Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020 - Carlow/Kilkenny. See Mod Note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Cllr. Wallace is canvassing in Borris today. Here's her video https://www.facebook.com/AdriennePBPA/videos/599267734189098/

"It's gonna be those non voters who win it for Fianna Fail and Fine Gael"........what now?

She assumes that everyone who won't vote would have voted for her and her ilk. Quite a leap of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I found it interesting driving around various places over the weekend and the sheer lack of posters for Pat Deering around Carlow was surprising. It's a similar situation in other constituencies where it's all posters of Leo and none of the candidates. There is the old saying about all politics being local, I wonder how this "presidential" style campaign will work for FG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

So far all I've got in Carlow town is FG & GP Lit. by post & FF (hand delivered); anyone got anything else from other parties or independents?

Can't imagine Alan Hayes Ind. will be able do much & I'd be shocked if too many this side of constituency know of him; I know he was IT Carlow SU President sometime in last few years.

Lab. were in Borris at weekend; so were PBP; I know the latter has leaflets but unsure if party or personal; don't know re Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No one has knocked on my door yet.

Lots of flyers from An Post and the lads who door to doors flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

No-one around here yet, though we're always an afterthought. Last time Jennifer was here three times, mad keen. Only fliers were the FF and GP from the postman, who is fairly pi**ed off with the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Caller for Pat Deering couldn’t answer as to any of his policies.Waste of time .

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Only one we've had is jennifer herself. No sign of anyone else

Just saw one of the candidates has spent, potentially the €1000 she was aiming for via PayPal; her poster/leaflet says "Kilkenny-Carlow"......

Whatever about Helena Byrne at 40/1 or Melissa ONeill (IFP) @ 80/1 if I was Cllr. Wallace @ 66/1 I'd be embarrassed and on top of this they're all behind AR who's on 33/1; guessing her supporters're having quite the flutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

road_high wrote: »
    Pretty dismal. Carlow Kilkenny is extremely apolitical and people here tend to potter along with her own lives. Contrast that with places like the west and even Waterford where the electorate seem to expect life altering actions from Dáil Éireann. I think we don’t feel that removed from Dublin so there’s not the same disconnect perhaps

Pretty dismal is the lack of regional unity in the Southeast to get services for our region that most other regions take for granted like a University or 24/7 cardiac care.
    Waterford voters agitating for these services to be delivered by government would be life altering for all citizens of the southeast, not just Waterford. Don't we all want to be treated quickly locally(i.e. within our region) if we had heart-attacks rather than die in an ambulance on the road to Dublin or Cork? Do we not all want our kids to have the choice of a University education within our own region?
    Pretty dismal is the "meh" I hear on these issues in Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford while thousands in Waterford give out till we're blue in the face, kicking TD'S in and out of office, marching time after time after time.
    Pretty dismal, yea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Whatever about Helena Byrne at 40/1 or Melissa ONeill (IFP) @ 80/1 if I was Cllr. Wallace @ 66/1 I'd be embarrassed and on top of this they're all behind AR who's on 33/1; guessing her supporters're having quite the flutter?

Wallace scraped into the council really. For all her “activism” she’s not within an arses roar of being a TD. Angie ray is also fishing in the same angry crazy pond. I reckon Murnane has Carlow town sewn up but she’d have to be ahead of Bobby Alyward to get in. Where would FF get transfers after two seats?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Interesting re crowd funding .

Caller for Pat Deering couldn’t answer as to any of his policies.Waste of time .

Often canvassers are just Party people without an in-depth knowledge of party policy. I wouldn’t sweat it I’m sure it’s available online some where or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

She probably took the 1,000 euros she raised on Paypal and put it on herself down the bookies.

She's shaking the donations cup again today, looking for another 1,000 euros to pay for 86,000 leaflets lol. There's only 53,000 households in Carlow and Kilkenny :confused:

She has posters up in Kilkenny anyhow. So maybe it is going to good use!!

Working during GE 2020 link here > https://carlowkilkennyreturningofficer.com/ (Unsure if too late but for future reference; polling station clerks, count staff etc.)

KCLR Live in IT Carlow in morning from 10am-12 Noon; currently 13 out of 14 candidates confirmed to be present; an audience will be in attendance with questions permitted.

KCLR The Farm Show; Matt O'Keeffe will be in the college too asking questions for his show of those who stick around; those who leave or don't answer will surely be noted in this constituency given how the "rurality" is so often referred to.?

KCLRs The Way It Is with Sue Nunn from 6:15-7:15pm is doing 2nd of 3 Thursday Constituency Debates; last week it was Bobby, Helena, Melissa & Patk.; this one & Thursday the 6th will have 5 candidates but who will be on when hasn't been confirmed yet.

I’m not bothered tuning in. I know who I’m voting for and absolutely nothing will convince me otherwise now. SF and to a lessor extent FF have very worrying manifestos that could potentially do enormous harm to the economic well being of the country and consequently all our livelihoods.
    In the last week of the campaign people would want to take a very hard look at the much vaunted “change” we hear about it. As a taxpayer it frankly terrifies me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I’m not bothered tuning in. I know who I’m voting for and absolutely nothing will convince me otherwise now. SF and to a lessor extent FF have very worrying manifestos that could potentially do enormous harm to the economic well being of the country and consequently all our livelihoods.
    In the last week of the campaign people would want to take a very hard look at the much vaunted “change” we hear about it. As a taxpayer it frankly terrifies me

Right now, every extra penny I earn is taxed at 50%. "As a taxpayer [that] frankly terrifies me".

Often canvassers are just Party people without an in-depth knowledge of party policy. I wouldn’t sweat it I’m sure it’s available online some where or other.

But why call at all, in that case ? Just shove the flyer through the letterbox .

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

But why call at all, in that case ? Just shove the flyer through the letterbox .

By calling they might get an idea of what issues are of importance to people. That way they can go back and tell their candidate.

• Advertisement

Why not follow it up with the candidate or find out for yourself? Lift the phone or internet - there’s a world of info out there. I wouldn’t expect a canvasser to have huge knowledge of policy. Why would they?

maccored wrote: »
    Right now, every extra penny I earn is taxed at 50%. "As a taxpayer [that] frankly terrifies me".

Best we are a welfare state. That will only grow under SF et al. So you’ll continue to pay that and indeed potentially a lot more

Attended todays debate; AR & Melissa O'Neill were no shows.

4 Chairs on stage; only ever 3 at a time mind; poor Alan Hayes was put up against Pat Deering & Sen. Murnane; he's out of his depth & I wonder what resources he has, how he's campaigning etc.; while we share a constituency & radio station I'd be shocked people would know who he is; I actually thought he'd been a previous IT Carlow SU President in recent years; turns out it's UCC SU President he was in last 2-3 years.....

Questions were from "Vested Interests" in some cases; I'd imagine these were set up by producer/s or presenter to avoid anything defamatory or inflammatory?

E.G. Financial Advisor from Kilkenny asked re mortgages and other similar matters.

Was rather hoping for off the cuff questions from audience; have a feeling candidates may've been prepped if expecting certain questions though obviously stuff like student accommodation's gonna come up, health issues, homelessness, climate change etc.

Got to know a bit more about Kilkenny Cllr. Patk. O'Neill FG who was also on The Way It Is Candidate Debate with Sue Nunn last Thursday (1st of 3) & while I read the KP (Lamberts on Dublin St.) I still think there's a serious split in constituency; it's quite large relatively speaking and FG & FF both carve different parts of it up; Bobby Aylward Sth. Kilkenny/McGuinness the City mainly, JP Co. Kilkenny full stop but mainly Sth. Kilkenny & Patk. O'Neill Bennettsbridge etc. while Pat's left to all of Carlow.

Rest of 'em must row their own boat; Denis Hynes (SIPTU & Labour) is paddling well in Sth. Carlow since he's well got round Borris, Goresbridge & Gowran not to mention 'Comer where he secured a council seat in May; definite dark horse.

Cllr. Noonan (KK/Green Party) is who I'm voting for; I'm a member, for now, til 1st of April (!) or so of Fine Gael so am voting outside of party lines; can't see myself renewing membership after about 5-6 years and amn't active in anyway; I'd hate to canvass for example; couldn't be dealing with abuse to face on doorsteps or, alternatively the nicey-nicey s**e to your face while as soon's door's closed it'd be "That PD is a right b******s".....

Won't be joining the Green Party mind!

Can't vote SF; they're a party lacking in ambition, who don't want to govern, who are hypocrites in terms of how they vote in Republic & share governance of Northern Ireland; their candidate here is failing to deliver & flatering to deceive in a constituency where she should be easily making it difficult for all; her retiring Cork North Central TD Jonathan O'Brien would wipe the floor with McGuinness et al. Plus there's the IRA connection; no bucking way.

Wallace is too radical & her Summer 2017 & 2018 "Protests" were "up there" with the worst of water protests; she's dropped both cases like a hot potato......

Would rather s**t on my hands & clap than vote FF; the 3 candidates tried deny democracy, however symbolically, by voting no to even holding a Repeal Referendum; it can't just be democracy when it suits a politician.

Debate itself was bland enough; Carlow Chamber of Commerce & Love Carlow has a spokesperson there banging the Vote Carlow drum but when the candidates're not up to much then I'd much rather vote for someone who'll represent me, us, the constituency at a national level better than the current crop; of those JP's my preferred option to PD.

That's Thursday nights briefing done!!!

Why not follow it up with the candidate or find out for yourself? Lift the phone or internet - there’s a world of info out there. I wouldn’t expect a canvasser to have huge knowledge of policy. Why would they?

Well able to do both- but my question remains . Why canvass at all when you don’t know anything at all about the most basic of questions.
    We have noticed here that the only canvassers that even attempt to engage are women .
    Having a leaflet flung at me with without an even cursory show of interest us t going to get that candidate any vote.

Can't recall a political canvass being done at Fairgreen til today; had thought they'd remain a-political?

A certain "Independent" was there this afternoon & for quite a number of hours overall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Can't recall a political canvass being done at Fairgreen til today; had thought they'd remain a-political?

A certain "Independent" was there this afternoon & for quite a number of hours overall too.

Two minutes walk from where she's living..she hardly had to get outa bed. Wasn't she making a nuisance of herself just a few months ago, inside the fairgreen with her placards, proud as punch, as if they had anything to do with Tusla :rolleyes:

A seriously ill woman. Not crazy enough to sectioned, but crazy enough to be repeating the same nonsense ad infinitum. She has only proven how right Tusla were to keep her child far away from her. The angry rants have returned...the PayPal buzz must have worn off.

Zero chance she'll just get a job and behave normally at any point in the future. If she's not mentally capable of holding down a job, she's not capable of minding a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Best we are a welfare state. That will only grow under SF et al. So you’ll continue to pay that and indeed potentially a lot more

not going by their manifesto (which to be honest is all we can go by in regards any party at this stage)

Sweet. Baby. Jebus. Sen. Murnanes talking/shouting at you in this Vote Me No. 1 video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjl-2yL7g4&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3qT8-UQbFRngbqthMDgodxk-7s6Jr2TXqRzPLjVKmN-bWCtuxgHbZc6bQ

Stilted delivery; like she's been denied her script and the autocue's too far away so she's struggling to remember.

You'd imagine along with Twitter/Facebook that politicians'd've a YouTube channel; clearly not in this case and the video title "business D1" is an odd one; D1 may be her result in GE 2020 though!

Using someone elses channel's a bit amateur; even if she'd done it off of Fianna Fails channel (assuming they have one) it'd be more professional.

That's because she is an amateur. To be blunt she sounds like an imbecile speaking/reading tbh. It's "our" not "are"! All fluffy words but no indication of what she will actually do- will she sit down with the IDA and Enterprise Ireland and devise a new plan??? There has been lots of good news stories in Carlow since the recession- Carlow IT, MSD, AutoLaunch have all exapanded considerably and the Live Register has dropped conderably also.

The whole just "Carlow first" thing is a bit silly too as alieniates Kilkenny voters and both herself and Pat Deering did get some last time.

• Advertisement

Sen. Murnane has a post up advertising lifts to, and presumably from, polling stations for those with difficulties getting to one and advising re weather.

Wonder will you be required to prove you voted for her to get a lift back home?

Advertisement