Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

The supposed differences were that in Airbnbs, people can cook for themselves, do washing and work from them if needed. I have never been in a holiday home where all those things weren’t possible. I mean, continue to argue that they’re not analogous. Seriously, knock yourself out. You’re just making yourself look silly. The argument that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation wouldn’t stand up legally.

On the second point, are you a mod? And I’m going off information volunteered by that poster.

If after 80 odd pages of comment, you still cannot see the difference between AirB&B 's and Hotels / Holiday Apartments, then it has been a great waste of time.
    On the second point... It shouldn't take a mod....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

whichever your respective viewpoints, please keep it civil.

If you have an issue with a post please report it. Jay Dee, quit the backseat moderation.

Do not reply to this post. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And where will you find holiday homes? Back in clifden or similar not in a city centre estate which is where people tend to want to stay with Airbnb.

The vast majority of people would disagree with stopping Airbnb the same as the vast majority disagree with the ban on Uber. Anyone I know living in counties that allow Uber absolutely sing it’s praises, it’s a fantastic service which we are denied in this country due to total over regulation.

What the flip has that got to do with anything? Holiday accommodation is holiday accommodation.

I’m happy for Airbnb to stay. I also want it strictly regulated. Believe it or not, it’s not either/or. We need regulations to stop those who will walk over anyone they can they make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What the flip has that got to do with anything? Holiday accommodation is holiday accommodation.

I’m happy for Airbnb to stay. I also want it strictly regulated. Believe it or not, it’s not either/or.

Strictly regulated, to suit an agenda?

The beauty of Airbnb is its simplicity. You book, you pay, you stay, if it’s crap you leave a crap review which puts others off and Host loses out, so it’s in the Hosts best interest to provide a good service.

Which part of that do you want strictly regulated? Or is it to suit an agenda like: Private Property owners have a responsibility to provide accommodation for long term tenants to ease the shortage?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Private Property owners have a responsibility to provide accommodation for long term tenants to ease the shortage?

Who suggested private property owners have such a responsibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk. This key point cannot be highlighted enough.

Some people really do appear to think that landlords aim is to provide housing, it is not. They are proving a service to make money, if another type of service can be provided (i.e. airbnb rather than a long term let) which is better business wise then they will of course choose this as any business would alter their business to suit the market.

You can turn it into a b&b though without planning. I see no reason why airbnb shouldn't have the same exemption. Airbnb is completely incomparable to a hotel, thats the very reason its so popular as it offers a totally different service.

Would this extend to allowing a neighbouring landowner to designate a field opposite your family home as a halting site? Is the issue here that you only experience Airbnb as a customer and not an aggrieved permanent resident?

awec wrote: »
    None of these things are as important as providing homes.

You have alternatives.
    Graham wrote: »

It is not the responsibility of Airbnb property owners to provide homes, or rental accommodation, so their shortage should not be used as a reason to criticise someone who uses their property for this activity.

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why do people like yourself see it as the responsibility of a private property owner to provide rental accommodation or ownership to the public?
    The law says you need planning, the law is being given the consideration it deserves. This seems to irk a lot of people, the reality is that no one likes being told what they can do with their own private property. Many counties, including the one I live in, take this law so seriously that they have NO staff assigned to enforcement.

Surely you understand that these laws were just a sound bite, a show of intention by the Government to do something about their housing policy failures, there seems little political will to do anything about enforcement.

Incidentally, I’m not hypocritical, I don’t think anyone let’s their home just to benefit tourism, it is to make money and to avoid letting to a tenant.
    I don't.

I see it as residential property being used for residential purposes. They don't have to rent it out if they don't want to.

It is not the responsibility of Airbnb property owners to provide homes, or rental accommodation, so their shortage should not be used as a reason to criticise someone who uses their property for this activity.

It's very straightforward.

Owners of residential property have a responsibility to use that property in accordance with the law. This means using it as a hotel is not allowed. Using it as a pub is not allowed. Using it as a nightclub is not allowed. Using it as a brothel is not allowed.

They can rent it out if they want. They can leave it empty if they want. They can sell it if they want. They can use it as a weekend home for themselves if they want. They can let their granny live there if they want.

Providing homes is not private landlords responsibility. It is the governments. It is also the government's responsibility to ensure the law is upheld, and chancers are not allowed to flout planning regulations, and luckily for all involved enforcement of this law will help everyone involved, except of course the chancers themselves. Oh and the tourists, I can't forget the poor tourists.

I don't.

I see it as residential property being used for residential purposes. They don't have to rent it out if they don't want to.

But they do want to. The tenants are just short stay rather than long stay.

• Advertisement

It's very straightforward.

Owners of residential property have a duty to use that property in accordance with the law. This means using it as a hotel is not allowed. Using it as a pub is not allowed. Using it as a nightclub is not allowed. Using it as a brothel is not allowed.

They can rent it out if they want. They can leave it empty if they want. They can sell it if they want. They can use it as a weekend home for themselves if they want. They can let their granny live there if they want.

I have an airbnb, I don't sell alcohol, like most hotels do, I don't have a night club or function room, like many hotels do, I don't use it as a brothel, like certain hotels might, because its not a hotel.

And where will you find holiday homes? Back in clifden or similar not in a city centre estate which is where people tend to want to stay with Airbnb.

The vast majority of people would disagree with stopping Airbnb the same as the vast majority disagree with the ban on Uber. Anyone I know living in counties that allow Uber absolutely sing it’s praises, it’s a fantastic service which we are denied in this country due to total over regulation.

This is of course why there has been such massive uproar about this policy. All those protests, Joe Duffy segments and what not.

In reality, this ban is widely supported which is why the government brought it in, and why they are stepping up enforcement.

I have an airbnb, I don't sell alcohol, like most hotels do, I don't have a night club or function room, like many hotels do, I don't use it as a brothel, like certain hotels might, because its not a hotel.

You're not using it for residential purposes.

This is not complicated, no matter how hard you try to obfuscate things.

But they do want to. The tenants are just short stay rather than long stay.

You mean guests, not tenants. You're running a bed and breakfast, you're not a landlord.

There's no need to continue that particular strawman.

Nobody has suggested property owners have any such responsibility.

Property owners do however have an obligation to ensure the use of their property is in accordance with the planning permission.

This is of course why there has been such massive uproar about this policy. All those protests, Joe Duffy segments and what not.

In reality, this ban is widely supported which is why the government brought it in. It is the same as the rent controls. Widely supported.

Do you think?

Rents rose by an average of 14% last year in Dublin, there hasn't been one enforcement order on an Airbnb host, property numbers being advertised increased and the PP applications are paltry, you ask 100 people on the street what they think of Airbnb regs, I bet a high percentage won't even know what you are talking about. You ask a tenant, no surprise that they favour rent caps, ask a LL, they are against it, ask people who are neither, they don't give a crap.

It just suits an agenda for some, but in reality, both pieces of legislation have made little or no difference.

You mean guests, not tenants. You're running a bed and breakfast, you're not a landlord.

If he was running bed and breakfast he woundn’t require planning or be breaking any rules.

There's no need to continue that particular strawman.

Nobody has suggested property owners have any such responsibility.

Property owners do however have an obligation to ensure the use of their property is in accordance with the planning permission.

So no more mention should be made of property owners being wrong to use their homes for short let while there is a shortage of rental accommodation because it is reducing supply? Good, that should cut out lots of posts on this thread.

I agree, owners should not break the law, in fact to suggest that would be against this forums policy I'll have you know, but until legislation is introduced which makes renting more appealing to Landlords, we should not be surprised if the law is ignored.

So no more mention should be made of property owners being wrong to use their homes for short let while there is a shortage of rental accommodation because it is reducing supply? Good, that should cut out lots of posts on this thread.

The issue is it's not in accordance with planning. The effect of the supply of residential property is one of the negative side effects.

Pretending someone has suggested that it's compulsory to rent out residential accommodation does not help your point.

The issue is it's not in accordance with planning. The effect of the supply of residential property is one of the negative side effects.

Pretending someone has suggested that it's compulsory to rent out residential accommodation does not help your point.

I take your point, and you are correct, no one has said it is compulsory to rent a property previously used for rental accommodation, now being used for airbnb, and you are right, it does not help my point.

Equally, should anyone make the point that it is wrong to change from long term to short term rentals while supply is so low, no doubt you will inform them that it is not the owners responsibility to provide supply, only to obey the law, which of course is pretty much being ignored, but is unlawful.

Is that strawmanning, or steelmanning, I get confused sometimes. Sorry.

• Advertisement

In reality, this ban is widely supported which is why the government brought it in, and why they are stepping up enforcement.

I wouldn’t use protests as a way to judge opinion, there are far bigger issue than Airbnb that nobody would go as far as their front garden to protest over.

As for enforcement, there is zero enforcement. The ban is being totally ignored by all hosts and I expect that to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

As for enforcement, there is zero enforcement. The ban is being totally ignored by all hosts and I expect that to continue.

This is the reason why enforcement will likely increase to combat this

Jamsiek wrote: »
    This is the reason why enforcement will likely increase to combat this

To be fair, a single enforcement would qualify as an increase, so you are probably on solid ground there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Strictly regulated, to suit an agenda?

The beauty of Airbnb is its simplicity. You book, you pay, you stay, if it’s crap you leave a crap review which puts others off and Host loses out, so it’s in the Hosts best interest to provide a good service.

Which part of that do you want strictly regulated? Or is it to suit an agenda like: Private Property owners have a responsibility to provide accommodation for long term tenants to ease the shortage?

People have a right to peaceful enjoyment of their home. An agenda I’m happy to get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The first enforcement order / court case on this matter is coming. Budget was made available only within the last few months. It will take time, but enforcement is coming..,

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The first enforcement order / court case on this matter is coming. Budget was made available only within the last few months. It will take time, but enforcement is coming..,

That is interesting, have you a link to that particular case, has is been filed in a Court?

People have a right to peaceful enjoyment of their home. An agenda I’m happy to get behind.

What would you do if you lived next door to a tenant who is there 365 days a year, causing a disturbance to your peaceful enjoyment? Do all Airbnb guests disturb the neighbours?

What would you do if you lived next door to a tenant who is there 365 days a year, causing a disturbance to your peaceful enjoyment?

I'd start another thread because I'd understand that scenario is not related to short-term lettings or AirBnB.

I'd start another thread because I'd understand that scenario is not related to short-term lettings or AirBnB.

C’mon Graham, the poster is saying Airbnb inhibits peaceful enjoyment. To say the two are mutually exclusive is taking things a bit far. I suspect many would prefer an occasional noisy Airbnb guest that they know will be gone in a few days over a noisy tenant who could be there for months/years and that neither the neighbour nor the landlord can do anything about. Both are more likely to be the exception rather than the norm.

• Advertisement

Let's not pretend the only choices are a bad tenant or AirBnB.

Advertisement