Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Fair play for helping him! Good deed done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Janey, fair play to you! Good karma coming your way anyway :)
    Fair play for helping him! Good deed done ;)

Those early morning runs can be character building :D

Monday - 6.85 miles @ 8.52 mins Runmute
    Tuesday - 6.59 Miles @ 8.41 Mins Runmute
    Wednesday - 5.91 Miles Hill sprints
    Enjoyed this and have not done something like this for years since my football days. 9x45 seconds sprints with a 2 minute rest in between. It was a good incline and felt like i was getting stronger on each one which I think was a good sign. It wasn't until I looked back later, didn't quite get to the paces I thought I was doing, although there was a head wind to content with too. I felt the glutes and calves tighten later on in day but not too bad after a foam roll. I will revisit this session in January and alter the intervals a bit.
    Thursday - 6.7 miles @9.15 Mins Runmute
    A wet slog. Started to rain as I left work and it just kept getting heavier. It was just hard work after yesterdays session and was glad to get home to a warm shower.(in hindsight, I should have got on the bike and took the rest from running)
    Friday - 6.5 Miles @7.55 Runmute
    Surprisingly, felt really fresh that morn and was tighter for time so wanted/needed to add a bit of speed in here. Alternated the speed per mile between moderate and progression on the faster miles. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
    1. 7.26
    2. 8.48
    3. 7.11
    4. 8.28
    5. 6.54
    6. 8.37
    0.5 - 8.08 avg pace

Saturday - 11 miles @8.30mins
    I had the feeling, I could have kept going for as long as I wanted. I think my easy pace has quickened recently(same effort and heart rate as previously but faster) so will assess that over next few longer ones to see if that is the case. This brought to an end to 9 days in a row.

Added a further 1 cool down mile at 9.44 as I stopped too abrupt on initial run and felt a twinge in my dodgy knee - glad i did as was grand then after cool down.
    On a side note, my knee often worries me but I try to put it to back of mind as much as possible. I basically have no (or next to none cartilage) left in my right knee so don't even know what the next medical procedure is here. I previously had keyhole surgery where the remaining cartilage was stretched out, but I feel at certain times, I'm on borrowed time with this. I had a moment recently(month ago maybe) where I felt the knee was gone and couldn't put any weight on my leg. I was simply walking at the time and changed direction subtly. Its hard to describe but its immediately locked in a certain direction and I have to try and force an "air lock" crack. So, about 3 mins of lying down doing bicycle legs(delighted this wasn't in public) forced the massively relieving crack and it was perfectly fine again seconds later. I will seek some physio advice next time I am there, to hopefully put the mind at rest somewhat, because there is no way I'm stopping running as I have never been fitter or happier.

Sunday - Hungover

44.6miles for week

No real plan for the coming week, with the week thats in it. I'm working the Monday so might do a double runmute there. After that, whenever I can sneak a run in, I will, but doubt I will do a long one. Merry Christmas All.

Happy Christmas! Have a good one :)

Monday 23rd - Double runmute
    AM 6.81 miles @8.49
    PM 6.21 Miles @8.50 Nice run, although had a bag with me and was heavier then anticipated. Was on my way to a house party/gathering and along with a change of clothes and a towel, also had a bottle of wine in tow - anything goes this week
    Tuesday 24th - 5.39 mile @7.19 progression run. Felt fresh enough weirdly after a rake of drink the previous two nights.First mile was faster then I wanted at 7.44 so knew I had to get to some fast paces here to progress ,finishing with last mile at 6.27. Enjoyed that one
    Wednesday 25th - 3.5 Miles @8.39 Managed to sneak out for a half hour before dinner and festivities.
    Thursday 26th - 5 Miles @8.30. Ran up towards Marlay park and was going to do the goal mile while I was there, but then realised forgot to bring cash, so I ran straight past Shane Ross about to start his mile in his formal gear :confused:

Friday 27th - 7.11 Miles @8.06 - Moderate pace for 4 miles followed by 3 quicker miles
    Saturday 28th - rest(well not really, spent the day minding/entertaining the kids while trying to fill a skip- neither completed successfully)
    Sunday 29th - 9.09 Miles @ 8.47

Total - 43.11 Miles for week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Impressive mileage for the week that's in it.

Did you make a decision on Cork yet?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Impressive mileage for the week that's in it.

Did you make a decision on Cork yet?

Yes you read my mind, I took the plunge yesterday actually and did a basic draft of a plan that includes Grads base(which i'm kinda doing a variation of anyway) and the the grads intermediate marathon plan. My work/personal schedule will change later in January which will limit time periods when i can run, so i will need to be creative how I work out each training week(Double Runmutes to take in a couple of the 60 mins easy will prob have be a regular thing during that block)

Thanks Again for advice regarding plans

Very quick recap of last year as I haven't been a forumite for long
    Signed up on July 1st for Dublin Marathon, then thought WTF am I doing, I had done hardly any running prior and what I did do was run as fast as I can for 30 mins on a rare occasion. I had no clue where to begin. Bought a Garmin which arrived on July 6th, where I started tracking runs and so the journey began. After a couple more weeks or so running like a lunatic with no structure, I fell upon the novice thread due to a friend who was using it. That changed my whole approach and now I had a plan to follow(big thanks to mentors and other contributors). Roll on 6 months and I have recorded just under 1'000 miles, PB'd at 5k, 10 km, completed my first half and first marathon. I think I may be hooked.

Last week

Mon Dec 30th - 6.72 miles(6 Progression) runmute
    9.25,8.48,8.21,7.49,7.27, 6.38
    Very enjoyable morn run with unreal looking red sky at dawn
    Tues Dec 31st 6.73 miles @ 8.50 Runmute

Wed 1st Jan - 6.71 Miles @8.17 Runmute
    Drew short straw here and was working early on New years Day which to be honest, I don't mind at all. Unless I'm away, I am never too bothered about New Years Eve plus had done plenty of boozing in previous 2 weeks. I was in bed before midnight. In terms of the run, I don't really remember it at all. Splits all over the place, must have been away in my own world.
    Thurs 2nd Jan - 6.33 miles@8.27 including 10x100m stides
    Friday 3rd Jan - 9.10 Miles at 8.54
    Up early for this one. i had plenty of these pre 6am runs in DCM training but less so recently. I actually love having the run done and dusted before breakfast where possible. Easy enough miles although took in plenty of tasty hills on the route I picked for this one.
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - 12 miles @8.01
    Mixture of easy miles and 5 pacier miles which i was progressing with. I kind of made this one up as i went along. First mile was casual then 2nd mile upped pace close enough to half marathon pace i suppose. Followed up again wit easier mile then every 2nd mile up to 10 miles mark I would run a progressive faster pace which got to 6.28 pace followed by an easy mile. Finished up with 2 easy miles. Heart beat very consistent throughout.

Total 47.6 miles for week

Raheny 5 mile in a few weeks is my next race. I would like to give this a good crack but I have never run a 5 mile race before. I want to include a few intervals coming up to include 5 mile pace but I'm unsure what that should be.
    I'm aware of the motto train to your current fitness and my Jingle bells 5k was 18.31(avg pace 5.57), so I'm assuming i should be basing it off that. My last 10k run was back in early August which was 40.52 with average pace of (6.34). I think i should improve on that time if i was to run one today.(which reminds me i must sign up for a 10K)

For the more experienced than me ,Would 6.20 pace be accurate or conservative for 5 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Why not start at 6:20, see how you feel at 3m/5k and push on if you feel good? You could build each of the last 2 miles to empty the tank.

I didn't realise you hadn't really ran before:eek: Great achievements for 2019 :)

I shall hopefully see you at Raheny so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd think you will probably come in with something in the 6:05-6:10 range but shotgunmcos's strategy is probably the best way to go about it.

You could try could try something like 7 x3 mins @ 6:10ish off 2 mins jog recovery this midweek and maybe 6x 4 mins next week.

Why not start at 6:20, see how you feel at 3m/5k and push on if you feel good? You could build each of the last 2 miles to empty the tank.

Thanks for suggestion. Thats probably exactly what I will do and then aim closer to skyblue's estimated pace for last couple of miles if I have it in tank.I ran jingle bells with a similar tactic actually.

I didn't realise you hadn't really ran before:eek: Great achievements for 2019 :)

I shall hopefully see you at Raheny so!

Well i had done bits and pieces in peaks and troughs but yeh only really got myself together in July. Thanks for kudos and should hopefully see ya then.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'd think you will probably come in with something in the 6:05-6:10 range but shotgunmcos's strategy is probably the best way to go about it.

You could try could try something like 7 x3 mins @ 6:10ish off 2 mins jog recovery this midweek and maybe 6x 4 mins next week.

Cheers S. I will have a go at that exact session on Wednesday. Exactly what I Needed there.
    Thanks.
    Enjoyed reading the 2 separate versions behind your 17+mile run yesterday . Fair play on your disciplined comeback to some high miles post injury.

Plenty of commuting with the runners this week

Monday - 6.85 miles @8.49 (easy 60 mins)
    Tuesday - 6.75 miles @8.37 (easy 60 mins)
    Wednesday - 0.88 miles @9.36
    6.10 Miles @7.46 (7x 3 mins with 2min recovery avg 6.11)
    After a helpful suggestion from Skyblue above, I went with this session with prep for Raheny in mind. Initially, I made a balls of the reps on the watch and had picked a previous workout that I only copped after warm up, hence the run spilt in 2 seperate runs. Anyway, idea was trying to hit 6.10 for 3 minutes. Reps were a bit inconsistent but was getting more the hang of it as they went along and ultimately felt happy enough after, as I was close enough to what I wanted.
    splits 6.16, 6.20, 6.13, 6.03, 6.12, 6.13,6.02
    Thursday - 7.01 Miles @8.48 (easy 60 Mins)
    Friday - 7miles @8.24 Progression for 6 miles to MP
    6.7 Miles @8.41
    I had no intention of doing a double runmute that day and this actually changed my plan for weekend with me now taking a rest day on Saturday as opposed to Sunday. I was all set in my cycling gear, when I realised that the back tyre was completely flat. Must have been a slow puncture, as seemed find when I parked bike there previous day. Anyway, I was in no mood for getting my hands dirty to repair, so got into my running gear instead and rearranged the backpack to make it lighter and off I went casually enough.
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - 12.01 Miles @8.18 which included 2miles at marathon pace followed by 2miles closer to half marathon pace. Other 8 miles surrounding these 4 were easy.

53.3 miles for week so my biggest mileage week since peak week for DCM training

Monday - Runmute 6.83 Miles@8.33
    Took it handy enough, pace increased as it went along without any extra effort due to elevation

Tuesday 14th - Runmute 7miles @8.5
    Sometimes these runmutes can get a bit boring for me taking the same route, so occasionally mix up the route on way home. I was tired after busy day in work and nearly bumped the run but glad i didn't. I went up the Grange Road Hill past St Endas park which is a proper climb to keep me honest. Nice bonus to this is there is a lovely downhill stretch then after to finish my run.

Wednesday 15th - 6x4mins @ avg 6.06
    As per skyblues advice from a couple of weeks ago, did the 2nd one of these prep sessions for Raheny 5 Miles. Was up and out the door by 6.15am. I need to run approx a mile(works out well for warm ups) to find a relatively flat area to complete these, as everything around me is generally very hilly. Plan was to hit 6.10 for 4 minute reps. I felt good all the way through this, certainly better then i felt doing the 7x3 version of this last week.
    Reps were
    Thursday Runmute 6.8 miles@8.45
    Nothing of note here, manual imput due to battery not charged
    Friday Runmute 6.8 Miles@8.48
    Same as above, although slight change in route to keep it interesting

Saturday - 13.11 Miles @7.51
    Bit pacier then I had planned. I was always going to throw in a few faster miles but ended up doing that along with faster recovery miles too. I was hoping to get out at 6am but due to a 1 year old up at 5am and refusing to go back to sleep, my plans had to be changed. I entertained her for a couple of hours to let my O/H get "some" sleep and got out shortly after 7. This left me with less time, as I was working at 9 so readjusted and made it a long runmute, but I still wanted to get 13 miles in so it meant it would be a bit faster to have time for shower etc. I nearly came a cropper early on just avoiding an ice patch so that kept me on guard for a while. I really enjoyed it and incorporated running on the beach on Sandymount strand which was very refreshing.
    It also flew by listening to Stephen Scullions recent 2 podcasts in his prep for Houston Tomorrow. Would be nice to see him get that Olympic qualifying time. I don't often listen to music/podcasts on runs but due to been up so early ,needed the distraction this morn. Rest day tomorrow, so I'll say I will collapse in a heap on the couch later after the kids are in bed(beer in tow hopefully)

47.9 miles in total

I plan to do a couple of runmutes Monday and Tuesday of this week but I'm uncertain of when I will get runs in after that, due to a busy week ahead for me. I need to be creative here or just simply get out super early which I like unless its too icy under foot. It will be a step down in mileage week anyway but probably not the worst time with a race next Sunday.

Nice session on Wed, i absolutely live for those sessions :)
    And well done on the creativity of changing your planned Sat run at short notice, in a perfect world we would do it all planned perfectly but real life means making those changes, getting it done no matter what is the main thing ;) Enjoy those well deserved beers :D

My O/H was back working fulltime this week after maternity and extended parental leave.
    Childcare had been all sorted until recently, our childminder had to pull out leaving us high and dry. Constantly on the lookout in recent weeks without success, has meant I am now taking some paternal/annual leave for a few days during the weeks to fill the void. Don't get me wrong, its great to get to spend the extra time with the kids especially when they are so young, but it will limit my opportunities to get out running on these days. I will basically need to plan my runs in advance and be prepared to suck it up when I cant get out at certain times. To ensure, I'm spending enough time pounding the pavements, I will start to increase how often I do the double commutes. I'm lucky in the sense my O/H is very supportive that I have found this new love in running.

Anyway, week gone by

Monday - Double Runmute
    6.79 Miles@8.38
    6.81 Miles@8.57

Tuesday - Cycled in, Ran home
    6.82 Miles @8.51

Wednesday - Workout
    5.42 Miles@7.34
    Found a window here where I could get out for approx 40 mins so up I trotted up to Marlay park. Wanted to do a bit of speed work with Raheny in mind. I did 5 x 2 mins reps. I wanted to be in about the 6min mark but the signs were good when the reps were as follows.

Thursday- Rest
    No window to run here but suited in the end to rest

Friday - ran in , cycled home. 7.11 Miles @8.18
    Back to work so decided to do a progression run on my way in starting at 8.51 pace and working myself down to optimistic Marathon pace 7.17. Enjoyable early morning run

Saturday - 4.03 Miles @8.37 + double cycle commute
    I hadn't received my Raheny bib by post so I got a dart up to Raheny Shamrocks from work to collect a replacement and ran the 4 miles plus change back to keep the legs ticking over. I always like having these things sorted in advance and didn't want to queue to get this sorted on the day of race.

Sunday Raheny 5 mile Race.
    Arrived there in good time in the end and managed to get the last spot in the church carpark. Took a bit of a breather then and just lay back in the car for ten minutes with the eyes closed and very nearly fell asleep. It was exactly what was needed at the time but blessed(maybe with church surroundings) I didn't actually fall asleep as would have been a messy one to explain, if I had missed the race.
    Anyway, got myself together then and had a look at the landscape as I did a bit of a warmup up around St Annes Park. Chatting away to a former football teammate around the start approx half 2 and I copped peeps were starting to get into the pen so took the opportunity to hit a portaloo before doing the same. When I came back no more then a couple of minutes later the pen was really starting to fill up so I was a bit further back then I had envisaged but not to worry I was telling myself. I had no real target here but I felt with my training that If things went well I could get sub 31.
    Mile 1
    Been a bit boxed in at the start in these shorter races seems to be a good thing for me, I have now learned from this and Jingle bells. Finding gaps and doing a few dance steps in the first half mile keeps your concentration solely on that and time is not worrying me here as I'm inadvertently pacing myself well and I now know I can make it up when the opportunity allows. Towards the end of the mile, I found my pace with mile clocking in at 6.19. A little outside where i wanted to be but content.
    Mile 2
    I was now starting to find my rhythm without feeling like I was pushing it. I was making good ground and it didn't fell like I had just ran the 2nd mile in 5.58. Had a quick thought in my head that this is where I wanted to be to break 31 mins
    Mile 3
    I had a brief look at the route beforehand and I knew it was flat enough but the 3rd mile brought a kinder elevation with the 4th been the hardest in terms of climbing. I still didn't push massively here as I knew if i could keep the same effort as 2nd mile, I should naturally be a bit quicker here, with also keeping a bit for mile 4. I was in turn a bit quicker by a tad when mile came in at 5.55
    Mile 4
    I was racing now as we entered the park and was picking off runners. Effort increased as I was climbing the drag before the 180 degree u turn. Pace started to drop here a bit and I was definitely feeling it at this stage but kept telling myself "not long left now and look over there to your right at those ahead cruising , you too will have the slight hill in your favour in a minute" With my dodgy knee, I didn't want to take any risks so I took the uturn so wide, I was almost slow dancing with one of the race stewards. I immediately starting pushing now to get the pace back where i wanted and I saw the mile clock in to my surprise at 5.48 and I was almost on the button for 24 minutes for 4 Miles. Quick "arithmetic" in my head made it simple, "If you run a sub 6 mile you break 30 - leave nothing behind , you may never get a better chance here"
    Mile 5
    With my new target now flashing before my eyes, I was now running (to steal someone elses quote from a previous race report) like I was chasing the bugger who just stole my wallet. I really enjoyed the route for the last mile and how the local crowds make it a bit special when you are going hell for leather around the final few bends before the sprint finish. As what seems to be always now, heard the encouraging shout out by skyblue here and I think i mustered some half arsed thumbs up back at him. A nice guide from him a couple of weeks ago of how to train for this race has definitely helped me and I'm thankful for that. Final mile clocked in as a PB mile for me in 5.36 with a closing sprint of 4.53 to record a time of 29.34 which was a hell of a lot better then I thought I would do. I was buzzing. and it turns out I ran a 5k in there of 17.56 which would be 35 seconds PB for me but duno if that really counts? Who cares, I'm enjoying the moment.

I loved to have stuck around a bit longer and met a few boardsies but parenthood has no bounds. Some great showings by many on here. I did manage to sneak out later in the night for a few celebratory pints of the black stuff back in the local which went down a treat.

Unfort, I missed out on getting a bib for Trim as i'd love to give that a crack this week but now I need to plan my runs ahead. I have signed up for the Great Ireland run and Cork marathon to see where I am on that front so marathon training is just around the corner for me now. I will look around for another 10k too i think in the meantime. I'm hoping Cork gives me a good idea of what I can target for DCM this year although I dont plan to leave anything behind me in Cork either. My last 2 miles in Dublin from last year where I got cramp haunts me a bit so I need to build up my endurance over the coming months. Thanks for reading.

Super stuff D, i am absolutely thrilled for you! That's a brilliant race & report :)

Falling asleep & missing the race would have easily topped any of the stupid things i have done ;)

Fair play juggling it all, it's defo not easy! Can't wait to see what else you can do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's a super run and a great report. Hope the childcare issue gets sorted for you soon, must be stressful enough at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ha glad you didnt take SB or my advice.. to hell with that. Do your own thing and just smash it! Well done!

Did every Boardsie get a PB this weekend?! :confused:

Ha glad you didnt take SB or my advice.. to hell with that. Do your own thing and just smash it! Well done!

Did every Boardsie get a PB this weekend?! :confused:

Ha, to be fair I took both of your advice on board. Similar to what you replied to swashbuckler, the reason I have this log is to get input. When it comes to planning for a race, I'm as raw as steak tartare. I may look at getting a coach route in time.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    That's a super run and a great report. Hope the childcare issue gets sorted for you soon, must be stressful enough at times.

Many thanks V

Super stuff D, i am absolutely thrilled for you! That's a brilliant race & report :)

Falling asleep & missing the race would have easily topped any of the stupid things i have done ;)

Fair play juggling it all, it's defo not easy! Can't wait to see what else you can do :D

Thanks..Dont worry there are plenty more chances for us to do some stupid things pre race ha

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191
    Some interesting stuff in there with specific marathon based sessions. Don't see why you wouldn't be aiming for that for your next DCM.

Are you going to follow a specific marathon plan for Cork/Dublin? Really think you could go to another level with a more advanced marathon plan (once you get the childminding sorted of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Treviso wrote: »
    Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191...

No pressure like :D

Super run D, you're making some major strides with your running since DCM. Here is a thread you should start reading - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191
    Some interesting stuff in there with specific marathon based sessions. Don't see why you wouldn't be aiming for that for your next DCM.

Are you going to follow a specific marathon plan for Cork/Dublin? Really think you could go to another level with a more advanced marathon plan (once you get the childminding sorted of course)

I had a feeling before I had even clicked that thread link that it was sub 3 :). You briefly had my heart rate higher then my last mile yesterday :eek:. The running calculator is spitting out some interesting times alright based on my last 2 races as I'm sure it did also after your 5k. Was it P+D 55 mile plan you did for DCM last year over 18 weeks? Thinking out loud, I'm considering that or possibly even higher mileage version if possible for Dublin. For Cork, with possible time restrictions, I will look to do a version of the grads marathon plan I think, with adding in some marathon pace stuff on the long runs.
    No pressure like :D

I know, Right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I had a feeling before I had even clicked that thread link that it was sub 3 :). You briefly had my heart rate higher then my last mile yesterday :eek:. The running calculator is spitting out some interesting times alright based on my last 2 races as I'm sure it did also after your 5k. Was it P+D 55 mile plan you did for DCM last year over 18 weeks? Thinking out loud, I'm considering that or possibly even higher mileage version if possible for Dublin. For Cork, with possible time restrictions, I will look to do a version of the grads marathon plan I think, with adding in some marathon pace stuff on the long runs.

Yea it was the P&D 55 mile version which I found great tbh. There is also a 70+ plan. Maybe you could do the 55 for the Cork marathon and try the 70 mile plus for Dublin. I can share versions of both with you if you want

There's a load of other plans in this forum so have a look around. Here is shotgun's thread on the Hanson method, with the plan on post 3 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110230843

But the grads plan is certainly suiting you so you could stick to that too. I'm no expert but just offering you different options :cool:

Yea it was the P&D 55 mile version which I found great tbh. There is also a 70+ plan. Maybe you could do the 55 for the Cork marathon and try the 70 mile plus for Dublin. I can share versions of both with you if you want

There's a load of other plans in this forum so have a look around. Here is shotgun's thread on the Hanson method, with the plan on post 3 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110230843

But the grads plan is certainly suiting you so you could stick to that too. I'm no expert but just offering you different options :cool:

Cheers for pointers there. If you could share those two versions that would be ideal to review. PM me even. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the PBs (I would defo count the 5k one!) Amazing splits, that 5k alone is brilliant.

I fully agree with T, sub 3 marathon has to be your target for later in the year with a good block of training.

Advertisement