Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

In fourth place is
    Green&Red
    , earning 12 points with their selection of Colours by The Frank and Walters

Barney's Comments: Love the start of this, that would get me into a very good mood. Hopefully the lyrics match that feeling. It's nice and upbeat. It sort of lost in the middle but I like the last verse.

Kingsley's Comments: Ah yeah now this is exactly the type of song I had in mind when this category was chosen. Lovely song and I will definitely be putting this on in the future when a pick me up is required.

Not avoiding the bottom three is
    phatkev
    , earning 3 points with their selection of Danny Nedelko by Idles

Barney's Comments: The first part of this made me wonder if whoever sent it understood the brief but then I sort of came around to the idea. You could shout and scream along to the chorus and get yourself into a good mood. Whilst I like rhyming Malala with Mo Farah, I don't like most of this song.

Kingsley's Comments: I've a feeling that I've heard this song in loads of TV series/films. It seems really familiar but never heard of the name of it or the band before. Very difficult to not get a little pumped up listening to it. Very nice choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Oh no

Starting off the top three is
    sant-osh
    , earning 13 points with their selection of Mean Man by Betty Harris

Barney's Comments: Lively intro, this would perk me up alright. Focusing on the lyrics wouldn't really make me too happy though. Another where I like the tune but not so sure about the lyrics.

Kingsley's Comments: Oh yes Betty. Sing it mdear. Great choice. Love this song. And going off previous comments I believe I have worked out this particular sender......

There'll be a break before the final four, probaly around ten minutes.

I won't give an exact time because Trigger will only be docked more points ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

tusk wrote: »
    Oh no

Welcome to squeaky bum time Tusk!

Can't remember what I submitted or even what round it is

Also barney may well be redefining the Power Reveal here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

So glad I bounced back and avoided another last place finish. I'll happily take 6th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

First 2 songs out got 8 points each? Is that correct? Just copped it there..

In the final pairings again feck sake me nerves!

• Advertisement

So glad I bounced back and avoided another last place finish. I'll happily take 6th!

That was a great choice LeVar. It’s been listened to an awful lot on my end

Trigger wrote: »
    First 2 songs out got 8 points each? Is that correct? Just copped it there..

In the final pairings again feck sake me nerves!

Ah for gods sake. You leave Barney in change for 1 reveal and all hell breaks loose.

Stewards inquiry please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

MrKingsley wrote: »
    That was a great choice LeVar. It’s been listened to an awful lot on my end

It's been my go to good mood song for several years old and I've still never gotten sick of it. Glad you liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Barney92 wrote: »
    Not avoiding the bottom three is
    phatkev
    , earning 3 points with their selection of Danny Nedelko by Idles

Kingsley's Comments: I've a feeling that I've heard this song in loads of TV series/films. It seems really familiar but never heard of the name of it or the band before. Very difficult to not get a little pumped up listening to it. Very nice choice.

Do yourself a favour and check out "Joy as an Act of Resistance", its an absolutely stellar album

phatkev wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and check out "Joy as an Act of Resistance", its an absolutely stellar album

Will do indeed. That’s why we are here after all

Ah for gods sake. You leave Barney in change for 1 reveal and all hells breaks lose.

Stewards inquiry please

Sorry boss, MicksJaguar only got 7 points. Which may have a knock on effect on all the points below him thus far. I'll have a table at the end of the round.

In second last place is
    Necropop
    , earning 2 points with their selection of the Ding Dong Song by Gunther and the Sunshine Dolls

Barney's Comments: Good grief, this song. I mean it would get a smile out of me in the beginning but I don't like the song at all. Too much 'la la la la' for me.

Kingsley's Comments: This is just pure madness. I quite enjoy it actually. Proper euro pop and can definitely see how this could get you out of a slump.

In 2nd place is
    Trigger
    , earning 14 points with their selection of Keep ya head up by 2Pac

Barney's Comments: I must say not my favourite Tupac number but I do enjoy it. I think it is very catchy and the lyrics are quite powerful at times. It wouldn't be something I'd think of to get me into a good mood but I think it would do the job.

Kingsley's Comments: I was a huge Tupac fan when I was younger. I always defended him despite some crazily hypocritical messages he put out later in his career but this was before that. Lovely song, simple but effective lyrics but a great message. Top marks for theme.

PS You weren't really docked any points Trigger :)

Unfortunately in each round there is a last place. This time around it is
    tusky island
    , earning 1 point with their selection of Boombox by Lonely Island

Barney's Comments: Oooph, I didn't like Lonely Island last time and I can't say I like this one much more. I mean each to their own but this one would do the opposite for me.

Kingsley's Comments: Right the old Lonely Island again. I said before that I have a love/hate relationship with them. This one actually manages to fall bang in the middle for me. It's one of those ones that I really like parts of (ie. lyrics and parts of the beat) but just amn’t wild about the overall vibe to it.

Which means that coming in at the top of the podium is
    TED_YNWA
    , earning 15 points, with their selection of Walk of Life by the Dire Straits

Barney's Comments: Oh yes, oh yes! Fair play whoever entered this. What a cracker. The intro alone is enough to get me into a good mood and it doesn't stop once the singing comes in.

This song makes me smile
    r2aphCI.gif

Kingsley's Comments: Yes, yes and YES! Whenever i'm finishing a late shift of serving drunks and it is time to start cleaning this song (as well as Sultans of Swing) are my go-tos to put me in a happy place and forget about all the rotten work that I am about to do. Perfect choice. Only taking a mark off because I have heard it so many times.

• Advertisement

The Lonely Island strikes again guys

A fabulous choice Ted. I will be listening to it again in approximately 3 1/2 hours time

So here are the scores for the Good Mood round.

Congratulations to TED, great choice.

Username Song Points
    TED_YNWA Dire Straits 15
    Trigger 2Pac 14
    osh Betty Harris 13
    Green&Red The Frank and Walters 12
    Prisca Beirut 11
    Also Starring LeVar Burton Paul Kelly 10
    Ectoplasm Billy Joel 9
    Drumpot Blur 8
    MicksJaguar Phil Collins 7
    Spook_ie Queen 6
    Necrina Justin Timberlake 5
    Pretzill Adam Lambert 4
    phatkev Idles 3
    Necro Gunther and the Sunshine Dolls 2
    tusk Lonely Island 1

I'm ok with that.

You're wrong. But sometimes bad things happen to good songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Woop, i haz a mini win.

Listening to it again here.

2786bc31efb05beb05b85691b86197ce.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Barney92 wrote:
    Barney's Comments: Good grief, this song. I mean it would get a smile out of me in the beginning but I don't like the song at all. Too much 'la la la la' for me.

But tease me

Complete me

I want you to be my love toy

;)

Woop, delighted with 2nd place, knew that song choice could be hit or miss here as it's actually not for everyone.

Great choice for the winner Ted, will have a listen to the ones I dont know, which is the majority :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Aww I missed the round - some great tracks in there - Dire Straits always strike me as a band of their time and their music has dated unfavourbly for me - It's possibly because they got so much airplay - Necro Necro - Gunther and the Sunshine Dolls :D:pac:

Thanks Barney and Mr K, I knew I was walking on thin ice with a 2019 release ;)

ETA: I thought it was songs to change your mood (not neccessarily good mood?)

Pretzill wrote:
    Necro - Gunther and the Sunshine Dolls

An under rated classic :P

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Aww I missed the round - some great tracks in there - Dire Straits always strike me as a band of their time and their music has dated unfavourbly for me - It's possibly because they got so much airplay - Necro Necro - Gunther and the Sunshine Dolls :D:pac:

Thanks Barney and Mr K, I knew I was walking on thin ice with a 2019 release ;)

ETA: I thought it was songs to change your mood (not neccessarily good mood?)

Well the good mood was more of a shorthand. The round was to change your mood from bad to good.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Well the good mood was more of a shorthand. The round was to change your mood from bad to good.

I should have read the small print, the song I chose was more defiant mood than good mood :o

Great round, some solid choices. Standouts for me were...

Drumpot - a classic. Can't beat a bit of Blur!

osh - nice. Hadn't heard this before, but I really like it.

Necro - not gonna lie, I probably would've had this in first place for this round; on the one hand it's awful, but on the other it's infectiously catchy.

Trigger - oooh child, another great choice by yourself Trigger.

Ted_WYNA - Love a bit of Dire Straits, congrats on winning this round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Drumpot - my favourite Blur song, a great choice.

Ecto - you know I love me some Billy Joel, delighted to see it included.

Ted - Walk of Life, what a choon! Nearly submitted it to Kolido's 80s competition though I went with a different DS in the end, but it was a close call.

Great round, some solid choices. Standouts for me were...

Drumpot - a classic. Can't beat a bit of Blur!

osh - nice. Hadn't heard this before, but I really like it.

Necro - not gonna lie, I probably would've had this in first place for this round; on the one hand it's awful, but on the other it's infectiously catchy.

Trigger - oooh child, another great choice by yourself Trigger.

Ted_WYNA - Love a bit of Dire Straits, congrats on winning this round.

I'm actually surprising myself with my choices as 18 months ago I wouldn't have heard any of these songs at all :D

Sorry guys work has gotten in the way of the net reveal. The ‘Remind You’ reveal will be happening on Monday afternoon

• Advertisement

This happening today still?

giphy.gif

Trigger wrote: »
    This happening today still?

giphy.gif

Plan is to do it late afternoon/early evening yeah

Right so this will be going live in the next hour.

Just a bit of house keeping. Myself and Barney have decided to mark each song out of 15 for this round. It would be pretty uncool to mark anyone down for theme here seeing as they are all personal choices.

And the current scoreboard is as follows.....

Trigger 4 15 14 33
    Ectoplasm 15 7 9 31
    TED_YNWA 12 4 15 31
    phatkev 14 13 3 30
    Prisca 5 14 11 30
    osh 7 10 13 30
    Green&Red 6 9 12 27
    tusk 11 12 1 24
    Drumpot 13 2 8 23
    MicksJaguar 8 5 7 20
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 10 20
    Pretzill 3 11 4 18
    Necrina 10 3 5 18
    Spook_ie 1 8 6 15
    Necro 2 6 2 10

Barney's scores from the Good Mood Round:

Liking Theme Total
    Superpower 4 2.5 6.5
    Colours 7 4 11
    Can't stop the feeling 5 5 10
    Ding dong song 2 2 4
    Gibraltar 6.5 4 10.5
    You'll be in my heart 6.5 3.5 10
    Danny Nedelko 2 3 5
    Scenes from an Italian restaurant 5 2.5 7.5
    Tender 7 3 10
    Mean Man 7 4 11
    Keep ya head up 8.5 4.5 13
    Boombox 4 2 6
    Walk of Life 9.5 5 14.5
    Dumb Things 6 3.5 9.5
    Don't Stop Me Now 4.5 4 8.5

And mine:

Superpower 6 4 10
    Colours 8 5 13
    Can't stop the feeling 3 4 7
    Ding dong song 6 4 10
    Gibraltar 8 4 12
    You'll be in my heart 5 3 8
    Danny Nedelko 7 4 11
    Scenes from an Italian restaurant 9 4 13
    Tender 7 3 10
    Mean Man 9 4 13
    Keep ya head up 8 5 13
    Boombox 5 3 8
    Walk of Life 9 5 14
    Dumb Things 8 4 12
    Don't Stop Me Now 5 4 9

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Reveal will go from 12-4 before we do the top and bottom 3

So to open proceedings we have
    Drumpot
    with Dr. Ford by Ramin Djawadi. 4 Points scored for this number.

Barney's Comments: I'm not entirely sure what I expected here but it wasn't quite this. Apparently it is in Westworld though. Never really watched it so didn't know that. It is a nice piece but for some reason I don't love it.

Kingsley's Comments: Really enjoyed the first season of Westworld. I love a nice bit of piano and this certainly fits the bill. Very nice choice

In 11th place collecting themselves 5 points is
    TED
    with the canine ditty "Buddy & Me" by John Hogan.

Barney's Comments: This reminds me a bit of our family dog who passed away when I was younger. It's a song that is quite easy to listen to, with a great story about a dog.

Kingsley's Comments: This is a nice song but the singer's voice got on my nerves the first time I heard it and that hasn't changed.

In tenth place, earning themselves 6 points, is
    Necrina
    with the song Lemon Tree by Fools Garden.

Barney's Comments: I do like the intro to this and the singer's voice sits well with me. It has a nice rhythm to it, I do like this one. Although, the 'dee da da' bit has cost it a point or two.

Kingsley's Comments: I am not wild on this song and never have been. There are parts that I really like but then parts that I despise in equal measure. The chorus being the main offender.

So sscoring 7 points for a 9th place finish
    Pretzill
    with If (When you go) by Judie Tzuke, Beverley Craven & Julia Fordham.

Barney's Comments: Beautiful piece here, but it just isn't quite my favourite. I can't really fault it too much but I'm not a massive fan of the singers' voices.

Kingsley's Comments: I am just not crazy about this song. I love the tempo but the singers voice just grates on me a little bit.

I've no idea what I entered for this, if it's anything like the last song then you're all in for a treat :pac:

So in 8th place a scoring (a much needed) 8 points in
    Necro
    with the Dubliner's "Weila, Weila, Waila".

Barney's Comment's: Someone has picked a good one for me, the good old Dubliners. This one makes me head bob, and I like most of the lyrics, bar the weila weila waila which is unfortunate because it is the name of the song.

Kingsley's Comments: Love the choice here. Have listened to it quite a few times. A good solid score.

Necro wrote: »
    I've no idea what I entered for this, if it's anything like the last song then you're all in for a treat :pac:

Now there's timing Necro

Be back in 10/15 with the next few.

As an aside. This was without a doubt my favorite playlist to listen to. The average score for me was pretty high with 4/5 absolute crackers.

So sscoring 7 points for a 9th place finish
    Pretzill
    with If (When you go) by Judie Tzuke, Beverley Craven & Julia Fordham.

Barney's Comments: Beautiful piece here, but it just isn't quite my favourite. I can't really fault it too much but I'm not a massive fan of the singers' voices.

Kingsley's Comments: I am just not crazy about this song. I love the tempo but the singers voice just grates on me a little bit.

I prefer the Judie Tzuke version to this one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement