Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Comments

Reaching the business end of the table now, where 13 is a lucky number for Rosparkle as it translates into points for a 5th place finish with Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

Pre-listening notes:
    Ah yes I remember this coming out and liking it at the time. I’m not a fan of Muse in general, always found them a bit OTT but this song has a good groove to it.

Listening notes:
    Ah, so the opening line is “ooh baby, don’t you know I suffer?”; I always thought it was “ooh baby, don’t you know I’m so fúcked?” :D Yup, I’m nodding my head and tapping my feet to this, haven’t the faintest idea what the lyrics are supposed to be about but that’s probably not the point. Only bit I’m not keen on is the bit where he does that weird whispery-shout thing before the last chorus and add the end: “supermassive black hoooooole”. Just sounds a bit silly. Otherwise it's all very nice.

Verdict:
    It’s flashy, funky, loud and very enjoyable. More style than substance but that bassline is substantial enough to keep it going. When it finished playing Youtube’s ‘Up Next’ moved on to Knights of Cydonia, which is the kind of overblown pomposity that reminds me of why I don’t care for Muse in general. But this song is still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Can we guess who we think submitted what?

Trigger wrote: »
    Can we guess who we think submitted what?

Absolutely!

13 is unlucky for some, but a 13th place finish in this game means at least you're not in the relegation zone! Marflutter gets 5 points for Blonde Redhead - Pink Love

Pre-listening notes:
    I’ve heard of Blonde Redhead but have never listened to them before. Now's a good as any to rectify this. On we go....

Listening notes:
    Ooh, strange intro. Very unusual sounds coming from those instruments. Hmmm not mad about the vocals here to be honest. I quite like the music and the “bleeps” that permeate throughout thugh Do you need drugs to unlock the full power of this? Feels like that kind of song! :p

Verdict:
    On paper this sounds like something I’d really be into – dreamy, trippy, vaguely shoegazey. Unfortunately the vocals here, particularly the male voice, are putting me off scoring this higher. Get me an instrumental version of this and it will probably jump a few places up the table. Either that or drugs! :pac:

Necro! :pac:

If this was an alphabetical order competition, Aleshark would win every round! But tonight they must settle for 14th place and 4 points with Jim Johnston - Gold Lust

Pre-listening notes:
    A WWE tune? Interesting choice. I’ll be honest, I have never understood the appeal of wrestling. Just not my thing. So no idea how this will go.

Listening notes:
    I was expecting something very loud, intense and in-your-face here. This sounds very calm and melodic for wrestling! Actually sounds more like video-game music than anything else. To me this music conjures up images of wizards, swords and an enchanted forest under moonlight.

Verdict:
    It was quite a nice piece, certainly not the worst way to spend 3 minutes and 49 seconds of my life. But it hasn't made much impact on me, for better or worse. Will I ever actively look to listen to this again? My gut feeling is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm behind again, but enjoying The Raven :)
    Quite Floyd-esque. I didn't like the vocoder but once they lost that it really kicked in

Just missing out on a podium finish is Palka Stephenflame who picks up a still very impressive 4th place and 14 points for Xylø – Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Pre-listening notes:
    Name doesn’t ring a bell…ah a female-led duo tagged with Indie pop, Electropop, Dance-pop, Synth-pop. This sounds very promising…

Listening notes:
    Very nice intro, nice voice on the first verse, this is all going well, now the chorus…oh, feels a little bit flat to me. Was expecting something with more “oomph”. Bit of an anti-climax initially….but it’s sounding better on the second go, will give this a few more spins before making up my mind.

Verdict:
    I reckon this is one that will grow on me a lot after a few listens. It’s got all the ingredients of a really nice tune, just doesn’t quite come together on a first impression. But still a very nice submission overall, strong enough to make me want to check out their other stuff. :)

...Jim Johnston - Gold Lust

Ha ha, love it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Always enjoyed Prince but never really checked him out beyond the popular hits. Gonna check out NPG now so im already winning.

15th place and 3 points go to Marshallazora Satanwest for Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes

The below is just a lyric video because the only copy of the official video on Youtube cuts off randomly a minute and a half before the end (copyright issues, perhaps?) So I'm afraid you don't get to see Halle Berry gazing wistfully at you. Sorry to disappoint!

Pre-listening notes:
    My instinctive reaction upon seeing the words Limp Bizkit is to grimace. I was never mad about the whole nu-metal/rap-metal genre, it always seemed a bit puerile. Having said that, I remember when this song was out and thinking to myself “oh, that’s a bit different”, not realising it was a cover. Been a while since I’ve heard it though.

Listening notes:
    I’m not a big fan of The Who, so this Limp Bizkit cover isn’t as “sacriligeous” to me as it might be to others. One thing I will say about the original is that I’m not keen on the “When my fist clenches, crack it open…” section, to me it sounds like it’s part of a different song and just ruins the flow, so I’m glad Limp Bizkit left that out. Instead they have this weird automated voice thing going “L.I.M.P…DISCOVER” and, dare I say, it actually works better than it should on paper! Fred Durst’s vocals are more bearable on this than any other Limp Bizkit song I’ve heard and he doesn’t try to rap, which is always a plus. Ultimately though this cover is fairly run of the mill.

Verdict:
    It’s undeniable that Limp Bizkit made some awful music and Fred Durst seems like a bit of a knob, but this cover is perfectly adequate and not as horrendous as it could have been. At worst you could say it’s a bit self-indulgent, but it’s still probably far ahead of any original music the band wrote! It could have been a total disaster but instead it falls into the category of “not unlistenable” which, in itself, is as good as Limp Bizkit get.

• Advertisement

Hey Jameslon Barspell, what have you done? It's a nice day to win 3rd place and 15 points for Billy Idol - White Wedding

Pre-listening notes:
    Well this is a bit of a classic, isn’t it? Don’t know a whole lot about Billy Idol but I definitely know this one (and his version of Jingle Bell Rock, but we don’t need to discuss that).

Listening notes:
    Solid bass riff, simple but effective guitar riff, nice snarling vocals. Punky but poppy together. Definitely very-eighties. Also kind of a creepy vibe to it? I mean good creepy, not Gary Glitter creepy. Can imagine it being played at a Halloween party.

Verdict:
    My only gripe with this song is the “hey little sister” bit repeated at the start of every line in the verses – thinking up a few more words surely wouldn’t have hurt? Mix it up a bit, Billy! But overall this is a pretty cracking tune that’s worthy of a very high score.

It could have been a total disaster but instead it falls into the category of “not unlistenable” which, in itself, is as good as Limp Bizkit get.

tumblr_m6sv25khOV1qcqyz1o1_500.gif

On the day that the Oscar nominations came out it's fitting that we take a trip to movies. Alas Lolliclarke doesn't quite strike gold as they get 16th place and 2 points for Les Mis Cast - Red and Black

Pre-listening notes:
    Musicals generally aren’t my thing. I’ve never seen Les Mis, neither the stage musical nor the movie, although my sister’s a huge fan of it. I know “I Dreamed a Dream” (via Susan Boyle) and vaguely know the one that goes “Do you hear the people sing songs of angry men…” (via aforementioned sister) but that’s really about as far as my knowledge of the subject goes. I should note that there wasn’t any specific version of this song noted, so I’ve taken it from the version from the film as opposed to a stage production, as I imagine the latter can vary quite a bit depending on the cast, director etc. Hopefully that’s ok with our submitter.

Listening notes:
    On first listen, this went totally over my head; without knowing anything of the story (only that it’s set in the French revolution) this was just sing-song dialogue with no discernible tune. It seemed to start and stop abruptly to me and while the actors are clearly enunciating for their lives it still lacked the sense of “grandness” I’d expect from a musical number. Reading the lyrics while listening/watching again did help – I now know this lad Marius has the hots for some young one but his cockblocking friend reminds him that he has to go and fight a war instead. Sucks to be him. Anyway the song doesn’t do much for me I’m afraid, the “RED…BLACK….RED….BLACK” chorus just doesn’t feel “epic” enough, at least not out of context from the whole production anyway.

Verdict:
    Perhaps if I’d seen the whole movie or if I was in a theatre watching the grand production, I’d feel the energy and passion of this a bit more. It may well be quite a spectacle when watched on the big screen and probably even more on a big stage but as a stand-alone piece I’m afraid this didn’t do much for me. Je suis désolé. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

The song I thought I submitted was not the song I actually submitted ....

Whether that's good or bad you'll have to wait to find out :pac:

Tonight's silver medallist is Hayesshine, who wins 16 succulent points for Pearl Jam - Black

Pre-listening notes:
    My knowledge of Pearl Jam extends as far as Alive and Jeremy. But I do like some grunge from time to time, so this *might* be up my street. Only one way to find out….

Listening notes:
    Aaaaaayyyyy……Eddie Vedder has quite the distinctive voice, doesn’t he? I think it’s a voice one needs time to get used to; my initial reaction is to not want to listen to him singing for too long, but as the song progresses and the tension escalates, when he starts to belt rather than mumble….I find myself much more into it. On first listen I like the second half of this song more than the first half; the ending is really damn good. It's definitely an acquired taste this song: on a repeated listen I'm now enjoying the full package much more from start to finish. Very nice.

Verdict:
    Had to listen to this a couple of times to make up my mind on it, and the repeated listens have definitely helped. It’s left a positive impression on me and made me more likely to listen to some more Pearl Jam (it’s probably quite shameful that I haven’t already listened to Ten, given what a famous album it is). So yeah, this is a good’un. Definitely worthy of further airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Thats the second time Black as done quite well on a Walrus, unfortunately I can't claim it this time around :(

Our unlucky 17th place finisher for Round 1 is Yompson Hamoondancer, who gets 1 point for Coldplay - Yellow

Pre-listening notes:
    Oh dear. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I hate Coldplay, because they have written a few fairly decent songs. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them. Chris Martin’s whiney voice is at its whiniest here and I’m afraid a repeated listen of a song I usually go out of my way to avoid won’t help its cause much here. So let’s get this over it….

Listening notes:
    Intro is pretty nice actually, you’re ready for this to kick into gear and be taken some place wonderful….but then he starts singing. >_<; Putting vocals aside, I can respect songs like The Scientist and Fix You because they’re well written. But this one just feels words that rhyme for the sake of rhyming. We have a nice opening line “look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and all the things you do…” so far so good, but then for no reason "…they were all yellow”. Why did you write a song where everything is yellow? Why is your love all yellow? Does she have jaundice? Is this why you’re whining, because you’re sad? This song has always rubbed me up the wrong way unfortunately, and re-listening with fresh ears hasn't done anything to mitigate that.

Verdict:
    Musically this song is fine, it has that going for it at least. Lyrically it aims at sweet and emotional but comes off more like daft, but I could overlook that if it came with a killer vocal. Sadly Chris Martin’s whimpering on this one veers into nails on a blackboard territory. I don’t mind him so much when he sings low but all those squeaky “for youuuuuu” bits go through my head. I fear this will come on or near the bottom of the pile.

Our unlucky 17th place finisher for Round 1 is Yompson Hamoondancer, who gets 1 point for Coldplay - Yellow

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Pretzill wrote: »
    I have a feeling I'm last but I don't care if my name is Hamoondancer

Your wish might have come true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm loving the Coldplay review :D

• Advertisement

And so we come to tonight's winner....

*drumroll*

...congratulations to Kingolas who takes the first gold medal and 17 lovely points for LUH - Future Blues

Pre-listening notes:
    An awful lot of blue in this category, isn’t there? I’m not familiar with this group, though Pitchfork tells me that their debut album is “a vast, swaggering colossus”. Sounds promising….

Listening notes:
    Hmm, not what I’d call swaggering; instead we’ve got a rather downbeat intro, which is fine; I like downbeat. Very cool watery bass, an unusual female vocal kicks in. Can definitely imagine putting this on when sitting alone and feeling a bit down, would fit nicely onto a “get drunk while feeling lonely” soundtrack (ok, nicely might be the wrong word in this context, but you know what I mean!) First 90 seconds is very nice, at the two minute mark the volume is rising but the tempo is staying downbeat. The background riff that plays throughout the song is gorgeous. Male vocals join in and it creates uneasiness and tension, their voices don’t gel smoothly but I think that’s probably the point. Definitely want to hit “replay” on this once it’s ended.

Verdict:
    “This future is unwritten but it still haunts us.” – That’s a very simple line but it works. I really like it. This is going to the top of the list. Bravo, contributor!

Lmao at that write up, "does she have jaundice?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

osh wrote: »
    Your wish might have come true :)

I'm saying nothing...

Nice one Homer, great reveal :)

I managed to follow most live, which is always a pleasure. Looking forward to catching up on the last few tomorrow morning, even last place!

So here's the table after Round 1. I haven't made up the Spotify playlist yet because I'm lazy but I'll have that ready to go soon. :)

Thanks everyone for dropping by, hope you've enjoyed Round One. Hoping to do Round Two, "LOVE - songs" on Wednesday evening so be sure to cancel any other plans ye may have! :p

Rank Alias Colours Love 90's 10's Joker Total Score
    1 Kingolas 17 17
    2 Hayesshine 16 16
    3 Jameslon Barspell 15 15
    4 Palka Stephenflame 14 14
    5 Rosparkle 13 13
    6 Fanghoward 12 12
    7 Spencerpop 11 11
    8 Yollins Roseverse 10 10
    9 Mediphira 9 9
    10 Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 8
    11 Harmony Cullran 7 7
    12 Helraham Jamesorty 6 6
    13 Marflutter 5 5
    14 Aleshark 4 4
    15 Marshallazora Satanwest 3 3
    16 Lolliclarke 2 2
    17 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Good show Homer. Fair play!

Thanks for the reveal Homer, some lovely tunes in there.. looking forward to Wednesday now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The standouts for me from round 1... (I may or may not have included my own submission here - trying not to give anything away at this point, all I'll say is I'm not unhappy with where I ranked anyway)
    Our first song of the evening comes to us from Mediphira who occupies the safe middle ground with 9th place and 9 points for Icehouse - Electric Blue

Amazing Mullet, Fantastically '80s, and just overall a cracking song.
    Our 12th place finisher tonight is Helraham Jamesorty who gets 6 points for Xavier Rudd - Dark Shades of Blue

Really liked this one. Hadn't heard it before. Definitely getting added to some Spotify playlists.
    Fanghoward is gently rapping at my chamber door and as a result wins 12 points and 6th place with Alan Parsons Project - The Raven

Epic. Loved every second of it.
    13 is unlucky for some, but a 13th place finish in this game means at least you're not in the relegation zone! Marflutter gets 5 points for Blonde Redhead - Pink Love

The only Blonde Redhead song I had heard previously was For the Damaged Coda, which is a great song, and this one isn't far off it. Really good.
    Reaching the business end of the table now, where 13 is a lucky number for Rosparkle as it translates into points for a 5th place finish with Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

Great song, know it well, and always nice to hear it when it comes on.
    Just missing out on a podium finish is Palka Stephenflame who picks up a still very impressive 4th place and 14 points for Xylø – Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Best find of the round for me. Definitely my kind of music. Great choice, whoever went for it.
    Hey Jameslon Barspell, what have you done? It's a nice day to win 3rd place and 15 points for Billy Idol - White Wedding

Absolute classic! This song has been following me around for weeks now - every bar/shop/etc I've gone in to recently has played it. Not that I'm complaining, just an observation I made.
    Tonight's silver medallist is Hayesshine, who wins 16 succulent points for Pearl Jam - Black

Eddie Vedder's voice is so unique, always a pleasure to hear him. I agree with Homer that the latter half of this song is what really makes it special.
    And so we come to tonight's winner....

*drumroll*

...congratulations to Kingolas who takes the first gold medal and 17 lovely points for LUH - Future Blues

Nice easy listening track, definitely a good choice, really enjoyed it.

Also, shout-out to whoever submitted Behind Blue Eyes and Yellow... Neither are ones I would've ranked higher than the songs I've mentioned above, but I enjoy both songs, so probably would've had them a bit further up the table myself personally.

Great reveal for Round 1, Homer! Looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great reveal Homer - Well done to the top 3 some good tracks right across this category.

• Advertisement

And here's the Spotify playlist for Round #1, excluding The NPG's Cherry Cherry which doesn't appear to be on Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1Ln8yw4icNBI7hAHyJj16y

Advertisement