Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caliber written on my license

Options
  • 03-11-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Here's a bit of a poser. On the back of one of my licenses, it states the caliber of my rifle is 6.5 mm. I put down 6.5 Creedmoor on the application.

What if I wanted to rebarrel to 6.5x47 or even x284. Would I still be licensed? Do I need to do a sub? Would the system even recognise a difference between 6.5 CM and x284?

Do any of your licenses declare the caliber more specifically than just the diameter?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've thought of this one myself in the past.

My 6.5x55 was just "6.5mm". The x55 part was the chambering of the cartridge but was not included on my license. Now back when i had mine there was no Creedmoor, but there was 6.5x47, or 6.5x284 and i wondered the same thing. Could i had other barrels/calibers.

I came to this conclusion.

Yes i could have spare 6.5mm barrels. They are covered under my 6.5 license HOWEVER i would not be legally covered to have any other caliber or chambering other than 6.5x55 as my license, regardless of the info on the actual license, was granted based on the information i gave on my FCA1 which was 6.5x55 specifically.

The second part of my thinking, as to why i could not have another caliber, was the ammo. While the barrels might be classed/viewed as having little difference (none in caliber, only chambering) the ammo certainly does. They are two distinct and different calibers so it was a non starter.

So in short, no, you cannot have/get more than one 6.5 caliber rifle/barrel than that for which you applied for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cass wrote: »
    I've thought of this one myself in the past.

My 6.5x55 was just "6.5mm". The x55 part was the chambering of the cartridge but was not included on my license. Now back when i had mine there was no Creedmoor, but there was 6.5x47, or 6.5x284 and i wondered the same thing. Could i had other barrels/calibers.

I came to this conclusion.

Yes i could have spare 6.5mm barrels. They are covered under my 6.5 license HOWEVER i would not be legally covered to have any other caliber or chambering other than 6.5x55 as my license, regardless of the info on the actual license, was granted based on the information i gave on my FCA1 which was 6.5x55 specifically.

The second part of my thinking, as to why i could not have another caliber, was the ammo. While the barrels might be classed/viewed as having little difference (none in caliber, only chambering) the ammo certainly does. They are two distinct and different calibers so it was a non starter.

So in short, no, you cannot have/get more than one 6.5 caliber rifle/barrel than that for which you applied for.

You cant have a .22lr and put a .220 swift action/barrel on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

I can just imagine a few questions about wanting to sub a 6.5 for a 6.5 with the same serial. Explanation in my accompanying documentation would suffice here though.

Thanks Cass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If you are going to chance it, go 6.5x68.... :D, that will raise a few eyebrows!

Chiparus wrote: »
    You cant have a .22lr and put a .220 swift action/barrel on it

No.

For a start it simply wouldn't work, mechanically. A rimfire action versus a long action caliber. Then there is the bolt. It would be wrong (as in wouldn't come close to working). Other issues include one being a rimfire and the other a centrefire (license wise), different chambering/caliber, reasons for having it.

In short its just so far from being "close" like the 6.5 issue that its a non runner form the start.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

alanmc wrote: »
    I can just imagine a few questions about wanting to sub a 6.5 for a 6.5 with the same serial.
    Its no different to lads with a rifle/shotgun combo gun, or rifles like the Sako Quad with its one serial number but up to four caliber barrels.

The main issue is PULSE. As per the Garda Inspectorate's report on the PULSE system, it's wholly and entirely outdated and not fit for purpose.
    Explanation in my accompanying documentation would suffice here though.

Exactly. Will need some questions answered/explained, but shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

It says .220 inches on my .22 airgun licence. For over 20 years, asked and tried to change it many times.

Talking to a friend who just got his license for his 6.5 Creedmoor and on the back they wrote 6.5x55.

Same questions came up. Am i licensed, can i buy ammo (6.5 Creedmoor), can i buy 6.5x55 ammo, etc.

Went through the legalize with him, and then told him to contact the FO to have it reprinted with 6.5 Creedmoor, but it got me wondering. How many of you with 6.5 Creedmoors have a different/wrong caliber/chambering on the actual license?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

I had my first gun, a cz .22 rimfire called a .22 / 250 on the licence, I didnt bother changing anything, owned it for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Harking back to the 70/90s.AGS continually put down,and still do for .22LR ,.220 which is an uttrerly different caliber.IE 220 Swift.There were I belive a couple of .22 rifles chamberd in 220 swift around and legal at the time,when the nn plus ultra was the .22/250.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

It just seems to be whatever they write down themselves that goes in the back of the license. You'd think they'd have to choose the caliber from a drop-down menu or something.

Mine just has 6.5mm. Nothing more specific than that. You'd wonder how a RFD can be held to task for selling incorrect ammo. I mean it's not their fault if I go in and ask for some 6.5x55. How do they know my license was granted for Creedmoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Went through the legalize with him, and then told him to contact the FO to have it reprinted with 6.5 Creedmoor, but it got me wondering. How many of you with 6.5 Creedmoors have a different/wrong caliber/chambering on the actual license?

On my 6.5 creedmoor the license says 6.5Mm
    On one of my 22s it says .22 on the other it says .220

eoin.d wrote: »
    On my 6.5 creedmoor the license says 6.5Mm
    That is vague enough to be specific, if you catch my drift. However my concern comes from a license with a specific caliber on it that is NOT the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Legally he can only have a 6.5x55 caliber rifle and buy 6.5x55 ammo. Yet his FCA1 said 6.5 Creedmoor and the license was granted for that application, not a 6.5x55.

Even though he filled it in correctly it was issued incorrectly and the onus is on the applicant. Hence the reason i said to get a reprint.

If AGS have no option for 6.5 Creedmoor then one should be added. This "ah sure it'll be grand" is not accepted when its us applying so why is it acceptable when licensed are being issued.

Advertisement