Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Necro wrote: »
    I've no idea what I entered for this, if it's anything like the last song then you're all in for a treat :pac:

It's a great track - takes me back to childhood (scary lyrics)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Have we made a boo boo there pretzill???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pretzill wrote: »
    It's a great track - takes me back to childhood (scary lyrics)

Same, my uncle used to sing it to us youngsters :pac:

He actually passed away about a month before this Walrus so it was on my mind a bit when it came to entering and there wasn't really any other choice for me anyways :)

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Have we made a boo boo there pretzill???

It was the Judie Tzuke version I linked to you - it's a few years older before she got together with Julia etc...not to worry...same song just better imo, if anyone wants to check it out.

It was the Judie Tzuke version I linked to you - it's a few years older before she got together with Julia etc...not to worry...same song just better imo, if anyone wants to check it out.

I am very sorry about that Pretzill. On spotify I typed in her name and that was the song that came up. That is sloppy on my behalf. Sorry again

giphy.gif

So in 7th place picking up 9 points is
    OSH
    with this absolute dinger.........(not for the first time my partner in crime doesn't agree!)

It's Blackalicious with "Make You Feel That Way"

Barney's Comments: Interesting start. I do like this one, but like another in this category the bit I don't like is the actually song title in the song. I don't like the repeating of make you feel that way.

Kingsley's Comments: Yes oh yes oh yes. I love Blackalicious and this song in particular.

So a little story here from me. A friend of mine used to make me a mixtape every summer of music that he thought I would like. This was on one of the first ones and turned me onto the band instantly. He is still my best friend and this song reminds of him whenever I hear it. Thanks to the sender!

And in 6th place and scoring double figure 10 points is
    MicksJag
    with "Let It Go" from Frozen

Barney's Comments: I am quite a big Frozen fan, yet to see the second one. Every time I hear this I think oh not this again but then she starts to belt it out and I get into it and sing along with Adele Nazeem :). Solid entry.

Kingsley's Comments: Very nice choice here. I've never seen the film but this may convince me to do so. Marks only taken off for the singers voice irritating me slightly.

Getting towards the business end of things now and scoring a juicy 11 points for a 5th place finish is
    Levar Burton
    with "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks.

Barney's Comments: What a start to a song. Cracking choice. I do enjoy this chorus but like one or two other entries I go cold on the singer's voice the longer the song goes on.

Kingsley's Comments: Oh yes Stevie, sing it. Sing it is right. Excellent choice here. No more needs to be said.

And in the final spot before the podium picking themselves up a handy 12 points is
    GnR
    with "Miss You" by Commixxxx (not sure how many x's there actually is)

Barney's Comments: Can't say I love the beat but I do like the few spoken lyrics that are in it. I think they fit the theme very well.

Kingsley's Comments: Right so this is my favorite song of the entire Walrus. I absolutely love it. Quite simple really but so effective. It had me welling up listening to it the first time the girl starts speaking on the answering machine. It reminds me of someone too.....

This could also have been put into the Study category and scored full marks from myself. Thank you for bringing this song into my life sender!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And in the final spot before the podium picking themselves up a handy 12 points is
    GnR

Barney's Comments: Can't say I love the beat but I do like the few spoken lyrics that are in it. I think they fit the theme very well.

Kingsley's Comments: Right so this is my favorite song of the entire Walrus. I absolutely love it. Quite simple really but so effective. It had me welling up listening to it the first time the girl starts speaking on the answering machine. It reminds me of someone too.....

This could also have been put into the Study category and scored full marks from myself. Thank you for bringing this song into my life sender!!

Love this song :) great choice, surprised it's not higher

Trigger wrote: »
    Love this song :) great choice, surprised it's not higher

It would have been if I had my way Trigger. Unfortunately seniority doesn't count for much on this particular judging panel.

One seat, one vote and all that jazz

And now here comes the bottom 3...........

giphy.gif

So kicking off the bottom 3 is
    Ectoplasm
    with "You Needed Me" by Anne Murray.

Barney's Comments: This is a moving number. It's not my usual type of song but it is a good one.

Kingsley's Comments: I like this song but it just doesn't have enough to it for me to mark it any higher.

And in second-to-last place is
    Spook
    with Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel

Barney's Comments: Oh I haven't heard this song in years. It is one of the few entries here that I knew before hand because of of my relative's friends was called Cecelia. We'd sing the chorus of this pretty much any time she came up in conversation. It's not my favourite song but I think it is catchy.

Kingsley's Comments: Funnily enough this definitely reminds me and Barney of a lady called Cecilia. Unfortunately this is a song that I simply do not like.

And picking up the Wooden Spoon along with a solitary point is
    Tusk
    (.........apparently we are wrong again) with the choice of I'm An Albatraoz by Aaron Chupa.

Barney's Comments: One of my friends was a big fan of this one so I've heard it a fair bit. Unfortunately that is not a very good thing for this song, because it was never my favourite.

Kingsley's Comments: Hmmmmm. I really don't like this song. Used to be forced to listen to it relentlessly in work. Unfortunately not enough time has passed to heal those wounds.

• Advertisement

Oh top 3? I was certain I was down the bottom, wasnt sure if ye would like the choice at all. :pac: would have been delighted with mid table on this one, some excellent songs out..

Ah two great tracks holding up the bottom of the pack. It's a tough round (but Let it go?? beat these :confused: It must be a generational thing :D)

So on to the top 3 and beginning it with 13 points is
    Trigger
    with "One More Light" by Linkin Park

Barney's Comments: The only Linkin Park song I know is numb/encore so I wasn't expecting this. I really like this one but the singer's voice is a bit grating as the song goes on.

Kingsley's Comments: Have a serious soft spot for Linkin Park. This wouldn't have been my favorite song of theirs but it really is a moving number. Especially so considering how Chester took his own life less than two months after this was released.

Ah two great tracks holding up the bottom of the pack. It's a tough round (but Let it go?? beat these :confused: It must be a generational thing :D)

I used to have a soft spot for Let it Go, until Trigger Jr came along.. now it just irritates the shoite out of me :)

Must be Pretzill!

To be fair 11 out of the 15 songs scored at least 10/15 from me. I really enjoyed this round. Even the songs that I 'didnt' like still arent the worst. There were no stinker scores from me.

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    I used to have a soft spot for Let it Go, until Trigger Jr came along.. now it just irritates the shoite out of me :)

That's it...overplayed.

Love that Linkin Park track! It has real aural colour.

In second place with this absolute beaut is
    Prisca
    with "Titld" by Christine and the Queens.

Barney's Comments: I've entered a Christine and the Queens song before in a Walrus so it's like someone has done their homework. Methusalah in a song, fair play Christine. I really like this song, it would have got top marks if the french version had been entered but it's still done pretty well.

Kingsley's Comments: Love the band and the song. Anything with a bit of french in it will score well with me anyway!

Another great track Christine and the Queens - I love the bounce in it - bright.

And in top spot, raking in a whopper 15 points and all of the plaudits is
    PhatKev
    with Sampha and "(No One Knows Me) Like The Piano"

Barney's Comments: I was excited for this just by the title. I love a good piano piece. This one is so gentle. I'd never heard of the artist before but he's got quite the voice. Just a lovely song.

Kingsley's Comments: Well this is just beautiful. Hadn't heard it before and went straightaway to try an learn it on the piano. I am getting there slowly but surely. A very close second for me.

Lovely round - some real treats in there and I'm looking forward to listening back. Thanks Barney and Mr K! Nice reveal - Will we have to wait until next year for the rest? ;)

And here are the scoring breakdowns:

Barney:

If (When you go 10.5
    Miss You 6
    Lemon Tree 11.5
    Weila Waila 9.5
    Tilted 14
    Let it go 12
    No one knows me like the piano 13.5
    You needed me 8
    Dr. Ford 7.5
    Make You Feel That Way 8.5
    One More LIght 12.5
    I'm an Albatraoz 5
    Edge of Seventeen 11
    Buddy & Me 9
    Cecelia 10

And myself:

If (When you go 9
    Miss You 15
    Lemon Tree 8
    Weila Waila 11
    Tilted 12
    Let it go 12
    No one knows me like the piano 14
    You needed me 10
    Dr. Ford 11
    Make You Feel That Way 14
    One More LIght 12
    I'm an Albatraoz 8
    Edge of Seventeen 13
    Buddy & Me 10
    Cecelia 7

Lovely round - some real treats in there and I'm looking forward to listening back. Thanks Barney and Mr K! Nice reveal - Will we have to wait until next year for the rest? ;)

I would say so. Barney will be looking after it but I am holding the whole thing up to be honest. Just working non stop the last (and next) few days.

Great round guys, some absolute brilliant tracks in there, and a well deserved winner.. well done Phatkev, great choice

And the overall scores......

There are 5/6 in with a legitmate chancee to take the Walrus crown going into the last round.

Study Food Musical Reminds You Good Mood Total
    Trigger 4 15 13 14 46
    phatkev 14 13 15 3 45
    Prisca 5 14 14 11 44
    osh 7 10 9 13 39
    Green&Red 6 9 12 12 39
    TED_YNWA 12 4 5 15 36
    Ectoplasm 15 7 3 9 34
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 11 10 31
    MicksJaguar 8 5 10 7 30
    Drumpot 13 2 4 8 27
    tusk 11 12 1 1 25
    Pretzill 3 11 7 4 25
    Necrina 10 3 6 5 24
    Necro 2 6 8 2 18
    Spook_ie 1 8 2 6 17

• Advertisement

Not entirely confident in my musical number getting me over the line, but absolutely delighted to be in contention.. been my best walrus so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nice. 11 points - my best round so far.

My backup choice for this category would've been Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, because it reminds me of a Stripper in Portland that I became friends with... Good times... ;)

Figured the song was probably a bit too mainstream and overplayed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Highlights of this round for me were:

tusk - Had never heard this before, but instantly loved it. Great choice and clearly deserved to be in the top half of the table.

Trigger - Would've won the round for me easily. Always been a big Linkin Park fan and when Chester died I must've listened to this song dozens of times over the following days. Still gets me every time.

Prisca - Definitely my kind of track, but hadn't heard it before, so it's a nice find for me.

This "song that reminds you" was the category I struggled with too much to enter; the only true answer I could think of was the song played at my Nan's funeral (twelve years ago, so not a recent bereavement or anything) but I would have really hated to see it potentially score badly, given the sentimental value. And I didn't just wanna make something up, as that really isn't in the spirit of the game, so I ended up passing; in hindsight possibly a bit over-sensitive about it as I've enjoyed thinking about what I might have picked for the other categories. :o

Very interesting seeing everyone else's responses to this one. Edge of Seventeen is an absolute belter; by pure coincidence I was actually just thinking about that song before I opened the thread! :D Lots of others that I'm not familiar with but look forward to listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Lol. Albatross is a mad song. Defo not to everyone taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Barney92 wrote: »
    Which means that coming in at the top of the podium is
    TED_YNWA
    , earning 15 points, with their selection of Walk of Life by the Dire Straits

Barney's Comments: Oh yes, oh yes! Fair play whoever entered this. What a cracker. The intro alone is enough to get me into a good mood and it doesn't stop once the singing comes in.

This song makes me smile
    r2aphCI.gif

Kingsley's Comments: Yes, yes and YES! Whenever i'm finishing a late shift of serving drunks and it is time to start cleaning this song (as well as Sultans of Swing) are my go-tos to put me in a happy place and forget about all the rotten work that I am about to do. Perfect choice. Only taking a mark off because I have heard it so many times.

Excellent winner. Used to love the video as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

GnR

Kingsley ur welcome. I love this song, there’s a girl involved in my remind me, very brief but I’m left with this and it’s fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

The final reveal is happening this evening by the way folks. Hopefully this one will be a joint reveal, depending on bus WiFi.

giphy.gif

We'll probably be getting under way in the next half hour. Just doing the final touches for this.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

tenor.gif

Just can't get the staff these days :)

So let's get this started then guys.

So the reveal tonight will work it's way from 15 downwards based off the scores after Round 4.

If you need a reminder, here you are.

Study Food Musical Reminds You Good Mood Total
    Trigger 4 15 13 14 46
    phatkev 14 13 15 3 45
    Prisca 5 14 14 11 44
    osh 7 10 9 13 39
    Green&Red 6 9 12 12 39
    TED_YNWA 12 4 5 15 36
    Ectoplasm 15 7 3 9 34
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 11 10 31
    MicksJaguar 8 5 10 7 30
    Drumpot 13 2 4 8 27
    tusk 11 12 1 1 25
    Pretzill 3 11 7 4 25
    Necrina 10 3 6 5 24
    Necro 2 6 8 2 18
    Spook_ie 1 8 2 6 17

So for example regardless how they scored in Round 5, Spook_ie will be revealed first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Who does he think he is.

Putting real life things ahead of this game.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

So first up is Spook_ie with "Flash, Bang Whallop” from Half A Sixpence. For this they scored
    14 points
    , their best performance thus far.

Barney's Comments: Jaunty entry, that'll do well with me. Very clever song. I think it might grate on me if I heard it a lot, but a magical number every now and then. Never heard of this musical before but would like to see it now. Strong ending for a musical number too.

Kingsley's Comments: This will do very nicely. Great choice. I could actually see myself and Barney singing and clapping along to this. Beautifully layered.

giphy.gif

Necro with "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof is next on the list. They score
    12 points
    in this round in their desperate scramble to stay off the bottom of the pile.

Barney's Comments: I really like the rhythm to this. First one I'd heard of before, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At times it reminds me a bit of Zorba the Greek.

Kingsley's Comments: This is nice and mad. Another one that I can really see myself enjoying in a live show. The chorus is great and the tempo changes really get me going. I can imagine quite the dancing number taking place during the middle act.

tenor.gif?itemid=4764167

Necro’s good score might scare Necrina but their entry of "I’m On My Way" from Paint Your Wagon was enough to notch
    9 points
    and stay above Necro and avoid last place.

Barney's Comments: Interesting intro to this one. This is an upbeat number and put a nice smile on my face. I don't think it's a great song but I did enjoy it.

Kingsley's Comments: This is a nice and cheery number so it is. Bopping away to this nicely. Nice choice. Maybe thats whys theres a few points taken off. Its nice but not a lot more for me.

giphy.gif

tumblr_mpbl8kLsxR1qhdvf5o8_500.gifv

Pretzill came into this round just outside the bottom three and with
    11 points
    for "Mein Herr" by Liza Minnelli, it looks like they'll manage to avoid the bottom three.

Barney's Comments: I like the intro to the singer in this song. However, I wasn't really that into it until the last minute or so. Thought it really kicked into high-gear then. Just took a bit long to get there for me.

Kingsley's Comments: This is exactly the type of song I was hoping for when Barney suggested this category. Love the changes in tempo, the singer and could just picture myself clapping along to this in the audience. Really love it. Top of the pops for me

Oh God...

AfraidDistantJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement