Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Greaney wrote: »
    Yes. And sticking with the theme of the thread, I simply don't see bicycles as the most appropriate form of transport on the Western Rail Corridor.

Fortunately the region is served by an extensive road network which could support a much improved bus service that would benefit many more people at a fraction of the cost of reopening the WRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Yes, and that's why I simply don't see bicycles as the most appropriate form of transport on the Western Rail Corridor.

You've got a minority view there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Quackster wrote: »
    Fortunately the region is served by an extensive road network which could support a much improved bus service that would benefit many more people at a fraction of the cost of reopening the WRC.

And that's where we disagree.

We've gone over the issue of buses v rail ad-nauseum on this thread before and neither of us are for turning I'd day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

And that's where we disagree.

We've gone over the issue of buses v rail ad-nauseum on this thread before and neither of us are for turning I'd day.
    It's not about what any of us would like to see, in an ideal world, it's about what is realistically achievable for the asset.
    Given that the dogs in the street know what conclusions the rail review came to, there is no railway coming any time soon, or not in most of our lifetimes at any rate.
    A greenway on the other hand is achievable, can attract available funding, and has the support of most people with the exception of a few politicians who rely on the myth of the railway as an an election promise.
    This was never about railway versus greenway, it is about what can be achieved. According to the rail review and several other similar reviews in the past, rail is not a viable option. If it was, do you think they'd be hiding the report from the people of Galway?

Muckyboots wrote: »
    You've got a minority view there.

Don't be too sure about that. The support for rail has always been solid. Furthermore, the greenway campaing on the WRC got very shouty there for a while. People are not into unnessecary conflict, on-line or off (except me apparently:rolleyes:). The numbers supporting rail are significant, and don't just live in Athenry & Tuam. There's folk campaigning from Derry to Cork.
    eastwest wrote: »
    It's not about what any of us would like to see, in an ideal world, it's about what is realistically achievable for the asset.
    Given that the dogs in the street know what conclusions the rail review came to, there is no railway coming any time soon, or not in most of our lifetimes at any rate.
    A greenway on the other hand is achievable, can attract available funding, and has the support of most people with the exception of a few politicians who rely on the myth of the railway as an an election promise.
    This was never about railway versus greenway, it is about what can be achieved. According to the rail review and several other similar reviews in the past, rail is not a viable option. If it was, do you think they'd be hiding the report from the people of Galway?

According to the rail review of 2012 which is the last one available to the public, the Tuam to Athenry section of the western rail corridor was the most viable in the country and the people were so encouraged they began to strategize for it.

The residents of Ballyglunin were part of that strategy and have been working on restoring the station. They got funding just recently.

To get anything done in Ireland, you've to plug away at it for years, trust me, I know. I'm surprised folk on this forum think it'll be easier to get a greenway on the track. This is Irish rail we're talking about. It not only won't be easier to get a greenway on it, it won't be given up by Iarnrod Eireann. The Velo is the thing we should be concentrating on. Two of them pass through Galway!! That's huge, though some would like you not to think so.... Indeed the issue has been made so political, I've personally been very spooked from involving a politician in any of our projects.
    https://connachttribune.ie/cannon-rules-out-cpos-for-future-greenway-routes/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/objections-put-brakes-on-cycleway-from-dublin-to-galway-1.2411393
    https://connachttribune.ie/minister-cannon-comes-under-fire-for-supporting-greenway-000/
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/102951/greenway-does-not-threaten-future-rail-services-says-cannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Don't be too sure about that. The support for rail has always been solid. Furthermore, the greenway campaing on the WRC got very shouty there for a while. People are not into unnessecary conflict, on-line or off (except me apparently:rolleyes:). The numbers supporting rail are significant, and don't just live in Athenry & Tuam. There's folk campaigning from Derry to Cork.

According to the rail review of 2012 which is the last one available to the public, the Tuam to Athenry section of the western rail corridor was the most viable in the country and the people were so encouraged they began to strategize for it.

The residents of Ballyglunin were part of that strategy and have been working on restoring the station. They got funding just recently.

To get anything done in Ireland, you've to plug away at it for years, trust me, I know. I'm surprised folk on this forum think it'll be easier to get a greenway on the track. This is Irish rail we're talking about. It not only won't be easier to get a greenway on it, it won't be given up by Iarnrod Eireann. The Velo is the thing we should be concentrating on. Two of them pass through Galway!! That's huge, though some would like you not to think so.... Indeed the issue has been made so political, I've personally been very spooked from involving a politician in any of our projects.
    https://connachttribune.ie/cannon-rules-out-cpos-for-future-greenway-routes/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/objections-put-brakes-on-cycleway-from-dublin-to-galway-1.2411393
    https://connachttribune.ie/minister-cannon-comes-under-fire-for-supporting-greenway-000/
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/102951/greenway-does-not-threaten-future-rail-services-says-cannon

Why arn't they all out on the streets and above at the Dáil then, demanding that this latest "rail review" be published? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Ballyglunin station will make for a great cafe when the Greenway comes.

Anyone in Ballyglunin who a) thinks that a railway is coming and b) thinks that the railway is going to stop in their station, (when it doesn't even stop at the much bigger hamlet of Crusheen), is beyond deluded.

For reference, I present the metropolis surrounding Ballyglunin station ... :rolleyes:

499264.png

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Why arn't they all out on the streets and above at the Dáil then, demanding that this latest "rail review" be published? :rolleyes:

I don't know if from the eye roll you actually want to know the answer. It came up at the Sinn Féin meeting, which by the way, was attended by some pretty seasoned community activists, and you could sense many of us thought it wasn't that effective. So, in short...

It's a bad strategy.

I've faffed about going into detail about why, but the truth is, it's grant season and I've got to get stuck in on applications for things that we have to do in our community. I know the rail review is coming, and when it does.... I'll read it. I'm not expecting the earth to move.... if the government wants the WRC to happen soon, it'll be amazingly positive. If they want a greenway, it'll be damning, and if they want to park it.... it will be neither positive or negative. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

if the government wants the WRC to happen soon, it'll be amazingly positive. If they want a greenway, it'll be damning, and if they want to park it.... it will be neither positive or negative. ;)

A bit cynical, Greaney. Rather, I suspect the 'rail report' will be perfectly vague and will be readable in support of either a greenway or reactivation or a railway. And the government will be able to select à la carte.

What is darkened, however, is the bankrupt effort to force the report's release via multiplicative FOI requests. Do you think you can bully yourselves a greenway without a backfire? These seem to be the final throes of a failed effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    A bit cynical, Greaney. Rather, I suspect the 'rail report' will be perfectly vague and will be readable in support of either a greenway or reactivation or a railway. And the government will be able to select à la carte.

What is darkened, however, is the bankrupt effort to force the report's release via multiplicative FOI requests. Do you think you can bully yourselves a greenway without a backfire? These seem to be the final throes of a failed effort.

Agreed that the final version of the rail report will be vague, it is the version delivered to the Department that the multiple FOI requests and multiple PQs are asking for, not the redacted report certain quarters want to put out there.
    You think it darkens a campaign and makes for a bankrupt effort for multitudes of people (voters) to engage in the process of democracy to simply ask for what they paid for?

Any FOI becomes a matter of record. Any person is entitled to submit an FOI and any TD is entitled to engage within the system to make a PQ, all these actions are recorded and in the public domain and to flippantly dismiss them as bankrupt is to ignore the rights we have in a democracy.

People have been stirred into action who normally simply don't engage, Minister Ross by the way has also received PQs asking for the railway report from ardent railway supporters, like Lisa Chambers and Eamon O'Cuiv, just go look at the record in fact here is the link for you, why not just publish it and put us all at ease, at this stage I just want to see the dam report, who knows it might recommend the immediate construction of the railway, in which case get on with it, but please don't patronise people who have actually got involved in the process by flippantly saying their efforts are a bankrupt effort; you do yourself a disservice.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/search/?q=western%20rail%20corridor&sort=date&originalFilter=%2Fen%2Fdebates%2Fquestions%2F%3FdatePeriod%3Dall%26questionType%3Dall%26resultsPerPage%3D20%26viewBy%3Dday&questionType=all&searchType=questions&datePeriod=all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

wonder88 wrote: »
    The Galway Limerick route was fairly busy last Saturday, and two weeks ago, from my experience. The Oranmore station seems to be a success as well. The idea that there is no demand for rail in Ireland and car/road is what we want, may not be correct despite what Colm McCarthy etc says.

You are right Oranmore is doing well as is Athenry-Galway, but they are not part of the Western Rail Corridor, they are part of the pre existing Dublin Galway line, yes there is clearly a case to develop double tracking on the Athenry Galway section perhaps - to enable better local services into Galway. The figures touted by West on Track about the huge success of the Western Rail Corridor need to be examined more closely, thankfully they were and presented in detail to EY consulting. You may recall in 2019 the top line figures on usage of the WRC were touted out in the public domain claiming they proved the huge success of the line, with 387,000 passengers recorded on the route in 2018, it was a complete myth, of the 387,000 passenger journies 217,000 were passengers only using the Athenry/Galway and Oranmore/Galway route, they were short journey Galway commuters using the pre-existing Dublin/Galway main line. The top line figures touted by West on Track did not draw attention to this fact, take a look at the real states, EY did because they had them presented to them in black and white, they came by the way directly from Irish Rail who were asked to release them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

If anyone is wasting their money on FOI requests; don’t bother.

An election is imminent and I would hazard a guess that the reason the report isn’t issued yet is down to simple politics.

If the report damns the railway and recommends a greenway that would be seen as giving an advantage to Ciaran Cannon.

If the report supports the clear improvements to public transport then it would be seen as giving an advantage to Sean Canney.

If the report kicks the proverbial can down the road again it will benefit no one and therefore not political.

No doubt all will be revealed at some point, I’d advise the Greenway disciples to save their hard earned cash unless of course some road based foundation is giving them the funds to pay for all this...

Sligo eye wrote: »

An election is imminent and I would hazard a guess that the reason the report isn’t issued yet is down to simple politics.

If the report damns the railway and recommends a greenway that would be seen as giving an advantage to Ciaran Cannon.

If the report supports the clear improvements to public transport then it would be seen as giving an advantage to Sean Canney.

If the report kicks the proverbial can down the road again it will benefit no one and therefore not political.

No doubt all will be revealed at some point, I’d advise the Greenway disciples to save their hard earned cash unless of course some road based foundation is giving them the funds to pay for all this...

I agree.
    Signed: Greenway disciple advocate.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    I agree.
    Signed: Greenway disciple advocate.
    Two things seem very clear.
    1. The rail report finds no case for a railway. If it did, it would definitely be in the public domain by now.
    2. We won't see it until after the election. Sean Canney needs the railway myth for his campaign, given that he hasn't much else to offer. He won't allow it to be released. He will have the tacit support of an Taoiseach in this; although Varadkar has long ago confirmed that the mistakes of phase one won't be repeated, he will adopt the 'no news is good news' approach to the region in an attempt to keep as many voters on side as possible.

Fyi, any FOI requests for this report would be free

https://foi.gov.ie/faqs/is-there-a-fee/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

westtip wrote: »
    You are right Oranmore is doing well as is Athenry-Galway, but they are not part of the Western Rail Corridor, they are part of the pre existing Dublin Galway line, yes there is clearly a case to develop double tracking on the Athenry Galway section perhaps - to enable better local services into Galway. The figures touted by West on Track about the huge success of the Western Rail Corridor need to be examined more closely, thankfully they were and presented in detail to EY consulting. You may recall in 2019 the top line figures on usage of the WRC were touted out in the public domain claiming they proved the huge success of the line, with 387,000 passengers recorded on the route in 2018, it was a complete myth, of the 387,000 passenger journies 217,000 were passengers only using the Athenry/Galway and Oranmore/Galway route, they were short journey Galway commuters using the pre-existing Dublin/Galway main line. The top line figures touted by West on Track did not draw attention to this fact, take a look at the real states, EY did because they had them presented to them in black and white, they came by the way directly from Irish Rail who were asked to release them.

According to that attached file, 137,784 was the number of passengers between Ennis & Athenry in 2018. What figure would this need to be for the line to be considered sustainable?

Fyi, any FOI requests for this report would be free

https://foi.gov.ie/faqs/is-there-a-fee/

That's what they want you to believe!
    It's all a big conspiracy. ;-)

That's what they want you to believe!
    It's all a big conspiracy. ;-)

It only takes two people to make a conspiracy you know

According to that attached file, 137,784 was the number of passengers between Ennis & Athenry in 2018. What figure would this need to be for the line to be considered sustainable?

It doesn’t matter if the trains are packed to the brim, the anti rail campaigners will always make ever more incredible claims about how “unsustainable” the line is.

It doesn’t matter if the trains are packed to the brim, the anti rail campaigners will always make ever more incredible claims about how “unsustainable” the line is.

No need, the massive subvention due to low usage is all that is needed

Just to be clear, I'm not anti-rail. I'm anti-waste.

For example, I'm all for double tracking the full Galway to Dublin line, increasing capacity at Athenry and Oranmore P&R's, etc

But a line between 2 small towns that will be slower than driving, cost more than getting the bus and waste an insane amount of cash to both get it up and running and then to keep it running...... Yeah, sorry, never going to support that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It only takes two people to make a conspiracy you know

One to lie, and one to listen.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

For example, I'm all for double tracking the full Galway to Dublin line, increasing capacity at Athenry and Oranmore P&R's, etc

But a line between 2 small towns that will be slower than driving, cost more than getting the bus and waste an insane amount of cash to both get it up and running and then to keep it running...... Yeah, sorry, never going to support that

But but but but
    They have the LUAS up in Dublin, the feckers

The figures ... need to be examined more closely, thankfully they were and presented in detail to EY consulting.
    From the figures you quoted we get 137,784 passengers using the Ennis-Athenry section.

137,784 divided by 364 and divided by eight trains a day (minimum Sunday service) = 47 passengers per train. Less than a busful.

But but but but
    They have the LUAS up in Dublin, the feckers

Oh ho ho ho. I’d love to know why you come on here and trot out the same catch phrases year after year.

I’ve yet to hear from you a convincing argument as to why we should destroy public transport at a time when the rest of the world is switching to rail away from air and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the line is well used now and is growing.
    the subvention is tiny compared to the costs of road transport which are insane in this country due to the amount of dependence on it and the amount of roads and our massive over-obsession of promoting roads over everything else.
    galway and limerick are cities, galway is choked with traffic and road transport will never be able to cater to all of the demand, hence more railbased transport is needed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

You think it darkens a campaign and makes for a bankrupt effort for multitudes of people (voters) to engage in the process of democracy to simply ask for what they paid for?

OK, forgive my barbs. The were unnecessary, but yes, I do think that spamming DTTAS with FOIA requests is futile. A reasonable person would send just one, and then pursue their administrative and judicial remedies if they believed they were wrongfully refused information under the Act.

I also think that spamming the NWRA with duplicate submissions on the RSES is equally futile. Spamming Mayo Council regarding the velorail project is both futile and disingenuous.

I think a surefire way to ensure that something doesn’t change is to start a petition on change.org.

And do you remember the magic “feasibility study?” Someone had convinced themselves (and many others) that all we needed to access our share of the €42 million of government greenway money was some sort of an undefined feasibility study. Councilors were spammed regarding their vote for such a study, and there was a kerfuffle over a second vote for a wider-scoped study. If anyone would have taken 5 minutes to read the funding guidelines, they would have seen that funding was restricted to actual projects with full planning permission (or soon-to-be issued permission). But we couldn’t turn down an opportunity to get political, personal, and nasty. After all, anyone who even questions the notion that bicycle tourism will transform East Galway and Mayo is not only delusional, but probably corrupt with their own agenda.

That last bit of ugliness can be traced back to a certain junior minister, who while supporting greenways on the surface, has probably done more to deprive the region of the same by promising landowners that no CPOs would be issued for the Galway to Athlone stretch. So while that project is delayed, the idea of a greenway on the WRC is reduced to an unconnected, dangling segment that nobody will want to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

serfboard wrote: »
    While no-one could disagree with that, until we as a nation stop scattering one-off houses for city workers all over the countryside, we won't wake up to anything.

Sorry, that's a red herring. The volume of 1-off houses isn't the problem.

If you think that's the problem, then explain why those already in cities like Dublin & Galway can't get around them or out of them.

And in Galway at least, most of the jobs are in the suburbs, not the city, so even if they ran a train into Ceannt every 10 minutes it wouldn't be worth a shine as there is no way to get from Ceannt to Ballybrit/Parkmore etc etc., And it does nothing to help those on the West of the City to get to the East of the city....and back again.

My SO has the opposite problem: wants to get the train but can't, as Irish Rail thinks we're in the 50's and no-one starts work 'til 9 or something......there needs to be a train arriving in Ceannt at 07:40 latest.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Oh ho ho ho. I’d love to know why you come on here and trot out the same catch phrases year after year.

I’ve yet to hear from you a convincing argument as to why we should destroy public transport at a time when the rest of the world is switching to rail away from air and road.
    Simple answer to that.
    Because they have the LUAS up in Dublin, the feckers.

galwaytt wrote: »
    The volume of 1-off houses isn't the problem.

If you think that's the problem, then explain why those already in cities like Dublin & Galway can't get around them or out of them.
    Because there is too much traffic caused by people driving into and around the city, due to insufficient provision of park n' rides, bus lanes, bus services and cycling infrastructure.
    And in Galway at least, most of the jobs are in the suburbs, not the city, so even if they ran a train into Ceannt every 10 minutes it wouldn't be worth a shine as there is no way to get from Ceannt to Ballybrit/Parkmore etc etc., And it does nothing to help those on the West of the City to get to the East of the city....and back again.
    Thank you for making the points I have made many, many times.
    My SO has the opposite problem: wants to get the train but can't, as Irish Rail thinks we're in the 50's and no-one starts work 'til 9 or something......there needs to be a train arriving in Ceannt at 07:40 latest.
    Just as there is a late-night commuter service to Athlone, which leaves the station at 22:15 and serves Oranmore, Athenry, Attymon, Woodlawn and Ballinasloe, there may indeed be a need to have an early morning service going the other way.

However there are plenty of bus services that arrive in the city centre before 8AM.

• Advertisement

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    OK, forgive my barbs. The were unnecessary, but yes, I do think that spamming DTTAS with FOIA requests is futile. A reasonable person would send just one, and then pursue their administrative and judicial remedies if they believed they were wrongfully refused information under the Act.

I also think that spamming the NWRA with duplicate submissions on the RSES is equally futile. Spamming Mayo Council regarding the velorail project is both futile and disingenuous.

I think a surefire way to ensure that something doesn’t change is to start a petition on change.org.

And do you remember the magic “feasibility study?” Someone had convinced themselves (and many others) that all we needed to access our share of the €42 million of government greenway money was some sort of an undefined feasibility study. Councilors were spammed regarding their vote for such a study, and there was a kerfuffle over a second vote for a wider-scoped study. If anyone would have taken 5 minutes to read the funding guidelines, they would have seen that funding was restricted to actual projects with full planning permission (or soon-to-be issued permission). But we couldn’t turn down an opportunity to get political, personal, and nasty. After all, anyone who even questions the notion that bicycle tourism will transform East Galway and Mayo is not only delusional, but probably corrupt with their own agenda.

That last bit of ugliness can be traced back to a certain junior minister, who while supporting greenways on the surface, has probably done more to deprive the region of the same by promising landowners that no CPOs would be issued for the Galway to Athlone stretch. So while that project is delayed, the idea of a greenway on the WRC is reduced to an unconnected, dangling segment that nobody will want to build.

I agree on the spamming, but you are wrong about everything else, including the feasibility study, which was an attempt to position the Council on the issue and not a real attempt to draw down funds. It was scuppered with a cute-hoor contrived diluted proposal led by railway promotors with nothing but contempt for the greenway campaign. They got called out in local media. The newspaper reporters were in the chamber and saw what happened. Some of the orchestrators subsequently lost their council seats. Nothing to do with campaigning or spin. But...... The west will get neither greenway or railway while there is public squabbling going on between the two groups. A bit of bants here is fine, but the issue has become toxic and nasty (I think we agree on that too). This isn't Youghal or New Ross where the trail v rail arguments were easily won politically. Nothing will be achieved while the whiff of cordite still abounds- especially when it's in the county council chambers.

Advertisement