Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020 - Carlow/Kilkenny. See Mod Note in post 1

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Sen. Murnane has a post up advertising lifts to, and presumably from, polling stations for those with difficulties getting to one and advising re weather.

Wonder will you be required to prove you voted for her to get a lift back home?

Standard practise from all the main parties, it's been done for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I had a conversation with Jennifer yesterday. I asked her tell me "what have you done for Carlow workers" she went on look at her Facebook she always puts pictures up I then said it's easy to show up for a picture and be fine in 2 minutes, she didn't know what to say and a man from her party jumped in and started saying everything she has done.

This chap was young, had a bread I didn't get his name but by God he was a better speaker and seemed more down to earth than any other ff candidate. He had fire in his belly.

Looking at all the videos of jmoc she is a dreadful speaker and clearly reads of a script. Someone else writes for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Looks like sf just might have good election and keep their seat.

Am surprised at how many people have said they are voting for them even though they have misgivings and are not actually supporters of the party or its leadership

iano.p wrote: »
    I had a conversation with Jennifer yesterday. I asked her tell me "what have you done for Carlow workers" she went on look at her Facebook she always puts pictures up I then said it's easy to show up for a picture and be fine in 2 minutes, she didn't know what to say and a man from her party jumped in and started saying everything she has done.

This chap was young, had a bread I didn't get his name but by God he was a better speaker and seemed more down to earth than any other ff candidate. He had fire in his belly.

Looking at all the videos of jmoc she is a dreadful speaker and clearly reads of a script. Someone else writes for her.

I saw her compere a charity event in the 7 Oaks last year and she good, witty and engaging, bright and bubbly at it. Maybe the issue here is that she had to read from a script??. Have to say, the night she called to my door as well (so far the only candidate who has- where are the rest of them?) she was easy to chat with.

Anyway, does it altogether matter? After all, the 2 Healy Raes come across as the 2 biggest gombeens you could find but ask anyone in South Kerry and they'll tell you that they deliver. I'd much sooner a couple of those for Carlow then smoothies like Leo or Eoin Murphy who are well able to talk but look at the state of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I saw her compere a charity event in the 7 Oaks last year and she good, witty and engaging, bright and bubbly at it. Maybe the issue here is that she had to read from a script??. Have to say, the night she called to my door as well (so far the only candidate who has- where are the rest of them?) she was easy to chat with.

Anyway, does it altogether matter? After all, the 2 Healy Raes come across as the 2 biggest gombeens you could find but ask anyone in South Kerry and they'll tell you that they deliver. I'd much sooner a couple of those for Carlow then smoothies like Leo or Eoin Murphy who are well able to talk but look at the state of the country
    Was that the fashion show where she gave up her free time for the IWA, she did quite well, was at it myself.

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Was that the fashion show where she gave up her free time for the IWA, she did quite well, was at it myself.

No, Pres school band one.

Again, another tick in her box if she turns up and supports these kind of charity events

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Jennifer has a woeful record of attendance at the seanad as at the housing committee meetings, when she was asked about it she said sure aren't I here in Carlow doing things for the locals. Dail Eireann is where change happens IMO not down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

A vote and a pint:)

OFF TO THE PUB: The polling station at Kildavin National School in Carlow is without electricity since this morning due to a power outage. It's understood the polling station, which has 1 booth, is being relocated to Conway's pub, also the village
    @rtenews
    #GeneralElection2020

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Final tally from CW KK. A huge result for Sinn Fein with Funchion almost doubling her 2016 percentage of first preference votes. Interesting that Murnane O'Oconnor has overtaken Aylward on first preference percentages compared to 2016 also. At best guess, it'll be as you were except for Murnane O'Connor replacing Deering who won't have much of a surplus to help him this time. Noonan has a chance but with all the FF transfers, he'd need a lot from Funchions transfers and I don't think he'll do it.

Funchion, Kathleen SF 23.72%
    McGuinness, John FF 14.47%
    Murnane O'Connor, Jennifer FF 12.50%
    Aylward, Bobby FF 10.42%
    Phelan, John Paul FG 8.65%
    Deering, Pat FG 8.13%
    Noonan, Malcolm GP 6.63%
    O'Neill, Patrick FG 4.67%
    Hayes, Alan IND 3.09%
    Hynes, Denis LAB 3.06%
    Wallace, Adrienne PBP 2.09%
    Byrne, Helena REN 1.35%
    O'Neill, Melissa IFP 0.87%
    Ray, Angela IND 0.33%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Apparently 2500 first preference votes from Carlow went to mcguinness and aylward. Disclaimer: Third hand information.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Apparently 2500 first preference votes from Carlow went to mcguinness and aylward. Disclaimer: Third hand information.

Happens every election. But depends on which boxes they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

5 or 6 Ballot Papers were added to valid poll count out of 500 according to a KCLR Facebook Live this afternoon; out of about 500......

200 were deliberately spolied cos, ye know, "sticking it to the man" or sending out a message that nobody really cares about or wants to hear.

300 then were accidentally spoiled; the person making the comment (not a KCLR staffer) indicated they'd like to see more of Politics included in CSPE/SPHE & to get voting taught; what this person (can't recall name) seems to ignore is that it's as likely to be a seasoned voter as a novice!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Great to see Kathleen Function topping the poll and having a republican T.D. representing the proud people of Carlow and Kilkenny AGAIN !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

How many of elected Kilkenny TD's have a constituency office in Carlow or how many times a year do they pop down to Carlow to hear from the voters of Carlow and their concerns.

Function, McGuinness, Aylward & Phelan have no interst in Carlow or it's people.

How many of elected Kilkenny TD's have a constituency office in Carlow or how many times a year do they pop down to Carlow to hear from the voters of Carlow and their concerns.

Function, McGuinness, Aylward & Phelan have no interst in Carlow or it's people.

Funchion had one on Dublin St.; beside Jennings Opticians/Carlow Cabs (that premises + flats is up for sale) where Fussy Galore is now.

Moved to Bagenalstown; rent & rates're cheaper there.

So she does have a presence in both CW & KK; it doesn't have to be in Carlow town for me; Tullow & Bagenalstown're just as important.

Hard luck to the Ray of Shlte. At least she got a new car outa it.

I see she got a nice spacious Audi Estate - handy for sleeping in when she's back on the streets.

214 1st PVs; her, Melissa O'Neill & Helena Byrne all eliminated after 2nd Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wallace out after count 6

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

She had a office on dublin street for a good while.
    Beaten to it by nokia.

No surprise votes from Carlow went to McGuiness and Alyward, plenty of KK people in Carlow and I would have thought in and around the county bounds (Paulstown for example) there would be a degree of overlap.

Funchin obviously is the big surprise with the scale of her vote. It'll be interesting to see if SF can maintain that across the country long term,especially given SF failed to manage their councilers over the last number of years and the amount in in-party fighting that went on (Carlow being a case in point). A lot of the new ones failed to get elected to the council over the summer so they were not expecting this. A lot of it was a vote for a brand and for something different rather then for the candidates themselves IMO. Interesting times ahead.

Pleased for JMOC, lot of effort over the years. Andrea can go back to getting her name in the Nationalist moaning about everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Pat deering lost his seat, just been knocked out. Bobby alward could be in bother. The greens might just sneak in.

• Advertisement

I didn't vote for her, I didn't want it to happen, but congratulations to her

Now lets see how she manages the difficulty Pat Deering had - trying to make a racket in the back-benches of the governing party (probably)

Malcolm Noonan gets the final seat.

So we have 2 ff, 1 sf, 1 fg, and 1 green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Good to see Malcolm Noonan elected. Wouldn't agree with Greens on everything but my vote would have transferred to him and helped him on the way. Aylward gone is a plus. But once again Carlow is the bridesmaid in terms of representation.

There have been Dail terms in the not too distant past when Carlow had no TD at all. There are many factors why Carlow usually gets 1 TD.

Population wise, Carlow has around 36% of the population of the constituency which translates to under 2 seats. This combined with the generally poor standard of Carlow candidate, and the resultant effect that some Carlow voters do not vote for Carlow based candidates, combined with some of the county not even being in the constituency in some past elections, combined with Carlow being closer to Dublin which possibly gives it a higher percentage of non-native voters than Kilkenny has, then one seat is what you'd expect.

But some other constituency borderline is going to have to be drawn before the next election. The rule is that a TD cannot represent more than 30,000 people - and Carlow/Kilkenny now has 5 TDs representing over 156,000 citizens - or 1 TD per 31,200+ people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Tea Shock wrote: »
    There have been Dail terms in the not too distant past when Carlow had no TD at all. There are many factors why Carlow usually gets 1 TD.

Population wise, Carlow has around 36% of the population of the constituency which translates to under 2 seats. This combined with the generally poor standard of Carlow candidate, and the resultant effect that some Carlow voters do not vote for Carlow based candidates, combined with some of the county not even being in the constituency in some past elections, combined with Carlow being closer to Dublin which possibly gives it a higher percentage of non-native voters than Kilkenny has, then one seat is what you'd expect.

But some other constituency borderline is going to have to be drawn before the next election. The rule is that a TD cannot represent more than 30,000 people - and Carlow/Kilkenny now has 5 TDs representing over 156,000 citizens - or 1 TD per 31,200+ people.

Agree with you about Carlow candidates - found it hard looking down the ballot paper to pick one I'd particularly care to see elected.

Interesting re population and boundaries, wonder what can be done. Could end up worse for Carlow if carved up again but more substantially and added to Wicklow or Laois Offaly? By rights, they should cut up Kilkenny and add to Waterford etc. That'd really get them going:)

Not that the 30,000 seems to make much difference? I've written at various times to elected representatives and think I've only ever received one reply.

Most constituencies are breaking the 30000 rule, a report in the Indo in 2017 identified 24 of them. I presume there is some legal loophole to get around it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Never thought I’d say this but Jennifer murnane is growing on me. I’ve been impressed with her energy, natural demeanor and general
    Positivity I’ve seen and heard in the debates and in radio. I can see why she reels in the votes - comes across as a definite hard worker

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deering wants to stay on the gravy train and get a seat at the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Deering wants to stay on the gravy train and get a seat at the Seanad.

Obviously the bank balance didn't take into account he might not get back in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement