Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

there's clear air of people going out of their way to sh1t on this film.

Sure, there’s some, the same way there are some keen to elevate / dismiss this on, say, bad-faith ideological grounds (which is amusing to me, because one of the film’s main flaws is that it’s too cowardly to commit to saying anything in particular - let alone anything remotely interesting - about the themes it touches on, one way or the other).

But most people are being genuine and honest in their views, regardless of where they fall. I respect people like this film a lot, but similarly I honestly can say I’ve seen dozens of films in 2019 that I personally found more interesting, moving or accomplished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It seems only a recent thing that directors are accused of taking a cowardly approach towards making a statement. The film connoisseur that you are Johnny I'd be fairly certain that some of your favourite films are the ones that were ambiguous in their approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sure, there’s some, the same way there are some keen to elevate / dismiss this on, say, bad-faith ideological grounds (which is amusing to me, because one of the film’s main flaws is that it’s too cowardly to commit to saying anything in particular - let alone anything remotely interesting - about the themes it touches on, one way or the other).

If you are saying the film doesn't commit to a particular ideological diagnosis for the social issues it depicts, then I think that's true to a large extent (which is why both left and right have found value in it) but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. The film has more to say than 99 percent of comic book movies - which it still is btw no matter how much it dresses itself up in the aesthetics of the 70s. There's nothing new about what it is saying or how it is saying - it's very much of a film of its time in that regard. I just can't fault it on those grounds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It seems only a recent thing that directors are accused of taking a cowardly approach towards making a statement. The film connoisseur that you are Johnny I'd be fairly certain that some of your favourite films are the ones that were ambiguous in their approach.

Ambiguity can be a wonderful tool for sure, when used well - although I don’t think there’s much in the way of ambiguity here (a few ‘which bits were in his head’ open questions aside, which I personally don’t find particularly worth dwelling on) - it’s a story mostly told in a pretty straightforward and clear way, and that’s meant neither in a good or bad way. My view is simply that the text here isn’t particularly satisfying on the terms it itself sets out. While it has its IMO undeniable pleasures as a visceral, OTT character study, it actually pulls its punches in a few regards... leaving me rather unsatisfied as I left the cinema. Let me stress once again I think the film is perfectly decent and worth a gander - just not much of a lasting impact for me, receiving neither my enthusiasm nor my scorn.
    If you are saying the film doesn't commit to a particular ideological diagnosis for the social issues it depicts, then I think that's true to a large extent (which is why both left and right have found value in it) but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. The film has more to say than 99 percent of comic book movies - which it still is btw no matter how much it dresses itself up in the aesthetics of the 70s. There's nothing new about what it is saying or how it is saying - it's very much of a film of its time in that regard. I just can't fault it on those grounds.

My problem when it comes down to ‘it has little to say’ certainly wouldn’t boil down to whether it’s on the left or right or centrist of whatever - in fact, I’d almost say the ‘incels rise up!!!’ film described in some alarmist takes sounds substantially more interesting and provocative to me than the film we got, even if I’d hate it :p. I’d never subscribe to the idea of films *having* to make some big ideological statement. And yes, I’d completely agree it’s quite a few notches above your average comic book movie - I think that’s the most favourable comparison, even if it’d be below the very top tier for me (especially after seeing the Watchmen TV show, which is the only comic book screen translation I’ve properly adored in quite a few years now). Between this and almost all Marvel fare, I’d pick this and hope it sparks more experiments.

I do acknowledge the character himself is meant to be chaotic and will happily give it some credit for that, but even allowing for that I just don’t think Phillips’ has the chops to do anything with the sort of material he’s overly referencing and toying with. It is still a big studio comic book movie even if the budget’s 50 million cheaper - so while it’s ‘risky’ within the standards of that space I still feel it comes across as a rather cautious and reluctant film in terms of rocking any boats, either for good or for ill. It can’t hope to bat in the same sort of arena as something like Parasite, just to pick one other blackly comic genre movie that explicitly grapples with society’s ills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Clearly this wasn't the worst film released this year, but it was one of the worst film I had seen - cos bar 6 Underground, why would I - or anyone - seek out the genuine garbage dumped into cinemas? After all, most of us choose what we see, unlike professional reviewers who HAVE to watch everything (thus making their own listing of Joker as one of the worst a little questionable).

I've said before that I praise the mere fact this film even exists, and in the manner that it does, I just don't believe the execution worked. As Johnny said, it'd actually have been better had all the pearl clutching about incels been true - as Joker in its final form told a thin, miserable story that ... just was. Kinda felt like an exercise in empty misery while riffing on Todd Phillips' favourite Scorsese films, and a blank cheque to Phoenix to method act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Watched there again at home.
    Well worth a second watch imo.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Clearly this wasn't the worst film released this year, but it was one of the worst film I had seen - cos bar 6 Underground, why would I - or anyone - seek out the genuine garbage dumped into cinemas? After all, most of us choose what we see, unlike professional reviewers who HAVE to watch everything (thus making their own listing of Joker as one of the worst a little questionable).

I've said before that I praise the mere fact this film even exists, and in the manner that it does, I just don't believe the execution worked. As Johnny said, it'd actually have been better had all the pearl clutching about incels been true - as Joker in its final form told a thin, miserable story that ... just was. Kinda felt like an exercise in empty misery while riffing on Todd Phillips' favourite Scorsese films, and a blank cheque to Phoenix to method act.

The story is whichever way you wish to interpret, and seeing it as a story of empty misery is a valid interpretation.

We see absolutely miserable, and mean spirited, depictions of people in countless films every year. You might have seen it "done better" elsewhere but for me it worked fine. Ultimately I could have lived without the film and wouldn't be its most ardent supporter, but I'm glad it was such an unmitigated success for those involved after all the sh1t they had to put up with.

And please don't bring up with the incel stuff ; thankfully that sh1t has died a quiet death. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched this last night wow absolutely blown away. I had read the reviews and put it off but I'm literally scratching my head as to why they are so mixed. The descent of a tortured soul into madness with an award winning performance from Phoenix.
    As much as I would like to see more of Phoenix's Joker I hope there isn't a sequel. I'm not sure where he could go with it without turning it into a batman blockbuster.
    I'm not surprised at the financial success of it, there is a demand for adult comic book movies.

Movie of the year for me, solid 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just heard that Joker has a total of 11 nominations for this years BAFTA's. The most over every other film this year.

That news is literally insane. Pardon my pun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Something weird about this film. I saw it twice in the cinema. Loved it. Put it in my top 5 of the year. Will no doubt enjoy watching it again...

but for some reason the films quality diminishes in my mind over time. I keep finding myself thinking; "Is it really THAT good?"

Perhaps its cos it gets so much attention where so many other excellent films get overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good to see Joaquin already starting to get awards. Also his acceptance speeches are great.

BSyhuXq.jpg

I think Phoenix can get a bit nervy in these situations. He's just an off kilter bloke and there's nothing wrong with that; I really find it tedious how Twitter and the clickbait sites make it a bigger deal than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think Phoenix gets nervy at all. It's all just an act. This is a guy that's been around the block again and again for 3 decades, I first saw him in 'Parenthood' and that was in the 80's!

I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think Phoenix gets nervy at all. It's all just an act. This is a guy that's been around the block again and again for 3 decades, I first saw him in 'Parenthood' and that was in the 80's!

I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Jesus, yeah. I thought To Die For (which I'd really recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it) was the first thing I saw him in but Parenthood precedes that by six years!

Joker leads the line with most BAFTA nominations. Will forever love this film for the endless amount of salt it keeps provoking:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/07/colossally-overrated-joker-beneficiary-of-bafta-awards-groupthink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Joker leads the line with most BAFTA nominations. Will forever love this film for the endless amount of salt it keeps provoking:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/07/colossally-overrated-joker-beneficiary-of-bafta-awards-groupthink

I didn’t love Joker but I can’t believe the opprobrium it’s attracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I didn’t love Joker but I can’t believe the opprobrium it’s attracting.

It's really not that great a movie, though, and it has been done much better elsewhere. 'Joker' is ok and relatively enjoyable, but I didn't find it anything to write home about myself.

I just think there are a lot of fans that have been "blown away" by it, who have never seen the likes of 'Taxi Driver' or 'The King of Comedy'.

I also think that the pushback it's getting is just part and parcel of the mix these days. Nearly every film that's popular and gets gushed over, gets a "yang" of bashing.

It's the webiverse balancing itself out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Good to see Joaquin already starting to get awards. Also his acceptance speeches are great.

BSyhuXq.jpg

he should stick to making movies, someone with the carbon footprint of a small village is going to come across as a bit of a plonker talking about the environment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

silverharp wrote: »
    he should stick to making movies, someone with the carbon footprint of a small village is going to come across as a bit of a plonker talking about the environment

well todd philips has come out and said he got the idea for the movie when trump came into power and the cuts to the healthcare system movie . its a political movie
    so i'd prefer phoenix says that rather than thanking an agent etc
    and if it winds up the gammons then thats a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

peteeeed wrote: »
    well todd philips has come out and said he got the idea for the movie when trump came into power and the cuts to the healthcare system movie . its a political movie
    so i'd prefer phoenix says that rather than thanking an agent etc
    and if it winds up the gammons then thats a bonus

whats a gammon?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    whats a gammon?

google is your friend

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gammon

It's really not that great a movie, though, and it has been done much better elsewhere. 'Joker' is ok and relatively enjoyable, but I didn't find it anything to write home about myself.

I just think there are a lot of fans that have been "blown away" by it, who have never seen the likes of 'Taxi Driver' or 'The King of Comedy'.

I also think that the pushback it's getting is just part and parcel of the mix these days. Nearly every film that's popular and gets gushed over, gets a "yang" of bashing.

The thing that I find perplexing is that there are some films (Venom, certain MCU instalments, etc...) that the critics are unbelievably soft on. Then a film like this comes along which tries something a little bit different and it gets skewered for it in certain quarters.

If they just said they didn't like the film that would be fine. But instead of that you have critics like Bradshaw in the Guardian complaining about group think and the film robbing more "deserving" films of award recognition. Funny now that the diversity angle is his issue when his original complaints of incel fantasy didn't quite pan out.

I've never seen anything like it where there is such desperation to discredit a film.

The thing that I find perplexing is that there are some films (Venom, certain MCU instalments, etc...) that the critics are unbelievably soft on. Then a film like this comes along which tries something a little bit different and it gets skewered for it in certain quarters.

If they just said they didn't like the film that would be fine. But instead of that you have critics like Bradshaw in the Guardian complaining about group think and the film robbing more "deserving" films of award recognition. Funny now that the diversity angle is his issue when his original complaints of incel fantasy didn't quite pan out.

I've never seen anything like it where there is such desperation to discredit a film.

agreed
    yet i think it will do well in the awards season

While I do agree that the MCU films get an easy time from some critics, it’s not at all accurate to suggest that Venom got an easy ride. That film was eviscerated by many and became something of a laughing stock, certainly among critics I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When you actually think about it, it’s actually quite odd that there even is a thing as a critic. Movies are a very personal experience and in many if not most cases it’s a subjective feeling we get from movies that determines our experience. I suppose you could argue they aren’t objectively right or wrong, they are just people chatting about movies, but some of them are just a bit more full of their own self importance with quite rigid criteria.

Audiences, in general, appear to like and enjoy low brow stuff that’s safety by numbers (like the magic ingredients marvel and more recent DC stuff). There’s nothing at all wrong with that but it can lead to exactly what happened in DC (WW - CA , Aquaman - Thor, Shazaam - GOTG) where we get more of the same movie.

Critics get many movies wrong (fight club comes to mind) and get many movies right (plenty of example of movies that don’t do well like Shawshank but reviewed well). I can personally dislike or like a movie on first viewing and be the opposite on subsequent viewings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Drumpot wrote: »
    When you actually think about it, it’s actually quite odd that there even is a thing as a critic. Movies are a very personal experience and in many if not most cases it’s a subjective feeling we get from movies that determines our experience. I suppose you could argue they aren’t objectively right or wrong, they are just people chatting about movies, but some of them are just a bit more full of their own self importance with quite rigid criteria.

Audiences, in general, appear to like and enjoy low brow stuff that’s safety by numbers (like the magic ingredients marvel and more recent DC stuff). There’s nothing at all wrong with that but it can lead to exactly what happened in DC (WW - CA , Aquaman - Thor, Shazaam - GOTG) where we get more of the same movie.

Critics get many movies wrong (fight club comes to mind) and get many movies right (plenty of example of movies that don’t do well like Shawshank but reviewed well). I can personally dislike or like a movie on first viewing and be the opposite on subsequent viewings.

This is why audience scores are the only relevant scores for films. Most film critics are absolute snarky losers, would love to see them all attempt to make films since they all feel confident enough in their ideals of what makes a film great, surely they should be able to make some fantastic stuff, right? Yet they never bother, easier to be overly critical neck beards

Yup. Still haven't seem those two films. Joker is brilliant.

While I do agree that the MCU films get an easy time from some critics, it’s not at all accurate to suggest that Venom got an easy ride. That film was eviscerated by many and became something of a laughing stock, certainly among critics I follow.
    OK perhaps not legit critics, let's call them Twitter critics. The type that have YouTube channels who unfortunately have some element of influence; amongst this crowd there was a weird push to praise Venom, offering up it's absurd silliness as something to be endeared by. Often the type who are unrelenting in their hatred of all things Snyder related.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OK perhaps not legit critics, let's call them Twitter critics. The type that have YouTube channels who unfortunately have some element of influence; amongst this crowd there was a weird push to praise Venom, offering up it's absurd silliness as something to be endeared by. Often the type who are unrelenting in their hatred of all things Snyder related.

You lost me at Twitter though. We know at this stage that place is a maelstrom of intellectual garbage so why even give them the time of day if we can agree "legitimate critics" are at least worth considering, depending on their audience.

I've never signed up to Twitter, because it's a hot mess, and certainly I could care less what the chattering masses have to say about film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

pixelburp wrote: »
    You lost me at Twitter though. We know at this stage that place is a maelstrom of intellectual garbage so why even give them the time of day if we can agree "legitimate critics" are at least worth considering, depending on their audience.

I've never signed up to Twitter, because it's a hot mess, and certainly I could care less what the chattering masses have to say about film.

How would you know the merits of twitter if you've never used it?

Advertisement