Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just got fired

• 04-01-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I only started working for this company 13 weeks ago, called in sick once, then another time cause of car issues.
    Fast forward a week while working I get a disciplinary letter to attend a meeting which the letter is VERY official. No issues with performance! Just that I didn’t follow proper procedures when calling in sick, nor was i givin any policy or procedure in which to do so when I started my employment. Now I’m fired, my employer stated to me that he could not depend on me. There were reasons beyond my control when I called in to say I would not be in, Which I told him I was being treated very unfairly. I need advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Emilee wrote: »
    I only started working for this company 13 weeks ago, called in sick once, then another time cause of car issues.
    Fast forward a week while working I get a disciplinary letter to attend a meeting which the letter is VERY official. No issues with performance! Just that I didn’t follow proper procedures when calling in sick, nor was i givin any policy or procedure in which to do so when I started my employment. Now I’m fired, my employer stated to me that he could not depend on me. There were reasons beyond my control when I called in to say I would not be in, Which I told him I was being treated very unfairly. I need advice please

After only 13 weeks you can be let go for any reason. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Probation period.

You can be let go for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nothing you can do unless it's about gender, sexualities, ethnicities etc etc.

You were most likely on a 12 month probation sometimes even more....

Suck it up move on.

Obviously people get sick and things happen but they're not interested and as he said they couldn't depend on you.

You need to show at least for that 1st year that you attend each and every day.

Car issues, get a taxi or a bus or a mate to drive.... It's part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Bit much to give you a hard time about one sick day in three months. The car thing though, did you turn up late that day? or not at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Start searching for another job. You were let go within the probation period nothing to challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2 days taken off for separate reasons within the 1st 3 months....

They probably see it as a sign of things to come, and it just not being worth their hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2 days taken off for separate reasons within the 1st 3 months....

They probably see it as a sign of things to come, and it just not being worth their hassle.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Emilee

Start searching for another job. You were let go within the probation period nothing to challenge.

No contract no information given on probation
    I was just told you’re hired when I started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

13 weeks. Assuming 5 day working weeks, that's 65 days. One day fully off due to illness. One day late cos of problems with the car. Taking the OP at their word, both things were unavoidable. Seems businesses just don't care for the 'human' in human resources anymore. Obviously some people take the mick altogether puling sickies left right and centre, but assuming the OP is sincere I just think it's a sad reflection on the world, just 2 days of a 65 day period.

"Johnny why weren't you at work today?"

"Oh it wasn't my fault, I was crossing the road at a zebra crossing, a bus decided to ignore it and flattened me. I broke 7 ribs, had a punctured lung but here I am 2 days later".

"Unacceptable, you're fired!"

jaxxx wrote: »
    13 weeks. Assuming 5 day working weeks, that's 65 days. One day fully off due to illness. One day late cos of problems with the car. Taking the OP at their word, both things were unavoidable. Seems businesses just don't care for the 'human' in human resources anymore. Obviously some people take the mick altogether puling sickies left right and centre, but assuming the OP is sincere I just think it's a sad reflection on the world, just 2 days of a 65 day period.

"Oh it wasn't my fault, I was crossing the road at a zebra crossing, a bus decided to ignore it and flattened me. I broke 7 ribs, had a punctured lung but here I am 2 days later".

Sarcasm at it’s finest thanks!!
    So what I really should of told them was the truth??
    My 14 yo daughter tried to take her own life!!
    Yeah that’s sounds really good don’t ya think!! Thanks for your input

• Advertisement

You really need to understand a one sided story, you certainly can't put on the sack cloth an ashes and bemoan humanity on the basis of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can you work on disability allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

I'd pop into Citzen Advice on Monday morning to check your full rights.

Sounds alot like a similar situation I heard recently in a call center.

I'd name and shame as too many employers sacking people before probation period is up.

Can you work on disability allowance

Yes 19 hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Sarcasm at it’s finest thanks!!
    So what I really should of told them was the truth??
    My 14 yo daughter tried to take her own life!!
    Yeah that’s sounds really good don’t ya think!! Thanks for your input

Jaxxx was being sympathetic; as am I. I know you might not feel it now, and have bills to pay, but there are better, kinder companies out there.

To try to help: you should not have called in sick with your situation but force majure leave would have been more appropriate. I understand the sensitivity around your situation but parental rights are *rights*, whereas sick leave and associated payments are benefits. I don't know how you might fix the situation now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My advice to find a new job stands. Move on you have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

bluess99 wrote: »
    I'd name and shame as too many employers sacking people before probation period is up.

You can't do that on here...

As Boards could be held liable for libel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Fieldog wrote: »
    You can't do that on here...

As Boards could be held liable for libel

Glassdoor.ie is good to check before starting , and leave a review when you leave. But don't make it too specific to identify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

While I don't think you have any case here, maybe get an ambulance chaser to look at this. You might have some kinda natural justice type case......but I doubt it.

A legal letter outlining this might result in company making a discretionary payment.

But don't wait up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Treppen wrote: »
    Glassdoor.ie is good to check before starting , and leave a review when you leave. But don't make it too specific to identify you.

I'm aware of what Glassdoor is, just saying you can't say it here... :)

• Advertisement

Nothing you can do unless it's about gender, sexualities, ethnicities etc etc.

You were most likely on a 12 month probation sometimes even more....

Suck it up move on.

Obviously people get sick and things happen but they're not interested and as he said they couldn't depend on you.

You need to show at least for that 1st year that you attend each and every day.

Car issues, get a taxi or a bus or a mate to drive.... It's part of it.
    I live 25+ miles from work, they knew that when they hired me. I appreciate your response thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Not to make light of your problem but this does not seem too bad. At least you were given a reason based on things you did, even if it was harsh. I was let go during a probationary period on one job. I was not given an actual reason, I exceeded client’s expectations and did not miss a day. On one project I was able to progress it more in two weeks than it had been for years. Was just called into a meeting and told they were finishing up with me. My performance seemed to show my manager up as performing poorly so I had to go.

These things happen in the workplace you just have to put it down to experience and move on. Managers are just people at the end of the day. You don’t know what is going on in their head and they can have very fragile egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Maybe if you had of said the genuine reason why you were out sick to your employer, you wouldn't be fired.

Life gets in the way sometimes and employers are human too. I'm sure you'd still have your job if you were upfront about the reasons you called in sick, or even mentioned personal/home issues. They could have given you a few days off for everything to calm down.

Unfortunately you don't have a leg to stand on, being only 13 weeks in to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

daheff wrote: »
    While I don't think you have any case here, maybe get an ambulance chaser to look at this. You might have some kinda natural justice type case......but I doubt it.

A legal letter outlining this might result in company making a discretionary payment.

But don't wait up.....

And this post sums up what’s wrong with today’s compo culture

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I live 25+ miles from work, they knew that when they hired me. I appreciate your response thank you.

It’s not there issue how you get to work. If your car won’t start , jump on a bike , get a taxi , ask a neighbour for a lift, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't in any way take me up as having a go by the way it's just your a number and they in many places couldn't give a fiddlers.

I fully understand things go wrong, car, sick or family problems and obviously you were in a place that is exactly that.... Couldn't care less.

Hope you find a better place and all works out.

As you are on probation they can do what they like with you.

It's a sad way to treat people and I believe there is way too much power and workers are been exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Whatever about the sick one, the car one is a bit weird to state you're not coming in that day.

Not trying to be harsh but most people I know including myself wouldnt dream of 2 day out in a first 13 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some people take the mick
    That why employers watch new hires tightly.

Once they start displaying absence and late trends then it’s easier to move them in that risk being lumbered with a serial tardy employee that takes serious management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

zig wrote: »
    ...Not trying to be harsh but most people I know including myself wouldnt dream of 2 day out in a first 13 weeks.

Really. So if you caught some nasty infectious illness you'd just rock into work anyway. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

beauf wrote: »
    Really. So if you caught some nasty infectious illness you'd just rock into work anyway. Nice.

In the event of something like that I would really try to stress to them the circumstance and emphasize how exceptional it is and possibly even offer to work the hours back or something (even though truthfully I wouldnt expect any decent employer to accept an offer like that).

Regarding the OP, I only just saw the post about the truth, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately as far the employer is concerned, if they are unaware then as far as they are concerned the car trouble thing is far from a convincing reason to not come into work.

Advertisement