Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Just can't get the staff these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

So let's get this started then guys.

So the reveal tonight will work it's way from 15 downwards based off the scores after Round 4.

If you need a reminder, here you are.

Study Food Musical Reminds You Good Mood Total
    Trigger 4 15 13 14 46
    phatkev 14 13 15 3 45
    Prisca 5 14 14 11 44
    osh 7 10 9 13 39
    Green&Red 6 9 12 12 39
    TED_YNWA 12 4 5 15 36
    Ectoplasm 15 7 3 9 34
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 11 10 31
    MicksJaguar 8 5 10 7 30
    Drumpot 13 2 4 8 27
    tusk 11 12 1 1 25
    Pretzill 3 11 7 4 25
    Necrina 10 3 6 5 24
    Necro 2 6 8 2 18
    Spook_ie 1 8 2 6 17

So for example regardless how they scored in Round 5, Spook_ie will be revealed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Who does he think he is.

Putting real life things ahead of this game.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

So first up is Spook_ie with "Flash, Bang Whallop” from Half A Sixpence. For this they scored
    14 points
    , their best performance thus far.

Barney's Comments: Jaunty entry, that'll do well with me. Very clever song. I think it might grate on me if I heard it a lot, but a magical number every now and then. Never heard of this musical before but would like to see it now. Strong ending for a musical number too.

Kingsley's Comments: This will do very nicely. Great choice. I could actually see myself and Barney singing and clapping along to this. Beautifully layered.

giphy.gif

Necro with "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof is next on the list. They score
    12 points
    in this round in their desperate scramble to stay off the bottom of the pile.

Barney's Comments: I really like the rhythm to this. First one I'd heard of before, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At times it reminds me a bit of Zorba the Greek.

Kingsley's Comments: This is nice and mad. Another one that I can really see myself enjoying in a live show. The chorus is great and the tempo changes really get me going. I can imagine quite the dancing number taking place during the middle act.

tenor.gif?itemid=4764167

Necro’s good score might scare Necrina but their entry of "I’m On My Way" from Paint Your Wagon was enough to notch
    9 points
    and stay above Necro and avoid last place.

Barney's Comments: Interesting intro to this one. This is an upbeat number and put a nice smile on my face. I don't think it's a great song but I did enjoy it.

Kingsley's Comments: This is a nice and cheery number so it is. Bopping away to this nicely. Nice choice. Maybe thats whys theres a few points taken off. Its nice but not a lot more for me.

giphy.gif

tumblr_mpbl8kLsxR1qhdvf5o8_500.gifv

Pretzill came into this round just outside the bottom three and with
    11 points
    for "Mein Herr" by Liza Minnelli, it looks like they'll manage to avoid the bottom three.

Barney's Comments: I like the intro to the singer in this song. However, I wasn't really that into it until the last minute or so. Thought it really kicked into high-gear then. Just took a bit long to get there for me.

Kingsley's Comments: This is exactly the type of song I was hoping for when Barney suggested this category. Love the changes in tempo, the singer and could just picture myself clapping along to this in the audience. Really love it. Top of the pops for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh God...

AfraidDistantJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

Next up is someone who had an 8 point lead over last place. tusk with "Who Will Buy" from Oliver scored only
    5 points
    and is currently tied for last place. They’ve a slight chance of avoiding last place depending on the score for the next entrant.

Barney's Comments: I must say that "You've got to pick a pocket or two" would have won this contest. It is a good song, it's just that I like some of the others in the musical more. Perhaps I'm being harsh but it just doesn't do it for me.

Kingsley's Comments: Ah a lovely bit of Oliver. I like the story in this and the singers however it wouldn't at all be my favourite song from the musical. Just doesn't have enough umph in it for me.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nice one Necrina. I love Paint Your Wagon!

Trigger wrote: »
    Oh God...

AfraidDistantJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Boy for Sale from Oliver! Is probably one of my all time favorites - glad I was kept off the bottom 3 by Liza - :)

Here is how things stand:

Study Food Musical Reminds You Good Mood Total
    Trigger 4 15 13 14 46
    phatkev 14 13 15 3 45
    Prisca 5 14 14 11 44
    osh 7 10 9 13 39
    Green&Red 6 9 12 12 39
    TED_YNWA 12 4 5 15 36
    Pretzill 3 11 11 7 4 36
    Ectoplasm 15 7 3 9 34
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 11 10 31
    Necrina 10 3 7 6 5 31
    Spook_ie 1 8 14 2 6 31
    MicksJaguar 8 5 10 7 30
    tusk 11 12 5 1 1 30
    Necro 2 6 12 8 2 30
    Drumpot 13 2 4 8 27

And this is a live feed of Drumpot

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And it was. Drumpot was never really in danger with "Set Me Free" from The Get Down. A song that went down well with both of us and scored
    13 points

Barney's Comments: Strong opening, I like a good tone setter. Oh I like this, could be rocketing to the top of the tree. I hope it can keep this up. I have to say the rest of the song doesn't quite live up to the dizzy heights of the first minute or so. I liked the rest, but I loved that opening. The ending was very powerful though. So great start and end, middle was very good.

Kingsley's Comments: Oh yes gimme some of that funk please.this I love. Singer sounds sassy as hell and those high notes are really doing it for me. Well played.

So i just need to pop the kettle on and finish cooking my dinner.

Here's a bit of light listening in the meantime. If this had been enter it would've scored 15 without even having to listen to it.

MicksJaguar scored
    6 points
    with "When Love Is Gone" from Muppet’s Christmas Carol. A fine entry, enough to avoid the bottom three.

Barney's Comments: This is a very nice sounding song. Singer's voice is a delight, but whilst it seems to have everything going for it it just hasn't grabbed me like some of the other ones have.

Kingsley's Comments: This song has me in a bit of a conundrum to be honest. Whilst I love the sound of the song and singer's voice I just do not agree with the message at all. If I didn't speak English then it would be full marks for me but I do unfortunately. It could score anywhere from 6-12 really so I'm going to land in the middle.

giphy.gif

After two good rounds for Also Starring LeVar Burton, they’ve not done as well this time with "Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent, scoring
    4 points

Barney's Comments: Idina is back, two entries across the rounds (fair play to her). I liked her in the last entry but for some reason I don't particularly like her voice here. I get that the song is meant to be in your face, but she seems a bit over-the-top in her delivery.

Kingsley's Comments: Ok I am initially in love with this song after approximately 6 seconds. Fast forward another half minute and it sounds a bit like an X-Factor audition. She is just shouting a little too much. I can really imagine myself loving this song sung by Janis Joplin for example. Or a softer version by Lisa Hannigan or someone similar.

giphy.gif

Ectoplasm started the competition very strongly, but as they said they took a risk with "I Know Him So Well" from Chess. Unfortunately for them it only scored
    1 point

Barney's Comments: This sounds like a very sad song from the beginning. Gentle opening from the singers. I liked this until the chorus. I actually didn't recognise the song until then and then it hit me. I like most of the verses and the tempo of them, but unfortunately the chorus just isn't for me.

Kingsley's Comments: Right, in the nicest possible way......I cannot stand this song. Their voices irritate me greatly. And it seems like there is going to be a big crescendo coming every time the "Wasn't he good...." line comes along. But it just never happens.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Barney92 wrote: »
    After two good rounds for Also Starring LeVar Burton, they’ve not done as well this time with "Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent, scoring
    4 points

Barney's Comments: Idina is back, two entries across the rounds (fair play to her). I liked her in the last entry but for some reason I don't particularly like her voice here. I get that the song is meant to be in your face, but she seems a bit over-the-top in her delivery.

Kingsley's Comments: Ok I am initially in love with this song after approximately 6 seconds. Fast forward another half minute and it sounds a bit like an X-Factor audition. She is just shouting a little too much. I can really imagine myself loving this song sung by Janis Joplin for example. Or a softer version by Lisa Hannigan or someone similar.

giphy.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree... ;)

giphy.gif

Well then. My partner in crime seems to have hit a bit of internet trouble in the midlands so I shall be going solo from here.

We now have TED_YNWA with "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, scoring
    2 points

Barney's Comments: Unusual start to this entry. I'm surprised this beat continues throughout the song, interesting. Much like one of the other entries this probably works better on stage.

Kingsley's Comments: Is it bad to say that the first 30 seconds of this sounds like it could have been in Father Ted?? Seriously though whilst it is a nice ditty I wouldn't be gone on it at all. It's a bit too similar throughout if that makes any sense. Slow, fast, slow, fast but there is no build up to either.

giphy.gif

Osh came into the round in the top five and finishes well with "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python’s Spamalot, scoring
    7 points
    and finishing fifth.

Barney's Comments: A classic entry here. Not sure I can rank it too highly because it is such a short song. I do like the ending - company bow though.

Kingsley's Comments: An oldie but a goodie. Nothing at all wrong with it but it's not going to outscore a lot in here because i've heard it so many times.

giphy.gif

Seven points down before the final round Green&Red needed to do well here and boy did they. "She Used To Be Mine" from Waitress knocked it out of the park and scored
    15 points
    catapulting them into first place before the final three are revealed.

Barney's Comments: I'm a massive fan of Sara Bareilles, she has a lovely voice. She could sing pretty much anything and I think it would sound nice. Cracking entry. Really lovely song.

Kingsley's Comments: Well this is just beautiful. I love the song and especially the singers voice. Excellent choice

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Stupid game anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Well lads. Ye have terrible taste in musicals. That is all :P

So that just leaves the final podium places to reveal. I shall do so after a 10 minute interlude.

Will they be as playful and happy as this???

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Seven points down before the final round Green&Red needed to do well here and boy did they. "She Used To Be Mine" from Waitress knocked it out of the park and scored
    15 points
    catapulting them into first place before the final three are revealed.

Barney's Comments: I'm a massive fan of Sara Bareilles, she has a lovely voice. She could sing pretty much anything and I think it would sound nice. Cracking entry. Really lovely song.

Kingsley's Comments: Well this is just beautiful. I love the song and especially the singers voice. Excellent choice

giphy.gif

Clutch

Thanks lads. Took me a full 10 minutes on Spotify to find that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Need Prisca to do well

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Advertisement