Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election 20 GalwayWest

• 14-01-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭

General election for five TDs held on 08 February
    Ensure you are registered to vote!
    Current reps:
    Connolly Catherine Ind
    Cuív Ó Éamonn FF
    Grealish Noel Ind
    Kyne Séan FG
    Naughton Hildegarde FG

Unclear how many candidates are running, when debates are on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

zell12 wrote: »
    General election for five TDs held on 08 February
    Ensure you are registered to vote!
    Current reps:
    Connolly Catherine Ind
    Cuív Ó Éamonn FF
    Grealish Noel Ind
    Kyne Séan FG
    Naughton Hildegarde FG

Unclear how many candidates are running, when debates are on

All 5 have been underwhelming to say the least, 3/4 seats up for grabs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If there's anything to be said for 4 of them, at least they aren't racists. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone seen an election poster garnishing a telegraph pole yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I'm hoping Fidelma Healy Eames decides to put her name on the ticket. I do love a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Zzippy wrote: »
    If there's anything to be said for 4 of them, at least they aren't racists. ;)

I used to be a big fan of Eamonn's, but the suggestions he made about jail for women and abortions, were a big shock to my system.

I know from experience that it can take a long time for new voters to make it onto the register and I've read that people on the supplementary maynot be able to vote because of the tight margins on this one.

*CHECK YOU AND YOURs ON THE REGISTER OF ELECTORS AND FOLLOW UP IF NOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

topcat77 wrote: »
    I'm hoping Fidelma Healy Eames decides to put her name on the ticket. I do love a good laugh.

A nation holds its breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bredabe wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of Eamonn's, but the suggestions he made about jail for women and abortions, were a big shock to my system.

Indeed, the abortion referendum really showed what religious lunatics O'Cuiv and Grealish are.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'll be voting for Catherine Connolly again.
    I've always been a Labour voter up until the last election, but until Howlin, Burton & Kelly are gone I won't be voting for them again.

Because of impossible to find insurance and rents rise x3, my friend has to retire from her own side of their business.

Understandably, she is very shaky and emotional. Im encouraging her to respond to each candidate and answer each door knock.

She needs the free therapy:D

Mike Cubbard running in GE as Ind.
    Ref, his facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

People Before Profit select Joe Loughnane to contest General Election in Galway West
    https://connachttribune.ie/people-before-profit-select-joe-loughnane-to-contest-general-election-in-galway-west/

Any Official Gov Site with list of canidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Adrian Kavanagh from NUIM's blog is one of the best around:

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2017/04/19/candidates-for-the-next-2017-2021-general-election-by-constituency/

Relevant part quoted below as of today.
    Galway West (5 seats): Deputy Hildegrade Naughten (Fine Gael), Deputy Sean Kyne (Fine Gael), Deputy Éamon O Cuiv (Fianna Fáil), Cllr. Ollie Crowe (Fianna Fáil), Cllr. Niall McNelis (Labour), Mairéad Farrell (Sinn Féin), Conor Burke (Solidarity), Joe Loughnane (People Before Profit), Jessy Kelly (Jessy Ní Cheallaigh) (RISE), Niall O Tuathail (Social Democrats), Cllr. Pauline O’Reilly (Green Party), Nicola Daveron (Renua), Cllr Mike Cubbard (Independent)

A review of potential general election candidates for Galway West in the Galway Advertiser (20th April 2017) reported that Cllr. Peter Keane and John Connolly, who ran in 2016, are likely to be contesting the Fianna Fail nomination to run alongside Eamon O Cuiv in this constituency as the party’s Galway City-based candidate, with a third candidate expected to be running from the Oranmore area. The account also speculates that Cllr. Nial McNeilis will be asked to run for Labour in this constituency, while it also noted that some local Sinn Fein party members would like to see Cllr. Mairead Farrell join Senator Trevor O Clocharthaigh on the Sinn Fein ticket for the next general election.

The Galway Independent (26th July 2017) has noted that Cllr. Peter Keane has declared his intention to seek a nomination to contest the general election at the upcoming Fianna Fail selection convention.

Niall O Tuathail was selected to be the Social Democrats candidate for the next general election at a convention on 27th July 2016,

In late October 2016, it was announced that Pauline O’Reilly would be the Green Party candidate in Galway West, as reported by the Galway Advertiser (26th October 2016).

In November 2016, Nicola Daveron was identified as being the Renua candidate for Galway West – she was also the Renua candidate in that constituency at the 2016 General Election.

Joe Loughnane will be the People Before Profit candidate in this constituency. This selection convention took place in November 2017. This selection was confirmed at a further selection convention which took place in November 2019, as reported by the Galway Advertise (21st November 2019).

Deputies Hildegrade Naughten and Sean Kyne were selected as the Fine Gael candidates at a selection convention on 27th November 2017.

According to the Galway Advertiser (28th November 2017), Labour will hold their selection convention in the Meyrick Hotel on 30th November 2017. Cllr. Niall McNelis is expected to be selected as the Labour Party candidate.

An article in the Galway Advertiser (30th November 2017) identifies Cllr. Mike Cubbard as being a candidate for the next general election here.

Mairéad Farrell was selected as the Sinn Féin candidate at a selection convention on 3rd December 2017. She was unopposed at this. This selection was confirmed at a follow up selection convention on 1st November 2019.

Jessy Kelly was selected as the Solidarity candidate for Galway West at a selection convention on 14th December 2017, but since then defected to Paul Murphy’s new RISE grouping (which remains part of the Solidarity-People Before Profit political grouping). As reported by the Galway Bay FM website (14th January 2020), Conor Burke has been selected to contest Galway West for Solidarity.

A Galway Advertiser (12th September 2019) article predicted that Fianna Fáil would be running two candidates in Galway West at the next general election, with Cllr. Ollie Crowe expected to be the only other candidate to join Deputy Éamon Ó Cuív on the party ticket. Indeed, Deputy Éamon O Cuiv and Cllr. Ollie Crowe were to be the Fianna Fáil candidates selected at the party’s selection convention, which took place in the Galway Bay Hotel on 31st October 2019, as reported on the Galway Daily website (2nd November 2019).

Nominations will close 12:00 21/01/20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ollie Crowe has a huge sign saying "build the bypass" on the grounds of the huntsman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ollie Crowe has a huge sign saying "build the bypass" on the grounds of the huntsman

A big poster out near Carnmore Cross as well, near Glynns Service station/Galway Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Niall Ó'Tuathail (SD) has his posters up on the Quincentenary Bridge.

Shades of Frank Fahey there around 2010
    bypass_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Niall Ó'Tuathail (SD) has his posters up on the Quincentenary Bridge.

Loads up now, a couple of hours later.

Ollie Crowe's team didn't bother putting them above head height. Must want pedestrians to bypass around them.

Hi ollie your first came into public office in 2009.......

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Grealish will top the poll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Same sign at GMIT roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Only Hildegardes seat is up for grabs imo. The other four should be safe enough. All depends where ó Mahoneys and ó Clochartaigh first pref from 2016 will go.

Only Hildegardes seat is up for grabs imo. The other four should be safe enough. All depends where ó Mahoneys and ó Clochartaigh first pref from 2016 will go.

Catherine “for the common good” Connolly will struggle. Main thing she did was highlight her cronyism by give her sister her CC job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think 4 out of the 5 incumbents will be returned. I would suggest only Sean Kyne is at risk. Hildegarde has worked very hard since 2016.

My prediction is
    1. O'Cuiv
    2. Grealish
    3. Naughton
    4. Connolly
    5. Not sure - I'd like to see Niall O'Tuathail get it perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Catherine “for the common good” Connolly will struggle. Main thing she did was highlight her cronyism by give her sister her CC job

I like the way you covered all your bases there by saying CC. It would be embarrassing if you got your county and city mixed up again.
    Anyway Catherine was one of the only TDs in the last Dáil to speak her spake without having to join any alliance. Hopefully some people will have spotted that.

I like the way you covered all your bases there by saying CC. It would be embarrassing if you got your county and city mixed up again.
    Anyway Catherine was one of the only TDs in the last Dáil to speak her spake without having to join any alliance. Hopefully some people will have spotted that.

She came Out with a few sound bits on the tuam babies scandal, tries to piggy back onto Vicky Phelan’s great work and on seemed to have got caught involved in vote gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

She came Out with a few sound bits on the tuam babies scandal, tries to piggy back onto Vicky Phelan’s great work and on seemed to have got caught involved in vote gate.

Ignoring her work on the PAC too I see. That's a real vendetta you got there.

Ignoring her work on the PAC too I see. That's a real vendetta you got there.

Vendetta? Jesus boards is attracting posters the lowest integrity......It’d of a more healthier nature/debate if you told me about her work on the PAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

People Before Profit select Joe Loughnane to contest General Election in Galway West
    https://connachttribune.ie/people-before-profit-select-joe-loughnane-to-contest-general-election-in-galway-west/

ah stop, what drugs are PBP and Joe on at all?

• Advertisement

Harry Magee of the IT, hints that
    Grealish and O Cuiv will get elected
    Pauline O'Reilly will come close to a seat
    Two Fine Gaels seats would be pushing it

Advertisement