddy services in return for their tax?

• Advertisement
Advertisement