Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin buses indicating at stops

Options
  • 04-01-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Do any drivers out there find that lots of Dublin Bus drivers flick their right indicator on almost immediately after pulling in to a bus stop? It makes plenty of courteous drivers stop to let them out but results in a hold-up while the people get on board. I’m really getting tired of it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Scrabbel wrote: »
    Do any drivers out there find that lots of Dublin Bus drivers flick their right indicator on almost immediately after pulling in to a bus stop? It makes plenty of courteous drivers stop to let them out but results in a hold-up while the people get on board. I’m really getting tired of it now.

Can't say I've ever seen this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I was taught GOSH when pulling out.
    Gear
    Observe (mirror)
    Signal
    Handbrake

Some Dublin Bus drivers tend to use SGOH.

On balance, even if I'm stuck behind the bus for a few extra seconds it doesn't matter to me, generally more people on the bus, so no harm in letting them stay ahead of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

It makes plenty of courteous drivers stop to let them out but results in a hold-up while the people get on board.

I flick the indicator as I'm shutting the door. And then I make it very clear that I'm pulling out, whether people are being courteous or not. It didn't take me long in the job to learn that if you're waiting for someone to be courteous, you could be waiting a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Keith186 wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever seen this happening.

I assume you are being sarcastic. You see this a lot. I guess the idea is stop people over taking. But its a ignorant tactic.

beauf wrote: »
    I assume you are being sarcastic. You see this a lot. I guess the idea is stop people over taking. But its a ignorant tactic.

I've seen it, but not that often. I suppose the intent is to let people know that he's not going to be stopped for long. Letting buses out from stops should be mandatory anyway. It's desperately unfair that the progression of up to 90 people should be dictated by the whims of some selfish dick in a private car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

beauf wrote: »

He's not being sarcastic. I've never seen it happen either.

Bus pulls in to a stop, a passenger who has just boarded starts fumbling with coins, starts a chat with the driver or their card is faulty. Bus stays at the stop with the left indicator flashing. Only when the driver has disengaged with passengers and he's ready to pull out will he switch to the right indicator.

I drive a car and I use buses so I've seen this happen from inside the bus and as the driver behind the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most of the time it's actually due to a late arriver wanting on and some forget to click it back off....

It happens every so often.

There are a handful that don't indicate much at all and it annoys me too and especially when I'm the bus behind as you don't know what they're doing...

If it's not as above it may well be an older driver as they were so use to A) driving off with the doors open or 2) the door brake is much slower then the previous driven bus....

As soon as the door starts to close I'm already indicating, looking at both mirrors and shoulder check among moving about in some circumstances to see behind the blind spots such as mirror, pillars and other spots you just can't see through.

I've seen it, but not that often. I suppose the intent is to let people know that he's not going to be stopped for long. Letting buses out from stops should be mandatory anyway. It's desperately unfair that the progression of up to 90 people should be dictated by the whims of some selfish dick in a private car.

What gibberish.

It doesn't block the bus in the slightest. It just blocks EVERYTHING behind him.

Other buses, cyclists everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Isn’t there something in the rules of the road, that if a bus is indicating to pull out of a stop, you have to let it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coylemj wrote: »
    He's not being sarcastic. I've never seen it happen either.

Bus pulls in to a stop, a passenger who has just boarded starts fumbling with coins, starts a chat with the driver or their card is faulty. Bus stays at the stop with the left indicator flashing. Only when the driver has disengaged with passengers and he's ready to pull out will he switch to the right indicator. ...
    I see it a fair bit - sometimes several people still queuing to get on the bus and the driver has the right indicator flashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Never seen it happen.

What i have seen almost every commuting day is car after car after taxi ignoring buses indicating that they are pulling out making the commute for a majority of Dubliners even longer...

coylemj wrote: »
    ....Only when the driver has disengaged with passengers and he's ready to pull out will he switch to the right indicator....

Nope. Pulls in often with no left indicator, then indicates right so no one over takes.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Never seen it happen.

What i have seen almost every commuting day is car after car after taxi ignoring buses indicating that they are pulling out making the commute for a majority of Dubliners even longer...

I see so you want to derail the thread which is very specific, with a whole load of other issues. Will we make a top 100 list?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have seen this happen lots of times. Its rather frustrating to stop to allow a bus to pull out and then find yourself sitting there like a plum because it was nowhere near ready.

So now I don't bother letting buses out. Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

An indicator signals your intent but does not give you the right to just pull out, plenty of people with dash cams now, i am surprised there is not more crashes due to bus drivers putting indicator on and just movng away, i see this happen a lot, bus drivers need to follow the rules of the road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have seen this happen lots of times. Its rather frustrating to stop to allow a bus to pull out and then find yourself sitting there like a plum because it was nowhere near ready.

So now I don't bother letting buses out. Well done lads.
    This.

I'd always be minded to let a bus pull out (on the basis that I'll more than likely get past it once it pulls in to the next stop) - but having been left sitting behind a flashing right indicator for far longer than necessary on many occasions, I'm much less inclined to do it nowadays, unless I can actually see the bus starting to move.

I wouldn't say it was common. But you'd see it enough to be annoying. Probably the same driver on the same route.

There is no law that you must allow a bus out but the rules of the road asks motorists to allow them out.....

I find very few actually do.

Every day is different and everyone is in a hurry and they see a bus and must get ahead of it....

The amount that race to pass get in front and then turn right but hold us up as they have no clear road to turn.....

If you can't see the driver mirror, then they can't see you....

I have seen cars that were almost past a bus when the driver just starts to pull out into traffic showing total contempt for other road users, i would always let a bus pull away but bus drivers must look before they pull away, ìthere is cameras all aound the buses now which in most cases would work againt a but drive from what i have seen on the roads,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

It is very common with buses going down Amien Street.
    Now, unless I see movement, I don't bother waiting anymore.

• Advertisement

An indicator signals your intent but does not give you the right to just pull out, plenty of people with dash cams now, i am surprised there is not more crashes due to bus drivers putting indicator on and just movng away, i see this happen a lot, bus drivers need to follow the rules of the road also.

If they didn't do that, they (and more importantly, their passengers) would be heavily delayed... by predominantly single-occupant private cars. It should be mandatory to allow buses to move off. Because of the inadequate design and installation of most bus stops in Ireland, the bus driver's view of traffic approaching from behind is often obscured by the arse-end of his/her own bus. The only way to get a clear view of what's approaching from behind is to straighten the bus - i.e. start pulling out.

There aren't more crashes because bus drivers generally emerge slowly and safely enough to ensure that nobody is taken by surprise. You get the odd drama queen (almost always men in mid-size saloon cars) who take a territorial attitude towards the roads and will accelerate and then slam on while blasting the horn, but most people are sensible and mature enough to realise that it's not a competition and that they don't really 'lose' anything if a bus is in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You know what would encourage people to allow buses to pull back into the flow of traffic?

Not having people feel like idiots because they tried to let out a bus that was indicating right despite not being ready to go.

As i said before, an indicator shows your intent to move but does not give you the right to move into oncoming traffic, everyone has to obay the rules of the road, most people will let a bus merge back into traffic but more often than not a bus drive will try force his way back out into traffic eventhough most drivers would let them out, everyone needs to play by the rules of the road

Ad by forcing there way back out into traffic they are putting other road users and there passengs in danger, which should be there main priority, not getting to there destiation at any expense

I've had cars block me, follow me and intentionally hit the bus to stop me proceeding in a bus lane.....

I'm in a bright yellow bus with passengers onboard.

I've had cars block me in at bus stops.

Some serious head cases out there..

Ad by forcing there way back out into traffic they are putting other road users and there passengs in danger, which should be there main priority, not getting to there destiation at any expense

Bit over dramatic to be honest.

If it were formula 1 speeds I'd agree.

A double decker has approximately 210-220 hp.
    It weighs over 12ton.... It does not accelerate fast at all, if there was a tip it would 99.9% be superficial damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's just as bad being on the opposite side of the ride having to deal with drivers from behind you who overtake and follow like sheep, without observing traffic ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The bus does not lerch out from thick grass out of nowhere. If it's coming out and at risk of hitting you, its becuase you didn't make sure it was safe to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Every road user should be allowed one chance at pulling a double decker out into traffic and see what really goes on. From the indicator process to actually getting out, they'd be surprised how often the private car is in the wrong ;)

• Advertisement

Bottom line is all road users have to follow the rules of the road, putting an indicator in and preceding to move is showing told comtempt for other road users, renenber the suze if a bus compared to a car, even at very low speed the bus can do serious damage to a car and driver, both cars and bus have to play there part, if you inducate yiu move when it is safe to move, hust because you drive a large vechical does not entitle you to bully you way out into traffic which seems to be happening on a daily basis.

Advertisement