Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Options

Comments

Greaney wrote: »
    The decision regarding the old track isn't 'everyone's to make, it's the decision of Irish Rail with the support of central government. Irish rail own the tracks, and roaring and shouting at them will achieve nothing.

Just a reminder that after the 2012 AECom/Goodbody report was so favourable about the reopening of the line for rail, that a group got together to develop it further. But as we're all finding out.... it takes tiiiiime
    https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/03/28/4026145-athenrytuam-rail-action-group-launched-in-tuam

Let's say your Christmas wish is granted and it gets added to the queue for rail developments.

There is still about 20 years worth of more important projects ahead of it.

Thinking logically, if you have the choice between running a line to the airport or double tracking anywhere, or removing bottlenecks or Athenry to Tuam, which do you logically chose.

This is why Athenry to Tuam will not be getting developed anytime soon. Not saying never, just not in my lifetime and I was born the year it closed to regular passenger traffic, 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

Isambard wrote: »
    you do the math.

I'm saying it can't do a return journey in half an hour, or anything like it which it would need to to have a half hour frequency service. It's academic anyway. It wouldn't get a frequency anything like that. 4 or 5 return trips a day maximum would be my guess.

Good man, I didn't say it could, you said it was impossible! I asked why it couldn't do 60mph and where was the restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I did not say it was impossible to do 60 mph I said it was impossible to average 100 km/h on a return journey of 50 km and I told you why when you asked.

I did not say it was impossible to do 60 mph I said it was impossible to average 100 km/h on a return journey of 50 km and I told you why when you asked.

Oh now you have proved it to be impossible. Good job.

I have you sussed now....having read all 63 of your posts. Adding you to my blocked list now

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

This is why Athenry to Tuam will not be getting developed anytime soon. Not saying never, just not in my lifetime and I was born the year it closed to regular passenger traffic, 1976.

DaCor. Those are awfully strong words, and I am willing to bet that you are wrong (if you are a betting man). And not something insignificant, but lets wager something substantial, like a bucket of chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Let's say your Christmas wish is granted and it gets added to the queue for rail developments.

There is still about 20 years worth of more important projects ahead of it.

Thinking logically, if you have the choice between running a line to the airport or double tracking anywhere, or removing bottlenecks or Athenry to Tuam, which do you logically chose.

Which is why 'Logically' spending money on a feasibilty study for a greenway, that would cost millions (and years to build), only for it to be turned back into rail in 20-30 years as suggested here is totally crazy. Furthermore, I'd love double tracking between Athenry & Galway, great!! But the thrust of what I'm 'standing for' on this thread is that I love greenways, but never at the cost of mass transit. I'm involved in cycling advocacy myself, but I'm stunned that folk think greenways are travel infrastructure on a par with a train covering 21km (15.5miles) that links to the rest of the rail network!

I also think folk have a very short memory as the last report was so reasonably positive it prompted a working group to start stratagising. One part of this group (Ballyglunin development group) have been working tirelessly on their part of the infrastructure only to be mocked and derided by those who want Ballyglunin station to be part of a cycle track that's not even linked to the EurovVelo

But the thrust of what I'm 'standing for' on this thread is that I love greenways, but never at the cost of mass transit.

There is no mass transit in existence on that line so no cost.

Quackster wrote: »
    Isambard is entirely correct though. Athey/Tuam is so far down the rail priority list that even if you trebled or quadrupled investment in rail (and I am absolutely adamant that needs to be done), there are so many much more important rail projects that would absorb all that investment. And then some.

Everyone needs to be realistic that the line north of Tuam will never ever reopen and allow the greenway to proceed on this section ASAP.

According to the last AECOM/Goodman report on the future of rail transportation, the Athenry Tuam line was top of the list!!

Folk were so encouraged they began to come together....
    https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/03/28/4026145-athenrytuam-rail-action-group-launched-in-tuam

There is no mass transit in existence on that line so no cost.

No cost? Gosh where does one start...

The cost ends up somewhere else...
    • Galway traffic (for a start), which may end in the distruction of a community (Dangan)...
    • Rural de-population
    • Lopsided national development
    • Lack of planning for future infrastructure
    • Lack of affordable access to services outside of urban areas, for young people, the elderly, disabled
    • Health & Well being
    • Rural Divestment.
    • The Enviroment
    • Rural Isolation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

The Galway Limerick route was fairly busy last Saturday, and two weeks ago, from my experience. The Oranmore station seems to be a success as well. The idea that there is no demand for rail in Ireland and car/road is what we want, may not be correct despite what Colm McCarthy etc says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muckyboots wrote: »

Surely a greenway would be a better/cheaper option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Can we please not compare Claremorris - Athenry with Navan - Dublin. It certainly does not help the WRC cause.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Del.Monte wrote: »
    A review of the 2016-2035 NTA Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy is being undertaken so this presumably is part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »

A greenway alongside - and with every other new opening or extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

wonder88 wrote: »
    The Galway Limerick route was fairly busy last Saturday, and two weeks ago, from my experience. The Oranmore station seems to be a success as well. The idea that there is no demand for rail in Ireland and car/road is what we want, may not be correct despite what Colm McCarthy etc says.

Dont think anyone is saying there is no demand for rail, rather that heavy rail needs a certain population density to make the cost of building infrastructure and running trains worthwhile. Galway and Limerick are cities so even with the indirect routing rail travel between them will be an attractive option especially with people entitled to F/T and subsidised fares for the rest. Of course Oranmore would be a success as it's next door to Galway. Your observation imo doesn't prove anything re the need for or affordability of a train service north of Athenry and I'm saying that as a big fan of train travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

No cost? Gosh where does one start...

The cost ends up somewhere else...
    • Galway traffic (for a start), which may end in the distruction of a community (Dangan)...
    • Rural de-population
    • Lopsided national development
    • Lack of planning for future infrastructure
    • Lack of affordable access to services outside of urban areas, for young people, the elderly, disabled
    • Health & Well being
    • Rural Divestment.
    • The Enviroment
    • Rural Isolation

Lot of exaggeration there if you're saying that a train line is the only solution to all of the above issues. Wouldn't that mean that Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal are all doomed? And how would a train from Tuam help people from there travelling to work in Parkmore? Most of the issues you cite would in fact be greatly helped by a Greenway. Brings employment so antidote to rural depopulation, brings people into an isolated rural area,supports health and well-being, good for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    A review of the 2016-2035 NTA Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy is being undertaken so this presumably is part of it.

The way commuting is going at the moment they may as well include the WRC in the greater dublin area transport strategy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Lot of exaggeration there if you're saying that a train line is the only solution to all of the above issues. Wouldn't that mean that Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal are all doomed? And how would a train from Tuam help people from there travelling to work in Parkmore? Most of the issues you cite would in fact be greatly helped by a Greenway. Brings employment so antidote to rural depopulation, brings people into an isolated rural area,supports health and well-being, good for the environment.

The feet of greenway campaigners need to be held to the fire on this. Let’s watch what happens with Kingscourt one to see if all the magical regeneration happens, instead of another safe space for the Lycra clad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The feet of greenway campaigners need to be held to the fire on this. Let’s watch what happens with Kingscourt one to see if all the magical regeneration happens, instead of another safe space for the Lycra clad.

The demand for a greenaway on the Kingscourt line has been driven by locals. The line itself is useless as a passenger line without a direct connection between Navan and Dublin. Going by Drogheda will never work because buses will always be far far quicker going to Dublin(the main destination for commuter traffic) via Navan. Anyone fimilar with the Kingscourt line will also be aware how overgrown the former rail route is, to the point in large parts you wouldn't even know a railway line even existed.

Also saying greenways are only used by people in Lycra really shows a complete lack of understanding on why Greenways have been so successful. The main reason being attracting people who don't normally cycle on the roads.

Good railways are needed and there is a demand however I don't understand this obsession with old railways built in the 1800s. If you look other countries and the modern high speed lines, they built new railway lines that matched the population needs and technology of the modern day. The Bullet train in Japan being a classic example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

PeadarCo wrote: »
    The demand for a greenaway on the Kingscourt line has been driven by locals. The line itself is useless as a passenger line without a direct connection between Navan and Dublin. Going by Drogheda will never work because buses will always be far far quicker going to Dublin(the main destination for commuter traffic) via Navan. Anyone fimilar with the Kingscourt line will also be aware how overgrown the former rail route is, to the point in large parts you wouldn't even know a railway line even existed.

Also saying greenways are only used by people in Lycra really shows a complete lack of understanding on why Greenways have been so successful. The main reason being attracting people who don't normally cycle on the roads.

Good railways are needed and there is a demand however I don't understand this obsession with old railways built in the 1800s. If you look other countries and the modern high speed lines, they built new railway lines that matched the population needs and technology of the modern day. The Bullet train in Japan being a classic example.

Part of the issue is that while roads will always find the budget to be built and there’s always land to build them on as far as Official Ireland are concerned, when it comes to railways there’s always some bright spark who will ask about “profitability” and “oh it has to be such and such a density before we can build them” the same questions are never ever asked about roads. I’m thinking especially about the M9 motorway down to Waterford and indeed the Tuam bypass which if another country were considering them, they’d never be built as these roads aren’t exactly chockablock at the best of times. Yet no one dares question the “profitability” or density of the local populations for roads.

The only way railways get opened in Ireland is when old lines are reopened. No one in the department of Transport and their bus loving chums in the NTA will sanction the purchase of new land for railways because guess what, there are bright sparks in the NTA who will ask about the “profitability” and the “density” before sanctioning any kind of spend on the railway. And then you have the keyboard warriors who despise the railway organising letter writing campaigns to their local councils and getting their “economist” pals whose think tank gets grants from the Ford Foundation etc. to write articles demanding more roads and less railways to ensure the car manufacturers stay in business rather than stopping and thinking, what does the environment and the economy really need?

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Part of the issue is that while roads will always find the budget to be built and there’s always land to build them on as far as Official Ireland are concerned, when it comes to railways there’s always some bright spark who will ask about “profitability” and “oh it has to be such and such a density before we can build them” the same questions are never ever asked about roads. I’m thinking especially about the M9 motorway down to Waterford and indeed the Tuam bypass which if another country were considering them, they’d never be built as these roads aren’t exactly chockablock at the best of times. Yet no one dares question the “profitability” or density of the local populations for roads.

The only way railways get opened in Ireland is when old lines are reopened. No one in the department of Transport and their bus loving chums in the NTA will sanction the purchase of new land for railways because guess what, there are bright sparks in the NTA who will ask about the “profitability” and the “density” before sanctioning any kind of spend on the railway. And then you have the keyboard warriors who despise the railway organising letter writing campaigns to their local councils and getting their “economist” pals whose think tank gets grants from the Ford Foundation etc. to write articles demanding more roads and less railways to ensure the car manufacturers stay in business rather than stopping and thinking, what does the environment and the economy really need?

That's an awful lot of tinfoil hats for a single post

Re: Tuam bypass, prior to it being built, 30-45 minute tailbacks were the norm for trying to get through Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

That's an awful lot of tinfoil hats for a single post

Re: Tuam bypass, prior to it being built, 30-45 minute tailbacks were the norm for trying to get through Tuam.

The post also ignores all the protests around the M3 with one of the alternatives being proposed being just to widen the existing road and not build the M3. And that's just one example.

It also really doesn't answer the question of why reopen closed lines built for technology that's now in museums. Most modern high speed lines around the world are purpose built. Many of these lines can compete with airplanes on short routes. Rails biggest advantage is that it can move large amounts of people between and in high density areas very quickly. The rail alignments built in the 1800s were for trains that were slower than modern cars/buses. Modern trains(never mind high speed trains) are a orders of magnatude quicker than was available/envisaged when the lines were built. Obviously in a lot of cases the relevant rail alignments will not match modern day requirements for train travel to be competitive with other modes of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

PeadarCo wrote: »
    The post also ignores all the protests around the M3 with one of the alternatives being proposed being just to widen the existing road and not build the M3. And that's just one example.

It also really doesn't answer the question of why reopen closed lines built for technology that's now in museums. Most modern high speed lines around the world are purpose built. Many of these lines can compete with airplanes on short routes. Rails biggest advantage is that it can move large amounts of people between and in high density areas very quickly. The rail alignments built in the 1800s were for trains that were slower than modern cars/buses. Modern trains(never mind high speed trains) are a orders of magnatude quicker than was available/envisaged when the lines were built. Obviously in a lot of cases the relevant rail alignments will not match modern day requirements for train travel to be competitive with other modes of transport.

Oh sure, if Official Ireland were to give rail the same priority as cars then yes of course we should rebuild the lines, I completely agree with that. The reality is that they apply far more stringent criteria to the construction of railways than to roads. Until we as a nation wake up to the environmental crisis we are in we will continue to literally drive towards the destruction of our environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Until we as a nation wake up to the environmental crisis we are in we will continue to literally drive towards the destruction of our environment.
    While no-one could disagree with that, until we as a nation stop scattering one-off houses for city workers all over the countryside, we won't wake up to anything.

Lot of exaggeration there if you're saying that a train line is the only solution to all of the above issues. .

No I'm not saying that the train line is the only solution, I'm refuting the claim that building nothing has no cost. I believe neglecting public transport has a huge cost. There's plenty of info out there to support this claim

http://www.politico.com/sponsor-content/2018/06/when-public-transit
    https://www.nationalexpresstransit.com/blog/9-benefits-of-public-transportation/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/07/north-england-unreliable-public-transport-stops-poor-families-finding-work
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bad-public-transportation-transit-justice_n_5c0940d6e4b0bf813ef4f219?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANoTnNlnTGReJJFrGnVW3U3dXvg10RNdzB7KKtYLxy8JDPJFlMe7Hb7AACj486FLJDNfpu2b8RFj4p3hap-yK1RTXIDpCwwaS_Ext3WccLX32TxmxT70LweHVYOhTLqRTi_A4JXpOkM7uxQlnQumxRtdOpc0qQyLIBm6oM8k6sKa
    https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/sustainablecitiescollective/top-10-benefits-public-transportation/1063096/

As for our dreadful habit of one off housing.... I totally agree. Furthermore I'm happy to learn that some places are catching up in building around public transport hubs, especially on the WRC where Craughwells ghost estates are full and Ardrahan has started to build for commuters

On a positive note, I spotted this on the Greenway thread re; infrastructure, regarding the Dublin to Galway Velo, which is pre-approve funded, and communities along that route would do well to strategize developing 'loops' from it for tourism and cycling infrastructure....

''...Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months. ''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

No I'm not saying that the train line is the only solution, I'm refuting the claim that building nothing has no cost. I believe neglecting public transport has a huge cost. There's plenty of info out there to support this claim

http://www.politico.com/sponsor-content/2018/06/when-public-transit
    https://www.nationalexpresstransit.com/blog/9-benefits-of-public-transportation/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/07/north-england-unreliable-public-transport-stops-poor-families-finding-work
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bad-public-transportation-transit-justice_n_5c0940d6e4b0bf813ef4f219?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANoTnNlnTGReJJFrGnVW3U3dXvg10RNdzB7KKtYLxy8JDPJFlMe7Hb7AACj486FLJDNfpu2b8RFj4p3hap-yK1RTXIDpCwwaS_Ext3WccLX32TxmxT70LweHVYOhTLqRTi_A4JXpOkM7uxQlnQumxRtdOpc0qQyLIBm6oM8k6sKa
    https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/sustainablecitiescollective/top-10-benefits-public-transportation/1063096/

As for our dreadful habit of one off housing.... I totally agree. Furthermore I'm happy to learn that some places are catching up in building around public transport hubs, especially on the WRC where Craughwells ghost estates are full and Ardrahan has started to build for commuters

On a positive note, I spotted this on the Greenway thread re; infrastructure, regarding the Dublin to Galway Velo, which is pre-approve funded, and communities along that route would do well to strategize developing 'loops' from it for tourism and cycling infrastructure....

''...Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months. ''

about time the underused canal infrastructure was brought to the fore.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No I'm not saying that the train line is the only solution, I'm refuting the claim that building nothing has no cost. I believe neglecting public transport has a huge cost. There's plenty of info out there to support this claim.
    I don't think anyone here would argue against vastly increasing the funding of public transport. What is a fundamental basis of effective public transport though is the provision of the most appropriate form of public transport for the specific conditions and it should be abundantly obvious that rail is not always the most appropriate form of public transport.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here would argue against vastly increasing the funding of public transport. What is a fundamental basis of effective public transport though is the provision of the most appropriate form of public transport for the specific conditions and it should be abundantly obvious that rail is not always the most appropriate form of public transport.

Yes, and that's why I simply don't see bicycles as the most appropriate form of transport on the Western Rail Corridor.

Advertisement