Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020 - Carlow/Kilkenny. See Mod Note in post 1

Options
  • 14-01-2020 1:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭

At the time of writing, bar a few independents that will likely come along. These are the candidates in Carlow/Kilkenny for the February 8th election

Who is getting your number 1?

MOD NOTE:
    Lets keep it civil and on-topic. No name-calling or other childish carry-on.
    Be aware of libelous comments - big claims require big evidence!

If you are in any way involved with the local candidates or political parties you must declare this before you engage in the discussion.

Any misbehaviour will be dealt with swiftly and without further warning.

Who will get your Number 1? 85 votes

Aylward, Bobby (Fianna Fail)
    55% 47 votes
    Deering, Pat (Fine Gael)
    5% 5 votes
    Funchion, Kathleen (Sinn Fein)
    5% 5 votes
    Hynes, Denis (Labour)
    10% 9 votes
    McGuinness, John (Fianna Fail)
    3% 3 votes
    Murnane O'Connor, Jennifer (Fianna Fail)
    1% 1 vote
    Noonan, Malcolm (Green Party)
    1% 1 vote
    O'Neill, Melissa (Irish Freedom Party)
    8% 7 votes
    O'Neill, Patrick (Fine Gael)
    1% 1 vote
    Phelan, John Paul (Fine Gael)
    0% 0 votes
    Wallace, Adrienne (People Before Profit)
    5% 5 votes
    Other
    1% 1 vote
    Spoiled Vote
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Oh god, really is a shallow pool to choose from. Probably go fg 1,2,3 but cannot see myself giving any preference to the greens, sf, or far lefties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Murnane O’Connor was quick of the mark today, she called to my house this evening. Whoever is doing her posters deserves an award for their airbrushing skills, she looks like the mother of the person on the posters when met in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Pretty poor group in fairness. I dont know who gets number one yet. One think I know is Carlow needs somebody even if it is deering again. The one think I would say about O Connor, she speaks alot about Carlow and would show up at the opening of an envelope. But would she be better than Deering??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why have we such desperate candidates here? They’re all ranging from atrocious to mediocre at best.
    The incumbents are the laziest, most inept church mice we’ve had in years. No new energy or vision for the constituency whatsoever. A very poor field indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

*scans list*

All I see are parties who want to tax me more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Carlow based ones are terrible with Deering being the best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

griffin100 wrote: »
    Murnane O’Connor was quick of the mark today, she called to my house this evening. Whoever is doing her posters deserves an award for their airbrushing skills, she looks like the mother of the person on the posters when met in real life.

Her new office on Tullow St.'s running alongside her old/current one at Bagenal Ct.

She opened it just before Christmas; guess she wanted a prominent location in run up to a G.E.; **think** it's owned by Dinn Ri company or a tangent of same?

Fianna Fail on the door but the huge window or sign over both door & window???? No sign of the FF name or logo......

While I share some social issues with Cllr. Wallace her behaviour & those of her mob in Summer 2017 & Summer 2018 at those homeless/eviction protests mean I wouldn't vote for her if only name on paper; she doesn't transfer to Kilkenny which is a big county in itself & is why Bobby & John split things; it's why Cllr. Patk. O'Neill & JP will do so too.

Wallace is their only candidate almost by default; there's really nobody else in the party & I doubt much need for a selection convention.

During Locals in May her buddy (CC Lecturer too) also ran in Kilkenny; both come across as simply Playing Politics; lifetime activists; against this, against that & not very often in favour of much; the PBP way.

Am Voting 1 Cllr. Malcolm Noonan; he's been banging the Green drum since long before he was 1st Elected in 2004 & has been consistently on side of issues I agree with across the constituency & nationally; the GP get flak over the 1 Village 1 Car quote which I think was taken out of context and far too literally; the vegan & indeed vegetarian thing is poo-poo'ed far too easily too; yet we could all do with eating more (fruit and) veg; this doesn't have to by association mean reducing our meat intake.

As for ex Co. Cllr. Melissa O'Neill running for IFP? Give me strength; ran in Co. Waterford & Co. Kilkenny in May; failed in one, lost seat in other; then thought she'd chance her arm in Co. Wexford Bye-Election; how many times does it have to take for her to understand people're saying no?

Kathleen Funchions seat is in danger for sure; that's where Sen. Murnane might make ground; SF lost all their Cllrs. bar one in the constituency in May & they repeated this across the constituency; bar Cllr. Mark Ward making gains in Dub. West/NW Bye-Election in November, they've also haemmoraged TDs since 2016 incl. big vote getters like Peadar Toibín & to a lesser extent Carol Nolan in Laois Offaly; formerly it was just Offaly mind so she mightn't hold her seat s a result since she's gone Ind. Gerry Adams & Martin Ferris are also bowing out & so's Jonathan O'Brien in Cork; they'll struggle to get those sort of figures in those seats & for Mark Ward he's going up against Eoin O'Broin who's a shoe-in; SF are playing a dangerous game running both.

Could end up being 3 FF, 2 FG but I hope for 1 GP & then maybe it'll go 2 FF & 2 FG; chances of McGuinness losing his seat're too slim sadly.

One thing on the "Other" option there; candidates've about another week to lodge papers I think?

Now by now if you're not out on the doors you're at nothing & most've been canvassing in some shape or form since last Summer; Cllr. Wallace declared herself as early as Nov. 2017.

But might the Renua & Aontú LEA candidates who ran in Tullow & Carlow respectively go in a General Election?

Think they might be better off not; doubt the parties've the finances & as they're both teachers the time to canvass will be limited too.

I think the Labour guy Hynes from Goresbridge will do well. He straddles both counties in an area with a strong labour tradition. He polled surprisingly very well in the locals and comfortably took a first time Council seat- a definite dark horse, is affable but fishing of course in the same pond as Murnane, Funchion and Mcguinness for that vote

• Advertisement

Problem for Sinn Fein is the IRA legacy; it's not complete history obviously & very current even if it doesn't feature in the media unless it's an incident like Lyra McKees death.

Problem for Sinn Fein in CW-KK is Kathleen Funchion is one of the most incompetent TDs they've got; in our area she's flattered to deceive when she hasn't the stiffest competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I see two candidates on that list, sitting TDs - John McGuinness and Bobby Aylward who both voted against the holding of the Repeal the 8th referendum. Whilst they are perfectly entitled to hold their own personal views, they were elected to represent their constituents. There was clear evidence that the public wished to have their say again on the matter, one way or the other. And I have full respect for either position on the matter. But given that they tried to stop that referendum, I personally don't think they are fit to represent the people of Carlow/ Kilkenny.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I see two candidates on that list, sitting TDs - John McGuinness and Bobby Aylward who both voted against the holding of the Repeal the 8th referendum. Whilst they are perfectly entitled to hold their own personal views, they were elected to represent their constituents. There was clear evidence that the public wished to have their say again on the matter, one way or the other. And I have full respect for either position on the matter. But given that they tried to stop that referendum, I personally don't think they are fit to represent the people of Carlow/ Kilkenny.

Thanks Barry; you can add Sen. Murnane O'Connor to that also; she joined her FF TD colleagues in voting against holding of such a referendum no matter that such a vote in the Dail & Seanad was symbolic & perfunctory & not likely to pass due to the numbers in favour of holding it.

Democracy only when it suits certain individuals it seems.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Thanks Barry; you can add Sen. Murnane O'Connor to that also; she joined her FF TD colleagues in voting against holding of such a referendum no matter that such a vote in the Dail & Seanad was symbolic & perfunctory & not likely to pass due to the numbers in favour of holding it.

Democracy only when it suits certain individuals it seems.

Is that correct? Did Jennifer Murnane O'Connor also vote against that the holding of that referendum in the Seanad?

Is that correct? Did Jennifer Murnane O'Connor also vote against that the holding of that referendum in the Seanad?

Not only that she stood like a Cheshire Cat with 30 other FF deputies in a photo call actively calling for a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I know Jennifer M'OC vaguely, decent person who has made herself very visible in and around Carlow Town in recent times. She appeals to a conservative side of the population and will hoover up a lot of votes as a result. Trouble is she won't get transfers from the 2 Kilkenny FF candidates, that hit her the last time. I know some people have an issue with her on abortion but for many older people that will actually be an attraction.

The Sinn Fein civil war in Carlow will cost Funchion big time. Can't see John Cassin and his cronies out campaigning for her. It'll be interesting where those votes go, will they go left or will they go to Carlow candidate

McGuiness will get in, Deering in a better position this time around again, especially with the boundary changes and that may help Murrane also. I still think hes a bit of an eejit though.

So 2 FF, (McGuiness and Awlyward), 2 FG (Phelan and Deering) and the 5th between Funchion, JMOC and Malcom Greene although it wouldn't take much for one of the FG seats to fall into the mix at the end as well

For those giving out about the candidates and their quality, still a week for you to get your nomination papers in. !!

In relation to the Senator I recently found three posts I'd saved from end of May 2017 about her & the local FF branch/cumann seeking a Social Media Volunteer & with the requirements they were/she was clearly making eyes at the Media & PR course students in the IT.

Quite why Carlow Volunteer Centre carried a political ad for volunteers when, for the initially suggested duration required, 2 hours a week, the Senator could surely've flipping paid them, is beyond me.

Her latest schtick is to post a video from her Tullow St. office about Womens Aid facing potential closure (probably a bit wide of the mark but it's election season so it goes unchecked as such at local level); this is a Senator who didn't attend the Womens Refuge Rally in December & who then posted a comment, hastily edited, about the lack of numbers at the protest.
    She said did you ever wonder why, with a pop. of 25,000 in Carlow town & surrounds there was only around 50 at it (she wasn't one; her non-appearance was being questioned) & went on to say "I believe the people of Carlow have no faith in these type protests".....

No odds up yet on Paddy Powers website for CW-KK but 2016s will be broadly similar.

They were: McGuinness (FF) 1/8 Funchion (SF) 1/7 Bobby Aylward 2/9 John Paul Phelan 2/9 Pat Deering 4/9 David Fitzgerald 4/9 Ann Phelan 11/4 Jennifer Murnane O'Connor 7/2 Patk. McKee 9/2 Malcolm Noonan 12/1 Conor Mac Liam 33/1 Adrienne Wallace 50/1 Noel Walsh 100/1

No David Fitzgerald this time round so I'd swap in Cllr. Malcolm Noonan (GP) there perhaps?

Cllr. Wallaces odds'll change; she wasn't elected back then obviously; she'd ran in Bye-Election 2015 too.

Patk. McKee is gone from political scene completely.

Conor Mac Liam's no longer in politics but still an activist, Noel Walsh is well, Noel.

Ann's gone; does something with water now; it's a semi State body.

But the outgoing TDs will broadly remain same in terms of odds bar Kathleen Funchion & Sen. Murnane; Funchion was a KK Co. Cllr. @ the time, Sen. Murnane was a Carlow Co. Cllr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

McGuiness will get in, Deering in a better position this time around again, especially with the boundary changes and that may help Murrane also. I still think hes a bit of an eejit though.

Have you ever spoken to him? He comes across much better in person than on media.

I’m looking at one of the progressive parties. I think ff/fg need reining in a bit. FG are good with the economy but they need to sort out the housing and health. Climate and public transport are the other big issues for me. I do not know why cars are still being prioritised above all else. Every single county engineer and planner should be made to cycle and take wheelchairs and buggies around our towns and cities.

fits wrote: »
    Have you ever spoken to him? He comes across much better in person than on media.

I’m looking at one of the progressive parties. I think ff/fg need reining in a bit. FG are good with the economy but they need to sort out the housing and health. Climate and public transport are the other big issues for me. I do not know why cars are still being prioritised above all else. Every single county engineer and planner should be made to cycle and take wheelchairs and buggies around our towns and cities.

Without a good economy and strong tax revenue we will never ever solve those issues- remember that.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Without a good economy and strong tax revenue we will never ever solve those issues- remember that.

Well duh !

Well duh !

Great input there- well done.

Great input there- well done.

Ok well either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael are going to be in power aren’t they. That’s a given. Our vote is proportional representation so one can vote for the kind of government they would like to see in place. For me that’s a party that’s good on economy in coalition with a sensible progressive party. I also consider the particular individuals running. I couldn’t vote for any of the ff candidates in cw kk as I don’t think they are good politicians. SF out also. So I’ll figure it out between the rest.

Helena Byrne of Renua who ran in Tullow LEA has now thrown her hat into the ring to make it 12 candidates.

I know Jennifer M'OC vaguely, decent person who has made herself very visible in and around Carlow Town in recent times. She appeals to a conservative side of the population and will hoover up a lot of votes as a result. Trouble is she won't get transfers from the 2 Kilkenny FF candidates, that hit her the last time. I know some people have an issue with her on abortion but for many older people that will actually be an attraction.

The Sinn Fein civil war in Carlow will cost Funchion big time. Can't see John Cassin and his cronies out campaigning for her. It'll be interesting where those votes go, will they go left or will they go to Carlow candidate

So 2 FF, (McGuiness and Awlyward), 2 FG (Phelan and Deering) and the 5th between Funchion, JMOC and Malcom Greene although it wouldn't take much for one of the FG seats to fall into the mix at the end as well

For those giving out about the candidates and their quality, still a week for you to get your nomination papers in. !!

It's a depressing list of candidates - Hobson's Choice no matter where you look.

Helena Byrne of Renua who ran in Tullow LEA has now thrown her hat into the ring to make it 12 candidates.

Heard her on the radio earlier in the year worried about Carlow Pride- in fairness she backed down once she went on KCLR and highlighted how ridiculous she was being. I’d say extreme conservative tendencies, I’m assuming she was anti 8th repeal by the sounds of her also

It's a depressing list of candidates - Hobson's Choice no matter where you look.

Pretty dismal. Carlow Kilkenny is extremely apolitical and people here tend to potter along with her own lives. Contrast that with places like the west and even Waterford where the electorate seem to expect life altering actions from Dáil Éireann. I think we don’t feel that removed from Dublin so there’s not the same disconnect perhaps

Heard her on the radio earlier in the year worried about Carlow Pride- in fairness she backed down once she went on KCLR and highlighted how ridiculous she was being. I’d say extreme conservative tendencies, I’m assuming she was anti 8th repeal by the sounds of her also

Spot on; Renua are anti Repeal the 8th.

Also she's a video up on her Facebook page (she's two; personal & political) attending one of the Dóchas Protests in past month in support of A***** R**.

(Asterisking her name out but most will know who it is I'm talking about if from Carlow town; just don't know what correct protocol is on naminig people on here who, in theory, aren't in public eye; that said she's not shy of generating her own publicity....)

Her latest schtick is to post a video from her Tullow St. office about Womens Aid facing potential closure (probably a bit wide of the mark but it's election season so it goes unchecked as such at local level); this is a Senator who didn't attend the Womens Refuge Rally in December & who then posted a comment, hastily edited, about the lack of numbers at the protest.

Thats actually also been reported elsewhere, a story about Tusla refusing to recruit a staff member for it and wanting them based in Kilkenny so there is some issue there.

• Advertisement

Yep, I have spoken to him a couple of times, it reinforced my view.

Advertisement