Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got fired

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Nothing you can do. Most employers would see two seperate days off in first three months as a bit of a rag flag.
    Particularly the car issue one. And there may have been other factors and they are just citing that in order to give a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

zig wrote: »
    Whatever about the sick one, the car one is a bit weird to state you're not coming in that day.

Not trying to be harsh but most people I know including myself wouldnt dream of 2 day out in a first 13 weeks.

And these are 19 hour weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

robinbird wrote: »
    Nothing you can do. Most employers would see two seperate days off in first three months as a bit of a rag flag.
    Particularly the car issue one. And there may have been other factors and they are just citing that in order to give a reason.

Most employers I don't think so. I've never had that experience.

In 3 months of working even half days you'd have worked up two days annual leave.

Three only places I know who left people go so flippantly use it as an excuse to rotate out temp staff after busy periods and it goes quiet line after Xmas or such. As a temp worker you've no rights anyway.

Emilee wrote: »
    ... that I didn’t follow proper procedures when calling in sick, nor was i givin any policy or procedure in which to do so when I started my employment. ..

The reason wasn't the two days it was not following a procedure that they weren't informed about.

Not that it matters, they could give any reason, you've no security anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

2 days taken off for separate reasons within the 1st 3 months....

They probably see it as a sign of things to come, and it just not being worth their hassle.

100% this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

has anyone mentioned the attempted suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I live 25+ miles from work, they knew that when they hired me. I appreciate your response thank you.

You also knew how far you lived from work when you accepted the position.
    What difference does it make?

You were on a probationary period, you were also within your 1st 12months of employment.
    Unless you can prove you were let go in breach of an anti-discriminatory ground, you have no recourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Sorry to hear OP. Very harsh if that's all. People get sick and unavoidable problems to occur.
    I understand people have a business to run but where is the humanity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    has anyone mentioned the attempted suicide?

The employer wasn’t informed of it at the time, and another reason for the absence was provided instead. So you’d imagine an employer would have shown empathy to that situation, I doubt they’d appreciate being lied to initially.

The employer wasn’t informed of it at the time, and another reason for the absence was provided instead. So you’d imagine an employer would have shown empathy to that situation, I doubt they’d appreciate being lied to initially.

You don't have to tell an employer why you want leave sick or any other type.

The issue here was it didn't follow procedure.

• Advertisement

Theres a very cynical attitude here.

I'm reminded me of a manager I worked with (not one of mine) who decided to pull up one of his senior team members over his tea breaks. (there was nothing excessive about the tea breaks btw). This was guy who worked at least an extra hour a day because it suited his transport. He was technical expert and by far the most expert person in the department.

Result the guy stopped working the extra hours, just worked his exact contract hours and then spent those extra hours sitting in the coffee shop next door working on other things on his laptop waiting for his transport.

People are human, not all are the same and people have personal issues from time to time. Might be sick patents, kids, childcare, cars breakdown, plumbing breaks etc. If they are a good worker in every other way it makes no sense to get rid of them and go through the cost and time of recruiting someone else who might be very bad worker. Simply through a lack of empathy.

That said as temp or under probation you have to expect it could end at the drop off a hat. Same with working contact.

Some places working with students or temp staff or unskilled labour you often find a lot of unreliable people. Construction used to be a lot like this. It's a nature of the business. You can't be precious about it. You have to work around it, with over lapping cover and flexible projects. If the plumber doesn't turn up, work on something else. Etc.

If your whole place is in crisis because someone on probation didn't turn up for two half days out of 100 you have bigger issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beauf wrote: »
    I'm reminded me of a manager I worked with (not one of mine) who decided to pull up one of his senior team members over his tea breaks.

Don't see any connection to the thread here.
    If your whole place is in crisis because someone on probation didn't turn up for two half days out of 100 you have bigger issues.

OP didn't say the place was in crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I live 25+ miles from work, they knew that when they hired me. I appreciate your response thank you.

What is more important is that you knew that you were living 25+ miles from them, You also would have known your problem if and when you had car problems. Most managers do not care how you get to work. Their only concern is that you are dependable and on time. That is how a successful business is ran.

Graham wrote: »
    Don't see any connection to the thread here.

OP didn't say the place was in crisis.

Must be if they got fired over it.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    What is more important is that you knew that you were living 25+ miles from them, You also would have known your problem if and when you had car problems. Most managers do not care how you get to work. Their only concern is that you are dependable and on time. That is how a successful business is ran.

They do care thats why companies mostly locate near suitable skilled labor and transport links. Unless they are geographically constrained obviously. Generally they ask people when they interview them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Must be if they got fired over it.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem.

Nope, still don't see it.

The point of a probation period is surely to give a new employee an opportunity to demonstrate they are capable/reliable.

Where this doesn't work out I'd hardly describe the inevitable response an over-reaction or self-destructive, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Possibly you might have grounds for unfair dismissal, even though you were on probation. Just because you are on probation doesn't mean you give up your right to fair procedures

https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/probationary-periods-and-fair-procedures

Graham wrote: »
    Nope, still don't see it.

The point of a probation period is surely to give a new employee an opportunity to demonstrate they are capable/reliable.

Where this doesn't work out I'd hardly describe the inevitable response an over-reaction or self-destructive, quite the opposite.

If you fire people for not following procedures that you've not informed them about, I can see it not working out a lot.

Very cynical and deliberate imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did you not get any written contract at all?

I thought the company must issue you one within 2 months of starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yes 19 hours,

There’s no time limit on the hours you can work when on DA. There is an income limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No contract no information given on probation
    I was just told you’re hired when I started

Sorry can you clarify something for me.

Did you receive a contract? If so when?

Did you receive a company handbook or access to one?

Possibly you might have grounds for unfair dismissal, even though you were on probation. Just because you are on probation doesn't mean you give up your right to fair procedures

https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/probationary-periods-and-fair-procedures

Exactly this.

Id ignore 95% of the nonsense received on these employment threads, full of misguided hearsay and unqualified 'opinion'.

robinbird wrote: »

This is the most likely scenario. Not everyone hired turns out to be the right fit and a good manager will establish very quickly that there’s no point in prolonging the inevitable any longer so it’s a case of thanks but it’s over now you can go.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Exactly this.

Id ignore 95% of the nonsense received on these employment threads, full of misguided hearsay and unqualified 'opinion'.

Unfair dismissal is terribly stressful for the employee involved. In this case it would involve hiring a solicitor because WRC won’t touch it because she doesn’t meet the criteria for a complaint to them and the solicitor will want a minimum of €600 up front. That’s not unqualified opinion or hearsay it’s fact.
    OP has enough stress in her life without introducing a whole other level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Exactly this.

Unfair dismissal act doesn't cover employee's under one years service with a company. Natural justice S.I 146/2000 and fair procedures equally wont help in this case unless under specific circumstance i.e race, pregnancy etc

eoinob50 wrote: »
    Unfair dismissal act doesn't cover employee's under one years service with a company. Natural justice S.I 146/2000 and fair procedures equally wont help in this case unless under specific circumstance i.e race, pregnancy etc

This is precisely what I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Sorry can you clarify something for me.

Did you receive a contract? If so when?

Did you receive a company handbook or access to one?

They repeatedly said no, they didn't.

It's not fair, but that's the way working life is. Probation means exactly what it sounds like, you're being judged and you can't put a foot wrong. I don't think anyone would argue that it's ideal, but in a capitalist society it's the employer's way of assuring that employees toe the line. It sounds like the minute they had an excuse, the employee was left go, which means they probably weren't what the company wanted. Now they can hire someone else and try them out, and probably let them go as well before they have any rights.

The system works!

(except from the standpoint of viewing people as human beings)

splinter65 wrote: »
    Unfair dismissal is terribly stressful for the employee involved. In this case it would involve hiring a solicitor because WRC won’t touch it because she doesn’t meet the criteria for a complaint to them and the solicitor will want a minimum of €600 up front. That’s not unqualified opinion or hearsay it’s fact.
    OP has enough stress in her life without introducing a whole other level.

I'm not talking about generic information as you provided. I'm referring to the opinion of posters when referring to employment law. It's mainly garnered from Google searches and ignores case law or recent updates, which aren't included in citizens information publications or website.

The biggest issue for me though is it's generally provided with little or no fact. Only working 15 weeks. No rights. Case closed.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I only started working for this company 13 weeks ago, called in sick once, then another time cause of car issues.
    Fast forward a week while working I get a disciplinary letter to attend a meeting which the letter is VERY official. No issues with performance! Just that I didn’t follow proper procedures when calling in sick, nor was i givin any policy or procedure in which to do so when I started my employment. Now I’m fired, my employer stated to me that he could not depend on me. There were reasons beyond my control when I called in to say I would not be in, Which I told him I was being treated very unfairly. I need advice please
    Obviously you can't depend on them to employ you :/ better off not working there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Taken from Employment Rights Ireland website

Probation dismissal

As an employee who is dismissed on or at the end of probation he will not have the necessary 12 months’ service to avail of the reliefs provided by the Unfair Dismissals Act 1977.

There are some limited remedies open to the employee, however, which do not require 12 months’ service. Such claims would be founded on a discriminatory ground or perhaps for having made a protected disclosure.

Advertisement