Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Really? Can't find anything on the web and it was only supposed to open today last I heard.

Maybe that was the "official" opening? An official opening can sometimes occur after something has actually opened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JohnC. wrote: »
    Maybe that was the "official" opening? An official opening can sometimes occur after something has actually opened.

The article I linked to said it opened yesterday but the official opening is tomorrow. I'd still have expected to find more stuff on the web about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I was in it yesterday, it’s impressive. Bigger McDonald’s than usual, no Cantina.

It’s a pity (I love Cantina) but I can understand why. If you go into Fermoy or Tinryland there’s never a sinner at Cantina and McDonalds does be rammed. Same as the Applegreens, you’ll always walk straight up and get served at a Chopstix but Burger King is rammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

It’s a pity (I love Cantina) but I can understand why. If you go into Fermoy or Tinryland there’s never a sinner at Cantina and McDonalds does be rammed. Same as the Applegreens, you’ll always walk straight up and get served at a Chopstix but Burger King is rammed.

Cantina tastes more like a kebab than a burrito, after boojum they are all dissapointments.

• Advertisement

Cantina tastes more like a kebab than a burrito, after boojum they are all dissapointments.

Even better :pac:

I have never seen or heard tell of a boojum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Even better :pac:

I have never seen or heard tell of a boojum though.

You havent lived, good few of them in dubla next time you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

You havent lived, good few of them in dubla next time you are there.
    One in Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is true. How Boojum have not expanded more than they have, I don't know.

Someone in the Kilcullen one is really into Halloween. The mannequin with the bloody crucifix rammed through it on the middle of the roundabout on the way in is some touch.

6vHyXdA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

marno21 wrote: »
    Wide 2 lane is WS2, 5 meter lanes and 2.5 meter hard shoulders. Monstrously wide road but still 2 lanes. From 2008 on WS2 was replaced with 2+2

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692811

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Really impressed with the Kilcullen service area.
    Love the Halloween props too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

STIG83 wrote: »
    Really impressed with the Kilcullen service area.
    Love the Halloween props too!!

I thought it was very dark inside. The black or grey ceilings don't help. My favourite would be the M9 exit 7 near Goresbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I thought it was very dark inside. The black or grey ceilings don't help. My favourite would be the M9 exit 7 near Goresbridge

Which is not a TII Motorway Service Area - meaning they've a lot more freedom in what they can do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

NedNew2 wrote: »

Paulstown? One of the better services as it has a decent choice of eateries. Cantina or McDonalds at J5 are of no interest to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder why McDonalds has been blacked out of the signs for the Athlone MSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

flazio wrote: »
    I wonder why McDonalds has been blacked out of the signs for the Athlone MSA?
    according to the roads manual released last August, so barely 4 months ago, theres no provision for logos of service providers on motorway signs.
    https://assets.gov.ie/34713/2838d2cb74114383b0a5e4f42561ae89.pdf

I'd presume that'd be the reason.

Strange that the UK (and France and Germany and Italy and I dont know who else) allows branding to allow the motorist to make an informed choice - but Ireland doesnt.

Still on signs for services, the advance notice of just 1km is also far too short (although I am fairly sure I also saw ones at 2km on some motorway or other).
    In France you get a nice long notification 8 or 10 km before a service so plenty of time to ask the kids 10 times to finally get an answer whether they need to go to the toilet or take a break!

Another neat thing the French do is to have a compact rest area right after a toll booth. You'd often see motorists in Ireland simply park up to the side of the road after a toll booth, either for a quick break/rest or to water the weeds, which shows theres a demand for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Another neat thing the French do is to have a compact rest area right after a toll booth. You'd often see motorists in Ireland simply park up to the side of the road after a toll booth, either for a quick break/rest or to water the weeds, which shows theres a demand for it.

We have parking areas for rest, but they are not provided with any toilet facilities. Surely that would be simple to rectify.

I see on the new section of the M11 south of Gorey they have provided parking areas, but they are for Garda use only.

according to the roads manual released last August, so barely 4 months ago, theres no provision for logos of service providers on motorway signs.
    https://assets.gov.ie/34713/2838d2cb74114383b0a5e4f42561ae89.pdf

I'd presume that'd be the reason.

Strange that the UK (and France and Germany and Italy and I dont know who else) allows branding to allow the motorist to make an informed choice - but Ireland doesnt.

Still on signs for services, the advance notice of just 1km is also far too short (although I am fairly sure I also saw ones at 2km on some motorway or other).
    In France you get a nice long notification 8 or 10 km before a service so plenty of time to ask the kids 10 times to finally get an answer whether they need to go to the toilet or take a break!

I haven’t seen any here that don’t have a sign 5km in advance. Usually close to a Tiredness Kills sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is 80KM enough notice for you? ;)

YBXIa8L.jpg

(Thanks to user m17 for the photo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

You could also get an old trailer/container, paint it up with your brand name (say oh, something like Supermacs), then put it in a field beside the motorway well in advance of a service area.
    Oh wait..

serfboard wrote: »
    Is 80KM enough notice for you? ;)

YBXIa8L.jpg

(Thanks to user m17 for the photo)

Maybe they should add the travel time in minutes to each MSA to VMS signs, something like this:

variable-message-sign-2_352.jpg

In this case, assuming an average speed of 120km/h, it would take you 9.5 minutes to get to the nearest MSA near Kiltullagh, and 40.5 minutes to get to the one at Junctions 7/8 outside Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What advantage would a very variable measure like that have over a fixed distance measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

RSA wouldn't just assume you were travelling at the maximum limit.

flazio wrote: »
    RSA wouldn't just assume you were travelling at the maximum limit.

VMS messages like that one are used in the UK. The estimated travel time to a destination displayed on the VMS takes into account current traffic conditions.

A VMS could show both distance and estimated travel time based on current traffic conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

VMS isn't needed. 81 km is the opposite extreme, it's too early to be saying it. The brands should probably be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

VMS isn't needed. 81 km is the opposite extreme, it's too early to be saying it. The brands should probably be shown.

I always thought it was mainly telling you that "The next Services aren't for ages after these next ones, so you might need to get fuel/go to the toilet at these next ones" etc..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the 81 km is another way of saying this is your last chance for a long time.

Edit: Beaten to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

VMS messages like that one are used in the UK. The estimated travel time to a destination displayed on the VMS takes into account current traffic conditions.

A VMS could show both distance and estimated travel time based on current traffic conditions.

We have done it here for time to junctions on the m50, M1 and other roads for years too so it's not like it's new

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    We have done it here for time to junctions on the m50, M1 and other roads for years too so it's not like it's new

Good, more of it please, and VMS signs that have enough space to always show the distance/estimated travel time to the nearest services, in addition to information about other destinations.

Advertisement